Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
:devil: Sign-ups close November 30! :angel:

Welcome to the first second Fountain Pen Something Awful Secret Santa! All countries and regions can participate, so long as your account is at least three months old. Newbies, we’ll get you next time.

Participants will exchange gifts valued around $20-30 USD ($25-30 CAD), but used ink samples/bottles or secondhand pens are fine as long as they’re clean. Gift cards are cool too. Check with your post office for shipping costs. Keep in mind that some goons live in places that freeze, which may affect ink. Another option is to ship directly from a shop like Goulet or Wonderpens.

Want to play?

First, send me an email at FountainPensSA@gmail.com. The subject line should say FPSASS17 <YourUserName>. In that email, please include:

Your SA Profile link:
(Optional) Your FountainPenNetwork Profile link:
Name:
Address:
Where you’re willing to ship to: Anywhere? European only, North American only? Other? Outer space? Farther the better?
Also include additional relevant information that you don’t want to publically post, like maybe your Amazon wishlist.

Secondly, please post in this thread with your Dear Santa. You can tell Santa anything, but especially:

What you love, what you’d like to try, or what you definitely do not want.
What you already have. (Optionally link to a Google Spreadsheet with your ink collection. You can also include this in your email to me if you’re concerned about privacy.)
If you’re cool with NSFW packaging or content. (Dong glitter. Just say’n.)
How you use your pens. (Art? Organization? Nanowrimo-ing?)
The shops you prefer, so your Santa can choose a gift-card.

Try to be open-minded about what you might get. $20 doesn’t go far with fountain pens! Hopefully everyone can be matched up, but if you live in Africa and no one is willing to ship outside of North America or Europe you might not be matchable. I’ll do my best.

Most exchanges have a deadbeat. We may vilify and shame them, depending on circumstances, but I’ll probably ask for volunteers to take on an extra Santees in January once the dust settles. I cannot promise that you won’t be deadbeated, as it’s out of my hands.

In summary, the rules are:
Send me an application email, and post in the thread.
Don’t play unless you can afford to send a value of at least $20 USD, with shipping fees on top of that.
If you aren’t okay with NSFW packaging or content, mention it in your Dear Santa post.
Label ink samples clearly.
Get your package in the mail before the end of December, preferably sooner.
Don’t be a deadbeat and stiff your Santee. If poo poo happens and you can’t follow through, let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwuOWfid5IM

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
:getin: let us stain our fingers

Dear Santa:

I have found I am very fond of Noodler’s inks. I would appreciate a bottle of any of his inks that I haven’t already got. I’m not super picky, but less feathering is better.

I have:
Black Swan in English Roses (red)
Navajo Turquoise (blue)
Apache Sunset (yellow)
Habanero (orange)
American Aristocracy (purple)
Borealis Black
Bad Belted Kingfisher (blue black)
Nightshade (purple)

Would prefer worksafe packaging since I live with roommates.

Thank you!

Heath fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 18, 2017

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Dear Menorah Man,

I may have zeroed in on Diamine Aqua Lagoon as my turquoise of choise but I have a bunch of other samples to go through. I'm still searching for a red that dries to as close of a red as I can get to a Ferrari. If you know of such a red I would love it! I tend to use my pens for journaling and everyday use so if this red could be low on feathering it would rule.

I've got a Pilot Metro Retro (F) and a Wing Sung 3008 (EF) both in some form of turquoise. Edit: add to that a list a Jinhao X450 in blue/white marbling that I hate, because the nib is HUGE and I think not attached firmly, it just hurls ink onto the paper. I also have a Jinhao 8812 that I haven't had the chance to ink up yet since my sample vials are basically too low for it to fill.

Inks I have tried and my thoughts so far:

-Noodler's Bernanke black (it's black)
-Noodler's Q'ternity (very nice royal blue but I like Monteverde Capri Blue better so far)
-Diamine Aqua Lagoon (Fave so far in terms of turquoise - edit, I went and bought a bottle)
-Diamine Eau de Nil (nice but too dark for turquoise, too turquoise for blue)
-Diamine Poppy Red (closest I've gotten to that Rosso Corsa red so far)
-Nemosine Aeolus Palus red (dries a bit too dark red for me)
-De Atramentis Lavender (Smells nice for a second but then it's just a normal dark blue)
-Monteverde Ruby (too dark red)
-Monteverde Capri Blue (my fave dark blue thus far, I might just do the whole buy a Monteverde pen, get the free ink thing - edit: disregard, it's a selected list of inks only, dangit)
-Monteverde Caribbean Blue (LOVELY color, a bit too light for me though)

Inks I have in my sample queue:

-Diamine Wild Strawberry
-Caran d'Ache Infra Red
-Diamine Turquoise
-Pelikan Edelstein Topaz
-J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor
Tried 'em and I liked Emerald of Chivor the best! Everything else is a no-thank-you or relegated to the family Xmas wishlist.

I do have a couple of Jinhaos inbound because I'm cheap like that and have yet to convince myself to go balls deep and just buy a drat Vacumatic already.

I work not too far from Fountain Pen Hospital and do my other buying through Goulet Pens.

I'm totally open to whatever you think would be interesting and fun for a newbie fountain pen user! I'm trying to get myself to write more as a personal exercise so the more toys the merrier!

Edit: if there's such a thing as a cheapo flex nib pen that's a nice orange or dark green look with silver/chrome/anything not gold decor, that would own. As would a nice color ink for a future use! I'd love to try an ink with a shimmer or multicolor look as well.

NWS packaging is okay but it has to not creep out my wife. Dong glitter is fine, Hustler is not fine.

Thank you tons!

MJP fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 7, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dear Uncle Crimbo

I'm basically a bird when it comes to fountain pens and accessories. I like bright, colourful and shiny objects, but dislike heavy metal pens as they're uncomfortable.

Other than that, I'm easy to shop for. Also, you can total cover the packaging in NSFW poo poo, it don't matter

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Dear Krampus

I love red/burgundy inks, teal inks, and blue blacks. Also most anything that is a dark and rich color. Next on my "I want to buy this but I shouldn't because I have too many" is the Mont Blanc Shakespeare Red. I've also been interested in inks that shade more lately, especially in a M or F nib.

I am curious about brown inks. I've only ever tried Noodlers #41 Brown and I did not like it at all. Felt like writing with poop. I'm curious to try some others. I also don't have a traditional blue.

Ink I have is:
Red: Noodlers BSiAR, American Aristocray, IG Violet #3, Diamine Oxblood
Blues and near blues: Noodlers 54th Massachusetts, Waterman Inspired Blue, R&K Verdegris, Lamy Petrol, J. Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean
Gray/Black: J. Herbin 1670 Stormy Gray, Noodler's Black
Other: Sailor Jentle Shigure, KWZI IG Green #1 and Old Gold

Send me NSFW packaging if you want, doesn't bother me at all. Dongs, dick glitter, whatever. I generally use my pens for my own notes at work, I write on a lot of lovely legal pads.

Thanks again for putting this together Pixelante!

Korwen fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 23, 2017

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Dear Creepy Old Man who dabbles in home invasion,

I have to be honest, I have too many inks as it is and really can't justify adding any more bottles to my collection. Having said that, I'd be super open to getting a bag of random ink samples (no Sailor or Iroshizuku though as I have nearly all their inks already).

I use italic nibs exclusively and keep meaning to dabble in getting a cheap flex nib/pen to play around with.

I love good paper and notebooks and can never have too many.

My usual shop is The Writing Desk

NWS packaging is okay if that's your thing

Thanks for organising this, Pixelante, last year's was really good!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Whoops. Just realized that I sent the email but never posted in the thread!

What you love, what you’d like to try, or what you definitely do not want.
I really like variety and novelty. I love my VP and I'm really enjoying piston fillers. I tend to prefer EF or F nibs for daily use, but I also have a Plumix-nibbed Metro and a complete set of Pilot Parallel pens to mess around with cool scripts and line variation. I also really like non-business-friendly colors for ink or stuff that toes the line--I use a lot of brown ink at work because it's sorta professional but still unique. As for stuff I want to try, brush pens sound neat, as do glass dip pens (I've only used zebra nibs in a holder). I'm also down with writing accoutrements--stationery, blotters, sealing wax (I just got a seal, so more wax would be cool), pen cases, etc. The only thing I can say for sure I don't want is another Metro--I have two and don't really need another one.

What you already have.
Inks I have:
Iroshizuku Tsukushi
J. Herbin Orange Indien
Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses
Noodler's Nikita
Noodler's Dragon Catfish Green
Noodler's 54th Mass.
Pelikan Brilliant Black
Scribal Workshop Nessie (purple)
Scribal Workshop Leviathan (green)
Scribal Workshop Sasquatch (brown)
Scribal Workshop Siren (blue)
I have somewhere between 15-20 pens and my favorites right now are my VP and my WS 3008 but I always enjoy trying new things (that may be why I have so many pens).

If you’re cool with NSFW packaging or content. (Dong glitter. Just say’n.)
Make the inside as NSFW as you want but keep the outside boring, please.

How you use your pens.
I bullet journal and do a ton of writing and notetaking at work. I also write fiction and poetry. I'm trying to learn how to draw, too.

The shops you prefer, so your Santa can choose a gift-card.
I usually shop at Goulet Pens but I'll also order from Amazon if it's a screaming deal.

Thanks for organizing this Pixelante!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Assignments going out today. I'll post again once they're all out.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Done! Lemme know if I hosed anything up.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You didn’t post your own Santa letter.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Heath posted:

You didn’t post your own Santa letter.

At least that's an easy gently caress-up to fix!

I have an unrelenting case of the ink madness, and swap out ink constantly. Right now I'm rolling with Iroshizuku Ina-Ho, Lexington Grey, and Emeraude de Chivor. Diamine Ancient Copper is also a high rotation ink. My main pen is a TWSBI 580 with a stub, and at home I use anything glittery in my Parallel 1.5. I use a Metro for drawing. I've started messing around with making graphic novels, and fountain pen ink/pens factor heavily into my style at this point. (I just started one about compassionate euthanasia, because I like to keep it light.)

I'm game for wild inks, and love things that glitter, sheen, and shade. I also need to try more pen-friendly papers to figure out which ones I like the best. Would love to try more Sailor Jentle samples, Noodlers, or Iroshizukus I don't already own--everything gets tried because I swap out so often. My collection lacks greens and oranges, and I have no pinks. I'm happy to try more greys. I'm also planning to buy myself a flex pen after the holidays, if no one gets me one for Christmas!

Here's my ink inventory!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Uh, my secret santa doesn't appear to have posted in the thread so I dunno what to get them

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Hi thread! I wasn't sure if I was in or not until just now and didn't want to assume, so sorry for the delay!

Dear Pen Santa:

Like any good pen lover, I also love ink. I don't have a lot in my collection right now, so anything would be awesome -- unusual colors, neat properties, that one color you really love, or just a nice blue. Samples are great, or short international cartridges because I'm also lazy and love Kaweco Sports. I don't really want anything shimmery though, just because I've never dealt with it before and I'm scared of it gumming up in my pens.

I also actually like messing around with Noodler's pens, especially Creapers and especially demonstrators or the pretty swirly colors. Little things like extra nibs or tools like an ink syringe are also on my list, since I don't have a lot of working-with-pens stuff yet and I want to get better at upkeep! I have no idea if there are any in the price range, but I also have a major love for inset or hooded nibs. As for nib types, generally the finer the better, but I think could also stand to experiment with something broad or even italic.

What I have-- not a lot. A giant bottle of Noodler's English Roses, some Diamine Midnight and J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune cartridges, and a few miscellaneous samples. On the pen side, some Creapers (which I'm not concerned about duplicates with), three Sports (mint, purple, and one gray... rollerball..), and a Lamy Safari in purple. Basically your starter pen kit.

As for use, I mostly bullet journal and have a planner (when I remember to use it) or sketch/doodle with them. ...Or just write the days of the week over and over in fancy ways. I'm trying to improve my handwriting. NSFW packaging is fine. I usually order from Goulet or JetPens, but I'm open to other stores too.

Thanks for putting this together! I'm excited!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Default "rule" is to open your presents whenever they arrive, or whenever you feel like. Put them under the tree if that's your thing, but it's also 100% cool if you open them ASAP and post pics for the rest of us.

We're midway into December already, so just try to get your package into the post before Christmas day. (My gift is packed but not posted yet because holy gently caress have you seen the post office lines this week?)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mine will be a couple of days at least. It takes a long, long time to completely cover packaging with lewd pictures, especially if you're drawing them by hand.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a Chanukah celebrator and I have my gift to myself arriving tonight, and my wife got me something too. I think my FPSASS gift is arriving today so I might open it Thursday night to keep the eight nights going.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I care more about reasonable postage cost than actually hitting December 25th. We all have too many things on a deadline in the holidays, so just do your best. If it's not going to get there by mid/late January, maybe drop me a line so I can update your Santee.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My gift arrived! That is, the one I'm sending out. Just have to consolidate the two packages into one and send it on its way-- should be in the mail next week at the very latest!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Just got the shipping notification from Goulet for half of my gift and the other half should be here from Amazon tomorrow. Then I just need to box both halves up and ship out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mine’s in the mail.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got mine earlier this week and opened it last night as my Chanukah gift for the evening!

I'm at the office so I don't recall each and every awesome ink sample I got but here's what I can remember:

-Noodler's Navajo Turquoise
-Iroshizoku Yama-dori
-Noodler's Apache Sunset (this was on my "maybe I should try it" list of sunset-colored inks in my previous Goulet sample drop but I ended up nixing it and others to keep prices down, so this is really fortuitous!)
-Private Reserve Avocado
-Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

Also a big ol' Sheaffer Skrip red - which tested quite nice! A bulb syringe so now I can shove water through a pen to better clean it more quickly and blunt tip syringes to get every little drop out of these sample vials. I may never buy a whole jar of ink again!

It was a great chance for me to test out my Phileas after a big ol' cleaning finally bore fruit!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My Santee should have received theirs yesterday.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mine should have gotten theirs two days ago.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I got a box from Goulet of some amazingly well-packed ink samples and a bottle of Poussiere de Lune, all of which are going straight into the ink rotation. Thanks Santa!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hmm, I still haven't gotten anything

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I didn't realize until grack bumped the thread that I had been remiss in posting my pictures and my thanks! :blush:

A package arrived just before New Years:

My cat was sent in to investigate:

A pen! And inks! And seriously tasty candy (the Caramilks are already gone)! And... play-doh?

A seriously fantastic gift from Pixelante! I've been taking the Muji pen to work for the last week to use up one of the cartridges so I can throw in something with a bit more pizazz but it writes wonderfully. Thank you!

P.S. can you explain the Play-doh/not spilling ink samples thing?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Catte likes fountain pens. Catte is good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You stick the sample into the dough and it won’t fall over.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Heath posted:

You stick the sample into the dough and it won’t fall over.

Yup! I'm clumsy, plus I have a cat who likes to jump straight into the middle of whatever I'm doing. After pouring most of a sample across some rather important documents, I starting sticking the samples in dough to hold them secure enough to survive a tap or two. Plus the dough is fun to play with.

grack posted:

Hmm, I still haven't gotten anything

Your Santa sez: soooooon.

If anyone else wants to update their Santee on what's what, just shoot an email to FountainPensSA@gmail.com and I'll sort you out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

well, it seems that posting in this thread made Canada Post get off their asses and actually deliver my package.

Thanks Santa! The licorice is dangerously good.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

well, it seems that posting in this thread made Canada Post get off their asses and actually deliver my package.

Thanks Santa! The licorice is dangerously good.

Glad it finally made it! Sorry about the delay--I suppose that's what happens when USPS and Canada Post get together and get freaky.

That licorice is a family favorite and we usually go through at least one package every time there's any sort of holiday or whatever.

• Locked thread