Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

When I have a moment free again and can flag down the Taxman. And probably after I finish the next Goblins update which is already abysmally late.

I'll try for next week but I'm not promising anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

My old CYOA. I'm trying desperately to finish it so I can free up the slot for other forums projects like Phridays, but I have had very little free time so far this year and I'm only a little more than half done with a single update. Even that is a minor miracle, I'm working on four different projects for work right now and it's kind of a nightmare.

I wish it was different, I really do. But, honestly, this is just kind of what happens in a community that absolutely will not allow links to patreons or any other direct monetization platforms. I totally understand why we do it that way and I'm not even saying we should change it. But as long as it's in place we have to resign ourselves to whatever scraps writers and artists have left to share. I've been trying to find somebody else to do this article, very publicly, for 6 months now and nobody has time. I can't blame them, I clearly don't either!

I will seriously try for next week, thanks for sticking around the Cheap Show :cheers:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Really? I was told no way no how by a mod just this week. We need to all get on the same page about that, it's a huge bottleneck.

Edit- just reconfirmed, Patreons are not allowed, referred to in the official rules as "semi-spam". And I see the point, let one person do it and the avalanche will destroy us.

Edit edit- the official rule:

"Please do not post crap asking us to vote for you on some website, give you referrals for free iPods / flatscreens / spare tires, or any other semi-spam things."

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 26, 2019

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah? WELL...

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Bronze Fonz posted:

We should have 2 phridays per week.

Instead of 0.1?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Well we're always accepting volunteers (and nothing else).

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

There's more than enough entries, it's just nobody wants to curate them. The back-end of SA is... frustrating...

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

This happened to Photoshop Phriday

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Aishlinn posted:

while i am very happy to see one, its practically criminal that the "What did trump paint?" thread didn't hit front page.

I hear ya, I really do, it came down to a decision between that one and this one, and I thought this one had more inherently funny images that didn't require you to be in on a reference. Just the expression of the statue was funny in different contexts on its own, and I could use the comments for in-jokes. What did trump paint was just a shade more in-jokey and, you have to admit, really repetitive, so it lost despite being longer.

But it was a tough call which one to devote my time to. If you want to see more Phridays we are always accepting volunteers. Thanks for reading!

Edit- oh and contributing, I just now realized. You do good work. The front page is dumb, but it's also fun and has opened doors for me that would surprise you. So, think about it.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 15, 2019

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Well luckily the front page comes with a money-back guarantee!

Seriously, you're quibbling with me about which Trump thread was more important? C'mon now. They were both okay, for low-hanging fruit. If it really matters to you come volunteer, and then you can pick the :right: threads.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I'm sorry, I'm just a little frustrated is all. I was under instruction not to feature political threads in phridays and I got hectored into it anyway, then there's another political thread people wanted more, I just can't seem to win.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This must be very difficult for you every six months

Haha touche.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Six months just flies by don't it?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Xaintrailles posted:

Thanks! IDK what a contrast match is though so probably whatever you meant was an accident.

That was definitely my favourite photoshop theme to work on, cool source images and simple enough for my low-skill-high-effort style.

I just meant the image contrast for corn guy matched the rest of the image, you got the same grain on a photo and a photo-of-a-print and it really sells it. That and the border to the left of him having a natural cut to it both jumped out at me as very nice touches.

You also did that awesome Daffy duck edit gif, the two together was why you "won".

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Better late than never.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

itry posted:

Someone hasn't watched John Wick 3 :colbert:

Nope! Don't even recognize the title. Is that like a superhero movie or something?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Cool, thanks! Your 'shop was funny even without context, and I think that's the best Phridays can be.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

hunh this sure is a thread

It sure is!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

so lets address that animorphs thing. i think i made whatever point i wanted to there, and i was loving blown away to find that rachel is jewish. i read the books as a kid and she's clearly depicted as a blond blue eyed white girl.
the anti semitism comment was almost certainly a silly joke about tusks and nose, but when i did my thing and dug for 5 minutes, besides the insane "aliases" there was also the bit about her dad.

i hope it doesn't kill the thread, but one, it's super hilarious that this is a chain of events, and two, i, never for a single moment, thought you were sincerely doing a racist photoshop.

secondly, you do good work. ian and i both appreciate the effortshops you do.

Yeah itry, you do consistently good work, thank you for all the submissions.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Boom.

We make a good team, HP. What are you thinking next?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Galaxander posted:

:( I knew I should have reported that Cool if My Parrot Watches post when I saw it show up in a google search for starter material, but by then it was several pages back.

https://me.me/i/harlequin-romance-2476-it-cool-if-my-parrot-watches-margaret-a9555232804848839f9e94f413d82e5a

So, are you saying this submission was plagiarized? If so, and your evidence checks out, I'll remove it and ban the poster (from phridays, at Ieast).

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I personally take a hard stance on plagiarism, if you're too lazy to type (not mine) after an image you didn't make then you are not welcome on the front page. This has been basic forums ettiquite for like twenty years so there's no excuse.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

It is crappy and we do try to catch stuff like that before publishing it. Can't win them all though.

I want to hear what Cough Drop The Beat has to say about what are still just allegations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Okay. Thank you for looking into that, HP. I've reached out to Cough Drop The Beat but they're currently probated, so let's give them some time to respond. I'm going to leave the article as it is until we've heard all the sides in this.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Update: I have heard from Cough Drop the Beat, who was very cooperative and I believe understands the severity of what we're talking about. I've encouraged them to post their own account of the issue first-hand here, at their availability.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Thank you, CDTP. I'll ammend the article tonight. I'm still going to feature the image, it's just gonna be the last page entry, and we'll talk about what happened because it's an interesting case.

I agree that a ban is not appropriate. Just understand that if you do post 'shops there's going to be extra scrutiny on you for a while. But don't let that stop you from posting.

Galaxander, thank you also for bringing this up. I hope we've resolved the issue.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Article has been updated.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I'm confused, what do you mean?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Friend posted:

Way late here but I can't let the chickencheese world tour be forgotten! It was like hands across america but with sandwiches across the subforums. It has short stories, D&D stats, 3D renders, chickens eating cheese, and this post from TFR.

Okay wow, yeah, never knew about that before. Thank you!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Ah, I gotcha now. Wouldn't be surprised, people sure do love trying to sell you crap based, purportedly, on web media you like.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Joker Minion 1 is up.

The page breaks may be hosed up again because SA's publisher thing enjoys torturing me with never ending errors. If you've ever wondered what it's like to write for this place, imagine trying to type paragraphs on a circa-1998 Xerox machine.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, I think it works, knowing what a treasure trove will be in part II. Heather Papps had to convince me to block it out like this, I didn't fully get what they were going for at first. But it's clever.

I wish SASBI or whatever would save the drat page breaks though, I've tried fixing it twice now.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

A mighty hammer indeed

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

what happened to photoshop phriday?

a poster with a username with Frankenstein in it shot it with lightning, and well, guess it's ALIVE

Couldn't do it without ya, Igor.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hmm, interesting.

I don't use facebook anymore so I'm curious, is there an actual SA front page presence there? I recall Lowtax telling me the SA accounts had "gone rogue" at some point in the past.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

we have the second half of the phear phactory article in the chamber, but maybe the circle/orb thread? i may have missed a thread i don't read gbs enuf

Orb thread got a legit chuckle out of me with a Goatse edit, was not expecting that.

Edit- Short but sweet!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 7, 2020

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I mentioned this briefly in the article but I'm interested in other peoples' thoughts too: did Lowtax do the right thing censoring the Offensive Breakfast Cereals Phriday from 2005?

I know the debate has made the rounds before, "freedom of expression vs emboldening actual racial violence" being a worn out trope of its own that nobody seems to have a good solution for, and I'm not suggesting a big fight to put racist slurs back into the Phridays library- the article really wasn't that funny to begin with. But considering Lowtax still has only ever blocked page 1 of it and people on Reddit are still pointing that out as a criticism of us in 2020 , I wonder if it's like an intentional half-measure meant to walk the line? Maybe that's brilliant, or maybe it's just lazy. Both? I'm really not sure.

It matters, to me at least, because I'm still trying to figure out the right tone for these articles, and if endless variants on "Saigon Execution" are still okay but L/R confusion and buck-teeth jokes are not, I guess I'm just left hoping I don't make an offensive mistake doing this goofy thing. Like I still don't know how to feel about "Microwave's Mom" images, they feel a lot like doxxing an innocent woman, so I make fun of people for submitting them, but is that enough? I'm the only person in all of this who ends up with my real name attached to some of these images, so it's probably something I should think about.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Galaxander posted:

Looking through, idk if there was much baby in that bathwater. It'd be one thing if they were really unique or clever, but a bunch of them were just Frosted Flakes with slurs on the box or whatever. The kind of thing you can probably find by the shovelful elsewhere.

I don't like the Microwave Mom ones because to me they're 100% unfunny if you don't get the ref, but I accept that that is a proud tradition or whatever.

That's a really good point- if you are going to make an argument for any of this material qualifying for protection based on some lofty ideal of free speech, it better be funny enough to be worth the effort.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

And the plot thickens...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

We haven't had such regular updates in a month of Phridays!