Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
It's been almost a month since the last iteration and there have been some really good Photoshop threads. Is G0m just busy? Phridays are my favorite thing on the front page (it's why I reg'd).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
let's have one right now op. you pick a photo and i'll do something to it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, people are noticing a lack of these, and Comedy Goldmine too. We do have some good stuff. The GBS thread for dragons for example has a shitload of good art in it.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I don't know if G0M is still active in this respect or not. If he isn't, I'd volunteer to curate the article... but Lowtax hates me and the front page :(

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Here's Trump being afraid of a shark.

Here he is without the shark.

Make your own thread doofus.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I don't know if G0M is still active in this respect or not. If he isn't, I'd volunteer to curate the article... but Lowtax hates me and the front page :(

Bert Roberge posted:

Here's Trump being afraid of a shark.

Here he is without the shark.

Make your own thread doofus.

He's not talking about making threads, he's talking about threads making the front page, in Photoshop Phriday and Comedy Goldmine articles, which haven't been around lately.

It seems like a good idea that lowtax would want, as it would bring more traffic and money to SA. And it seems low effort, since the users are already making the content. Actually no effort with someone who has been on the front page before offering to curate it as well.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Exactly. There is no reason for the shortage of promoted content except somebody wants to slowly kill off the entire front page idea, and if that's the case I wish they'd just get it over with. At least let such a cool publication go out with dignity.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Twenty Four posted:

He's not talking about making threads, he's talking about threads making the front page, in Photoshop Phriday and Comedy Goldmine articles, which haven't been around lately.

It seems like a good idea that lowtax would want, as it would bring more traffic and money to SA. And it seems low effort, since the users are already making the content. Actually no effort with someone who has been on the front page before offering to curate it as well.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I'd offer to it, but I don't know what "it" entails. It's what brought me to the forums and motivated me to learn Photoshop. The few times one of my edits made it into the article felt really cool.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Harveygod posted:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I'd offer to it, but I don't know what "it" entails. It's what brought me to the forums and motivated me to learn Photoshop. The few times one of my edits made it into the article felt really cool.

That's awesome and I cannot name how many similar stories I've heard. LOTS of people came to this site for Photoshop Phriday, and while admittedly the great Fark wars are long past it isn't as though the social web no longer runs on manipulated images (and people still call the whole field "photoshop" despite all the other ways to manipulate photos that exist now). There are admittedly fewer threads in circulation but I think 1/week is still possible.

As to what the job entails exactly I have no idea, but with multiple curators I'm sure it could be made volunteer-friendly. Many hands make light work. Will anyone else volunteer to group-curate new Photoshop Phridays?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Twenty Four posted:

Any business (especially one that charges a one off fee like this site) needs a constant flow of new members. Lots of people have commented they ended up here following a link but joined after reading the forums, a huge range of topics, informed posters actually making efforts due to the risk of being banned simply for failing to be up to standard (remember the photoshop page of shame for the crap efforts?)

Who is going to pay to join a forum when the front page is filled with garbage threads written by "hilarious" fuckwits that sound like they are posting 1993?

There are free sites for that.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

504 posted:

Who is going to pay to join a forum when the front page is filled with garbage threads written by "hilarious" fuckwits that sound like they are posting 1993?

There are free sites for that.

That's not how publishing and entertainment business models work. Putting out anything at all is almost always better than putting out nothing because the appearance of continuity is as valuable or even more valuable than consistent quality. I know that sounds wrong but it's really important in entertainment. You know that old saw "the show must go on?". That's not just a pick-me-up for the actors, it's the core of the business.

And nothing screams "fuckwit from the 90's" like an "of the day" or "once a week" feature that hasn't been updated in years. Put on anything before you put on dead air.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That's not how publishing and entertainment business models work. Putting out anything at all is almost always better than putting out nothing because the appearance of continuity is as valuable or even more valuable than consistent quality. I know that sounds wrong but it's really important in entertainment. You know that old saw "the show must go on?". That's not just a pick-me-up for the actors, it's the core of the business.

And nothing screams "fuckwit from the 90's" like an "of the day" or "once a week" feature that hasn't been updated in years. Put on anything before you put on dead air.

All true, but don't sell it short, there are good and funny threads all the time, so it's not like it would be just throwing random garbage up there.

Whether the approach would be taken to throw up a sub par thread once in a while to make a weekly quota, or to just skip that week because nothing made the cut, either would be better then just not bothering at all, and I totally agree with you!

In addition, the front page helps fuel the machine which helps fuel the front page and on and on. Front page articles help get people to join the forums. More people make or participate in more threads. More good forum threads make the front page. The cycle continues. Even if it is at a trickle, that's more then nothing.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

You're quite right I that, but many members have stated over the years that they stayed (and payed) for the forums. Also theres not much point in putting up stuff daily if its garbage, how many of the "comedy goldmines" have been unfunny poo poo our little brothers would have laughed at before they discovered girls?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

There is still really funny stuff happening on the forums, especially in the galaxy of subforums. We just aren't promoting it right.

The front page could be shined up beautifully, if it had even a little support, from somewhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of people genuinely liked the front page even though they didn't want or ever get accounts.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Pick posted:

A lot of people genuinely liked the front page even though they didn't want or ever get accounts.

I have, no poo poo, got real jobs because of the front page. I've worked for giant gaming companies, I've worked on feature films, but none of that impressed people as much as my SA portfolio. I'm with Pick, there's something utterly special about the front page even to people who don't know about us otherwise.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hey everybody, over in BYOB we have a fun Valentine's day Photoshop thread going that I think could be an excellent candidate for a Phriday article. If you can find the time to contribute it would be much appreciated. Let's not let this go without a fight!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There hasn't been a Photoshop Phriday in over four months. A whole third of a year.

No one's updating the front page Goldmine articles either.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 7, 2018

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Lowtax tells me it's a priority, he's just going through medical stuff. I'm trying to get him to delegate more but it's tough when we're all-volunteer like this.

Just know somebody IS working on it, the big cheese is just stubborn.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
"What is Lowtax Pointing At?" would make a pretty good front page Photoshop Phriday, especially since it took off on reddit and twitter as well. Maybe bring in some more :tenbux:, even?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853177

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Jikes posted:

"What is Lowtax Pointing At?" would make a pretty good front page Photoshop Phriday, especially since it took off on reddit and twitter as well. Maybe bring in some more :tenbux:, even?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853177

It could easily be a 2-parter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the What Happened to Melania Trump photoshop thread NEEDS to become an article

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Banker.jpg just got goldmined, five stars and 1286 votes in 8 days.

People really want to see this. It's being shared on Twitter. It should be on the homepage.

Also from qcs

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Just give admins access to it. [Articles / Phridays]

They could run contests on the forum, eg make the best op for a phriday / choose images, etc. It's free and they're trusted.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 4, 2018

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
From my perspective as someone who has participated in some photoshop threads, I think the front page articles are really valuable. It feels great to get an image onto the front page. It's nice to know that someone thinks your work is funny and good enough to get shown off that way, and to be preserved. So not only is it good content for the main page, I think it also helps motivate people who make funny stuff on the forums.

Also, I wanted to say that the Banker.bmp thread was amazing and there really should be a Phriday or a Goldmine article about it (or more than one).

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

From my perspective as someone who has participated in some photoshop threads, I think the front page articles are really valuable. It feels great to get an image onto the front page. It's nice to know that someone thinks your work is funny and good enough to get shown off that way, and to be preserved. So not only is it good content for the main page, I think it also helps motivate people who make funny stuff on the forums.

Also, I wanted to say that the Banker.bmp thread was amazing and there really should be a Phriday or a Goldmine article about it (or more than one).

:emptyquote:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Banker.bmp was exactly the sort of stuff that drew me to this dying website so many years ago.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Banker.bmp was exactly the sort of stuff that drew me to this dying website so many years ago.

That cave one was pretty good, too. I just wish it hadn't been goldmined before the weekend. I had a bunch of ideas but didn't have any time during the week. :(

At this point, if Phriday came back there's months worth of backlogged content.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Banker owned. Someone post Banker 2: the circus is back in town. Or some other cartoon strip Photoshop thread.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Okay! After several years of campaigning Lowtax has finally assigned me to resurrect Phridays. It's a learning process, but I'm excited and I mean to take it as seriously as such a goofy, goofy job can be taken.

If anybody has recent photoshop threads they want to see featured, please PM me links or post them here. I'm trying my best to scour the forums but there's no way I'll catch everything by myself every week, so your help will be integral to reviving this feature just in time for our 20th anniversary!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Coincidentally, the last Phriday was the 2017 annual nightmare thread, which I think already started for this year.

If you drag your feet for a few weeks the next Phriday could be 1 year later and be on the same topic. I think that would be fitting (or at least kinda neat).

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Harveygod posted:

Coincidentally, the last Phriday was the 2017 annual nightmare thread, which I think already started for this year.

If you drag your feet for a few weeks the next Phriday could be 1 year later and be on the same topic. I think that would be fitting (or at least kinda neat).

This is a fantastic idea and we're gonna go for it. In the meantime I'm going to try and feature Banker even though it's not current because holy poo poo was it funny.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Well, despite my best efforts there will not be a Phriday this week due to technical issues. I sincerely hope we can pull it together for next week though (assuming Lowtax is still alive, here's hoping). Thanks for your patience everybody.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Pardon the triplepost but here it is.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

With commentary too! Extremely nice job. I bet you got this suggestion via PM many times but starting from the as of yet not featured threads here will be swell: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=21&posticon=76

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Nice work with the commentary. I always thought that added some charm. Feels good to see a Phriday on the frontpage again. :toot:

But what's with the artifacts on the images? Double jpegged from the watermark I guess? It's so noticeable with this particular original.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Great work. I really liked the commentary.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

King Lazer posted:

But what's with the artifacts on the images? Double jpegged from the watermark I guess? It's so noticeable with this particular original.

Yeah, I'm unhappy with that aspect too but it's a matter of a very specific file format Lowtax wants and it not playing nice with monochrome (plus people made a lot of tiny originals). We've already spoken about it and I'm trying some fixes before the next installment.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, I'm unhappy with that aspect too but it's a matter of a very specific file format Lowtax wants and it not playing nice with monochrome (plus people made a lot of tiny originals). We've already spoken about it and I'm trying some fixes before the next installment.

Cool! and thanks for doing the work to bring back Phridays. :)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I can't wait to start in on the really weird poo poo! :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

nice!