Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

You have to love riots balance team. Rammus is incredibly strong right now with aftershock, and the response is a 4 base armor nerf. I'm fine getting more free wins with him though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Vermain posted:

I think what they've realized is that doing a proper rework requires a lot of effort to make it ring true stylistically and give that champion a proper, defined place in the game. Eve was designed from the ground-up to be a jungler with her own unique strengths and weaknesses, and she's fully succeeded as a reworked champ. Comparatively, I think someone like Quinn is only being played because the quirks of itemization (specifically Lethality) have made her passably okay in toplane, and that's a direct consequence of her being one of eight or nine champions they were trying to simultaneously revamp.

To be fair, Quinn wasn't being played before her rework either. She really just feels like a bad design experiment overall, similar to Morde.

Her old ult was awful since it required an ADC to get into melee range to use, which was basically suicide when every other ADC tries to stay in the backline for a reason. Most people just used it for the execute.

Issue now is her new ult is great for a roaming top laner, and awful for an ADC, but in a game where most top laners are tanky she just screws your team comp unless she can abuse broken mechanics (like Lethality).

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It works because Mundo is disgusting right now. They gave him a bunch of free attack speed when he gets 100-200 ad from his E.

Seriously. Other than a few bad matchups (usually anyone with built in lifesteal), you can just farm to level 6, buy a midtier armor or MR item (chain vest or cowl), and then press R and run your opponent straight out of lane. Half the time you can just turn w on and flat out kill them at any point.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Vermain posted:

I mean, she shouldn't have random drops at all, but if they gotta have them, make them solely summoner spells. At the very least, just strip Gunblade out of the loot table right now, because Zoe randomly getting a chance for a 175 nuke to drop at level 3+ is intensely loving stupid.

Or even make scaling spell tables based on level or skill points in W? Leave it so you can still pick up spells enemies cast, but minions dropping gunblade or tp in early laning phase is just way too strong

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Monicro posted:

Oh yeah there is a friends thing but unless I'm mistaken the one I'm referring to still isnt there? There was one that was like "you had a 65% winrate when your team's toplaner was Darius" etc etc

It's still kinda there with best and worst vs. I have a 100% winrate vs. Nidalee and 100% loss rate vs. Morde. I saw them both once

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Not sure how good it is against legit strategies, but it's hilarious getting a tier 3 lulu with pd, rageblade, and shojins. If you can get enough tanks in front of her (preferably a chogath), she eventually just locks down entire sections of the board by endlessly ulting.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

a fatguy bald spot posted:

wait wHAT
pretty sure I’ve seen it save people before by giving them extra hp on multiple uses

I'm pretty sure it still heals, just doesnt boost max hp anymore. In my game I paired it with a t3 garen with a few tank items and she sustained him through every fight while getting 5 man knockups

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Miftan posted:

I wanna play sorcerers but I never get any decent ones early enough. What do you guys usually use until you can get them? Wild? Also no idea what I'd pair them with at the end. Maybe some random strong front liners.

You can get 3 sorcerer buff off kassadin, lulu, and ahri (swap in veigar or Morg if you can at least get 2*). If you cant get 2* on the 3 cost units I wouldnt bother putting them in until they are. You're way better off even putting in a 2* khazix or a second 2* tank then stacking low rank sorcerers.

You're basically locked out of 6 stack sorcs until at least aurelion sol (who you also want 2*), so just get 3 stack and get the best 2 or 3 star tank you can until late game

E: also if you can get a decently stacked khazix, void buff with kass and cho actually gives some nice depth to a sorcerer comp early on, and needs less investment than wild

Primetime fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2019

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Always feels good to win with off brand comps. Had a tier 3 graves with 4 gunslinger and IE/PD/hydra who was consistently one shooting entire backlines if his gunslinger proc went off.

Not even remotely reliable, and it helped having very early pirates for the massive gold generation, but feels much better than spamming sorcerers every game.

E: also demons are pretty strong already given how common sorcerers are. The demon buffs will probably make them close to top tier next patch

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
The more I play Pirate comps the more I think it may need a bit more reworking (although I do see the nerf in the patch notes), especially now that TF is in the game. It's too easy to just econ to 50 gold in the midgame as long as you're fielding a good enough comp to go even, which isn't hard while using Pyke. Then with even decent luck you will easily have 12-15 gold to spend every round without dropping below 50. In a recent game, at one point I was level 9 and still sitting on 30-40 gold while my opponents had no econ and were level 7.

Maybe something like inverse scaling, where you get ~3 gold on average if you're not holding any gold down to ~0.5 gold on average if you're at 50+. Incentivize spending gold on levels and re-rolls rather than just hoarding to get level 4's and 5's after dragon

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Is there any math out there for how the new thornmail damage compares to the old thornmail? I dont really get how the damage mitigated numbers compare to the reflected damage numbers.

In either case I was trying some new things yesterday and had a thornmail/warmogs/ionic spark level 3 shen last night. I would have preferred either a dragon's claw or hydra instead of the spark, but I grabbed one off the carousel with a large rod so had to make due.

It ended up getting me second place since most adcs and assassins would kill themselves off the thornmail, and my double shojins brand in the backline could drop ults uncontested.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Kaedric posted:

Man I'm gettin depressed. Before patch, I was regularly hitting top 4, would even have some nights where I'd just get first place all night long, kickin mad rear end. This new meta is loving up my world though; I am clearly just not great at the early game. For context, I used to purposefully lose early so I could maintain loss streak and get first item choice, then just beeline to level 8 and econ like mad, then stomp at end of game.

That poo poo just don't work anymore. I had some decent success just taking what the game has been giving me, buying up extra champs to fill the roster in case the next round had 1 or 2 more of the same, and this has been getting me in top 4, but no more first place finishes because I am losing untold amounts of potential interest and just can't seal the deal against the all assassin comps with an akali.

Even if you build tanky, 6ass will rip that poo poo to shreds before you can blink, even if you're crafty and put your carries in the front. I'm honestly just not sure what to do about it. Even in a game where I had two PDs it just didn't matter because akali.

What comp have you been running? In my experience, sorcerers went from one of the strongest comps pre-patch to nearly unusable now. Not sure if they edited the number of sorcs in the deck, but I find it near impossible to get level 3 sorcs now. This in turn seems to have weakened demon's a bit, and made items like dragon's claw less vital to winning.

Also if you want to tank early to get better items, gunslinger blademaster is one of my favorite comps in the current meta. It's rare that people will fight over Tristana's and Graves', so it's pretty easy to get them both to level 3 early. You can then make one or both blademasters (spatula + recurve) depending on how lucky you are with items. Throw in a pyke (generally strong) and GP (blademaster AND gunslinger) to get pirate buff for a ton of passive income early game. Swap pyke for an MF late game, get a level 2 lucian and throw in blademaster's until you get the 6 stack buff. Watch Graves delete entire teams with AOE 3x auto attacks.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

If I'm looking to learn the jungle (Xin Zhao, Kha, Ekko, Nunu, and Lee Sin are in my rotations) are there any streamers or guide websites/programs that I should be looking at for advice so I don't have to dodge whenever I get autofilled to it?

Edit:

More specifically, I don't know optimal rotations. Usually I go from bot side buff, to top side where I either do my wolves/blue/gromp or steal the enemy red after I finished my red while looking for ganks to do wherever I am.

To try to help out here a bit. For the first part of the question, in my experience I have yet to find anyone really useful to watch in the Jungle. For the most part anyone I've tried to watch in the past has fallen into two categories: 1) highly gimmicky jungler trying to make youtube highlight reels (IWillDominate, NightBlue, Trick2G) or 2) People who tilt off the face of the earth and yell at their team in chat after a failed gank.

As for your question, I would just look up a youtube video on jungle pathing in the current meta. Unless you're a jungler who wants to cheese out a level 2 gank (which none on your list really are, though Lee and Nunu could), you're going to want to get level 3 before really fighting. The tried and true starting path is Bot buff with a leash>Wolves>Top buff>Krugs/Gromp depending on what's closest. This will get you to 3 and depending on how much hp you have at this point either take scuttle crab or gank top/mid (or both!).

That said, there's a ton of viable paths now depending on who you're playing/what you're trying to do. If you want to try a farm heavy jungler that wants to rush to 6 (e.g. Karthus), you can clear your whole bot side jungle>recall>clear full top side jungle. If you're an AOE heavy jungle (hecarim/kayn), kill raptors instead of wolves. Want to get 3 after 3 camps instead of 4? Kill krugs instead of wolves second.

Beyond that first clear, just look for ganks where you can, keep dragon and herald/baron warded and try to have a sense of where your opponent is at all times. In a lot of cases a counter gank is just as good or better than ganking yourself. A lot of this part comes from experience / knowing the flow of the game, so I would just recommend playing more jungle and learning as you go.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Re: the garen changes. Are there other characters that have on-hits proc on an AOE ability? I know AD aoe casters grab cleaver since any physical damage procs cleaver passive, but I dont think any of them can use an on-hit item.

I'm not looking forward to some hyper carry garen getting ahead in lane and going conqueror with cleaver/wits end/deaths dance and just aoe shredding entire teams mid game.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

Work argument of the day: will Banshees Veil stop a master yi Q? What would happen

I want to say he still gets the dash but doesnt do any damage. Similar to something like a nautilus hook, where nautilus will do his part of the pull but the enemy wont get affected. Granted I could be remembering wrong

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
If we're ranking best bugs, my vote goes to the time a specific anivia skin would make homeguards slow you to minimum move speed rather than giving you a speed boost.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

What is the best bad skin in the game? Shamrock Malphite? ☘️

I've always been partial to ravager nocturne. Ugly splash art, ugly color scheme, and a nonsensical name.

It's the only one I use

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Bell_ posted:

So uh, ended up with Super Galaxy Rumble.

How low is the skill floor to play this champion remotely effectively?

In addition to all the helpful words already said, I think part of the stigma that rumbles super complicated comes from before his mini rework when he was in fact absurdly complicated.

Heat used to be really hard to manage since its decay would ramp up (going from 5/s, to 10/s to I think 20/s). Which meant you were constantly trying to calculate what abilities you could use. Now if you can count by 10 you're just fine.

Heat still has its nuances but it's not nearly as hard as it's made out to be, so definitely give it a shot

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

foutre posted:

I don't really play Elise, but I'd imagine if you have q w you have 3 damage abilities to his one, so maybe you could fight? I guess you could figure out if that's possible before writing off fighting completely, but basically tracking the enemy jungle as best you can is the answer.

Sometimes ofc you just lose a buff and have to figure out something productive you can do while he's taking his red vOv

Unfortunately early game Elise isn't terribly strong without the element of surprise and wouldn't have the burst to just take out a full hp jungler (especially Lee sin) at level 2-3 (ironically she really starts getting her power with the ludens jungle item).

As stated above, this is a problem that needs to be fixed before it starts, either having an ally ward blue for you, or you using an early yellow trinket at the top river then recalling for red.

Of course if your mid or top roam over thats a different story entirely, but in this situation you are mostly conceding blue and grabbing wolves them gromp instead.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Vino posted:

If we both start red and I'm bot and I have a ward in top river and I'm starting my blue and I see him coming, what's the use of that ward? I see him coming so I could leave or ask my laners to come help but I'm not sure what else I can do. Seems like the better idea is to watch the lane arrivals and counter-jungle.

Depends where you are in the buff when you see him. If you go straight red to blue, and he goes his blue to your blue, you should have a huge head start on progress, especially on Elise. Unless he walks direct through mid which you'd see, he has to walk from his blue to his raptors then still cross the river. You should already have started blue around the time he even gets to his raptors.

So in this situation, drag the blue either into the bush or towards gromp and just finish it. Use smite if it's going to be close. Remember the Lee is coming in blind so he has no idea when to smite or where the blues health is, so it should be an easy smite battle.

The ward is more useful when the led starts his red and goes to your blue. In that case he beats you to the buff (but you'd see him in river first), and you just take his blue buff for an even trade.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

njsykora posted:

The problem I think is that a lot of healing supports can pump out shitloads of healing even through Grievous Wounds, since it's 60% healing and 60% of a Soraka ult is probably still going to be a max heal. This is assuming you can actually land Grievous Wounds on the champ you actually need to reduce healing on.

This is where I see the issue too, there's such a huge gap between ability based healing and purchased or rune based healing. I think GW is a fine counter to an adc who is building Botrk and running conqueror, since cutting 20% lifesteal down to 12% for 800 gold is reasonable.

The bigger issue is kit based healing like kayn (40% lifesteal even on abilities), vlad (35% AP healing + a % of missing hp on low CD), and the huge healing supports like soraka and yuumi get.

GW just sits in a weird spot where it's a solid counter to healing from items that cost thousands of gold, but does next to nothing to stop champions that heal as part of their kit. For it to balance I think you'd need to bring kit based healing down in line with the values you are able to reasonably purchase. Which of course then dumpsters characters like Mundo that rely on kit healing.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/RiotAugust/status/1311002490767204353

:O

Viktor freed from Hexcore Prison! This is huge!

What's the point of the Elise on-hit Q change? All I can think of is letting you proc lich bane...which you promptly do by pressing W for an auto reset during her standard combo anyway. Am I missing an on-hit item that that change would enable?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I've picked up Elise and she is really really fun. I've noticed that her recommended build is pretty standard burst magic assassin with Night Harvester, Hourglass, Morello, etc, but I was wondering if it's also viable (if say, up against a tanky team) to go a Riftmaker build for sustained engages with Demonic Embrace and maybe Nashor's Fang?

From a bit back, but I didn't see it get answered.

Rift maker is tempting for Elise, but it just doesn't really work with her general playstyle unfortunately. Else's damage combo is very fast and front loaded, so you're only getting a 3-6% damage buff before all your abilities are on cool down.

She doesn't really have great survivability or damage once she's on cool down, so you'd really rather use rappel or zhonyas to buy time for your abilities to come back up for another full combo rather than trying to keep rift maker going.

Plus, since nightharvesters mythic passive gives cdr, it gets you off cooldown way faster which is a way more important for dps on Elise than the true damage would be.

Not to mention her Q abilities are all % based, so if you really need it you can get a void staff instead and still shred tanks.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Sure the 3-4 damage changes probably don't have as extreme as an impact as people make it out to be. But, kayn had 1 second taken off his Q at some point last season (so this nerf is really just a revert), and I remember this thread getting excited how much this would strengthen his early clear and improve his team fight potential. 1 second on a low cool down ability is huge.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you also used to not get flash until almost level 30
and buying champs used the same currency (IP) as buying old paytowin runes so if you actually wanted to unlock interesting characters to play you would be at an explicit statistical disadvantage compared to your enemies
some junglers couldn't even finish their first clear without the stats from a rune page

My favorite was you couldn't even use akalis passive early game without a specific rune page, until they decided to give her a buff to specifically make her passive work all the time. Which they did by raising base stats... Not by changing her passive.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm a little surprised Axiom Arc procs off *any* damage, not specifically *ultimate* damage.

Having it work off ultimate damage only would really limit it's use on characters that want it. Rengar and Kha'zix, for example, don't do any damage with their ult. Usually the AP assassin ultimates are more designed to execute and kill directly.

That said, I think Axion Arc would be ok if they switched it from refunding 25% of total cooldown to 25% of current cooldown instead. Taking a guaranteed ~15 seconds off your ult per kill is crazy as it is, and using current cooldown would at least incentivize getting resets by killing with your ult rather than getting full refunds for just throwing out assists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I keep all chat off at all times and then as soon as I fail a gank or die in lane solo I mute my entire team except pings. If I right the ship I'll unmute my team. It's gone a long way in preventing tilting harder.

Basically just never talk unless it's going to be positive