Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Vino posted:

For when to back, learn wave management. Not sure how it works in Dota, but the way it works in League is: When you kill/push out the enemy laners, fast-push the wave into the enemy tower (and I mean all the way in, your minions attacking the tower) take a plate if they're up then press B. Generally if the enemy laner pushes moderately hard you have about the amount of time it takes to walk back to lane to get back before the minions hit your tower again.

You must must must leave lane if the enemy leaves lane even if you just got a kill because otherwise they will be back with items and be more powerful. It gets more complex but if you follow the basic rule of "push and back to get new items" then you're doing it 85% right.

The remaining of wave management 15% is freezing for various reasons. There's a bunch of very different scenarios where this is worthwhile, and the most often seen and most often misused of them is "I'm behind and need to farm back to relevance".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Used to be picking a mage support was considered bad because they didn't scale due to lack of funds. Then they got more money so they scale.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Horizon focus' secret is that's its a big AP statstick and the passive is irrelevant.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I'm struggling to see a scenario other than an allin where you are allowed to hit the enemy three times before throwing an ability

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think Crown of the Shattered Queen is very good. I know it's the same cooldown and rules as Banshee's Veil but it just feels way too long and it's too easy to reset it via a random 10 damage poke ability.

Between Crown and Axiom Arc I think assassins came out way ahead of mages here.

It is by far the most efficient statstick mythic if you like the stats - and the active on it is very powerful if you actually get to use it. Seems like it should have niche uses where its really strong.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I like ranked because imaginary internet points provide some minor incentive to actually keep trying to win instead of giving up on a game and hoping the next will be better.

But then the actual optimal strategy for acquiring points is to go next as fast as possible, dropping your 1/100 chance of winning and increasing the speed at which you can get your next game with decent odds.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

People in my games certainly seem to think this is true but it's definitely not

If you want the highest ev points per hour you should nearly never surrender unless your chance is literally as you say 1/100 and I don't think teams are consistent enough to close stuff like that out until very high elo, most hopeless games probably have like a 10-20 percent chance of a comeback and not changing that to 0 is probably better than starting a new game

There's obviously a spectrum with this kind of thing - afk after giving up first cannon creep at one end, vs 0-79 "we scale" at the other. Given there are bots with something like a ~65% accuracy predicting the results from champ select alone, by the time you're out of laning and every lane is behind? I don't think it's unreasonable to call 1/100 chances quite a common occurrence.

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 20, 2022

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

el dingo posted:

Yeah practice tool just cuts into playtime so my practice is called normals

I've found ranked a lot harder this year for some reason, dunno if I can be bothered hitting gold again

There's no denying practice tool is far more efficient. Also less fun.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Which honestly implies to me that either you're on your way up or you're doing something suboptimal in decision making

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old game devs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Because the intent is for you to use it to farm monsters and follow up on your e stun, not just bust it out easily midcombat.

They need to change the sound design or something to make it much more obvious to the player which rock hit they're on. I keep having to look down at my bar to see whether I have an active rock or not.