Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

whenever I see a number like that I remind myself that I often leave the game open when I walk away to do other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

Well that was a fun Finland run.

Wait what's with the Ottomans?

lmao this cheevo

Ah the Finnish line! I keep wanting to go for that but I find the start so difficult and random that I get frustrated trying to get it just going. One time I got down to the black sea but I hosed up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my big wish for EU5 would be more control over how trade flows but with fewer modifiers and mechanisms internal to the trade system (ie what the gently caress is caravan power? and what does a trade steering bonus actually do compared to a trade power bonus? and what does trade steering actually abstract within the simulation?). Specifically, I dislike the hard coded end node system, and I think that there should be (clearer) bonuses and benefits for having trade pass through your territory even if you don't necessarily monopolize.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So thinking about it a bit more, the trade system would be improved by linking it to commoddity prices and creating passive demand networks as a consequence of the development and available goods in any given province - basically simulating the Joseph Addisson idea:

quote:

The fruits of Portugal are corrected by the products of Barbadoes: the infusion of a China plant sweetened with the pith of an Indian cane. The Philippick Islands give a flavour to our European bowls. The single dress of a woman of quality is often the product of a hundred climates. The muff and the fan come together from the different ends of the earth. The scarf is sent from the torrid zone, and the tippet from beneath the pole. The brocade Petticoat rises out of the mines of Peru, and the diamond necklace out of the bowels of Indostan.

If sticking on the current EU4 tripartite mana/dev system, high admin development would produce demand for certain goods (paper, incense, idk), high diplo would produce for others (salt, naval supplies), high mil for yet others (iron, copper) and then total development for luxury goods and things of that nature. Likely other factors could drive demand and price too, such as religion, gov forms, or other events. When an area demands a good the price goes up, which affects production profits. If that good has to go a long distance, that creates trade, which gets routed, and the routes have certain passive effects of their own which could be manipulated - i.e. if heavy trade is going from Malacca to Sevilla via Zanzibar, East Africa, South Africa, Kongo, and Ivory Coast would get bonuses as it passes. Within the current system that could be eg institution spread, tech cost, and maybe even free dev.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've never once had the emperor use that CB against me. I just go "nah lol".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kris xK posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I found Red Hawk on my own but he goes really fast.

I'm playing along with his 1.34 Austria guide rn. Just pause it as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsAFZnkh7k

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Red Hawk's videos are like 80% comedy challenges.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The simplest way to deal with the pauses would be to have a dialogue option available on every popup that lets you set your pause options for that type of popup and there are probably five configs

1) Don't show and no pause
2) No pause and hide after n seconds
3) No pause
4) Pause and allow unpause
5) Pause and no unpause until cleared

I'd definitely want the last one for anything that has an option or affects game state, such as a truce ending. For things like loans rolling over I'd likely set them to #2. For those loving messages about someone interfering with my trade and not interfering with my trade and interfering with my trade again I'd set them to #1.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jay Rust posted:

Hmm. There are message settings in the game

Yeah but the UI for accessing them sucks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rofl I think Red Hawk's video today is probably the strongest evidence to date that he doesn't cheat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxddie510S8

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dorkopotamis posted:

Courtly Ideas seems really good if just for being the only(?) idea group that allows you to directly increase monthly mana

I kinda want to play a game where I lean into Mercenary ideas hard. It seems to me that it might be really good to go something like Mercenary - Administrative - Trade, maybe with a nation that has inherent Artillery bonuses in its own ideas.

e. Burgundy with Mercenary Ideas looks pretty good...

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 18, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't gotten to admin 5 yet but I started a Burgundy run and Burgundy might be broken now with the updated French vassal stuff. I was able to steal all of France's boys and become the #1 great power by like 1450. Oh and I took some poo poo from Provence and England too. Sure, the entire HRE is in a coalition against me but they're cowards and won't declare.

I don't know how easy that was before but this felt a bit too easy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah Ive had some games where I have obnoxious amounts of excess points and I'm not sure what to do with them. Now that they've nerfed slackening we've lost a good mil point dump, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

If you also have access to Divine ideas Esp + Div policy now makes cannons count as double for siege purposes which is amazing. (in addition to +10% siege modifier)

Even before the patch a Divine + Espionage game was on my to-do list

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

Same here, it just made it 100% now lmao

Took Infrastructure 3rd and it's got some fun stuff like -100% expand admin as a finisher so your first expand admin is 1, 2nd is 4, etc. There's also a 10% move speed buff in there.

Which nation are you doing it with? My plan was to do it with the Teutonic Horde and see if I could somehow pick up Divine, Aristocratic, and Horde ideas through the tag changes, and then just run around with huge stacks of cav and cannons. I had some abysmally bad RNG through my few start attempts for Teutonic Horde though and got totally alliance blocked in every direction.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

My first game after a new patch is always The Pope since it's my fav country.

It's going well.

Another great QOL thing this patch is there's an alert for when you can join a coalition.

Hah cool. I've never actualy played as Pope. My best runs have been starting as France, Scotland, Commonwealth, Sweden, Ottomans, Muscovy, Novgorod, and Timurids. I had some good learning ones with Florence and Naples too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Grinch posted:

how do you do that though, the event fires and if you dont surrender maine you are thrust into the war as the sole attacker...can you call in allies with the promise of land AFTER a war has started?

Yep. Go into the Diplo menu, click call to arms, check promise land box.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Reveilled posted:

England also had their historical coat of arms removed so it could be transferred to an ahistorical nonsense country with a name that some lady just invented in the 19th century.

Mind you that ahistorical nonsense country has a really fun mission tree and may have just the flat out best map colour of any formable nation in the game so overall despite all those misgivings I've really enjoyed the expansion and consider it well worth it.

I'm not a heraldry guy, I've seen people state that England's new flag is actually the flag of the Angevin kings, so they got it rear end backward.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok does anyone have any advice for getting out from Sweden and Denmark as Finland? I've tried like 10x so far and it seems like it's entirely based on random factors.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just finished my "this is Persia" game and holy crap Zoroastrian space marines with 7+ morale and 120+ discipline just melting everything

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cheetah7071 posted:

I believe going peasant republic not only blocks the iberian wedding, but will break the PU if it exists. I'm not positive about that though. I've heard people complaining that AI aragon goes republic too often and spain isn't forming very often as a result

Nah Laith did a run of that recently and got it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah special units should be handled via ideas/traditions etc. When I'm thinking about Marines as units I often think that they'd be really good for a country that has lots of sailors and lower manpower, but then yeah I just forget that they exist.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trade would be immensely improved if every trade route could flow either direction, and if trade flow could cause passive tech, idea, and institution spread, reform progress growth, religious conversion, map sharing, and espionage growth in a much clearer and more obvious way. There are probably also ways to fold diplomatic effects and more dynamic financial variables into it too. Maybe even have it affect military stuff such as worse morale and attrition when in a trade-poor area or one where a state has bad relationships with the dominant powers.

In other words trade should affect literally everything while it creates profit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lostconfused posted:

Oh right, you can do that. You can get a tiny bonus to siege or a tiny bonus to spy network.

And you need a merchant to even have the option of using it.

For sure you're going to remember something this useless exists.

But if all of those things happened regardless of merchant setting, in both directions, and you could only turn them off with embargo, it would be more interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just got Luck of the Irish starting as Tyrone. I owned all of Ireland and had beaten Scotland and England at least once each by 1470, and owned all of Britain except for Kent and Sussex by 1500, which were owned by France. I've never seen AI France land invade Britain before when recovering its continental cores, but here we are.

It took me two attempts to get an alliance network powerful enough to barely beat France for a stupid 12 war score win. Spain is so useless as an ally. 90k troops and I didn't see a stack bigger than like 8k because they were just picking their asses in the new world.

Tip if you're going for this: Don't go for the Burgundian Inheritance. It caused France to break its alliances with me and Burgundy was disloyal the whole game, essentially serving as a war score pinata for France. And I didn't get the loving horse event.

And the Irish mission tree kinda sucks rear end doesn't it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Staltran posted:

What's up with the wiki not showing up in google? I wanted to check something about horde ideas earlier, and "ideas eu4" didn't give the wiki in the first page of results like I expected. Fine, since I'm already in google, just add site:eu4.paradoxwikis.com, right?

Now I did finally get where I wanted after including the omitted results, but yes google I'd like you to include more than zero results.

The paradox wiki freaks out if you use a vpn

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm on a world conquest game rn as no-mandate Qing and at about 1660 I've broken the ottomans and Muscovy and all of India with more than the Mongol Empire borders but holy hell I'm struggling with gov cap and my economy is garbo asa result. Any tips?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canepazzo posted:

I'd transfer my trade capital in the Novgorod node of you have it locked down, should be infinite money by that point if you took all of Russia's Siberian provinces you can print money with all the fur.

I'd even consider transferring capital itself in Europe so that you can trade company everything to the east.

What's your economy like? Are you stating everything? Did you spam court and state houses?

I've spammed court and state houses as far as I can/could afford, but I've left things mostly territorial with creating trade companies here and there where appropriate.

Note when I say "Broken" I don't mean "I own all of the territory" - I mean I've beaten them down and wrecked their nation enough that it's just a cleanup in future wars. In the case of Muscovy, they got gobbled by the Commonwealth and Denmark after I smashed them up the first time.

I'll take some screenshots and put them into the next post in a few minutes because I usually play from a different computer than I post from.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here we go - I hope an album is fine.

https://imgur.com/a/yQHJ6rq

Yes, my manpower is hosed RN. When I last played I went through a situation where I badly managed a war against Mewar with a new army composition and was suffering more attrition than I realized. I don't know what the hell happened to my trade power - I was making literally double the trade in the 1640s. I just destroyed a ton of forts, but I'm hesitant to get rid of that line of level 2s until I finish off Indochina. I had Lan Na as a vassal and I just annexed them. Oudh is in the process of annexation so I can get the minimum autonomy in territories great project online.

My plan that I've been working towards was to do a few minor wars in the far east and south east (finish off Japan and some Malaysian minors, and maybe Bengal) and then finish off AQ and Ajam in time to beat up the Ottomans again and move my capital to Constantinople once I own enough of Anatolia, or maybe even to a different trade center province in the Constantinople node so I can concentrate dev again for a while (Bejing is at 61 or something silly like that). But this is the greatest percentage of the old world I've ever owned, and I'm starting to get lost.

I was for a while thinking about going Mercenary for one of my late idea groups to get Infinity Manpower once I became super rich, but I never Became Super Rich, so the current plan after Offensive is to do either Quality or Aristocratic (and just go more or less full cav) then Trade, and then maybe drop Influence for Econ or Trade once I finish playing with vassals.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canepazzo posted:

Are you collecting in Persia, or even better, is your capital in the Persia node? You should be making far more than that in trade alone.

You're also currently paying a lot in interest and forts, at this stage you shouldn't need too much of a defensive screen, I don't really see who can compete with you militarily, maybe Spain or GB.

Also, you're at 115% overextension, which reduces your trade power abroad by the same amount, which is why you are not seeing any trade income.

Right now I'm in Beijing. I'll log in RN and poke around and maybe move my capital to Persia, though I'll have to annex Luristan to do that.

My biggest worry military is the Commonwealth in the long run. I'm going to have to contend with them soon and they have some sick army quality. My plan is to hit them before too long, maybe once I break the ottomans once more, and then try to access Spain, with France and the HRE as the endgame bosses.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I played for an hour or so here.

I went and conquered every centre of trade in Persia (and Hormuz, and Arabian Aden, and vassalized Hormuz so I could start a defensive war with Yemen and have my allies beat them up and took most of Bengal). Going to move my trade capital to Tehran and rearrange my merchants to route everything I can into Persia, and then I'll move onward to Constantinople once I can smash up the Ottomans, which will probably happen pretty soon.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 22, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What? Colonizing doesn't change religion. You need to manually send a missionary. Unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something.

Maybe I have a tendency to immediately trade company provinces, but when I colonize Ivory Coast I get all animist or fetishist provinces or whatever they are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Looking at the dev diary stuff and I wish that instead of making new mechanics like this "sphere of influence" action that they'd just handle it through gov reforms and existing mechanisms like tributary states.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Grinch posted:

but that would involve actually developing the real game instead of making self contained ~content~ dogshit for the piggies to preorder

Doesn't the self-contained ~content~ take more work to make? Like, gov reforms and ideas already exist. I'm not sure why the Persians need Sphere of Influence and the Ottomans need Eylets and Core Eylets when tributary states, vassals, scutage, and marches already exist and could just get modifiers that work on the same logic as other modifiers.

The game's simulation just makes more sense to me when everything is abstracted in the same ways and on similar logic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get the points that people are making about bloat and development resources, but they seem like they're an argument in favor of introducing this stuff through the existing mechanics the way id prefer rather than by creating new mechanics as they are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Redhawk and zlewikk are my favorites to watch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kild posted:

messed up, at least be korea if you're doing that

Form Ireland with Korea?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm building a fort in literally every province because uuuugghh. I wish I had another achievement to go for. I slowed down my conquest around 1600 (its 1634) once I knew getting Quantity for the last policy I needed for free* forts was on the horizon and the alliance chains were getting ridiculous, but I'm #1 Great Power with insane manpower recovery and some strong march vassals. But this is where the game gets more tedious.

I forgot to include The Math:

edit: I ended up slowing down my conquest when first got to the coast right before 1600. Coincidence? I think its time for Switzerlake.

I thought about doing something like this for attrition for enemies but then I found out that AI attrition is capped :sigh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It is capped but you can increase the cap, and it's still a lot. It's especially ridiculous if you increase your garrison sizes a ton because it means they need more men to siege you. Look at all these modifiers you can get to garrison size:
+33% Defensive ideas
+25% Bolstered Defense Act (Infra + Def)
+15% The Garrison System policy (Inno + Quant)
+25% Malbork Castle monument
+20% Defensive Stance gov reform
+20% misc national ideas (e.g. Rothenburg)

This could be a fun thing to do. Might be an interesting strategy for a country like Finland which has attrition bonuses in its national ideas, or Switzerland, with those stupid defensive bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Confucian Humanism is amazing and broken as poo poo.