Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Am I crazy or is there no way to browse the map that's not the skip travel menu? It's not terribly inconvenient but sometimes you can't see a part of the map because you don't have a landmark there (or there just are no landmarks there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Just walking through an area should give you a discovery to open up the map area. If not, you haven't been over there before. And yes, skip travel is the only way to view the map.

I'm specifically thinking of the top level of the trade guild. I can't view it on the map despite clearly being able to jump over there to check out the air flow (which i can't use yet. which is why i'd like to be able to check it on the map without going over there)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I hope I'll get used to it over the course of the game, but currently I find it literally impossible to pay attention to all the factors of battle at once. I was fighting a unique monster earlier (sniping something? a bird at the left side of Gormott) who kept getting reinforcements randomly and it was infuriating me. Then after I finally won I realized that it probably has an art that calls for allies but I kept missing it because, as said, I absolutely can't catch all of the information available. If I'm focused on efficient combos I keep forgetting about managing health and vice versa.

Not like the game requires any mastery of this level yet at all, but the feeling I get that I'm just randomly flailing around during battle most of the time is annoying.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cathead posted:

If you have a dark element blade you can Seal Reinforcements with dark/dark/dark, water/water/dark, or ice/ice/dark blade combos.

That was... not really my problem at all, but useful info anyway.

So, is there eventually going to be a way for me to find out what the ???s in the affinity chart are, or am I just supposed to like, wait for the condition to randomly happen and reveal itself that way?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have several paths to get to that combo-execution depending on how you want to play. The basic path is through Elemental Combos: Just three-step your way till there's an Orb or two spinning around the enemy (assuming they're not already dead) and then start a Chain Combo. Extend it by shattering the orbs and just rack up all the damage you can (preferrably Overkilling them for better loot). Alternatively, you can Driver Combo your way to meaty numbers by laying out a second-tier elemental effect on them and going through Break->Topple->Launch->Smash.

I mean, I know all this (these systems aren't very complex or hard to understand) but I can't wrap my head around every facet in the heat of battle. Often when a character dies it takes me several seconds to notice because I've been focused on mashing out my own moves. Or I don't collect HP potions in time because I forget they even exist, etc. Or, on the other end of the scale I spend ages without switching a blade and just mindlessly use arts to not much effect because for once I'm paying attention to these other important things.

Some of this is understandable. The game hasn't even gotten through introducing all the mechanics yet (i can't even do chain attacks!). All I'm saying is I hope this is not a permanent state for me, because I know I've had problems with games where you need to keep a lot on your mind/absorb a lot of information quickly in the past.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

By the way, is Pyra looking an awful lot like a Monado ever referenced or go anywhere? Or is this just what important swords look like in the Xenoblade series

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Agree on that loot problem. They even solved this in XC1 only to un-solve it here! There, all drops would appear in inexplicable chests which wouldn't disappear and couldn't fall off the precarious geometry. I think a good compromise would be if anything that's really valuable would still do that but the trash and money would scatter around like it does.

It doesn't even matter what the thing you happen to lose is, it just feels really bad regardless.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Who was the idiot who decided not to program in a "standing in poison is bad" clause into the AI

Fighting near hazards is torture

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Night Blade posted:

This game could have used a lot of things. Cripes, I never thought I'd miss Xenoblade 1 as much as this game is making me miss it.

Really? Because I don't miss the godforsaken area affinity system, or the 10x too many sidequests, or the skill trees being locked behind said sidequests which are locked behind the affinity system, or the awful gem crafting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How actually do you trigger the Leg Blast skill? I have to use it 5 times to finish off this 2 star but as much as I use her she's never ticked up a single use.

It's the one that says Absorb 60% of critical damage dealt as HP. Is it just Critting off her attacks?

Leg Blast is her Nth special. Probably number 2 if I remember right. You have to use level 2 specials with that blade equipped.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Now that I beat Chapter 3 and finally can equip 3 blades, Tora's looking a bit left out with just Poppi. When does anything change there? Or, actually, will he ever be able to have multiple blades or is it just one customizable one forever? If so that's a bit lame since it eliminates blade switching in battle entirely which is a cool mechanic.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think there was a bit of confusion regarding if the ideas actually do anything besides affecting elements? Well, I was going through the informants out of curiosity and the one in Goldmouth has a bit that says "as a driver's ideas grow, so does their chance of awakening stronger blades"

So it definitely affects your chances of rolling high as well. Possibly only for stronger generic blades, but that's still not nothing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I'm in Mor Ardain now and can buy gold cylinders, which I hear is the way to making mad bank. How's that work exactly? Just salvage and trade in your findings, and that'll more than cover the cost of the cylinders?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone managed to get a full burst without Rex's chapter 8 super protagonist power up? It seems like you have to break a bunch of orbs in a single round. Maybe if you used that augment chip that lets you one shot orbs... Anyway, breaking one orb the first round and three in the second is enough to trigger it.

Doesn't the full burst bar keep its progress within a battle? So if the battle was infinitely long you could pull them off no problem. All battles I've had so far have ended way before I've gotten close to filling it though. I'm expecting to only be able to do it when fighting some of the harder unique monsters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In the process of spamming commons on Nia to try to get a single drat wind mastery on her so I can clear some of these skill checks I've gotten three rares, one of which was even wind (Finch) but of course she doesn't have wind mastery. I fear that I have now spent all of pull luck for the rest of the game. And yet I still don't have that drat wind mastery!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

A couple do, but they're all on rex so I can have at maximum 2 wind mastery (until Roc gets more, and that is going to be a while), and a load of things need 3. Well, among all this money farming I managed to nab one on Nia so problem solved, finally.

Now I have a new problem: what on earth is Sheba and how do I get her out of her bathtub, it's awfully big and distracting (this isn't actually a problem, what a silly and fun design)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

I got Finch on Nia and boy she rrrrrrrrrrrrreally rrrrrrrrrrrrrrolls her rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs on rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrolling smash.

This happens with every skill with an r in it (knuckles and cannon have good ones) and it's amazing

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have an easy answer for you: all the menus in this game are bad and were clearly the lowest priority feature during development.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow real cool of the game to perform a surprise skill check that I obviously failed and can't repeat and instead have to fight an enemy that is above my level now. This is for the Merc level 3 quest too so i'd realllly like to do it now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I just did the fight anyway and now I feel really good about myself. I finally figured out he was doing some sort of counter moves so the secret to winning was actually to hang wayy back with Nia and take potshots with her ether cannon so none of the AoEs ever hit and I could heal whenever needed. Also I got a bit lucky in that he never busted out his "this will almost assuredly kill you in one hit at this level" move on me.

E: Whoops there's a third one and this one I am absolutely not doing with a ten level deficit. Aw come on, why does it have to be this hard to unlock more merc levels? Poor Roc is stuck at 2 affinity too. I could go level myself at the inn but I don't want to overlevel the story.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 14, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

goddamn, I can't get Four to hold aggro for poo poo. I even removed damage buffs on Rex and Nia to reduce aggro and it's still not enough. Uh, welcome back to the party Tora

e: I'm 50 hours in and only on chapter 5. Holy poo poo this game is massive

lmao I have 55 hours and I'm smack in the middle of chapter 4, you ain't seen nothing

Turns out, spending a whole bunch of time farming money and development levels takes a whole bunch of time. Who knew

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Weakness.

My excitement over finally getting a new party member quickly subsided when I realized my lizard brain is going to make me spend the next x hours of gameplay, where x is a number most certainly larger than three, on optimizing every single aspect of their setup, grinding up blades, probably grinding money while I'm at it, all of this. And I'm totally going to enjoy it too, but the story has finally gained some momentum and i just slammed the emergency brakes on the pacing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What's with everyone bitching about the abandoned factory? You do realize that none of the enemies there aggro you and there's no reason to attack anything beyond the couple officers guarding keys (who do attack you)?

Or maybe they didn't aggro me only because I had about a 4-level advantage? In which case that should be really easy to get because I used no inn experience for that. Go cash it in if you're really having problems.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

The factory enemies are extremely aggro lol

Even if you’re two floors above them

And they love to run away and aggro everyone else nearby

I guess i found the magic solution. Outlevel them by four or more and they don't bother! Simple

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I got Morag to over 300 agility immediately after getting her with a very conveniently timed core chip and assassin's boots, and now literally nothing can touch her. It's very satisfying. Oh, and I pulled an agi tank rare with her too (fiery samurai guy). I can't believe how well that went. She's now going to be the unquestionable MVP for probably the next two chapters.

nerdz posted:

So yeah, if you get a chain attack with 4 orbs, nothing in the game can survive.

I just got one with 4 orbs and only filled full burst to four fifths with it, so there has to be some variability going on with it. Not that the enemy didn't die anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I get that, I mean does it matter which blade I use on them. Like is a shield hammer only good on a face tank?

The only things separating characters in this game are default blades (which can't be ever disengaged obviously), affinity boards, movesets, and stats. Morag has higher agi than Tora by default so she's better suited for the agi tank blades (you can tell which one a blade is by what their mod stat is) and her default blade raises agility further so it's better to stack on the bonus.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me to ask - does each character have different Arts for each weapon? I kinda assumed they were all the same.

Yes. Non-healers tend to not have straight healing arts, for example. And who has launch/topple/smash etc on which weapon differs wildly

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Optimizing setups is half the game for me in any RPG so I found those out asap

Although I still don't exactly know what HP barriers are or how they work. Combat is too fast for me to notice when effects go off most of the time. Is it just a mechanic that's tied to the aux cores that trigger HP barriers at max affinity? Is that what all those hp barrier bonus pouch items affect? And when you get over how does it work? Does it negate hits entirely, or only transfer the damage numbers over? So many questions.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, I almost can't believe what an extremely cool position Myrmidon Eugene is in. Tight walkway over death drop, blowdown moves, impossible to read counterattacks that cause said blowdown, and to top it off if you try to lure him to safer ground a level 80 bird has been very carefully placed there and will spot you. These are totally the combat mechanics I want to be tested on, Xenoblade. Good job.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was just about to say, seems like the least hassle would be to counter blowoff him off the edge and then he walked off himself in pursuit of a very dead Rex. Great encounter design all around here.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This comes back to something I asked before; are the yellow (middle) affinity chart circles always active at max affinity, or are they just occasionally randomly applied to you by your blade? Same question goes for the ones with the sword symbol I guess, though I'm pretty sure those are selectively applied.

The red ones enhance the corresponding special only (like Dromarchs level 2 says "heal X% HP on hit" and that would be nuts if constantly active). The yellow ones are passive effects that are constantly active. Blade Arts are the ones that are randomly applied and those don't appear on the affinity chart at all

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The downside is nothing (as far as i can tell). It's just there to make your life easier.

IcePhoenix posted:

Speaking of Poppi, can someone explain to me how her upgrade slots work? Like do they only affect one special/art each? Is it dependent on something else?
Special enchancers obviously only enchance the special in question (1, 2 or 3 is listed on the slot). Arts cards are blade arts, and trigger like those do. Skill ram is always active like the yellow slots on affinity boards. It works exactly like affinity in general and you can tell what's comparable to what by which effects are sorted into which categories.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's quickly and deservedly become a meme but god drat I still can't believe how bad the ardanian soldiers' battle cries are. Very loud, very obnoxious, very very repetitive. When you turn it down a bit the regular battle chatter becomes very ignorable if you want to buy not this, not ever.

Don't forget the mor ardanian grunt.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

Four's basic problem is that they need to itemize exclusively for evasion to achieve the same survivability Poppi gets pretty much for free, which means they can't do much damage, which means they can't hold aggro worth a poo poo in the AI's hands, which means why bother making them a tank to begin with? They're really good for dealing with specific bullshit tankbusters in the player's hands, but that means giving up on Rex/Tora's goku-level-dps.

All the characters are bad (or tremendously worse than when controlled anyway) with AI.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You get so many common cores and boosters there's absolutely no reason not to use a few whenever you get full up on boosters. This way you'll also fill out the roster for random skill checks and such.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

poe meater posted:

Why is Tora so big lol

To make him easier to see during battles, and take up approximately the same amount of space as the other characters, I assume.

Also do they don't have to keep swinging the camera really low in cutscenes to get him in frame

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If a party member executing some strategy is absolutely essential you could always control them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow the latter part of chapter 5 / beginning of chapter 6 is a snooze. I play this game for exploring wonderful environments (mostly. Battles are fun too) and there's exactly none of that and a whole lot of wandering around the same ridiculously large town and listening to plot. The one gameplay sequence was a straight corridor into a boss fight, and to top it off I'm way overleveled so the boss went by in a flash. Can't wait to actually get to Tantal and also hopefully run into enemies of my level again.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The dub has serious voice direction issues. Nothing wrong with the actors, but there's so many lines with super weird cadence, or with the completely wrong tone, or with emphasis in not exactly the right place, etc. I'ts not enough to make me switch dubs but it's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Taear posted:

Or Theory/Praxis I guess but...they have adult women bodies with children's heads. Because of course they do.

This is called stylization (not that Praxis' literal water balloon boobs are a masterful design either). It looks off because they didn't bother changing the guest blade designs to fit in with the regular cast, but it's just a different art style where features are more exaggerated.