Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Rygar201 posted:

I am so glad MF is in meta again. She's so much fun to play, I am really enjoying the change from Ardent Meta where it was all late game right clickers all the time

Hell yes my dude. Hell yes.

Also hello new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
What about Fiora? I never played old Fiora because I'm a new scrub, but I really enjoyed the mechanics of new Fiora when I started actually dedicating time to playing League. She's still one of my favorite champions. But I have no context because I never experience the original version.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

This is by far the best shop I've ever received.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Guys, I'm gonna play something other than ADC for the new season.

Thinking support or jungle. Any strong arguments either way?

I'm terrible at paying attention to the map, so I think either role will help with that.

Or I become a Fiora top one trick.

Thread decides.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Matt Lindland posted:

Skin Idea: Thin Gragas.

mods??

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

FWIW :shrug:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
If you are trying to dominate solo q as a support you should play... Lux.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
galaxy brain level thinking, just play yasuo bot with alistar

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I use my thumb for flash. This must be why I'm hard stuck in Silver III...

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
So is top lane still the least impactful lane right now? Because after some self reflection I've concluded that I belong in the least impactful lane in the game.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
That baron talk was informative. Thanks goons!

When it comes to solo queue, I know you have limited ability to influence the outcome of a match, but with that said I'm finding myself wondering more and more how to make the correct picks in champ select to round out a team composition. I did some Googling and didn't find anything relevant to today's meta. I know there are a million things I should probably be more focused on, but I'm old and even though I have a desire to get better and rank up I'm more playing to have fun and dissect the parts of this game that are interesting to me. Right now that's how to build a well rounded team comp. Any general tips?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

kingcobweb posted:

To be blunt, the best team comp in solo queue is one where people can play their loving champions.

I'd rather have Gangplank/Master Yi/Zed/Kai'sa/Pantheon than a "good" teamcomp, if it's a choice between one-tricks with something they have 1000 games on vs first-timing something else.

That said, you're going to want:
  • someone doing magic damage
  • someone doing physical damage
  • someone to start a fight (engage)
  • a decent balance between having enough damage and having enough CC

Having someone that does physical damage is easy, since there's only a couple ADCs that do more magic damage than physical (Kog'Maw and Corki), and they're unpopular at the moment. Usually, the opposite happens, and you're stuck with an awful teamcomp like the above where they can just stack armor.

Part of that "balance" is having ganks that make sense. If you have an all-damage jungler (Lee Sin, Nidalee, Graves), then the lane their ganking should probably have some CC to set up the gank, or vice versa, where a high-CC jungler is ganking a high-damage laner. Sometimes you can burst a guy with pure damage, and sometimes you have enough damage with two tanks, but it's tougher.

Another aspect if the spectrum between teamfighting and splitpushing. Say that you have a Tryndamere top. He's an awful teamfighter, but a very good split-pusher/duelist, so ideally, your team should play around that. If everyone else is playing teamfight champs like Amumu and Orianna, they'll always want to group and the Trynd (justifiably) will go "lol nope." Sometimes, you get such a good deathball comp with something like those that you can just go around the map as five killing everything even if you're down 5k gold.

There's certain picks that it's hard to find a circumstance where they don't fit the teamcomp, and they're valuable. Janna is a good example. There's only been a few times where I had a team with zero engage and wish I was on something else, but since she's so strong across the board (laning, skirmishing, teamfighting, disengaging) you'll never yell at someone for picking Janna.

But again, back to reality... this is solo queue, it's usually decided by who leaves laning phase ahead. Win your lane. If you have a pick where you're like "yeah I'll lose lane but..." you're setting yourself at a big initial disadvantage.

edit: forgot to mention that I specifically said a champ that deals magic damage, not necessarily a mage/AP carry. Especially in lower Elo, something like Maokai or Ornn that gets ahead is going to deal more damage than an ADC, because it's easier to stand near people and deal ambient damage than it is to kite effectively.

This is great. Thanks!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Get some advice from this thread, log in today to put it into practice, can't make a lobby. loving Riot holding me back from realizing my true potential... AGAIN.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Lost my wallet today.

But did this in a 4v5 ranked game:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

kotaku article posted:

most spoke anonymously because they feared for their future careers in the games industry or they were concerned that League of Legends’ passionate fanbase would retaliate against them for speaking out.

Those judgmental motherfuckers ARE out to get us!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hello thread. World's is happening and as a result I've got the league itch again for the first time in over a year. After playing some ranked games the past two days I've determined that League of Legends... is good. :cheers:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Fiora is fun in League AND lolstone.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
EDIT: ^^^^ hell yeah

There are also some features that are non-existant right now: friends list, and auto-buy cards to complete an imported decklist come to mind. Actually, the entire crafting cards and looking at your collection element of the UI could use a QoL pass. Those weird loading moments after you craft cards are :confused:.

The core gameplay is really solid and engaging though, and that's what is important. For this being an "alpha preview" it feels very polished and I'm excited to give Rito more of my bux.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Speaking of roles, since Worlds brought me back to playing ranked I once again feel like I need to quit playing bot. I just consistently am not having fun unless I spam Kai'sa and even that gets boring. So lately I find myself spamming Fiora top since she is my #1 comfort pick, or Kayle if Fiora is picked/banned. I have also played a handful of games with Thresh (my Support comfort pick) and Orianna Grande - my mid comfort pick.

None of these have me super jazzed at the moment. Any recommendations for champ/role combinations that are completely different from these? Let's just ignore the ADC role completely as I can't see myself enjoying it at all right now. Other than that I'm down to try anything.

If it matters I'm somewhere in Silver and I think the last time I was playing a lot of ranked I peaked at S1.

Lastly, an observation: since I've returned to League I have been flat out ignoring my LP, promos, and literally everything to do with my rank and I have to say it is the absolute best way to play this game. All of my energy is focused on my mechanics and self improvement. And lately when a teammate or opponent shits on me in chat it's rolled off me like water. I think I've achieved some weird Zen mentality and it's made the ranked experience noticeably more fun. Game is GOOD.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I'll try Swain top and some supports. Definitely going to pick up Senna once she releases. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

First Swain top game. I loving love this champion. Nobody focused me in teamfights me so I just sat in the middle of teamfights with my R and once they realized I'm pushing their poo poo in just Zhonya's and then pop the second activation on ult.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I appreciate this conversation about junglers and the dynamics of taking minions but on the other hand I just bought a name change to Taxman and I’m switching to jungle main.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Are sites like proguides.com actually worth the investment? Lately I've been feeling a lot of drive to improve my play. 7.99 / mo is not going to break the bank for me by any means but I also don't like throwing money away.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Monicro posted:

There's so much free educational resources that you really don't need to pay for anything to improve unless you're literally like masters or higher. Just watch high-elo streamers, watch the coaching sessions of the chumps who did pay money (LS has a ton of videos on his youtube channel focusing on fundamentals if you can tolerate his personality), download a free program like mobalytics that'll give you some decent feedback, and you're good to go

Thanks. I am Silver III right now and I've peaked at S1 so if anything I should probably just play more and watch free videos / read free guides. I've got a long way to go before I need in depth analysis of my gameplay.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Sexpansion posted:

just improve your average CS by like 2 / min and you'll go up a few divisions.

there are some really simple improvements you can make to your play that will pay serious dividends over time.

I will focus on this. I like taking one specific mechanic and paying extra attention to honing it.

I ran the numbers today and assuming the absolute worst case scenario where I lose every game, including the world pass win bonus of 18 tokens, I have to play 10 games per day to get 2200 tokens for the prestige points. If anyone needs me I'll be on the Howling Abyss.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Senna releases today correct? I’m stuck in a work conference all day. :argh:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Toxic Mental posted:

Nope, November 10th (Riot gotta get that weekend RP money)

Toxic Mental posted:

Nope, November 10th (Riot gotta get that weekend RP money)

Thanks summoners.

Rito is currently out to ruin my 2200 world's token dreams with these game client shenanigans. :tinfoil:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I have never played an auto chess game. Is TFT complicated? Someone mentioned earlier that it's a good way to afk farm world's tokens which I need. But I'm also having a blast playing Rakan on the rift.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
TFT is fun but also really hard. I have literally no idea what I’m doing. I placed last, second to last, and then I got extremely lucky and placed second. I don’t know when to spend gold, when to save it, how to build a team comp, or how to build items. But the similarity to a deck building style card game is there so I’m in, just not for my world token grind. Tomorrow after work I’m going to dig around for some guides or something.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I got another second place with a stack of predators and glacial, going for stun chance and then executing dudes. I lost to someone who got a three star Veigar that blew up all my dudes. TFT is interesting. I have been going all in on whatever my original dudes are, so I'm getting 3 star 1,2,3 gold champions. Is it ever worth it to transition to 3,4 gold champions or 5g? When it was me and first place guy I tried dumping all my gold to get a two star Ashe and got it on the round I lost.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Stefan Prodan posted:

man for all the work I put into getting good at this game I am still so loving bad at not getting hooked/morg rooted/Jhin rooted/whatever in lane lol

It gets better. I don’t know what elo you are at, and full disclosure I’m middling in silver, but I remember when things changed for me. There’s a lot I don’t know about this game but for a while I focused a lot on my positioning and I think I do alright at dodging skill shot hooks. Also it might be a thing that outright wins you games, but it feels pretty loving good when the opposing thresh hasn’t landed a hook on you all game. Maybe spend a few days ignoring all the other facets of the game and focus entirely on positioning and dodging hooks. I think one of the keys of getting better is honing in on one small part of the bigger picture for a time. And then eventually opening up your focus to how that one thing fits into the bigger picture. Like for me right now I’m just focusing on cs. I think sexpansion gave me that advice - that based on my elo improving my cs will pay dividends.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Stefan Prodan posted:

i'm in low plat which makes me feel like if I could figure out why I keep getting hooked I would be pretty good lol

there's just moments where like I'm csing and then thresh or morgana or whatever starts walking up past the minions and I'm just like oh there's nothing I can do anymore huh whoops

Yeah you know more than I do haha.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

M. Night Skymall posted:

Install blitz, it has an overlay for both those things.

This for sure. Blitz is super useful in TFT. https://blitz.gg/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Dragon changes are interesting. It feels extremely punishing to give up a dragon and if you give up more than two it feels hopeless. This is my silver NA perspective.

Also now that we're in preseason I'm trying jungle. It is hard but it is fun and good.