Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Dear Menorah Man,

I may have zeroed in on Diamine Aqua Lagoon as my turquoise of choise but I have a bunch of other samples to go through. I'm still searching for a red that dries to as close of a red as I can get to a Ferrari. If you know of such a red I would love it! I tend to use my pens for journaling and everyday use so if this red could be low on feathering it would rule.

I've got a Pilot Metro Retro (F) and a Wing Sung 3008 (EF) both in some form of turquoise. Edit: add to that a list a Jinhao X450 in blue/white marbling that I hate, because the nib is HUGE and I think not attached firmly, it just hurls ink onto the paper. I also have a Jinhao 8812 that I haven't had the chance to ink up yet since my sample vials are basically too low for it to fill.

Inks I have tried and my thoughts so far:

-Noodler's Bernanke black (it's black)
-Noodler's Q'ternity (very nice royal blue but I like Monteverde Capri Blue better so far)
-Diamine Aqua Lagoon (Fave so far in terms of turquoise - edit, I went and bought a bottle)
-Diamine Eau de Nil (nice but too dark for turquoise, too turquoise for blue)
-Diamine Poppy Red (closest I've gotten to that Rosso Corsa red so far)
-Nemosine Aeolus Palus red (dries a bit too dark red for me)
-De Atramentis Lavender (Smells nice for a second but then it's just a normal dark blue)
-Monteverde Ruby (too dark red)
-Monteverde Capri Blue (my fave dark blue thus far, I might just do the whole buy a Monteverde pen, get the free ink thing - edit: disregard, it's a selected list of inks only, dangit)
-Monteverde Caribbean Blue (LOVELY color, a bit too light for me though)

Inks I have in my sample queue:

-Diamine Wild Strawberry
-Caran d'Ache Infra Red
-Diamine Turquoise
-Pelikan Edelstein Topaz
-J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor
Tried 'em and I liked Emerald of Chivor the best! Everything else is a no-thank-you or relegated to the family Xmas wishlist.

I do have a couple of Jinhaos inbound because I'm cheap like that and have yet to convince myself to go balls deep and just buy a drat Vacumatic already.

I work not too far from Fountain Pen Hospital and do my other buying through Goulet Pens.

I'm totally open to whatever you think would be interesting and fun for a newbie fountain pen user! I'm trying to get myself to write more as a personal exercise so the more toys the merrier!

Edit: if there's such a thing as a cheapo flex nib pen that's a nice orange or dark green look with silver/chrome/anything not gold decor, that would own. As would a nice color ink for a future use! I'd love to try an ink with a shimmer or multicolor look as well.

NWS packaging is okay but it has to not creep out my wife. Dong glitter is fine, Hustler is not fine.

Thank you tons!

MJP fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a Chanukah celebrator and I have my gift to myself arriving tonight, and my wife got me something too. I think my FPSASS gift is arriving today so I might open it Thursday night to keep the eight nights going.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got mine earlier this week and opened it last night as my Chanukah gift for the evening!

I'm at the office so I don't recall each and every awesome ink sample I got but here's what I can remember:

-Noodler's Navajo Turquoise
-Iroshizoku Yama-dori
-Noodler's Apache Sunset (this was on my "maybe I should try it" list of sunset-colored inks in my previous Goulet sample drop but I ended up nixing it and others to keep prices down, so this is really fortuitous!)
-Private Reserve Avocado
-Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

Also a big ol' Sheaffer Skrip red - which tested quite nice! A bulb syringe so now I can shove water through a pen to better clean it more quickly and blunt tip syringes to get every little drop out of these sample vials. I may never buy a whole jar of ink again!

It was a great chance for me to test out my Phileas after a big ol' cleaning finally bore fruit!

• Locked thread