Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

which one where, I know people who will want to talk to them about taking that poo poo off their hands

(if for no other reason than to prevent it from winding up in The Mainframe Kid’s idiot hands)

iseries isn't a mainframe, and installations usually aren't very old, but it's almost as hard to get running as a hobbyist as an actual mainframe is.

the licensing scheme is brutal at every level. firmware locks, software locks, license keys, limits on user sessions, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

The Mainframe Kid’s idiot hands

come again

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

googled dynix and yep, that is absolutely what I remember from my old library

he’ll yes

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Silver Alicorn posted:

I vaguely remember terminals at my library using some kind of mainframe system
Mine had dumb terminals hooked into some server running DOS. The one at school was the same, and I almost got busted for hacking the gibson putting in fake books.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

he whines about not being able to find a Lisp Machine for free or cheap to add to his collection but he’d in no way be able to keep one running or even from eating itself

what I’m saying is he’s not a great collector, he just had good PR, and he tries to leverage that into hardware pretty regularly

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

X terminals talking to unix were briefly popular in libraries, in order to provide web browsing on the cheap without having to taint the network with windows

they were slow enough to feel like thin clients tbf

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

edit: nevermind, bad reading comprehension

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
What desktop environment do commercial unices use now, anyways? do people really spend thousands on a server and use gnome? I cant find anything on google because someone loving raped my internet connection =(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Goonerousity posted:

someone loving raped my internet connection

:thunk: try again pal

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Goonerousity posted:

What desktop environment do commercial unices use now, anyways? do people really spend thousands on a server and use gnome? I cant find anything on google because someone loving raped my internet connection =(

Generally speaking commercial Unix boxes now are rackmount servers that you ssh into, so no desktop at all. Desktop Unix workstations like the old Sun pizza boxes are dead as a dodo. My AIX boxes at my former workplace didn't even have video out, just serial.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my dev aix system has twm when i vnc into it.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Goonerousity posted:

someone loving raped my internet connection =(

gently caress off

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

what does commercial unix have over commercial linux e.g. rhel, sles in tyool 2017 aside from binary compatibility with software written over 2 decades ago? are there any valid reasons for not migrating to linux aside from inertia?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SamDabbers posted:

what does commercial unix have over commercial linux e.g. rhel, sles in tyool 2017 aside from binary compatibility with software written over 2 decades ago? are there any valid reasons for not migrating to linux aside from inertia?
Nope.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

I mean, 'risk', which isn't quite the same as inertia. If your entire bank depends on a crusty old AIX box running software written 20 years ago which you no longer have the source to and the original author has retired and died, you are going to think long and hard before rewriting it and switching to Linux in case 'lol everyone's accounts have the wrong amount of money in them' or 'all our ATMs no longer work'.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

feedmegin posted:

If your entire bank depends on a crusty old AIX box running software written 20 years ago which you no longer have the source to and the original author has retired and died, you hosed up badly and should've started the rewrite long ago.

The real risk is stupidity and mismanagement.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

I mean yes, but there's not much that can be done about 10 year old bad management decisions, so businesses are where they are today. That said, commercial Unix is ramping down these days; there'll be a few holdouts for a long long long time just like with mainframes before them, though. There's a reason mainframes are still a thing that is sold and it applies to commercial Unix too.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

SamDabbers posted:

oh yeah for sure man

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Captain Foo posted:

:thunk: try again pal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Goonerousity posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

commercial unix is dead.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SamDabbers posted:

there are still reasons to buy the proprietary hardware associated with commercial unix -- POWER boxes are still bigger and faster than the biggest x86 you can buy. but ibm will encourage you to run linux on them. because who the gently caress would want to do a new aix deployment in the year 2017?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

I mean yes, but there's not much that can be done about 10 year old bad management decisions, so businesses are where they are today. That said, commercial Unix is ramping down these days; there'll be a few holdouts for a long long long time just like with mainframes before them, though. There's a reason mainframes are still a thing that is sold and it applies to commercial Unix too.

mainframes offer some compelling reasons to use them, despite the cost. fewer and fewer customers are willing to pay, but deployments grow over time at those individual customers. it is not a shrinking business, surprisingly. ibm is happy to sell mainframes and fund mainframe development forever.

commercial unix has no future. the only reason to deploy solaris / hp-ux / aix is inertia. not even the vendors really want you to do that anymore. they would always prefer to sell you linux, often on x86.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

commercial unix has no future. the only reason to deploy solaris / hp-ux / aix is inertia. not even the vendors really want you to do that anymore. they would always prefer to sell you linux, often on x86.

oracle really doesn't want you to deploy solaris at this point, because not too long ago they killed solaris and sparc development and gave most of the developers and engineers the axe. it will shamble on in maintenance mode for a while, but that's it.

funnily enough, osx is probably the last commercial desktop unix still under active development. if you went back in time to the early 90s and told sun, hp and sgi that some obnoxious finnish kid's toy project would bury them all within 20-ish years you would probably be laughed out of the room.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The_Franz posted:

if you went back in time to the early 90s and told sun, hp and sgi that some obnoxious finnish kid's toy project would bury them all within 20-ish years you would probably be laughed out of the room.

maybe sun would've opened up solaris sooner

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SamDabbers posted:

maybe sun would've opened up solaris sooner

solaris was never particularly "closed." sun was happy to give source licenses to customers.

it was more that they were deeply committed to the sparc platform and its truly extraordinary margins. their x86 strategy waxed and waned from year to year, depending how desperate they felt. at one point they canceled solaris x86 entirely, only to bring it back again a year later.

1988: sun releases the 386i, a SunOS workstation half the price of their entry-level workstation
1990: sun 486i, the followup, is canceled
1992: solaris 2.1 has x86 support
1994: solaris x86 finally attracts oems
2001: sun finally releases an x86 server
2002: sun "kills" solaris x86 sales to new customers
2003: sun decides solaris x86 is a good idea after all

and so on and so forth

the ambivalence never ended, right into sun's dying days

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

funnily enough, osx is probably the last commercial desktop unix still under active development. if you went back in time to the early 90s and told sun, hp and sgi that some obnoxious finnish kid's toy project would bury them all within 20-ish years you would probably be laughed out of the room.

osx never captured much of the commercial unix market, neither workstation nor server

i mean it is technically unix-y, sort of? but it doesn't run any significant isv packages and you can't buy a server so i am not sure what it has in common with the legacy guys

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not sure what it has in common with the legacy guys

being a prick about it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

being a prick about it

it is very funny, if not particularly accurate

the last fully integrated unix "workstation" on the market is a $10,000 apple-branded trash can that doesn't run any of the classic applications

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is very funny, if not particularly accurate

the last fully integrated unix "workstation" on the market is a $10,000 apple-branded trash can that doesn't run any of the classic applications

post it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

osx never captured much of the commercial unix market, neither workstation nor server

i mean it is technically unix-y, sort of? but it doesn't run any significant isv packages and you can't buy a server so i am not sure what it has in common with the legacy guys

it's unix-y in that it's a certified unix, and with solaris being killed off it's the last desktop os on that list seeing active development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

Huawei Technology Co., Ltd: Huawei EulerOS 2.0 on Huawei KunLun Mission Critical Server

finally, linux is unix

• Locked thread