Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do any of you vocal perples have any experience with vocal harmonizer pedals?

I'm looking for one, trying to figure out what I want, and what I don't want. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Is there any advice specific for people who start at absolute rock bottom? My voice is weak (I speak quietly), shaky and unable to hold a tone. :( The only thing I have going for me is a good sense of rhythm. I'd like to go from really bad to average. Do I start with scales? ee ee EE?

If it matters, I'd like to learn to sing traditional music like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbJhSbzDByU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Doctor Malaver posted:

Is there any advice specific for people who start at absolute rock bottom? My voice is weak (I speak quietly), shaky and unable to hold a tone. :( The only thing I have going for me is a good sense of rhythm. I'd like to go from really bad to average. Do I start with scales? ee ee EE?

my advice for anyone who's starting at the beginning is to do either speech level singing or singing success in conjunction with a teacher who knows what they're doing.

but therein lies the problem, it's really hard to know what to look for in a teacher when you're inexperienced. so really, my advice is do one of those two courses while you look for a good teacher, preferably one who k ow something about the style you want to sing in.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I've been wanting to learn to sing for a while and I went and found a tutor when I noticed there were some on the same site i was using to find a piano tutor. She asked what I wanted to sing and I told her i'd love to be able to falsetto like matt bellamy and that I consider myself unable to sing at the moment and relatively tone deaf. Her first response was that we should start with speech level singing so that seems like a good sign :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

Try humming. Try to keep your teeth apart and see if you can make your lips tickle a bit with the sound. Then try starting with a hum and opening your lips without changing how you're producing the sound. Might help with the shakiness. Cool song :)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

My job has me on the road by myself for 8 hours a day and I was wondering if there are any good resources I can put on my playlist while drive around. I already do quite a bit of singing but it’s all self learned but I’d like my voice to be a bit more consistent. Controlling my breath and strengthening my sound are the two areas I think need the most work.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

clone on the phone posted:

My job has me on the road by myself for 8 hours a day and I was wondering if there are any good resources I can put on my playlist while drive around. I already do quite a bit of singing but it’s all self learned but I’d like my voice to be a bit more consistent. Controlling my breath and strengthening my sound are the two areas I think need the most work.

I'm kind of a broken record at this point, but I recommend either speech level singing or singing success

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Great thanks I will give them a google.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Monday I had my first voice lesson in forever, and wowza was it amazing. They opened up a whole section of my upper range in literally minutes. I brought in this choral piece I like because I figured it'd be a good place to start.

I'm only taking one lesson every other week since it's kinda expensive and it's not even my secondary instrument, but I'm seriously considering bumping it up to weekly.

Y'all. I know everyone says it, but just Get A Fukkin Teacher. No excuses. I've spent years messing around and never really gotten anywhere, and in 30 minutes with a teacher I can now do so much more than I figured out on my own.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Well poo poo, time to find a teacher then. You sold me.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
Is it worth it to get a teacher if you only sing as a hobby but you want to improve? Or can I get to a kinda decent singing voice just by training alone?
I'm really bad at singing and I would like to at least sing decently so I don't feel too bad just by listening to myself.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

JoaoVitorBF posted:

Is it worth it to get a teacher if you only sing as a hobby but you want to improve? Or can I get to a kinda decent singing voice just by training alone?
I'm really bad at singing and I would like to at least sing decently so I don't feel too bad just by listening to myself.

it's worth it to get a teacher, but with the caveat that a bad teacher isn't going to help you much

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

JoaoVitorBF posted:

I'm in the same position as you, the teacher really helped me understand how singing actually works mechanically and being mindful of the various parts of my body that are helping, also learning how to do warm-ups properly and having someone there to tell me when im on the voice and off it etc. It's worth it for the lesson each week just to have her force me to do 30 minutes of warmups, I feel like that alone is a major source of my weekly improvement.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yousician now has a voice module, anyone try it? Is it useful?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Do you have any advice for regularly practicing? I was doing great for a few weeks, but I've kinda fallen off the train after being sick for a week straight, and now I'm drumming in a musical running through September and that's eating a lot of my time. I've been hopping on their vocal warmups, but that's obviously not the stuff I'm working on in my lessons.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've been trying to work on my upper register so I thought Id try a song thats sort of at the upper end of my range (although the weeknd claims he's a baritone which I call BS on)

https://soundcloud.com/batteries/secretsthe-weeknd

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 2, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've been working on mixed voice which is something thats always been baffling to me since a lot of singing teachers talk about it but in varying confusing ways. From trying to sort it through my layman perception I have is this:

When in chest voice (or speaking voice) your vocal chords are fully connected and your voice resonates in your upper chest, as anyone who knows a little bit about acoustics knows, bigger resonating chamber = more bass.

When in head voice your vocal chords are NOT fully connected and your voice is resonating in your head.

Its possible for your pitch to raise higher than you think while still being connected, however the problem is that at a certain pitch, the fundamental frequency of the note is now high enough that your chest is no longer functioning as an effective resonator for the frequencies involved. This is very disconcerting since we are used to our chest resonation being 'our voice' and no resonation means a weak lovely sound. So when we hit this we reflexively tend to do one of two things:

1) hold onto your chest resonation and just push harder

2) let the vocal chords disconnect, flip up into head voice and use the resonators there.

The solution is to do neither, its to stay connected as with chest voice but borrow resonators from the head for the note rather than using the chest. Mainly the pharyngeal resonators, the ones behind your noise. (you can feel them if you do a bugs bunny impersonation, or a bratty kid voice, making your head ring). These can only really effectively be maintained with certain vowel sounds and placement though, lest you pull from your chest too much and blow it, so you need to learn how to pronounce and support words without blurting energy too far out on certain syllables.

Its not really a 'third voice' or a blending of the two, its an area that when developed properly can give a resonation that can be accessed both to make headvoice/falsetto more solid OR chest voice thin enough to get more range from it. Or simply wallpaper over the crack between the two. But to access it properly you have to really try get the most out of both first.

(Knowing this I take back what I said in the post above about the weeknd not potentially being a baritone.. This is the area of the body that brightens tone and his voice has a solid mix of baritone darkness with a very focused brightness)

I was practicing on 'man in the box' earlier:

https://my.mixtape.moe/xkiixd.m4a

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 8, 2018

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

massive spider posted:

I've been working on mixed voice which is something thats always been baffling to me since a lot of singing teachers talk about it but in varying confusing ways. From trying to sort it through my layman perception I have is this:

When in chest voice (or speaking voice) your vocal chords are fully connected and your voice resonates in your upper chest, as anyone who knows a little bit about acoustics knows, bigger resonating chamber = more bass.

When in head voice your vocal chords are NOT fully connected and your voice is resonating in your head.

Its possible for your pitch to raise higher than you think while still being connected, however the problem is that at a certain pitch, the fundamental frequency of the note is now high enough that your chest is no longer functioning as an effective resonator for the frequencies involved. This is very disconcerting since we are used to our chest resonation being 'our voice' and no resonation means a weak lovely sound. So when we hit this we reflexively tend to do one of two things:

1) hold onto your chest resonation and just push harder

2) let the vocal chords disconnect, flip up into head voice and use the resonators there.

The solution is to do neither, its to stay connected as with chest voice but borrow resonators from the head for the note rather than using the chest. Mainly the pharyngeal resonators, the ones behind your noise. (you can feel them if you do a bugs bunny impersonation, or a bratty kid voice, making your head ring). These can only really effectively be maintained with certain vowel sounds and placement though, lest you pull from your chest too much and blow it, so you need to learn how to pronounce and support words without blurting energy too far out on certain syllables.

Its not really a 'third voice' or a blending of the two, its an area that when developed properly can give a resonation that can be accessed both to make headvoice/falsetto more solid OR chest voice thin enough to get more range from it. Or simply wallpaper over the crack between the two. But to access it properly you have to really try get the most out of both first.

(Knowing this I take back what I said in the post above about the weeknd not potentially being a baritone.. This is the area of the body that brightens tone and his voice has a solid mix of baritone darkness with a very focused brightness)

I was practicing on 'man in the box' earlier:

https://my.mixtape.moe/xkiixd.m4a

While what you've written is biologically accurate, the feeling of singing in mixed voice is not really like this. Everyone's feelings differ when they sing, but for me, singing in mixed voice feels like singing in falsetto but with the cords connected. So if you understand the feeling of having the cords together when you're singing, then you simply do that under the falsetto. It's useful to remember that the pitch is changed in the larynx and nowhere else and that is where you should always feel the pitch occurring. Once you get the feeling of closing the cords and you understand that in the middle voice and the upper voice you are simply using more of the falsetto feeling of singing it becomes very easy to bring the connected voice into the top of your range. Although of course it does not make it necessarily sound great, that is the work of practice and lessons Etc

Sorry that was kind of a crazy wall of text.

While I think that understanding the different resonance strategies at play is useful, what I was trying to get across there is that if you are not doing the right things at the level of the larynx then none of that is going to matter. The cords have to physically close (or adduct, or compress, to use some synonymous terms other coaches use) for you to get full voice in the middle and top, and if that's not occurring efficiently, then no matter of appropriate resonance is going to fix it.

There are a bunch of videos on youtube that address these issues, I'll see if I can find something that might be useful for you.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 8, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

While what you've written is biologically accurate, the feeling of singing in mixed voice is not really like this. Everyone's feelings differ when they sing, but for me, singing in mixed voice feels like singing in falsetto but with the cords connected. So if you understand the feeling of having the cords together when you're singing, then you simply do that under the falsetto. It's useful to remember that the pitch is changed in the larynx and nowhere else and that is where you should always feel the pitch occurring. Once you get the feeling of closing the cords and you understand that in the middle voice and the upper voice you are simply using more of the falsetto feeling of singing it becomes very easy to bring the connected voice into the top of your range. Although of course it does not make it necessarily sound great, that is the work of practice and lessons Etc

Im not sure if what your talking about is something physically different or if we're just feeling the same thing in different ways though. I mean you say mixed voice feels like singing in falsetto, but I feel like my falsetto has in the past always been weak and flimsy and not felt like much of anything at all- until i read about pharyngeal resonators, started bringing the resonance forward* a bit and that opened up new possibilities in both 'voices'. It seems we agree on the basic principle that mixed voice is 'singing with the cords kept closed but more in your head'.

* I say 'forward' but I was practicing on EE sounds today on the recommendation of some tutorials that the pinched EE vowel is a good sound to work on maintaining cord closure with, so its more like out to the sides even.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 8, 2018

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

massive spider posted:

Im not sure if what your talking about is something physically different or if we're just feeling the same thing in different ways though. I mean you say mixed voice feels like singing in falsetto, but I feel like my falsetto has in the past always been weak and flimsy and not felt like much of anything at all- until i read about pharyngeal resonators, started bringing the resonance forward* a bit and that opened up new possibilities in both 'voices'. It seems we agree on the basic principle that mixed voice is 'singing with the cords kept closed but more in your head'.

* I say 'forward' but I was practicing on EE sounds today on the recommendation of some tutorials that the pinched EE vowel is a good sound to work on maintaining cord closure with, so its more like out to the sides even.

I would also say, from listening to your clip, it doesn't sound like you have any issues with closure. It just sounds to me like the very top could be easier, but it could also be stylistic.

e: I guess a better description of how it feels for me is "as close to falsetto without being falsetto as possible" as opposed to "falsetto with closed cords"

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 8, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing I've realised recently with my voice is that I've probably overdeveloped my chest voice to the point where I can yell pretty loud and long due to decent diaphragm support, but that overeager diaphragm is probably making things harder than they need to be. If the sound is more focused and better placed with resonance I dont need to work nearly as hard.

I was playing with 'man in the box' because I saw this video of AIC with their newer singer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM4mVGJkp6A

Whose making those notes look pretty easy, and I feel like a lot of that has to do with how you can hear the sound shooting up into his nasal area in the high notes. By working on that thin resonance-bratty nasal sound I was able to get up there for the first time.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 8, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I discovered something interesting this week: to get a darker, more low resonant sound I have to place the feeling *higher* in the chest than I’m used to. This feels paradoxical since I always assumed low in the body = low sound, but the vocal tract, right below the throat is the chamber that actually produces the sound, the lungs, despite what the term “chest voice” may imply, are just big sponges.

Lowering the perception of the sound deeper in my lungs (while being good for developing breath support) was actually having the opposite of my desired effect, raising the peaks of my tone and resulting in a more pinched singing tone than my actual speaking voice.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 26, 2018

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I like to sing in harmony with my girlfriend, I'm not a very good singer but she is. I always end up stealing her voice and doing a unison. Any tips / exercises I could do to help?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Colonel J posted:

I like to sing in harmony with my girlfriend, I'm not a very good singer but she is. I always end up stealing her voice and doing a unison. Any tips / exercises I could do to help?

Haha this sounds like me. My wife is a great singer, and I am....not completely terrible? If I'm singing a song, she will harmonize with me and after a few seconds, I will slowly start to sing the harmony with her instead of keeping the melody going. Honestly, I've gotten a little better at it just by practicing with her. I feel like I am much more able to concentrate on the melody whereas before I would hear the harmony and my brain would want to sing along with it. Try practicing on your own too, I will sometimes try to harmonize with a song while I am driving to work. I'm really bad but it has helped me keep the harmony/melody separate in my head.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Colonel J posted:

Cover an ear when practising together

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stan Rogers ismy favorite singer ever, but he also seems harder to sing along with than almost anyone else Why is that?

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
A friend from the local music scene turned out to be an excellent vocal coach, teaching me to the point where I'm impressing people at karaoke and working on getting gigs for my own music project. I looked into a men's choir but it turned out to be uncannily like that one ep of King of the Hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsV4CBOGidg
A bunch of dipshits in pastel button ups all singing for the approval of hillbilly grandmas and over 60 suburbanite tools. I refuse to sing boomer music, so most choirs are emphatically not an option. No one needs to hear an all vocal version of any Beatles song ever. Why do covers of overplayed garbage? We've all heard enough of Queen or the Beatles or whatever oldies station trash. They were fine songs in their time, now they are intolerable grandma music. gently caress FM radio in hell forever. gently caress gospel music. I'm trying to find a group of people that would rather sing Bela Lugosi's Dead or any Tom Waits song or many other songs/artists that aren't typical soft old fart material. There's a massive world of fresh music lovely old baby boomer choir directors will never acknowledge.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Millions of Crows posted:

or any Tom Waits song

enjoying the mental image of an entire men's choir screaming into pillows to perfect their growl

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Chunderbucket posted:

enjoying the mental image of an entire men's choir screaming into pillows to perfect their growl

Death/Black metal choir right there. It's 2020 we should have weirder poo poo by now.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Millions of Crows posted:

Death/Black metal choir right there. It's 2020 we should have weirder poo poo by now.

I have a friend who sings in this choir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-PoQU0g6Do

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Hey gang! I've recently become unemployed and with my free time I've just been singing some of my favorite tunes on YouTube.

It's mostly just for fun but I really enjoy putting something out there.

For me vocal confidence first comes with familiarity. Pick something you know all the words to and start there.

I used to be very shy when it came to singing as I was a choral performer and was taught to sing with everyone else to sound like one voice.

I have made a playlist of all my songs so far.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMPq5PkQzH7MANZV3O2YAgenIUJ9ztSYF

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I'm a complete layman when it comes to singing, but I was just curious:

How many octaves are there between "baby" and "me" when the boys sing "baby won't you carry me" in this version of Tennessee Jed by The Grateful Dead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5KEQ-sC6vg&t=412s

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Has anybody looked into this class? https://learnmonthly.com/stevie-mackey-singing

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

guitar discord is quickly becoming the musician’s lounge lifeboat, join up and ask for a vocal channel maybe? half of you are prolly already there but: https://discord.gg/5jCk5p

also question: how do you sing not along to a recording? it feels so...untethered

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jazz Marimba posted:

guitar discord is quickly becoming the musician’s lounge lifeboat, join up and ask for a vocal channel maybe? half of you are prolly already there but: https://discord.gg/5jCk5p

also question: how do you sing not along to a recording? it feels so...untethered

Agreeing with this. Come by and populate our vocal channel!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jazz Marimba posted:

I usually use piano or something but yes, if you're used to playing an instrument it feels so odd, like it's unreliable or fluttery. Doesn't help that it's common for singers to slowly fall out of tune as they sing. idk it's just something to get used to. I think developing good breath support helps with the weird feeling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It says invite link invalid when I click on that Discord link.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Siivola posted:

This one should be permanent

https://discord.gg/cMaU3u8

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
any recommendations on free lessons via youtube or whatever? i'd like to get some basics down and learn some exercises that won't kill me. i'm too poor to get an instructor right now and well, pandemic and all that