Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I don't know if G0M is still active in this respect or not. If he isn't, I'd volunteer to curate the article... but Lowtax hates me and the front page :(

Bert Roberge posted:

Here's Trump being afraid of a shark.

Here he is without the shark.

Make your own thread doofus.

He's not talking about making threads, he's talking about threads making the front page, in Photoshop Phriday and Comedy Goldmine articles, which haven't been around lately.

It seems like a good idea that lowtax would want, as it would bring more traffic and money to SA. And it seems low effort, since the users are already making the content. Actually no effort with someone who has been on the front page before offering to curate it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

That's not how publishing and entertainment business models work. Putting out anything at all is almost always better than putting out nothing because the appearance of continuity is as valuable or even more valuable than consistent quality. I know that sounds wrong but it's really important in entertainment. You know that old saw "the show must go on?". That's not just a pick-me-up for the actors, it's the core of the business.

And nothing screams "fuckwit from the 90's" like an "of the day" or "once a week" feature that hasn't been updated in years. Put on anything before you put on dead air.

All true, but don't sell it short, there are good and funny threads all the time, so it's not like it would be just throwing random garbage up there.

Whether the approach would be taken to throw up a sub par thread once in a while to make a weekly quota, or to just skip that week because nothing made the cut, either would be better then just not bothering at all, and I totally agree with you!

In addition, the front page helps fuel the machine which helps fuel the front page and on and on. Front page articles help get people to join the forums. More people make or participate in more threads. More good forum threads make the front page. The cycle continues. Even if it is at a trickle, that's more then nothing.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

nice!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Throwing my two cents in, I was one of those who sent BFM a PM in the past in regards to the front page, as I know he is trying but frustrated, and I'm sure we all want to see success for multiple reasons. More content brings more goons which brings more content which eventually brings more revenue as a cycle, I would think. If a forceful nudge is necessary to keep that ball rolling, I can't argue. Hoping for the best for all involved.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Glad to see Photoshop Phriday back, but I feel like though it might be difficult to decide what makes the cut and what doesn't, pruning it down a bit would be nice.

Personally, I clicked over to the second page, saw that there was 29 pages with about 10 images on each page and immediately gave up.

If there's a Phriday or Goldmine on the front page that really catches my interest with some "best of" highlights, following up and reading the thread is always an option. This also can encourage more people to sign up on the forums, which I feel was always part of the purpose of the front page.

Don't get me wrong, really glad to see that something is happening up front, thanks for that!