Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
More legible, especially against dark colours/noisy backgrounds.

You could get the same legibility with a white outline around black text, but lol that'd probably look even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wafflecopper posted:

Black is perfectly legible though? Unless you have a really dark monitor or something maybe idk

Can you read any of that poo poo in northern italy?

If it was white text, you could.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

oddium posted:

i could read it if you zoomed in, cheers

Click on it to make it bigger.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I can see modders doing some cool stuff with latent resources.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

I don't know how to WC despite 2100 hours put into this game. I started an Ottomans attempt at 1001 provinces and I don't think I am going to make it. I made sure I was never at peace longer than 3 years and always grabbed as many provinces as possible in each war. Just something I don't think I'll ever be capable of doing.

Conquest speeds up massively later in the game as you pick up the admin efficiency techs. If you haven't ever played through to the end of the game before, you'll be surprised.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ethiopia usually involves focusing elsewhere until the ottomans make a play for the Levant, at which point you tear into the weakened mamluks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Doesnt the amount of admin it saves you depend on your inflation rate?

It doesn't matter how much inflation you're getting, the idea only gets you -0.1 inflation/year.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Look, the problem with boats is when they fill up with water and sink, right?

So you just need to drill some drainage holes to let that water back out!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

skasion posted:

They should just invert what harsh treatment does. Number of times I have wanted to set back rebel progress by 30% and not just farm a bit of extra absolutism is vanishingly small. If it instead increased rebel progress by 30% I would use it probably in every game.

Reducing progress should be "coerce instigators" and cost you dip.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Stellaris was just way too busy of a design to begin with. It seems like they originally came up with a bunch of cool ideas, and then tried to do them all simultaneously instead of realistically scoping and cutting things down to where they could give them proper treatment. As a result it ended up as a mile-wide inch-deep sort of thing that just wasn't very interesting.

Now that they're focusing on specific parts of the game and building depth into them it's getting a lot better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

just had everything go against me and i'm not sure why, as soon as my troops entered a battle their morale just feel apart instantly for no apparent reason

My gut tells me you're fighting France.

The morale bar in the battle screen is scaled based on the army with the highest maximum morale. If your army has lower maximum morale they're going to start with a bunch of red in the morale bar.

Morale is pretty key for winning early battles and getting stack wipes, which is what wins and loses early wars.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What is the right infantry/cavalry/artillery ratio? I think I used to do 2:1:1, but maybe 2:1:2 is better? I’ve always been confused how battles actually worked.

If you click on the battle, you can see a graphic of what's happening on the battle screen.

Basically, you have a front row, and a back row. They have a maximum width, based on the terrain and your tech.

In a big battle where both sides are filling the combat width:

- You want enough artillery to fill your entire back row.
- You want enough infantry to fill your entire front row, plus a few more so you can just merge units to get your front row back to full strength after a battle.
- You don't want any cavalry

Against a smaller opponent that can't fill the combat width, you can add a couple of cavalry to roll up the flanks faster, but it also doesn't matter very much since you're crushing them anyway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's kind of funny that the biggest reason to have high standards and professionalism in your army is so you can slacken them later.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It looks like it breaks up power blocs a bit and encourages superpowers to try go it alone, which seems like plenty of shakeup.

If you're literally the most powerful nation by a country mile and are just wrapping up your world conquest then just giving you a flat buff to do that faster seems fine, makes things less tedious. If the relationship penalty is no longer significant then you've already won that game so it doesn't really matter if it's a bit overpowered.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fuf posted:

couple of random questions after our MP session:

How do captured ships get distributed? we had all three players in naval battles, and the same player would get all the captured ships every time. He wasn't the war leader, he didn't have the best admiral, he didn't initiate the battles... we couldn't figure out any logic to it but any captured ships would just always go to him.

How come you can't sell provinces when you're in a deficit and have loans? Historically that seems like the one time a nation would want to sell provinces!

It's probably the first tag alphabetically or something like that. Or maybe the first player to join the multiplayer session.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If 3 years is a figure speech and not an exact number then likely what's happening is some of the nations you attacked and pissed off are having their truces run out, thus giving you enough pissed off nations to form a coalition.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it's not your heir or your spare, why do you care?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PittTheElder posted:

I mean I'm 80% sure I'm reading too much into it, but just that sentence kinda sounds like it might be.

I think the intended reading is "we were originally planning to do a big bugfix release as a sendoff for the game after whatever the last expansion ended up being - we've changed our plans and will instead be doing a big series of bugfix releases right now, before we get back to doing expansions".

I say "I think" because I agree that it's not totally clear, but I think the interpretation I've written above gels with Johan's clarifying statements.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Lots of development still means lots of overextension, it doesn't have anything to do with how big you already are. The big upside to absolutism is that you can core all those provinces rapidly and cheaply, freeing you to force a peace deal in the other war you're fighting and get even more provinces.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The idea is to make mountain forts really defensible (and thus a good idea to build), instead of a huge liability like they would be if you had to attack into mountains to relieve the siege.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Expected population" is mostly down to the capacity for agriculture to keep people fed. You could treat development as the agricultural capacity of a province, and have depopulation from disease, crop failures, etc. affect a number that bounces back towards that natural cap over a generation or two. Killing all your nation's young men in decade-long wars could tie into that system as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jay Rust posted:

Do league wars have different AI? Been sitting as a participant at 99% war score for like five years now

If you open up the war details and hover over the warscore, the tooltip will tell you why it's capped at 99%.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Don't the tooltips have a green tick or red cross exactly where you'd put the "bullet"? And no tick/cross if it's just wrapped from the previous line?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They do! I am talking about requirements:

I just plain do not understand what is being asked of me after "Any Ally:" without reading it like three times. Does Any Ally have to have that stuff AND I also have provinces there? Bullet Points and a descriptor of and/or indicating what I have to do would help me tremendously. If "Any Ally" had a square bullet point then anything attendant to "Any Ally" had an indented round bullet point I would understand what is specific to that and not something else entirely. I'm confused why it seems to be saying something about an ally but then also has something to say about what I have to do without any clear delineation between them.

Here is another one that takes several reads for me to understand because it is just a slightly formatted wall of text:

This would be so much more comprehensible to me if each of the requirements each had their own bullet point.
All of the following must be true:
  • Irish Culture is an accepted culture in England
  • Highlander Culture is an accepted culture in England
  • 10 owned provinces with:
    --The culture is Irish
  • 5 owned provinces with:
    --The culture is Highlander
50 owned Provinces (current: 30) with:
  • The Culture Group is British

edit: to be clear, I am NOT asking for advice here, I am simply pointing out something that I struggle with due to the way my brain is wired. I dont need help with EU4 or understanding these specific missions.

lol those are horrid

the culture one would be way clearer if every sub-condition had its own (indented) tick or cross, which would make it super obvious which ones you met and which ones you didn't meet yet - which is how I thought it worked already but apparently not. (yes there's the text telling you how many provinces you have, but that's buried in the middle of the rest of the text, so it's not as clear at a glance)

not sure how to clarify the "any ally" one though, since you might have different allies that meet different subconditions within it (but no allies that meet the whole thing).

just saying "and" or "or" as appropriate between each clause of an "any/all of these:" would also help

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I got Vicky 3 when it popped up in the humble monthly and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm not sure why game speeds below 4 exist though.