Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

hunh this sure is a thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

compliments buddy. captions were very funny!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Galaxander posted:

:bubblewoop: Another Phriday :bubblewoop:

so in an effort to make myself accountable here is the plan for the next two weeks, sneak peak style!

part 2 of fear factory next phriday, then part one of at least 2 articles for the romance cover thread.
if a good thread pops up, or i find one i missed, or ian finds one, or whatever, that'll go in between the romance cover articles.

i guess i should mention i volunteered to help curate as i am a weird internet nerd with free time and photoshop abilities?
anyways this thread, or pm'ng ian or i, would be a good way to suggest threads. or just post a link in byob to bait me into making like, 2 submissions cause i'm trying to not participate overmuch in threads i intend to harvest from.

it's been a blast so far, and i'm glad to help pump a little lifeblood into a classic frontpage feature.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

You guys are doing important work

so lets address that animorphs thing. i think i made whatever point i wanted to there, and i was loving blown away to find that rachel is jewish. i read the books as a kid and she's clearly depicted as a blond blue eyed white girl.
the anti semitism comment was almost certainly a silly joke about tusks and nose, but when i did my thing and dug for 5 minutes, besides the insane "aliases" there was also the bit about her dad.

i hope it doesn't kill the thread, but one, it's super hilarious that this is a chain of events, and two, i, never for a single moment, thought you were sincerely doing a racist photoshop.

secondly, you do good work. ian and i both appreciate the effortshops you do.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

legit, your subs are so good

quote:

I think the real tragedy is the possibilty that someone has never heard about Animorphs :(

i got one sentence into explaining animorphs to someone older then me and was like, honestly, gently caress this. i loved the books and show as a kid but i can recolonize that like, tobias the hawk recognizing a supermodels pores but still finding her lovely is hosed up writing.

anyways, thanks!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

here is something. we have so many good photoshop threads what comes next is actually a choice.

we can run part 2 of phear phactory, or pocket it for a dry season. the romance cover thread could easy be 2 updates, and if this mixed media thread goes well we might have enough good images by whatever deadline ian needs to submit the update?

regardless, we are legit dedicated to hitting that deadline weekly, now, and of all the currently active forum highlight features this one benefits the most from having a huge amount of things to pick from. honestly, a thread going long enough to produce a 2 part article, or, potentially, 3 part, requires like half the work of 2 separate articles. plus, this means that we can stagger part ones and twos, and feature more good posts.

i may be a post helldumped byob idiot, but of the few things i take seriously, this weird rear end internet thing is one i do actually believe in.

laugh, and the world laughs with you. cry, and you cry alone.
\
:negative:

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Boom.

We make a good team, HP. What are you thinking next?

if the merge media thread produces enough we can do that, then another romance cover thread. sorry i didn't scrape a full article worth, my math was bad.

i also think if we do the phear phactory thread for christmas that would be funny as hell, so....

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

So, are you saying this submission was plagiarized? If so, and your evidence checks out, I'll remove it and ban the poster (from phridays, at Ieast).

i remember saving a few, then deleting them because a few posts later someone said they were just sourced from google, but i may have missed something.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I personally take a hard stance on plagiarism, if you're too lazy to type (not mine) after an image you didn't make then you are not welcome on the front page. This has been basic forums ettiquite for like twenty years so there's no excuse.

agreed. my brain is a little flu boiled today but i'm going to look into it also.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

this is the first day in a couple i am able to use my brain effectively and sit at my computer for any amount of time. the flu is a blast.

so i'm going to go back through the thread and do some internet detective-ing of the image, and we'll figure out what the deal is. it is incredibly obvious Photoshop threads are for your own creations, but maybe it needs to be stated outright. there are new posters, and posters not used to GBS.

still, this is basic poo poo.

secondly, if i get confirmation i think next phriday will be a combo of the merge media/what should i do with minion joker. the merge media subs are of a super high quality, but that means there isn't enough of them for a full article. there is some pretty amazing work in the minion joker thread if you haven't seen it and i think if we do both of these we'll have enough for a mostly full paged article, but if not i don't mind. quality over quantity.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Galaxander posted:

Definitely not your or Heather's fault.

also thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. i super appreciate it.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

https://paperback-paradise.com/

:smith:

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Okay. Thank you for looking into that, HP. I've reached out to Cough Drop The Beat but they're currently probated, so let's give them some time to respond. I'm going to leave the article as it is until we've heard all the sides in this.

i think it's pretty obvious that they did some photoshopping, they removed the watermark. if you look at the flowers in the corner you can see where it was removed. there is an insanely outside chance they run that website but yeah. i think we leave things as they stand for now.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

As I discussed in PMs with BoldFrankensteinMir:

I fully understand the allegations and why it's a huge issue from your perspective. I blame my co-worker who reads the front page all the time and told me to make that Photoshop. I thought the text and concept was really hilarious when he told me... but it's pretty obvious he just told me to copy a funny edit he saw on Facebook or whatever. I'm very sorry about it and I will take a lifetime ban from Photoshop Phridays because I am a dumbass who took inspiration and unknowingly plagiarized from a work friend.

Good luck with future Photoshop Phridays! :)

i think lifetime may be excessive. i am one thousand percent sure i've plagarized a joke while chainposting in byob. we are all on the same team here, just gotta make sure we are all on the same page!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Galaxander posted:

Thanks all. I'm glad to see Cough Drop the Beat won't be excluded from future Phridays. Not having a non-original image in an article was my only concern, and it seems pretty clear they are a reasonable and non-malicious poster. :toot:

such is life. the more submissions the better. the trick i suppose is doing stuff that is based more conceptual stuff like the merge media, or just super strangeness like the joker minion.

also, due to my flu, and also just life and come on fyad exploded, we're gonna push the article. the merge media thread is tremendous and it was a real mindfuck seeing the minion joker thread in gbs. for a moment i thought it was goldmined, based on the byob goldmine having normal font, but then, well... anyways.
flubrain.

my apologies!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I should mention I have been mega flu'ed and moved, so blame me for lack of phriday. There will be a joker minion update asap tho!!!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

I should mention I have been mega flu'ed and moved, so blame me for lack of phriday. There will be a joker minion update asap tho!!!

im finishing up watermarking and reformatting but dang, it's really hard because i keep laughing and it's hard to use my mouse and keyboard when i'm doubled over chuckling like a madman.

i was very sick when the thread took off, and then moved soon after and it was goldmined before i was back in posting form, and holy poo poo, there is some incredibly impressive work in there.

thank ya'll for your patience, (not that you, or i for that matter, really have a choice), but it feels RIGHT that the first photoshop phriday of 2020 is the joker minion.
it'll definitely be a two parter, but i'm thinking that we might stick the merge media in between, as i finished all the reformat stuff on that before joker minion really took off.
regardless, holy poo poo guys, you rule.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

Ended on a cliffhanger

i was away from home for about a week, and uhhh... well, technology is fun!

i think we are back on schedule for regular updates, pending technology!

also, i'm aware i've said i thought we were on track before BUT that's why i'm adding the "pending technology" caveat.

BFM did a fantastic job, though, considering what he had to deal with. goof that i am, i even watermarked some of the joker minion gifs, but never uploaded them? but this means the second part can be a mighty hammer.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

what happened to photoshop phriday?

a poster with a username with Frankenstein in it shot it with lightning, and well, guess it's ALIVE

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Couldn't do it without ya, Igor.

WALK LIKE THIS!

limps, right arm twisted from reformatting

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

we have the second half of the phear phactory article in the chamber, but maybe the circle/orb thread? i may have missed a thread i don't read gbs enuf

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Hmm, interesting.

I don't use facebook anymore so I'm curious, is there an actual SA front page presence there? I recall Lowtax telling me the SA accounts had "gone rogue" at some point in the past.

nothing here was recent, but we sould bug lowtax about this, maybe

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

quality over quantity: it's the reverse of my posting strategy!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I'm the only person in all of this who ends up with my real name attached to some of these images, so it's probably something I should think about.

this is a good point, and more broadly a good post.

i am going to think about this.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

That's a really good point- if you are going to make an argument for any of this material qualifying for protection based on some lofty ideal of free speech, it better be funny enough to be worth the effort.

okay: this is something i've been thinking about for a long time.

it is easy to make a gross and offensive mean joke.

it is hard to make a nice and kind, yet still legit funny joke.

i am going to laugh at someone getting hit in the nuts with a football, or even last night i was holding onto a bell my nephew wanted, and when i let go he pulled it into his head and knocked his toddler rear end on the ground and i belly laughed at him for a full few minutes.

i am going to find my laptop and post 20 year old photoshops i made, to try and help hammer this point home, whatever the hell this point is.

i think it's something about punching up instead of down tho'

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

meta meta fourth fifth meta lol memes

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

We haven't had such regular updates in a month of Phridays!

sorry guys!
i would say this weeks lack of updates is about 75% my fault, 25% the cruel hand of fate. what is lowtax yelling at should be up sooner than later, but i really hope no one sends me an angry pm about this please don't it would ruin my whole life forever and ever.

here is a question: there is a lot of video editing/youtubey folk on the boards. now that it's the future and the internet is fast, would trying to do board video theme threads be an idea that would work, if people know we'd embed a bunch of videos in an article with commentary, like a premiere phriday?

just spitballing here, i tried having a general frontpage thread but goons gonna goon.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

i was thinking embedded videos, but again, just spitballin'

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

who ever is mod of the front page discussion forum give me a sixer, no article this week and it's not exactly my fault, look!

there is a watermark!

anyways, technical issues sorta, but also the tail end of winter is killing me.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

dang it

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Congratulations on your first solo Phriday Heather Papps!!!

What happened to Photoshop Phriday? You happened to Photoshop Phriday! :boom:

i am bummed i messed up the first caption somehow, but, well, it's my first day!
E:ug I just noticed another minor typo I missed because I'd been staring at it for overlong. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Galaxander posted:

I enjoyed the style choice of having captions under the pictures. I didn't read them all, but I like it.

the CMS is a joy! this article took longer than it should have because i was kinda brute forcing my way through it, and some style elements are, well... ANYWAYS, excuses for not my best jokes! at a certain point I considered just posting them without any comment, but i am following the :justpost: philosophy.

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 21, 2020

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

Edit: Oh god, the puns

it's my personal hell!

oh also: sorry everyone. a combo of tech issues and me being physically incapacitated for a lil bit resulted in the dearth of phridays, but i take full responsibility some one redtext me I DARE YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

It's a collection of humorous photoshops. Don't worry about it.

i try not to take anything seriously besides being reliable, and even that i'm bad at sometimes. also, couldn't find a way to get

down to a gif that was also small enough for the content manager to handle, which was a bummer.
anyways, here's an article:

https://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/magnificent-bastard/