Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Door Frame posted:

I think that Riot is either really, really aware of the ADC problems, or is really, really stupid

That "well, it's because kiting" comment seems like a bad faith assessment of realizing that nearly 3/4 of cheaters cheat as an ADC. I'm hoping that it is and they're just saving face in their public blog, but it could just as well be them going "duh, ADC's are squishy and have poor mobility, no wonder they want to kite better" and moving on
Their assumption is that more ADCs cheat because cheats are more effective ("performant") for the role.

Which seems like a fair conclusion, I think. The idea that desperate ADCs are turning to cheating because they don't have enough game impact on their own is lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is this the TFT thread too? I always thought TFT was kind of boring but this set is so much fun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hi - interested in playing a little of this super casually (one-tricking a hero in blind pick a few times a week). I like Jungle Vi the most so far - is there a reason she isn't more popular? She seems really fun and super easy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vermain posted:

It's mostly a consequence of her being highly ult dependent once you get to the level of play where people start regularly sidestepping her Q. Most junglers prefer to play champions that have a lot of tools and options for how to approach a situation, but Vi often needs her ult past a certain point to be able to secure a kill, something that limits how she can play.
Ok, that makes sense. Ty.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My account (that I havent used in three months) got compromised. They opened all my prime capsules, bought Vladimir in December, Kaisa+KDA Kaisa, Zed+Empyrean Zed, and Soraka+Dawnwalker Soraka in February, played one game of ranked and went 0/9 but won. Yes that password is obviously unusable now and I use a password manager now for everything. But seriously wtf why they did this over the course of months.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's a 20+ hour commitment even if you're very good at this set. Play something you like instead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The current meta is picking urf, always taking his augment, then tailoring and playing for (in order) demacia/shurima/ionia/noxus/slayer/vanquisher/sorceror.

Demacia you go 7 demacia 4 slayer with demacia mordekaiser.

Shurima you go 7 shurima emblem on jarvan or belveth.

Ionia you go 6 ionia vanquishers with emblem on either ashe or nilah.

Nous you go 7 noxus emblem on azir.

Slayer you go 7 demacia 4 slayer with emblem on fiora.

Vamquisher 6 ionia with emblem on karma.

Sorc you just play 8 sorcs.

The reason this is so strong is you have so many ways to hit a second emblem and these 6 through 9 traits are just stupid strong.

"Tailoring" refers to guaranteeing some of the augments you are offered, if you have 6/8/10/12 traits displayed on the left of your board (even greyed out) you're guaranteed to be offered 1/2/3/4 of the traits on your board when opening tome.

In the big esports final rounds 100% of players were picking urf and basically doing this every game. Over the course of all four days urf had a 95% pick rate and the was the only legend with avg placement better than 4.5. Also set 10 is available on PBE so might be worth just skipping this nonsense.

EDIT: also sorry for dropping this TFT essay in the LOL thread I should have bumped the TFT thread.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 8, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

lore question

having never played LoL or watched Arcane, does the show explain how Jinx becomes crazy or are the two just different Jinxes
Basically two different jinxes. OG jinx was just created that way and is a mash up of tank girl, harley quinn, and jhonen vasquez stuff in general. Arcane jinx has a detailed history and is a less fun kind of crazy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The pressure was absolutely on.
What game were players like yourself looking to move onto instead?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

LoR dev was particularly cursed. It was the first game riot tried to make after league, and launching Product Number Two is notoriously difficult. It was first made in partnership with another studio who at one point said "hey this game is great ship it!" and riot was like "nah not good enough"

so that partner left, the game got rebooted a couple times, but eventually got to a state that felt really good.

then hearthstone came out and the team said "well, poo poo." runeterra gameplay was still solid but blizzard being blizzard said what if we make a tcg that actually looks cool?

so tack on a couple more years or whatever to make it look better

it's too bad; i think the game is p loving great, but riot had several windows that they just missed.
You're telling me runeterra development was well under way BEFORE hearthstone came out?? Like they started in 2012?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

LoR's design issues are deeper than that. You can point to specific turns and board states that make Hearthstone fun. a.) turns where you do something complicated and crazy in a single turn and get massively ahead and b.) the turn you do the lethal math and 100% know you've won and your opponent has to watch you do it. In MTG there are often turns where you massively run away with the game and turns where you know you've completely wrecked your opponent with a control tool of some kind. LoR didnt really have fun turns where you've won the game because both players get so many opportunities to interfere with each other and unlike MTG you dont run out of cards like ever, like imagine trying to lethal a control player in MTG who always has seven non-land cards in hand thats how obnoxious it is to play LoR. There are a few fast spells like Back to Back where you can get massively ahead but even then you have to wait two long turns before you even get to use that advantage.

Fundamentally it was a bunch of sensible card game mechanics bundled together without an actual sense of how those mechanics were supposed to cohere into a reason to play the game. What Riot does better than anyone else imo is just regular balancing and massive amounts of expensive work to make small changes in league to keep it engaging and popular but I don't have much faith in them actually making a game people want to play without basically copying an already successful game like DotA 1/CS wholesale.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

When League came out, it was considered the approachable MOBA if you could believe that. DOTA, HON, and DOTA 2 were pretty rough to get into. Not to mention, free to play was also a new cool thing, too. I'm pretty sure LOL was one of the first to champion that

The other thing was a pretty massive hungry audience of Moba players looking for the big thing after playing user maps off of War craft 3.

Nowadays, neither of those is true. Learning and actually enjoying League will take someone at least 100 hours while you could just download Fornite or something and have fun out the gate.

Riot’s lucky they got Valorant and TFT because while I don't think League will completely die its not gonna be the biggest game in the world anytime soon.
Younger generations do play league. Fortnite is at like 225 million monthlies and league is at 150 million monthlies, it picked up a ton of players 2020 onwards. Maybe it doesnt attract literal 8 year old children like fortnite does but it gets new players. > half of league players are under 24. By comparison Valorant is at like 20 million monthlies.

League's continued success is a super interesting topic in general. I think you see people quit, try other games, then come back because team based PvP games kind of reduce to similar patterns in a lot of ways so why not just play league.