Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
:devil: Sign-ups close November 30! :angel:

Welcome to the first second Fountain Pen Something Awful Secret Santa! All countries and regions can participate, so long as your account is at least three months old. Newbies, we’ll get you next time.

Participants will exchange gifts valued around $20-30 USD ($25-30 CAD), but used ink samples/bottles or secondhand pens are fine as long as they’re clean. Gift cards are cool too. Check with your post office for shipping costs. Keep in mind that some goons live in places that freeze, which may affect ink. Another option is to ship directly from a shop like Goulet or Wonderpens.

Want to play?

First, send me an email at FountainPensSA@gmail.com. The subject line should say FPSASS17 <YourUserName>. In that email, please include:

Your SA Profile link:
(Optional) Your FountainPenNetwork Profile link:
Name:
Address:
Where you’re willing to ship to: Anywhere? European only, North American only? Other? Outer space? Farther the better?
Also include additional relevant information that you don’t want to publically post, like maybe your Amazon wishlist.

Secondly, please post in this thread with your Dear Santa. You can tell Santa anything, but especially:

What you love, what you’d like to try, or what you definitely do not want.
What you already have. (Optionally link to a Google Spreadsheet with your ink collection. You can also include this in your email to me if you’re concerned about privacy.)
If you’re cool with NSFW packaging or content. (Dong glitter. Just say’n.)
How you use your pens. (Art? Organization? Nanowrimo-ing?)
The shops you prefer, so your Santa can choose a gift-card.

Try to be open-minded about what you might get. $20 doesn’t go far with fountain pens! Hopefully everyone can be matched up, but if you live in Africa and no one is willing to ship outside of North America or Europe you might not be matchable. I’ll do my best.

Most exchanges have a deadbeat. We may vilify and shame them, depending on circumstances, but I’ll probably ask for volunteers to take on an extra Santees in January once the dust settles. I cannot promise that you won’t be deadbeated, as it’s out of my hands.

In summary, the rules are:
Send me an application email, and post in the thread.
Don’t play unless you can afford to send a value of at least $20 USD, with shipping fees on top of that.
If you aren’t okay with NSFW packaging or content, mention it in your Dear Santa post.
Label ink samples clearly.
Get your package in the mail before the end of December, preferably sooner.
Don’t be a deadbeat and stiff your Santee. If poo poo happens and you can’t follow through, let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwuOWfid5IM

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Assignments going out today. I'll post again once they're all out.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Done! Lemme know if I hosed anything up.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Heath posted:

You didn’t post your own Santa letter.

At least that's an easy gently caress-up to fix!

I have an unrelenting case of the ink madness, and swap out ink constantly. Right now I'm rolling with Iroshizuku Ina-Ho, Lexington Grey, and Emeraude de Chivor. Diamine Ancient Copper is also a high rotation ink. My main pen is a TWSBI 580 with a stub, and at home I use anything glittery in my Parallel 1.5. I use a Metro for drawing. I've started messing around with making graphic novels, and fountain pen ink/pens factor heavily into my style at this point. (I just started one about compassionate euthanasia, because I like to keep it light.)

I'm game for wild inks, and love things that glitter, sheen, and shade. I also need to try more pen-friendly papers to figure out which ones I like the best. Would love to try more Sailor Jentle samples, Noodlers, or Iroshizukus I don't already own--everything gets tried because I swap out so often. My collection lacks greens and oranges, and I have no pinks. I'm happy to try more greys. I'm also planning to buy myself a flex pen after the holidays, if no one gets me one for Christmas!

Here's my ink inventory!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Default "rule" is to open your presents whenever they arrive, or whenever you feel like. Put them under the tree if that's your thing, but it's also 100% cool if you open them ASAP and post pics for the rest of us.

We're midway into December already, so just try to get your package into the post before Christmas day. (My gift is packed but not posted yet because holy gently caress have you seen the post office lines this week?)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I care more about reasonable postage cost than actually hitting December 25th. We all have too many things on a deadline in the holidays, so just do your best. If it's not going to get there by mid/late January, maybe drop me a line so I can update your Santee.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I got a box from Goulet of some amazingly well-packed ink samples and a bottle of Poussiere de Lune, all of which are going straight into the ink rotation. Thanks Santa!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Heath posted:

You stick the sample into the dough and it won’t fall over.

Yup! I'm clumsy, plus I have a cat who likes to jump straight into the middle of whatever I'm doing. After pouring most of a sample across some rather important documents, I starting sticking the samples in dough to hold them secure enough to survive a tap or two. Plus the dough is fun to play with.

grack posted:

Hmm, I still haven't gotten anything

Your Santa sez: soooooon.

If anyone else wants to update their Santee on what's what, just shoot an email to FountainPensSA@gmail.com and I'll sort you out.

• Locked thread