Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The RNW was massively updated at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

skasion posted:

Observe mode is crappy at actually observing anything since you don’t get either kind of alerts

Have you tried Spectate mode?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Potatoes are from the Americas.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's a name for Orcas in a PNW first nation's language.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You should also gently caress off.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I got a PU on mega-Naples during a Prestor John run. After I converted them to Coptic they made a claim on Rome and a good time was had by all non-Catholics.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How does having daimyo work with regard to the Chinese emperor's tributary requirements?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

KoldPT posted:

Going for those achievements you need to spend a ton of time resetting for really hurts my enjoyment of the game. Just wasted like ten hours going for the Navarra one only to ultimately give up. I need to pick something fun next time.

I did a From Humble Origins/Ideas Guy/First Come First Serve run that was fantastic. I started right next to the Nahuatl nations and bum rushed them for territory in order to enrich myself right away. I used Nahuatl religion to avoid having to do conversions and since you're western you don't deal with the pre-reform mechanics - but you also don't get their bonuses.

By the end I was so rich that I was building factories in every province. Didn't build one in every province but if possible it was always the first thing I built after colonizing or conquering a place. Here's a screenshot of my income when I finished in the mid 1700s.

ZypherIM posted:

I liked the sun god one, because they have the least annoying new world religion mechanics. So you're on a bit of a timer in that you want to basically be done reforming your religion and taking over the local area before the euros show up because when they do you'll be unable to war for a while because of smallpox. After that you're on a bit of a timer in that you need to spread out to where you can fight against colonial nations before they can really establish themselves, and once you do that you've got it in the bag. Either colonizing the rest of it yourself or letting colonial nations grab chunks and war with them every time you can and steal all but 1 away.

After that you can pick your next personal goal, because with all the incan gold you have the economy to basically do what you want. You don't have to be great at the game or perfect with your manipulation of mechanics and stuff, but there is a decent amount of challenge and a soft time clock that adds pressure but is beatable.

You can also go for this as a trial run. You'll have better ideas, a stronger base economy, and the bonuses from reforming your religion. The smallpox will delay your military expansion for a bit but you can usually conquer your entire area by the time they show up.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How does your brain react to Mali being a colonizer in the New World, or Congo taking over all of Africa after contact/trade with Europeans? What about a mineral rich African nation conquering the entire Indian Ocean coastline? How about a Philippine or Malaysian nation putting their firm focus on colonizing all of the spice islands to shut the Europeans out before they even arrive?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My Prestor John run was:

1) United the horn of Africa
2) Expanded along the east African coast all the way down to Cape of Good Hope - using exploration/expansion to do so
3) Took whatever lands in the Arabian peninsula that i could get.
4) Noticed that the Ottomans were finally going after Egypt, I declared war on the Mamlukes and took the western half of Egypt up to the Med
5) Allied ANYONE I could find in Europe. This started with Naples but expanded to both France and Austria.

At this point the Ottoman AI couldn't really function well. It kept ping ponging some (not all) troops between the European and African theaters. Whenever they were around I'd hide behind my forts. Whenever they weren't I would advance forward and take their forts. Those would then be the forts I'd hide behind. They'd tend to take one line of forts and then leave, so as long as you keep advancing by two lines of forts you'll be fine. The first war against them should be enough to hinder their growth. You'll neuter them in the second war. They'll be on the verge of collapse for the rest of the game. If time is short then just take whatever land you need, borders be damned.

I also got really lucky and got a PU over Naples. I converted them to Coptic, invaded the Papal States, and then converted Rome and the other bishoprics to Coptic.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I haven't played since Army Professionalism was introduced. What's the current ranking of military ideas? I've gotten the impression from watching streamers that Defensive is no longer god tier because no one is picking it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Did a trial non-ironman run as an Australian nation to see what it'd be like to play that game for the Australia-Hungary achievement (as an Australian nation, make Hungary into a subject.) The non-ironman part never came into play as I didn't have to reload before I put the save down to reconsider my approach.

Mistakes I made:
-Palawa (the Tasmanian nation I chose) may not be the best for this, because Wurundjeri tribal lands block you from expanding your tribal lands. This also means you have only one province of someone else's tribal land to graze from. Maybe Eora would be a better start since there's usually a goldmine in the area which means you can potential reform straight into a 20+ dev goldmine.
-Declaring war on a nation when I had no ships and they did and all my forces were on a different island thus causing a very prolonged war while I built more so I could cross
-Not reading up on how native development actually works and ending up with a lovely capital (all my provinces became 20+ dev while my capital remained unchanged.)
-I went from Migratory Tribe -> Steppe Horde -> Theocracy all while paused. This is a huge issue because becoming a steppe horde gives you the nomadic tech group (and their neighbor bonuses) while going to theocracy shunts you back to aboriginal tech group. You also can't form Australia if you're in the Aboriginal tech group.

Thinking I might try again but not exactly sure of what to change in my approach yet. Probably a different Australian nation, definitely don't reform out of steppe horde right away, and definitely don't have all my troops on Tasmania while my enemy has a fleet and I don't.

Does anyone have a link to a guide on native development so I can understand what went wrong with my capital? Also does anyone have any experience/advice for going after this achievement? I'm pretty confident I can handle it once I get on tech parity with Europeans but I'm unsure about the correct way to get to tech parity now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thought about doing a Korea or Japan game but haven't touched Korea before and haven't touched Japan since before the isolationist mechanics were put in. Any advice? Think I'm gonna do Korea. Expand into Manchuria and then try for Japan? Take a strike at Ming when the mandate is low or let them exist in peace for a while while I get stronger?

edit: Tried reading the EU4 wiki but the guide for Korea hasn't been updated since 1.3 so is missing things like Sinocizing the culture so your empire can accept Chinese cultures

edit 2: I should mention I haven't really played in a year(?) so I'm unsure as to what idea groups are good now. What idea groups are good now? Are the three new ones any good? Was thinking of starting exploration/expansion so I can snipe Colonialism from the Europeans and grab the west coast of the Americas while spreading throughout the Oceania region.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 3, 2023

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Watched a few videos and it seems they've tinkered with Korea quite a bit in the last year. Some 6 month old videos were out of date on mechanics. They're gonna be messing with them again, huh?

I've changed my mind from going exploration/expansion to going infrastructure/aristocratic (for the dev discount) and then humanist. Not sure on ideas after that. I'll do inward perfection, dev the poo poo out of Korea, and then switch to expansion when it's time to blow up Ming. With my cheaper dev costs I can dev to reduce devastation on any land I get from them. After I get all of China, Japan, and Manchuria I'm gonna go for the achievement to have all Eastern religious lands as Korea. Then I'll expand into Oceania and elsewhere as needed until I've harmonized 7 religions for that achievement as well.

I tried a test run (I'm waiting for the new DLC to drop and get hotfixed before starting the real run) but Oirat got huge and invaded Ming during its death throes, killed all their rebels, and then took the land immediately bordering me. I did expand a bit with Inward Perfection - Ming just gave me a province because I asked nicely, and Jianzhou invaded me because I forgot to build up my army. It took a while to beat them and their allies but I snagged two provinces out of it. Probably should have taken money and war reps and just called it quits asap.

I think I'll try to take over Emperor after grabbing enough land. I've never been Emperor of China before. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Edit: Oh right, one problem I was having was every video I saw kept saying "When it's getting ready to declare on Ming then stop making tributary payments and they'll get mad and cancel tributary status" but I refused for a straight decade and they never did.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 4, 2023

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Oh yeah Korea is super easy. It's <100 years in and I've got all of Manchuria, Beijing, two/thirds of Japan, and the Mingsplosion has happened. My only limiting factor is admin points because I'm doing Humanist ideas right now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

State of the World, 1725

Thinking of Economics/Trade as my final idea groups but I'm economic hegemon so I don't really need more money. I don't really need any more military ideas - +30% infantry combat ability and +25% cavalry combat ability already melts my enemies. Russia always just needs a tiny push and then I can just march straight to Moscow.

I've got Shu in my borders as Chinese emperor. Still debating what to do there. Mandate could gently caress me if I don't have enough tributaries, and it's unlikely I'll be making Russia one without cutting it down a bit more first. I'm also not done expanding - I want at least SE Asia and probably India and as many of the Indian/Pacific Ocean islands if I can grab them.

edit: went Diplomatic so I could take more land in peace deals and I guess I'll go espionage because Decca and Malacca have a ton of forts and I need that siege ability.

edit 2: Decca's kicking my rear end! I've got more manpower than them and can go all day but even with higher discipline and morale, with full front and back lines and I'm losing in even numbers. It's a grind to wear them down to the point where I can just auto-siege.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 8, 2023

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Harmonized with eight religions, had 135% ship durability, and had every Eastern religious province in my nation.

Final Korea borders from my game. A really fun run! I ended up with over 9,000 development. By the end I had enough monarch points to buy tech 11 years ahead of time and I'd develop an entire state up to 30+ dev and then I'd look and I"d still have enough to buy the tech. Amazing. I could have broken 10k, maybe 11k, development if I hadn't bought any tech before getting the neighbor bonus. The Korea region had each province more developed than Beijing. Really makes me wish the auto-exporter to Victoria 3 was better because I'd like to continue this game there but the exporter is still so janky.

I wish India hadn't coalesced into one great power because the hell wars were really annoying, especially when I used the Imperialism CB and their capital was just stuck in the middle of the subcontinent, surrounded by forts upon forts. I also wish Malacca didn't have a fort every province. Made getting the last Buddhist province from them a pain in the rear end.

I'm doing a France game next. I know everyone's focus is on the middle east because that's the latest DLC for this game but I haven't played France in a few years. Definitely before the revolutionary zeal mechanic was introduced. What's the process for going revolutionary nowadays?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 9, 2023

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

When you complete the first mission int he religious part of the tree, you can select whether you want Sunni, Shia, or Zoroastrian missions. I believe selecting Zoroastrian will also begin an event chain which converts your country

Warning: It will cause a LOT of fairly large rebellion stacks so make sure your army and manpower are prepared.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Was thinking of doing a pirate nation. Is So/Tsushima any fun or is it just frustrating throwing your 1/1/1 OPM into the Japanese Unification Wars?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Groke posted:

No, I had fun making Pirate Japan some patches ago. Your coastal raids give you enough cash to afford the most powerful navy in Japan and mercs above force limit, which is good enough to give you an edge over most other daimyos and their allies. Find a weak spot and take over some of the others and build a base strong enough to challenge the Shogun. Tip: Concentrate on taking over one of the smaller islands in Japan proper first, then you can be clever and block off straits at will to trap armies etc. when fighting the other guys.

Be aware that as a republic you cannot usurp the Shogunate, only destroy it; and forming Japan as a pirate republic will just create pirate republic Japan. (You can get out of being a pirate by taking the Mandate of Heaven though. But tall colonial pirate Japan is a pretty fun game.) Also like any daimyo you cannot really expand outside of Japan until the Shogunate is taken down, except by colonizing (which will at least give you better raiding range; but you might well be able to take Kyoto before you even unlock any idea groups).

I united Japan as a pirate republic by 1488 but had yet to get admin 4 because of all the coring I did. I then went exploration/expansion and began to colonize Cascadia, California, and Oceania. I have most of the islands in Malacca/Moluccas (except three islands owned by Spain and Portugal who showed up way too early, and 3/4 of the island with a land connection to Malacca) and can raid coasts from northern Manchuria to the tip of India. I get so much loving money from raiding it is absurd. I've made enough manufactories off raiding that I can now make 3 or so of them a year off of normal income.

My navies can't be beaten even by Spain+Portugal but I made the mistake of making Philippines and everything south a trade company. With only Japan and Taiwan as states I can only field roughly three armies.

My main issue is I've not played a republic possibly ever before and I do not know how to juggle republic tradition effectively. So there are times when I've got plentiful mana points and other times when I'm just dire on them. The result is I'm 1-2 techs behind the Europeans/Korea at all times.

Spain+Portugal just declared war on California, dragging me and Cascadia into the war. I'm pretty sure they'll win but I'm not playing it out because I made enough mistakes and plan on trying again after the next patch. Mainly I need to learn how to juggle Republican Tradition so I can have strong rulers most consistently. And maybe I won't colonize North America because my colonies there are so weak compared to Mexico that it's inevitable I"ll get into a war where I just lose them.

Still it's been a fun game. I've never tried a daimyo swarm Japan game (last time I played Japan before this was before that was added as a mechanic) so maybe I'll try that as Hosokawa or Oda or something. I just need to take Kyoto, not form Japan, and make people outside of Japan my vassals, right? I'm confident I can unify Japan and then expand no problem since I just did it with So and that's a much rougher spot than any other daimyo.

e: Also I was the unluckiest motherfucker when it came to events regarding stability and republican tradition. I lost 20 republican tradition in one year just due to events and I could never get stability reliably above +1 because of all the events dragging me down.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 16, 2024

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I'm playing as the Avengenin Kingdom for 50 years after the Reformation. We're almost to the next age. I have not gotten a pop up event called Church of England to let me form the Church of England (as I'm seeing is the process online), nor am I seeing a decision or an option in the religious conversion menu. My only options are Protestant and Reformed. If I turn on spectate mode, the first thing the AI does is convert to Anglican, so I know it's possible. How do I do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yep. Moving the capital back to London fixed it. Thank you.