Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Nice work with the commentary. I always thought that added some charm. Feels good to see a Phriday on the frontpage again. :toot:

But what's with the artifacts on the images? Double jpegged from the watermark I guess? It's so noticeable with this particular original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Yeah, I'm unhappy with that aspect too but it's a matter of a very specific file format Lowtax wants and it not playing nice with monochrome (plus people made a lot of tiny originals). We've already spoken about it and I'm trying some fixes before the next installment.

Cool! and thanks for doing the work to bring back Phridays. :)

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

What are some recently goldmined Pshop threads people have liked? Poor dogs in paintings never got in but we must soldier on.

I liked the Adventure Hog thread.

But is there a rule against doing older threads? I don't see why the dog paintings one couldn't still be used.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'm glad the focus is on funny.

I don't think I'd be a good curator though. The regular goon sense of humor falls flat to me, and I don't get very many of the references I see used.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

It really is harder than one might think, I owe G0m and Garbageday some serious respect. I spent like an hour trying to figure out this one image of a log-flume ride from Adventurehog and eventually just had to give up, I could not figure out the joke and neither could the three people I showed it to OR Google search-by-image.

Really, I learned a ton of lessons from doing Banker.bmp and I hope they'll improve this year's crop. For example I'm gonna save my art-historian bullshit for an optional last-page comments thing that always moves the conversation to "join the forums!" and I redid the watermark to use the font and logo Lowtax prefers. I'm pushing for this week, fingers crossed.

:patriot:
I believe in you BoldFrankensteinMir.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

:toot: Tsunami hog gets to be the thumbnail I can't believe it :3:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

U know, this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879420 never even got goldmined and it was started by Lowtax and everything. I don't know how this works. Maybe it's too late now.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

That was a good thread and I feel humbled to have my misguided contributions included. :tipshat:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

:bubblewoop: Another Phriday :bubblewoop:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

:( I knew I should have reported that Cool if My Parrot Watches post when I saw it show up in a google search for starter material, but by then it was several pages back.

https://me.me/i/harlequin-romance-2476-it-cool-if-my-parrot-watches-margaret-a9555232804848839f9e94f413d82e5a

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I don't really have any evidence other than that link and the date on it. I really don't like calling stuff out like this, but it seems crappy to have a general internet meme included in a Phriday.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

It is crappy and we do try to catch stuff like that before publishing it. Can't win them all though.

Definitely not your or Heather's fault.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks all. I'm glad to see Cough Drop the Beat won't be excluded from future Phridays. Not having a non-original image in an article was my only concern, and it seems pretty clear they are a reasonable and non-malicious poster. :toot:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Hooray for phriday

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

There were a bunch in there I'm sure I didn't see before. I thought I read that thread!

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I mentioned this briefly in the article but I'm interested in other peoples' thoughts too: did Lowtax do the right thing censoring the Offensive Breakfast Cereals Phriday from 2005?

I know the debate has made the rounds before, "freedom of expression vs emboldening actual racial violence" being a worn out trope of its own that nobody seems to have a good solution for, and I'm not suggesting a big fight to put racist slurs back into the Phridays library- the article really wasn't that funny to begin with. But considering Lowtax still has only ever blocked page 1 of it and people on Reddit are still pointing that out as a criticism of us in 2020 , I wonder if it's like an intentional half-measure meant to walk the line? Maybe that's brilliant, or maybe it's just lazy. Both? I'm really not sure.

It matters, to me at least, because I'm still trying to figure out the right tone for these articles, and if endless variants on "Saigon Execution" are still okay but L/R confusion and buck-teeth jokes are not, I guess I'm just left hoping I don't make an offensive mistake doing this goofy thing. Like I still don't know how to feel about "Microwave's Mom" images, they feel a lot like doxxing an innocent woman, so I make fun of people for submitting them, but is that enough? I'm the only person in all of this who ends up with my real name attached to some of these images, so it's probably something I should think about.

Looking through, idk if there was much baby in that bathwater. It'd be one thing if they were really unique or clever, but a bunch of them were just Frosted Flakes with slurs on the box or whatever. The kind of thing you can probably find by the shovelful elsewhere.

I don't like the Microwave Mom ones because to me they're 100% unfunny if you don't get the ref, but I accept that that is a proud tradition or whatever.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I enjoyed the style choice of having captions under the pictures. I didn't read them all, but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I think you hit the mark for how the comments are supposed to be.