Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
a thread for posting cool or interesting ways to play a game as a self imposed challenge or some other thing. speedruns too i guess since we dont have a speedrun thread here

heres a guy playing half life but the maps are upside down and he has to navigate the roof's geometry in weird ways and use every single trick imaginable to proceed skip to 7:30 if you dont want to see the intro lab sections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VTWEQdVhA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i remember watching a fair bit of this too:
a dark souls speedrunner using a program to randomize all drops (save enemy drops) and being forced to use whatever he finds. theres others of these i think because he reaches a point it becomes impossible to finish
its a cool idea imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nb-NQ14Bg

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LobosJr did eventually beat a randomizer run. He’s got a DS2 randomizer run going right now but it’s not quite as entertaining because DS2 is more lenient with letting you travel between bonfires and whatnot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

heres a guy playing half life but the maps are upside down and he has to navigate the roof's geometry in weird ways and use every single trick imaginable to proceed skip to 7:30 if you dont want to see the intro lab sections

the lab sections are hilarious though. it goes truly insane once he gets to some of the later more open levels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

i remember watching a fair bit of this too:
a dark souls speedrunner using a program to randomize all drops (save enemy drops) and being forced to use whatever he finds. theres others of these i think because he reaches a point it becomes impossible to finish
its a cool idea imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nb-NQ14Bg

this is really cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

a thread for posting cool or interesting ways to play a game as a self imposed challenge or some other thing. speedruns too i guess since we dont have a speedrun thread here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VTWEQdVhA

man...how does he do Xen or the outdoor battles

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

extremebuff posted:

the lab sections are hilarious though. it goes truly insane once he gets to some of the later more open levels

yeah personally i still like the intro cause he still has to figure out what to do, but once the whole test chamber thing begins its still waiting for about 4 minutes.

In Training posted:

this is really cool

yeah i love it cause its a guy who pretty much knows the ins and outs of every mechanic and weapon which allows him to improvise his way out of practically everything. makes me think of playin gspelunky or isaac in a way

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

three of my big challenges:

Order of Ecclesia Level 1 hard 128/50 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEr_hgP8Hnlya-5Z9joUDKezv44-1qSX
same thing as Albus - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEr_hgP8HnlOQPI_RV83T9-diAbX4XA0
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment NG+ 0% - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEr_hgP8HnlCd590RVUkcbGGDEexI8pF

Right now I'm working on another OoE thing doing the same thing as those videos but this time with no equipment at all. I love challenge runs

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

lobosjr has a ton of really good souls/bloodborne runs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

lobosjr has a ton of really good souls/bloodborne runs

Yeah he’s great

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

oh my god this upside-down xen is incredible

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evil Eagle posted:

three of my big challenges:

Order of Ecclesia Level 1 hard 128/50 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEr_hgP8Hnlya-5Z9joUDKezv44-1qSX
same thing as Albus - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEr_hgP8HnlOQPI_RV83T9-diAbX4XA0
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment NG+ 0% - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEr_hgP8HnlCd590RVUkcbGGDEexI8pF

Right now I'm working on another OoE thing doing the same thing as those videos but this time with no equipment at all. I love challenge runs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i beat cuphead without any upgrades because the escape key on my laptop doesn't work

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That randomizer Run is awesome, I didn't know having even one piece of thorn armor would make your roll an attack

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i used to wear the helmet in pvp cos it staggers anyone who isnt wearing any poise lel. i think you do more damage with the full set on but the poise damage doesnt change

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Haha cool. My mind was also just blown because he attacked some green texture in the forest and went down some secret hallway with a poison toad in it that I never knew existed

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh yeah the various zelda randomizers are cool too. I played a ton of Zelda 1 randomizer until DJ Cover This copyright claimed the Legend of Zelda theme and muted all of my streams of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've tried to play the Metroid Prime 1 randomizer but it's too hard for me to get very far in bc the glitch tech is specific and difficult

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

I've been playing a lot of the link to the past randomizer lately, it works pretty well. Its default mode doesnt require any glitch stuff thankfully.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh yeah the various zelda randomizers are cool too. I played a ton of Zelda 1 randomizer until DJ Cover This copyright claimed the Legend of Zelda theme and muted all of my streams of it

history will never forgive that monster

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

Haha cool. My mind was also just blown because he attacked some green texture in the forest and went down some secret hallway with a poison toad in it that I never knew existed

its a living tree guarding the wolf ring in the regular game. it even has an attack that it never ever uses that you can see on youtube and the toads drop green blossom which is handy

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwzAf--gQCo&list=PL9A7DD8572486C671&index=7

this guy beats mega man x6 no armors, items, or weapons, no Z Sabre (except where absolutely necessary), no damage, on Xtreme difficulty, using X.

great commentary explaining his route and what parts are difficult for people that have never played mmx6 before

it says its a speedrun but I don't think anyone else has attempted it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

that lizard salamander thing has a crazy model how have i never seen this

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

also that camera glitch he does at the cathedral in burg is apparently a new-ish discovery. I love lobo

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

I think you get the winged spear there too hwhich is badass cause it has a horizontal swipe attack

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Oops its called the partizan

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

In Training posted:

this was the last thing I ever found in dark souls

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i did 3 heart runs of almost every zelda. twlight princess was kind of lame since you're basically invincible in that game unless you break your shield and even then every enemy gives you 3 minutes to avoid their attacks, it was a fun challenge for the others though

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Resident Evil is pretty great for challenge runs too. Recently I did 2 different RE4 pro runs. The first run was using just the 4 pistols with the default case which was actually really awesome and fun. The punisher is secretly a drat nice shotgun substitute. The other was no weapon upgrades. It started fairly difficult but eventually devolved into just selling and rebuying the two magnums near the end. If I ever try that again I'll restrict buying the same weapon twice as well.

I also did a full no save run of Leon A/Claire B in RE2 but RE2 is definitely the easiest resident evil game that I've played. There were a few tense moments for sure but it wasn't a huge challenge.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ive always thought games in general should pay more attention to difficulty and challenge. easy normal hard mode doesnt really work in my opinion, i think 1 difficulty which the game is designed around and a bunch of extra options to add or remove different types of challenge to a game is a better idea. for example in isaac how theres those secret seed codes you can play which make all doors spiked etc. theyre just a novelty in that game but its also the type of challenge a player cant just impose on themselves too, i think its a good concept.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

ive always thought games in general should pay more attention to difficulty and challenge. easy normal hard mode doesnt really work in my opinion, i think 1 difficulty which the game is designed around and a bunch of extra options to add or remove different types of challenge to a game is a better idea. for example in isaac how theres those secret seed codes you can play which make all doors spiked etc. theyre just a novelty in that game but its also the type of challenge a player cant just impose on themselves too, i think its a good concept.

RE4 had a cool system where there was one pretty challenging difficulty, but it subtly curbed things depending on how you were doing. like if you died a bunch of times you'd respawn with full hp, get some extra pickups etc. but if you were pwning enemies got stronger and dropped less ammo.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

There's a video here that goes into more detail if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFv6KAdQ5SE

The rest of the videos on that channel are really good as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

RE4 had a cool system where there was one pretty challenging difficulty, but it subtly curbed things depending on how you were doing. like if you died a bunch of times you'd respawn with full hp, get some extra pickups etc. but if you were pwning enemies got stronger and dropped less ammo.

I don't like systems like these because it means I'm not actually beating the game at the designed difficulty unless I never die. Crash bandicoot does the same thing, it's the earliest example I know of with invisible difficulty sliders that get tweaked based on your death

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

Agreed. Like bastion were you can give enemies bonuses. Or hollow knight where you can overequip charms but it gives you more damage taken

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Halo skulls are a good one too

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I don't like systems like these because it means I'm not actually beating the game at the designed difficulty unless I never die. Crash bandicoot does the same thing, it's the earliest example I know of with invisible difficulty sliders that get tweaked based on your death

I agree, I typically don't like dynamic difficulty if it's not explicitly shown to you like in God Hand. RE4 is nice enough to reset the difficulty to a base level after bosses iirc so it's not too bad. Of course professional mode is the way to go since it's set to max difficulty no matter how much you die.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

The Halo skulls are a good one too

I think I missed a couple but Steamworld 2 has some cool hidden upgrades like this. There's one that makes enemies deal double damage but greatly increases the chance of them dropping gems, and another that gives you extra XP but makes it so enemies only drop health orbs when you perform "creative kills" on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

There's a ton of arcade games with rank systems. But also your goal in those is likely to never die anyway.

• Locked thread