Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Edit: Turns out open beta isn't actually open, you need to have LiF:YO or buy a backer package.

http://lifeisfeudal.com/
http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/q-a-with-bobik-about-the-upcoming-obt-release-transcri-t24763/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9gt4vLo28

Life is Feudal is that medieval pvp sandbox you heard about a few years ago, the one that said it was going to be an MMO but then realized MMOs were hard, so they released Life Is Feudal: Your Own as a multiplayer game with private servers.

Then they released a single player village management game, Forest Village, using the exact same engine and assets, because they needed even more money and still could not make an MMO.

Now, after having taken a bunch of suckers for a ride, they're almost ready to deliver the MMO part. Open beta begins Nov. 17th Nov. 18th.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the first game they released was p bad

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm dumb and I like this game. What's the deal with goon guild on the mmo tomorrow

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
im a sucker for dumb rear end pvp sandbox mmos but somebody convince me why i should spend a bunch of money to play this beta

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Suxpool posted:

im a sucker for dumb rear end pvp sandbox mmos but somebody convince me why i should spend a bunch of money to play this beta

You can worship the devil and grief people to ruin their homes they spent hours building and the gear they spent more hours on

release trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9gt4vLo28

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 17, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

can you play the beta for free since its an open beta?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

queeb posted:

can you play the beta for free since its an open beta?

only if you own the original game

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
how many people are playing this turd?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Suxpool posted:

how many people are playing this turd?

Like in general or goons. In general there's a few thousand

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Release has been delayed to tomorrow morning, and apparently there is a Free To Play island, but you can get a ticket in-game to the main game world somehow

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i have the first game so i could play this the question is do i want to i mean destiny 2 and breath of the wild plus i have to play more warhams deuce

:thunk:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Launch has been an absolute clusterfuck so uh, stay away for now

Bl3ss3D
Aug 15, 2014

Im game to play if we got peeps if not im not gnna waste my time with sweaty fat kids in LIF i only game with fellow Goons

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I'll play with you gents. From what I understand it's $10 to get off newbie island using a "free" account...

I think...

The website is a clusterfuck for info but that's what I was told on a twitch stream.

Edit: Ok. The cheapest package is $30. This is the exact opposite of an "open" beta. It's a paid closed beta.
https://play.lifeisfeudal.com/

$30 isn't bad compared to many early access pieces of poo poo.

Need at least 10 people to form a Guild though and claim land, which doesn't cost real $$$. Less than 10 you form a "Band" of mercenaries that can kind of work together but nobody can claim land unless you pay for the premium sub which comes automatically with the $30 package and you have 30 days to find your plot of land and you get up to 150 cells of land or something. Once the premium goes away, you have to spend real $$$ to get God's Favor in order to claim more land.

So this is a social game, in order to get "free" land you need a Guild. At least from what I understand.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 18, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We have a goon group that is going to play which I'm sure others will come in to elaborate on/make a steam group for, but at the moment launch is kind of a clusterfuck with problems connecting to the update server to download the latest version.

Give it a day or so, we have about 6 of us from the old Camping the Stairs mumble that are going to play so there should be enough goons to get a guild claim going. Also apparently to put a guild claim down you need a copper coin, which you can get from selling junk (a bone glue is good enough from what I saw) at trade posts. You also need preparations and stuff but that's all things we can get wherever.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 18, 2017

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Hello boys,

We have a group of about six goons who are all looking to get into the MMO, so far we have not been able to do much because of all the connection issues. If any of you are interested in grouping up with us we use our own private mumble server.

Address - grover.house
Port - 64738
Password - lljk

We all played a good bit of LIF:YO so for the most part we know what we're doing

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SabinBlitz posted:

Edit: Ok. The cheapest package is $30. This is the exact opposite of an "open" beta. It's a paid closed beta.
https://play.lifeisfeudal.com/

welp that's pretty scummy, guess I won't be playing after all.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
If you bought Your Own then you can get into the open beta. Well, you're entitled to at least. Most people are having no luck actually getting into the game though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The launch has been an unmitigated disaster but if we get a good goon group going I'd still be down. I could dope in a few more ppl

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I was able to connect and have been trying to figure out how to play this game. Ready to join up with Goons. In as Poopay Scooter

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

welp that's pretty scummy, guess I won't be playing after all.

I mean, it's pay to play, you have to buy the game to play it. They call it open beta, but it's pretty much a soft launch since there won't be any wipes from now on.

In as Justin Tyme, I am having a bear of a time just staying alive let alone finding a decent spot to settle. We basically need to find an area with a few key things:

-Relatively flat, to save on terraforming labor
-Plenty of trees, for building material (hauling logs is a chore)
-Near clay, for building material
-Near iron, which is self explanatory. This is the problem, though: You need 30 mining to be able to prospect for iron, which requires 60 digging and 60 artisan. Getting that much skill is going to take a few days or so of grinding, so we can't be absolutely certain wherever we end up living has iron until then. Settling near ridgelines and mountains is safe for iron generally, but you still can't be sure.

Right now I am pretty much just looking around places that seem suitable on the map, as should everyone else. Report back what seems good and if everyone seems to agree we can get started. Choosing a good location is critical because of how much of a time sink this game can be. If we find we have to up and move elsewhere it better be for a drat good reason i.e. there is no iron within 1000 yards. The game is loving staggeringly massive, it took me like an hour to cross the desert alone.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 19, 2017

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

If anyone wants to add me to Steam my username is the same as my SA profile name.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So hills are perfect because more often than not they're relatively flat on top. And mining is easy.

Find a hill near water and we are in the promised land

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Also did Sean Bean do the VO on the intro because it really sounds like it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrTargetPractice posted:

Also did Sean Bean do the VO on the intro because it really sounds like it.

Bean impersonator is my guess

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Pro-tip: you can right lcik an action to set it as the default (left click) action. This is making grinding skills way easier

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrTargetPractice posted:

Pro-tip: you can right lcik an action to set it as the default (left click) action. This is making grinding skills way easier

Play the minigame in the companion app to grind when you're offline.

Playing the minigame at all gets you a resource, and the better you do the higher quality/rarer mats you get.

When you log on, you get the resource you got through the minigame by doing the action. IE, do the logging game, and you'll chop a tree instantly and get better wood or rare blueprints too

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Here is a map of the mainland. To the right is the "freebie" island.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

So does this mean we have at least 10 guys to form a guild?

Here is the MMO Launcher by the way. It's unavailable to download on Steam right now.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 19, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SabinBlitz posted:

So does this mean we have at least 10 guys to form a guild?

If we get all goons and people tagging along onto one server. I can't even get on.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Then I guess I better start downloading the game. I just don't want to play solo and only if there are at least 10 people willing to go at it as a goon.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Yeah I just got kicked off the server. Looks like it's down right now.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Phi230 posted:

If we get all goons and people tagging along onto one server. I can't even get on.

A work around that works for 95% of people is loading onto EU server. Create a char, get into the server.

Then change all the .txt info from EU to NA and it will load you onto the NA server.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SabinBlitz posted:

Then I guess I better start downloading the game. I just don't want to play solo and only if there are at least 10 people willing to go at it as a goon.

You literally can't play solo due to the need for dividing labor

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

SabinBlitz posted:

A work around that works for 95% of people is loading onto EU server. Create a char, get into the server.

Then change all the .txt info from EU to NA and it will load you onto the NA server.

Looks like I was accidentally playing the on the EU server anyway. let's see if I can get on NA.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yes, Sean Bean did the intro VO.

Launch is a clusterfuck, many of us can't get in, so if you can get in don't worry about rushing to get poo poo done immediately. Just travel around and find someplace suitable to build and hopefully by then all the teething issues are sorted. I dumped all my starting attributes into artisan since that's the skill that governs digging/mining/carpentry/construction, but honestly nature's lore is just as crucial in the beginning since we will need preparations to build a monument.

If this poo poo really takes off, I'm not above pitching some real life ducats every month to keep goontown afloat too. I played a ton of Wurm like a decade ago so I kinda got a soft spot for this game as checks all the boxes for me.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

There are dozens of worse games to dump $30 into. (Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, Chronicles of Ely, Star Citizen, god there are so many....)

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

The website is down and I just got an update on my launcher. looks like they're doing something... or running away with our money.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

EU is still up. I had to switch from NA download to EU download. Once it's done I'll just change the file names to NA instead of EU. Easy fix.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
LiF is a good game. It's not for everyone. If you liked Wurm, it's the successor to Wurm. That being said, might be quite some time before it's playable

• Locked thread