Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

lazy title oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

accruing post points to fill my posting bar, at which point the post button unlocks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Pharnakes posted:

One of the features I best liked in Europa Barbarorum was the this year in history popups. Yearly wouldn't be right in EU4 but maybe century or half century events with a brief rundown of what your nation was up to at that time would be cool, so you could compare how your world is unfolding against reality, which is always one of the coolest bits of map games imho.

isn't that the idea with ages and things like the league war

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

would be nice to get the orthodox benefits of third rome without also giving russia an ungodly portal to the land of neverending soldiers

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Drone posted:

Unfortunately I can't really recommend any specific EU4 Youtubers, as they all have their ups and downs

florryworry and siuking are both super good at the game but they're problematic

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah florry is less "how do i make a claim to avoid no cb wars" and more "how do i exploit the only event in the game that changes government to steppe horde to get a horde United States"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

being of the leader of the protestant league is insanely good because it means the war will actually fire instead of petering out after 50 years of cold war

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if you have hostile core creation +50% in your national ideas

i hate you

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why is paradox still nerfing ottomans when ming is more ridiculous than they ever were? Ottomans being a powerhouse into the 1600s made sense but they're dying now lol

not many turks buying eu4 i guess

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Contingency Plan posted:

Any tips for getting an Ardabil game off the ground? You start with one 9 dev province, a tiny army, Qara Qoyunlu hates your guts and nobody important is willing to ally you.

start a war, offer to become their vassal in the peace deal, get your independence supported by their rivals and take land in the peace deal

this might not work but it's worth trying

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

rights of man has ruler/leader traits, consorts (which means almost never having a regency), disinherting bad heirs, special prussia government where all rulers have at least 3 mil, coptic bonuses for good good copttomans play, special ottoman government for normal ottomans play, strengthen government

third rome makes russia super strong and has the orthodox bonuses, which are all pretty good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

mothballing forts and losing out on that tiny drip drop sweet army tradition trickle... no thanky

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

here's a cool fort trick for fun and profit: if you start a siege of a fort that was mothballed before the next month tick, it will always treat it as an unfortified province (even if they start paying for it (and they will)) and will only take one siege phase to conquer

so always check for mothballed forts before you go to war, start your wars at the beginning of the month, and beeline for mothballed forts if you can make it in 30 days

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i hope they're giving us the cinematic camera control. let me adjust the pitch. let me rotate. thank you

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it still sucks and offensive/quantity/quality are way better

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ahhhhh i wish i could see europe so badly

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh sorry no i made that for my coptoman run and forgot to change it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

What was your strategy for this? I'm not exactly having difficulties but the Ottomans don't seem to be having trouble in any of my games so far and the Mamluks always seem to be wildly behind on mil tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFv9yo04yjA

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

ahhhhh i wish i could see europe so badly

scotland

e: teutonic order formed prussia and then got crushed by a migrating lubeck

oddium fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 23, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i made half the hre really mad but they're not coalitioning me and i'm afraid if i ever reload a save before they calm down they're all going to coalition me at once

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the favor system sucks. they already agreed to ally me, let me immediately swing them around like a club to smash people way stronger than me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yes... finally earned 10 Bohemia Fun Bucks. now to redeem them at the prize counter for a set of berlin-shaped vampire teeth

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hello i forget. i know you can't declare war on the hre if you're in allied and in a war with the emperor, but you can declare a war if you're already fighting the emperor in a non-hre defense right. so attack ireland, they call in austria, declare on ragusa, whom austria would defend as part of the hre

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

rude beyond belief

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's fine, i just got austria to break all their alliances in the first war and stomped them when they came to defend ragusa as a broken wreck. the hre is dead

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah you could start in england and take some place in tunis as well for mad range

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't like merc ideas ever since they made mercs cost so much. but burgundy is basically france jr i guess and i still like it because it was my first nation

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

burgundy deffo did not have an exception from dutch rebels when i did Burgundian Conquest in 1.18

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

That's the kind of thing that usually gets fixed pretty quickly, quicker than Ming anyhow.

i only read like five of the posts but what is there to fix

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there's a perpetual cycle that countries go through that determines what happens with the "top" royal marriage if the country dies without an heir. it's Foreign Dynasty on Throne - > Personal Union -> Straight Up Inheritance. the last two obvs have waaaay smaller windows than just Dynasty on Throne and a bunch of stuff advances or resets the cycle. it's not very well documented

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hello groogy if you want to fix 1700+ please remove the reputation sabotaged and discontent sown. it sucks to perpetually be at -2 unrest and -3 (!!!!) dip rep

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Groogy posted:

but I like discontent sown :(
Used it a lot in MP

i need that dip rep my dude

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the wise Raja bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between india & germany. you imbecile. you moron"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Nice. That looks like one of the harder ones to pull off

yeah i had a lot of good luck i think. i beat the ottomans to the jerusalem area which let me get cyprus, which let me use the knights and their various baby alliances as my door to europe.

the reformations hit europe hard, so that when the Diet of Wein came, the only catholics left were austria, france, venice, ragusa, and cologne. the emperorship became hereditary, but then cologne and ragusa became electors so a vassalization and couple of no cbs later the hre was gone.

france ate castile so there was only one real superpower i was afraid of in europe, but they never allied anyone but venice. they took defender of the catholic faith but it obviously didn't matter

to the central indians, rajput cultures, and bohemians:

oddium posted:

if you have hostile core creation +50% in your national ideas

i hate you

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

holy moly i want to do a third way mughals now but the Legalism/Mysticism flip suuuuuuuuuuucks. i'm never going to be anywhere near mysticism with all these heathen wars. goodbye missionary strength + morale........

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Pro tip Baluchistan has exactly enough development that you can shift to Baluchi as Hormuz if you don't conquer any other stated provinces before then. And also Hormuz can flip Ibadi if you send a missionary to the right province on day 1 and then accept rebel demands.

If you just want to do Third Way you might want to forget about going Mughals since Oman gets the Feudal Theocracy government which makes conversions a lot easier, their NIs are pretty awful though. If you're dedicated enough to a bit of rebel fuckery you might have an easier time with Rassids => Yemen since their ideas are fantastic (other than no RCC) and you can start scum until their pretender rebel stack has a god monarch attached.

As a Feudal Theocracy I actually prefer legalism over mysticism anyway, +1 missionary +1% missionary strength is more than good enough as a baseline for conversions.

you gotta start as one of the three ibadi nations to be eligible for the achievement and i ain't sticking with Boaty McBoatface's ideas, or their lack of permanent claims on one of the richest regions in the world

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

fun fact: for Choson One you have to start as korea, but there's nothing saying you can't vassal switch, and there's nothing saying the player nation has to own all the eastern religious provinces. so you could theoretically:

vassal switch to a manchu tribe
form manchu
conquer a specific aztec city
get an event to embrace Nahuatlism
crush asia under the scales of the winged serpent
keep korea alive on a tiny island with the only confucian province

which i was in the process of doing before i got bored

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

remen has a video about professionalism and how it was a nerf to quantity, which he no longer usually takes first. large force limits are now a double edged sword...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

People take quantity? first?

quantity is really good

cheap units
more units
more cheap units

good policies too. i don't know why everyone here hates it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in my Rajput Reich run i was in a perpetual state of endgame wars, fielding and reinforcing ~220 units. never dipped below 60k manpower, never suffered a deficit from reinforcing because cheaper units means cheaper maintenance and reinforce cost.

quantity is good, to me

less does more with quality/offensive/mercs but you're going to run out of money or manpower or both