Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

foutre posted:

Fun fact for season 8: according to Meddler, Sona and... Yorick ?? are the top performing champs on the patch. Finally Yorick's time to shine...
Yorick's Q affecting structures likely has something to do with any performance metric increase. I think it's already slated for reversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

kingcobweb posted:

The current runes are really unkind to Nunu (and Ivern). He definitely needs a rework, even though I adore playing him when he's decent. He's just so different than a traditional jungler.

They've tried a few times to rework different parts of him as a stopgap until he gets a full overhaul: his Q used to just be a smite + heal, then they gave it different buffs based on what he eats with it, then they replaced that with a max HP + movespeed stacking mechanic, then they changed his passive so it also casts the spell one level above in addition to making it free.

All of that is playing in the margins and ignores the fact that his kit is six years out of date.

Nunu is one of the worst performing champs across any role right now and I'm super ok with that because when Nunu is good he's obnoxiously so.

What I'm saying is rework Nunu because he's extremely boring and nothing about him clicks except the ice + yeti thing I guess. Just make him an ADC version of Kled who throws snowballs.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

gowb posted:

Watchoo takin on on her rune wise

Press the Attack and whatever else you want 'cause you literally need no other help.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Methanar posted:

trip report: way weaker early than udyr but better mid to late because you have an actual dash. Damage is more immediate too.

If you get onto anyone, it's instant death

Why play for late game when you can just murder everyone early and never have to worry about it, though? :shrug:

(She and Warwick are my oops-Udyr-was-banned picks.)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I just gave him a whirl but what the gently caress Xin is both stupid easy to play and stupid strong. I don't get it.

E: Like I casually went 18/2/7 in a 22 minute game. It's so dumb.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Tri Force and hydra work better on xin than quite possibly anyone

He doesn't even need hydra

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Teikanmi posted:

attention low elo players

if you're winning

just end the game

the reason why you are low elo is because you don't know how to just end a game
People at high elo can't end games like 50% of the time either.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rengar snowballs harder than Kha'zix thanks to his passive (flat + % bonus AD), but suffers from having a weak initial clear/poor early dueling. Kha'zix snowballs well, but doesn't have the early clear and dueling issues (thanks to Q Isolation bonus).

The new season's current meta of duel early fight often tends to favor Kha'zix over Rengar, though your overall success with either will depend on you getting kills early to start snowballing.

P.S. I think tank meta should be coming back once folks realize the strongest champs right now are ones that get to build all HP and resist and still poo poo out damage.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

This game just happened.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elman posted:

Yeah I gave up on Rengar and bought Jarvan instead, I'm enjoying him so much more. I'm not taking my chances with another Assassin till I have a decent jungle lineup to pick from. "Feast or famine" sounds really unfun.

Should I Q>E>W or Q>W>E with jungle Jarvan? Or something else?

E at level one, then as KCW stated it's R>Q>E>W. Dunk all day.

J4 can't also be built as a surprisingly effective assassin. Grab Duskblade after a Warrior jungle item (or rush the Duskblade if you're feeling saucy). The proc benefits from your 26% Armor Shred on Q if you combo before you auto. J4 can pop a lot of people basically all game long because of this.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

How Rude posted:

Mordekaiser Yasuo Shaco.

I guess when you pick a bunch of worthless turd champions you hard feed.
Yasuo is really strong right now with Press the Attack, so I don't know why you'd call him worthless.

What I was really hoping you'd notice is that the game ended at 15 minutes with a 14K gold disparity. Did Shaco's red (since he started mine) and blue into gank bot, then just circled around and did bot again before rolling mid, etc. Absolutely poo poo stomped everywhere. We took bot tier 1 at like 4:30.

Was just trying to show that Xin is currently super strong for applying earlier pressure basically anywhere he wants to.

In other news, Tank Meta is absolutely a thing that is going to happen. Games I've recently played that have had 2+ tanks have always ended with that team winning, regardless of how much of a pounding their team takes early. All tanks are currently making GBS threads out a lot of damage and CC while simultaneously being incredibly hard to kill.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

How Rude posted:

Yasuo actually sucks because he is competing with Shyvana, Irelia, Jax, Udyr, and Xin Zhao, all of whom dick him hard throughout the whole game.
Yasuo is not a jungler, and so the typical "don't be bad in top-lane" boiler-plate applies here. Late-game Yasuo is still very strong - getting there is hard if you're awful.

Rygar201 posted:

God i loving hate tank meta :smith:

Oh well, better find some tank I can enjoy jungling
Last night featured a game featuring Nasus [top], Malphite [mid], Zac [jungle], and Tahm Kench [support] on the enemy team. Our team was bruisers/assassins/etc., and we absolutely bodied them early. However, we were unable to close the game out before like the 15 minute mark when tanks started to hurt way too much and stay alive way too long.

It's really, really dumb how strong tanks are right now and I entirely expect tank meta to be king again.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

My new favorite League moment: enemy team gets aced, my team loses 4 - I'm still up as Kench. I'm ending the game (Nexus turret + Nexus) slow as heck because I'm Kench. Enemy Vlad spawns first - ahead of his team by about 15-20 seconds - and tries to take me down. I ignore him and plink away, Tongue Lashing him in between autos on the Nexus. Devour him, finish Nexus with him inside me.

Feels good.

Also friendly reminder than tanks are busted right now.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dragongem posted:

Someone mentioned Udyr is viable with PtA and I've been really enjoying playing him and feeling fairly effective.

I'm glad I can play Udyr.
You're welcome.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Also is it just me or is Nasus loving insane suddenly? Every time I see one they just melt people.
Nasus has always done this. It's just now there's runes that really help you do this. Build him tanky (shocker), and you'll just be around long enough for Q to chunk people.

Tanks are just great right now. Last night I managed to get +165 HP from Grasp before laning ended against an Irelia. I also killed her/enemy jungle every time they tried to gank me because being able to build pure tank and poo poo out more damage than two people is ridiculous.

Until traditional bruisers get an actual viable Keystone top lane - since just flat out none of them work well there - you can just pick any champion that scales with HP/resists and go destroy some hopes and dreams.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly you should probably ban kassadin every game too now as well. His ratios are back at the level they were when he was 100% pick ban and with the new runes you can both: a: put out an unreasonable level of early poke with Q and Aery, and b: Riftwalk 8 times with the 800 mana cost riftwalk thanks to presence of mind and with a 1 second cooldown thanks to ultimate hat.

Friendly reminder in the wake of Kassadin :tinfoil: posting that - aside from a 0.1 bump to R in April - Kassadin's ratios haven't been touched since 2015.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

If you're up against Yorick, just play Tryndamere. It's already a pretty easy match-up, and if you go the standard CDR route + Ultimate Hat you have R on like a 40 second CD which means there's never a time Yorick gets to all-in you and win.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tryndamere is still strong just by virtue of his kit. Just stomped a Kayle into the ground because my R is better than her R.

Still uncertain of what keystone I actually want, given they all seem absolutely god awful.

E: Oh and since I was meaning to try it Morgana can solo clear Blue -> Wolves -> Red with ~30% HP in 1:40. Leash out the gate should push that time forward by 15-20 seconds. Could be fun to test.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 7, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm expecting Zoe nerfs very soon.
Removing the CDR from her E is probably the best place to start. There's no reason to give you more rewards for hitting (or trigger) what is already likely the single strongest CC in the game by virtue of it's range, flexibility, and bonus damage effect.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

its only powerful if you're 1v1 though, if your allies are around there's around a 100% chance of them breaking the sleep with an auto.

yeah remove the cdr from that and then re-assess. or just make the cdr less powerful

The bonus damage portion, sure. But given her play patterns typically revolve less around "do cool stuff" and more around "fish for a hit with sleep from places no on sees you" she just needs to be hamped in that area in particular.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

kingcobweb posted:

Clash looks absolutely incredible and I look forward to the inevitable collapse of Goon Diamond Stack
It's because they'll ban Janna to remove a player from the game.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tales of Woe posted:

Aatrox is still really good at killing people at level 2 if they don't understand how he works
He does this far better at level 3 when you have all three buttons to push.

Aatrox, in general, is pretty good at being a fight man in top lane. He's got some noticeably bad match-ups, though.

Including this laundry list of champions:

People Who Beat Aatrox posted:

• Anyone who built Bramble Vest

Aatrox's whole schtick is that he is much worse melee version of Vladimir who attacks you really fast when he wants to all-in you. Fortunately for literally anyone who has to lane against him, this means that for a simple 1K investment they can become utterly immune to all the poo poo Aatrox wants to do to you.

Don't get me wrong, though - Aatrox is fun, and I've definitely got more than a few wins with him (recently, even!) in ranked going topside. But literally every win is against a top laner who didn't build bramble vest, and every lane loss is against someone who did.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Wasnt aatrox buffed both as a champion and also with the thorn mail nerfs and sunfire buffs making grievous wounds less common
The buffs were like... 2 more base AD, +20 damage on Q at max rank (which you get last so... irrelevant) and E does 10 more at rank 1 and 5 more at all other ranks.

His numbers and kit are still really unimpressive for a top lane fighter/bruiser, and far and away his biggest issue is still his passive needing to stack to 5 (which you only do quickly by landing Q/E/R on three people).

The Bramble Vest nerf had zero impact in scenarios you wanted to build it because it was never the damage it dealt that was an issue (although it didn't help), but rather it was the fact that it provided an inexpensive way to apply grievous wounds with zero effort to do so. At least Execs and Morellos require you to actually hit the dude - Bramble just raises its fingers to the air against any champion that relies on auto attacks and lifesteal/healing.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

its curtains for Kevin posted:

To kind of expand on that, Aatrox is in the subset of characters who snowball by sustaining so much health that they can outlast 2 people. With grievous wounds, no amount of snowballing will allow him to right click through 3 people in a team fight any more.
I'm referring to game-states well before this point in the game.

In laning, for example, Aatrox still excels against many other fights whose goal is to out-trade, since he'll typically go even but then sustain all that damage away. Against tanks like Singed, for example, Aatrox wants to just sit there and whack him and swap to healing when he's sub-50% to really stretch things out. However, when you're level 3 or 4, that means you heal for 40+some small chunk of missing HP... less 50%, every three hits. Which is often less HP than the amount you take on the chin JUST from the Bramble Vest return passive.

Against Aatrox in particular, Bramble Vest is just one of those items with a TON if hidden power all encapsulated within Grievous Wounds automatically applying to anyone who would get aggressive with a tank. It's an incredibly effective and efficient item, and it's super-underrated and under-valued by most.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

My best game for assists was the single game I played Nunu in ranked and won with a score of 3/1/29. I don't even remember what that game was but it apparently happened.

Unsurprisingly I have a bajillion games on Tryndamere and Udyr (58.9/61.9% win rates respectively). Shockingly, as someone who plays nothing but a ton of melee fight mans, my most-lost-to champ was Lulu. This year in review thing is kinda neato.

E: In the entire year I cast Udyr's Q over 10K times. I can Udyr's R just over 100. :unsmith:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Verviticus posted:

bring back old aatrox

having a w stack is an OK way to do it as well
I'd be ok with reverting to old Aatrox as well; I have more of my games on that iteration than this one.

And as for stacks: in top lane I'm typically always resting on 3-4 stacks (swap to healing mode once you get there so you don't rack any more up), so that when I land an E I can get Tempo starting up while I dive in. Then you your rad max stacks initiation with tons of rune + passive attack speed + bonus base AD, so you hurt a lot. My complaint regarding stacks is that once mid/late game rolls around your passive feels like it's locked away because Aatrox is a great skirmisher and his passive absolutely wants you to go balls deep and still run this risk of getting popped/CCed before you get the fifth stack live.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Verviticus posted:

i dont really know how to make the new one work, but the old one i just split pushed like i was on tryndamere - a bit weaker than trynd is at that, with the caveat that you can always initiate a teamfight if it comes to you
This one still plays a lot like the old one but I feel like you want to itemize a bit differently. Before it was always rush a Tiamat item into like Shiv or PD and then GA or some other bruiser-y stuff. Now he really wants to just abuse Lethal Tempo + his passive. Typically got BotRK into Guinsoos and GA. Start E-W-Q then R>W>E>Q (since E sucks now that it's physical damage).

In lane just get your passive stacks to 3-4 and sit on them. Poke enemy with E: if you hit, swap W to damage and Q in. By the time you land/knock them up you'll get the attack speed boost from Tempo plus the attack speed and base AD from your passive. If the enemy tries to melee trade with you they lose hard. Otherwise, they blows summoners or other escapes, at which point you get to sustain any damage you took with W just like old Aatrox would.

Mid-late he kinda feels similar where he just wants to split and be a weaker Tryndamere, with the exception that you don't get tanky enough to force fights - though if your team has tertiary initiation you can help I guess. And, as mentioned, hope no one builds early Bramble Vests because you literally can't beat them if they do. It's really sad.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

And this.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Vermain posted:

Man, poo poo, they're really cheap now, too. Relic tier 3 is 1900, Spellthief is 1800, and Oasis is only 1500. That's within around 400-500g saved getting Sightstone, which is fantastic.

Other PBE changes: Aftershock now gives 100 (!) Armor/MR with no scaling and damage is down to 10-120 from 40-140. Guardian's up to a 70s cooldown. Ornn got whalloped (30s CD increase on his rank 3 ult, no more unstoppable on Bellow's) and Jinx got buffed with a bunch of QoL stuff.
Rammus gonna be real popular again.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Radical posted:

i think of all the weird takes ive heard from the dota > lol posters "spells drawing tower aggro feels weird" is the strangest

the reason i like the creep aggro change is because a lot of targeted spells are specifically hard for them to balance in lower ELO. having the creeps re-target means people need to play around creep waves (and the bushes in sidelanes.) i think the change just has the best potential of making targeted spells more fair at multiple skill levels.

currently the gangplank Q will draw creep aggro and people seem fine with that.

GP's Q has always drawn creep aggro. It is, for all intents and purposes, a modified auto-attack.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Vermain posted:

Pretty much the only champions I'd recommend a new player stay away from are champions with high skill floors (Riven, Yasuo, Zed, Tahm Kench, Ryze, off the top of my head), as they tend to require solid mechanical execution and good game knowledge to do anything.

wat

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I think honestly the hardest part of playing Tahm Kench is hoping your allies remember what your buttons do because no one seems to understand that if I eat you and you right click like a moron you don't stay safe for like 5 seconds and instead we're both sad.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Addamere posted:

Is jungle Karthus a thing that can be done or am I just seeing weird things?
It's always been viable [if you can position for Q properly]. The issue that he often has is that enemy junglers who know your route and how to time it, and who can counter-jungle/invade you (i.e. Lee Sin, Udyr, Nunu) will really, really put the hurt on you because you are made of tissue paper and have a crippling dependency on blue buff for your first clear.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheAnomaly posted:

The way the jungle shakes out right now, you pretty much CAN jungle anything. Karthus has no real way to set up solid ganks, however, so while it likely COULD be done, it probably shouldn't.

I mean, he has a slow and the potential to hit hard, but he's also tissue paper and absolutely has to have blue buff and can't really duel at level 1/2, so any half decent jungler will just gank him as he waddles towards wolves and end his ability to do anything at all.
Karthus wall is great for ganks. It's wide, has a long cast range, and 40% base slow w/ 15% MR shred. He also clears relatively quickly.

His biggest issue is the same as it's always been: he must start at blue to clear. He cannot duel effectively early (at 4+ he duels alright, if only because he will often go 1-for-1 thanks to his passive), and - more to the point - because he is squishy early if your allies don't have follow-up CC in ganks after your W, smart enemy players (which is most certainly not all of them) can simply turn their ire directly to Karthus and kill him to at worst go 1 for 1.

In addition to the necessity for blue on first clear, Karthus also jungles from blue side poorer than red side, just because the ADC/Support assist on red side blue clear is often stronger than the top laner assist (especially in relic meta, where the support will often take a couple smacks for you).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

any junglers who are above plat 3 want to play in a tournament series on sunday nights at 6 CST

theres a prize pool if we get to playoffs and win
I'm Plat 4 after placements / was Plat 2 prior to the restart. I will hit the enemy mans and punch the monsters in the forest area.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Addamere posted:

I think a lot of Illaoi's strength at least at low mmr is entirely psychological.

You know when you are going against her that if she lands her E it's going to suck unless you can win the trade and tank the tentacles. You know that trying to kill her tentacles puts you in a great position to for her E to land. Speaking from my experience as a bad Teemo player, she terrifies me because it feels like my choices are to either fight her and probably lose or just not get to play. Trying to dodge her Q and her E to get CS while she is trying her best to get in your face is scary, because if you fail to dodge the E just once you get to miss several waves because she'll clear the current wave and be ready to threaten you with the next E after you're done playing the spirit vessel minigame. Once you've hosed up and been hit once, you know she can hit you with it and you're scared. And it sucks to have to play that minigame of retreating to dodge the spirit tentacles.

I'm sure better players than me know how to read the fights better, and/or play better champions into her, but for a squishy guy whose main defense is "run away slightly faster than normal" and whose main offense is "poke them," Illaoi is not a fun lady to fight.

This is actually just Illaoi at all ranks. Some champs can handle her shove better than others, and some can even fight her, but the universal truth for all of these cases is that "Dodge her E" is a mandatory requirement for coming out ahead/being able to duel her.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

How Rude posted:

sometimes white noise shitposting doesn't pay

looking at you 80% of the thread

:ironicat:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mierenneuker posted:

Speaking of different MOBAs, apparently Epic's Paragon just got its death sentence. Anyone played it? Did it have interesting mechanics? Or any abilities/kits that would be great to see in more popular MOBA? Edit: Ah, here is a playlist with character overviews. Gonna to watch that later on.
I felt like the issue with Paragon was that it didn't know if it wanted to be a MOBA or if it wanted to be TF2.

Another issue it suffered from was that the item system was very, very unintuitive. This is a huge problem, and a huge barrier to entry into a MOBA environment. I felt like it had a lot of potential but Epic just kinda didn't realize it. Jungling, for example, was at points incredibly inefficient and a flat do-not-do-this-thing and then at others an incredibly efficient do-this-thing-or-you-lose, so clearly finding balance was an issue.

The 3rd person shooter perspective also just didn't feel satisfying for ranged heroes since their shots would just magically vanish at set distances. You probably didn't miss much if you missed out on Paragon, but it is a shame it never got good.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Servaetes posted:

Ivern is not useless presently, he's a totally fine and suitable pick in the jungle. He's weaker than he was several patches back where they really overcompensated his release with way too many buffs, but he's really far from Kindred tier, lol

Also, do not play him as a support, he really doesn't work anywhere but the jungle. Much like Nunu!

Nunu mid counters Vayne mid, Keeby can confirm.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I miss MakNooN

I miss Matazat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Bleck posted:

I've heard legends of Twitch stalking around, invisible, with multiple Sunfire Capes and everyone around him slowly melting
That was Eve.