Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJaUfpbEYIU
ONLY AVAILABLE ON HULU

From Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (Preacher, This is the End and the upcoming adaptation of The Boys) comes Future Man. The basic premise is The Last Starfighter meets Terminator and the show is pretty quick to point this out but it has a lot of fun playing with the ideas instead of just referencing to reference.

Starring:

Josh Hutcherson as Josh Futturman

Eliza Coupe as Tiger

Derek Wilson as Wolf

Ed Begley Jr. as Gabe Futturman

Glenne Headly as Diane Futturman

Haley Joel Osment as Doctor Stu Camillo

Britt Lower as Jeri Lang

Keith David as Doctor Elias Kronish

The entire first season has been available for about a week now but there wasn't a thread for it so I decided to just throw one up so people can have a place to discuss this funny, funny show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah this should have had a thread a week ago, couch chat is basically all Future Man, for good reason.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
omnomnom this is the best cock i've eaten!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Haha "Cameronium"

"Maybe sending a video game back in time to find humanity's savior was like, a bad plan..."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Corey Wolfhart is the best :colbert:

I also love them sticking with gags like rathole and plump cats as their best food in the future.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Isn't there a middle step there?

No, scorp in the snatch.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not the older versions of the characters overdubbed the voices for their 'past' selves. If not, the guy playing the younger version of Kronish sounds pretty dead-on like Keith David.

And like I said in the couchchat thread, I want to see a rundown of every reference/sendup/'wink' to things. I was sure Wolf in the sleeveless waiter top/bow tie was a riff on that Swayze Chippendales SNL bit.

So many reviews for this show were pretty 'meh' saying things like there weren't enough 'big' jokes per episode and that with all the sexual assault allegations flying around 'now is not the time' for a show like this, but gently caress that. This show cracks me up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The James Cameron episode rules.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Definitely tied with the Wolf restaurant episode as my favorite.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest joke from an already hilarious episode 7 was definitely using Papyrus font for Wolf speaking Na'vi.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The funniest joke from an already hilarious episode 7 was definitely using Papyrus font for Wolf speaking Na'vi.

https://youtu.be/jVhlJNJopOQ

Also the thumbs-up sinking “dying” animation

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was never about the cock, just the warriors mane..

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Watched the first episode tonight. I went from this is way too cheesy to this is the funniest thing on TV in 15 minutes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so it turns out The Resistance was born out of the anti-vaxxer movement?

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I stumbled on a few days ago, and sometimes watching, the husband and I were laughing so hard we have to pause it cause we can't even hear what they're saying next over our laughing (we're old and half deaf =p). I don't get how everyone isn't talking about this show yet, it is by far one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

We're about halfway through the first season so far. Corey Wolfhart is the best, hahaha. He just gets funnier by the episode.

I admit a lot of the hilarity for me stems from being Gen X and a lot of the references are based around that, but I'm so OK with that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not the older versions of the characters overdubbed the voices for their 'past' selves. If not, the guy playing the younger version of Kronish sounds pretty dead-on like Keith David.

And like I said in the couchchat thread, I want to see a rundown of every reference/sendup/'wink' to things. I was sure Wolf in the sleeveless waiter top/bow tie was a riff on that Swayze Chippendales SNL bit.

So many reviews for this show were pretty 'meh' saying things like there weren't enough 'big' jokes per episode and that with all the sexual assault allegations flying around 'now is not the time' for a show like this, but gently caress that. This show cracks me up.

Young Futterman Dad was freaky how much on point he was. What an amazing episode, comedically and just how much they got away with. Really pushed Back to the Future a notch.

The main lead is a good replacement for Michael J. Fox.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, Derek Wilson was the MVP obviously but I was surprised at Hutcherson's chops. He was great in that screwball comedy episode.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was pleasantly surprised by Josh Hutcherson too. Then again, the only other thing I've seen him in was 'the embodiment of bland' in bits of those Hunger Games movies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah, Derek Wilson was the MVP
Unquestionably the woman who plays Tiger.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think this thread really needs spoiler tags, but could people just say what episode they're referencing, so I can skip over the post it if I haven't seen it yet?

Edit: on second thought, it doesn't really matter. I'm just bored at work and wanted to post.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I just binged this over the weekend thanks to the chat thread. Super enjoyable, immature, but also really hit the sweet spot of comedy, 80s pastiche, and time travel.

I really loved how they actually stuck with the ramifications of things that happened during time travel adventures.

FactsAreUseless posted:

the woman who plays Tiger.

Shageletic posted:

Young Futterman Dad was freaky how much on point he was.

This guy blew me away. <3 young EBJ

Screw waiting in line for the BlackApple phone, I want a Sigorn-E for Christmas.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unquestionably the woman who plays Tiger.

Eliza Coupe has been incredible ever since Happy Endings.

Even from Episode 1, "You're all loving dead! Everyone here is dead! You, your children, dead!" That whole rant.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Her arc ended so loving well

("what is that squishy thing" on)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Even from Episode 1, "You're all loving dead! Everyone here is dead! You, your children, dead!" That whole rant.

I loved that.

I like all the characters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I've never seen her before, but I'll look for more of her stuff.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never seen her before, but I'll look for more of her stuff.

You NEED to check out Happy Endings. She is so good in it. It's also an amazing show.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm enjoying the constant Back to the Future stings anytime knowledge comes from time travel information.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This show is aces.

"You're covered in brains!"
"Eat a dick!"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Yeah I don't know why this show hasn't taken off. It's hilarious.

'Like, "I don't remember buying this", but then I realize it's my dad's fleshlight.'

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Haley Joel Osment is practically unrecognizable under that beard.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Party Plane Jones posted:

Haley Joel Osment is practically unrecognizable under that beard.

Had no idea who he was until like episode 5, i saw him in Silicon Valley last season right?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:pirate: "Give me my dick back, you loving cock pirate!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah I don't know why this show hasn't taken off. It's hilarious.
It looks terrible. I gave it a try because I'd heard good things on SA, but I was expecting some awful nostalgia cash-in bullshit.

Also the first episode isn't great. I wasn't sold until episode 2.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Rocksicles posted:

It was never about the cock, just the warriors mane..
Probably my favorite quote from anything in 2017.

This show was a real delight in the truest form. It came from loving nowhere and I watched it all in two days. I'm know I'm going to watch it all over again too.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013

suddenlyissoon posted:

This show was a real delight in the truest form. It came from loving nowhere and I watched it all in two days. I'm know I'm going to watch it all over again too.

:same:

Thank you OP for making this thread. I would have completely overlooked this show otherwise.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

It looks terrible. I gave it a try because I'd heard good things on SA, but I was expecting some awful nostalgia cash-in bullshit.

Also the first episode isn't great. I wasn't sold until episode 2.

Yea, the pilot might have been the weakest episode. Not to say that it's terrible, just that the others are much better. Thankfully episode 2 knocks it out of the park.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well it has to set itself up, reference the fact that it's a ripoff of another premise, THEN sell you on the insanely over the top personalities of Tiger and Wolf. They're cliche to the point of parody and I can see that putting people off if they don't realize that's the POINT.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Mark me down as another who only gave this a shot because I saw people posting about it.

I think what I appreciated most about this show was that it nailed both the moment to moment humor and the high-concept time travel stuff, and kept connecting back and forth between them. Lots of great character detail, all around. The cop's whole arc is amazing, and I was always delighted when he showed up. I just finished it, so I want to give it a minute to settle in my brain, but I look forward to watching it again and picking up more details and jokes that I suspect will stand out on a second watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought killing the cop was a little heavy for this show at first, it's sort of redeemable. But then it becomes the super cliche exaggerated cop's entire motivation for existing, constantly referencing HIS...DEAD..PARTNER. and it loops around into being hilarious again.

• Locked thread