Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm very excited for this, the blades look really cool (mostly)

To get in the spirit of things, should I play XB1 3D, or XBX? I own both but never got far in either :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Sam Faust posted:

X has some mixed reception but I'm a big fan of it. If you don't mind reading through a big in game manual to figure out combat, you might like it. The 3D version of XB doesn't look too hot, but if that doesn't bother you go for it.

By big manual, do you mean the manual all wii u games come with or a set of in game tutorials?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Sam Faust posted:

The Wii U manual which you can actually access directly from the in game menu and is really big. The game will put you through some basic tutorials, but for a lot of the specific details you gotta read it yourself.

Got it, thanks!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Unlucky7 posted:

So Blades are gathered through a Gatcha? Granted, apparently Blade Crystals can be found or bought and we haven't heard anything about microtransactions for this, so I am presuming there won't be anything evil.

Hopefully the game is balanced around the Gatcha, and you won't be hosed if you were unlucky with which blades you got.

What? Do you mean an in-game gacha? Like you said, I've heard ZERO mention of anything approaching microtransactions, so I feel like you must be mistaken.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Eurogamer has a review up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-30-xenoblade-chronicles-2-review

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Played through the prologue, and I can't decide which voice track to use. I would go for the Japanese voice track, but Im sure to notice the name differences and I don't want to miss out on post-combat dialogue. But the English track has terrible lip syncing.

Also, there was a tutorial based about how timing an art at the same time as an auto-attack gives a bonus, but I didn't catch what the confirmation indication was, so I have no clue if I'm timing it right. Can anyone clue me in on this?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

abraxas posted:

It's like a blue circle around your character when you get it right. Kind of like a bubble expanding I guess? Kind of weird to explain. You'll know you got it if you finish the auto attack and then immediately do the art. Otherwise your dude will stop mid attack and do the art, then you didn't get it.

Thanks, I think I figured it out.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I cant tell if I should be waiting for the third strike to cancel into an art every time or if I should unload my arts as they are available. Unloading arts asap would mean my supers charge up faster, right? Is that worth the damage loss from constantly cancelling just the first horizontal slash of the auto-attack chain?

Also, when the hell should I move from rear to side? I feel like I lose damage no matter what I do.

There aren't any training dummies in the game, are there?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You get more of a charge when doing it on the third strike. You want to minimize moving because everytime you move you have to restart the string. For side and back attacks, only move after that third strike. The damage bonus from attacking from the proper directions makes up for the DPS loss.

Thank you, I appreciate both of these answers. I suppose even if I have to sit on fully charged arts for a little bit in order to guarantee third strike cancels, its likely made up for by the extra charge gain?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The update makes me want to try to get back in to xbc 2, but I remember getting frustrated because I want to approach the game's combat like an MMO's, but I'm unsure what the optimal way to cancel attacks to do high damage per second was. (Like, do I hold off on using arts in order to always cancel just the final auto-attack in the sequence? what if all my arts are getting filled, aren't I just wasting Art Juice?)

That, and I was unable to determine how costly moving is in combat in order to go for position-bonuses.

Can anyone help me out here with this info, pretty please? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Barudak posted:

If you have a full art, use it. On Rex, for sword blades mostly, its optimal to stutter step after his initial swing to make him do his that swing again since its faster than the rest of his combo. In terms of positioning dont bother worrying about any move that requires that until you have tank characters and aggro reducers on your DPS characters as enemies spin freely and the amount of damage and time youll lose getting back into position isnt worth it.

Rex will eventually become ridiculously boring as his optimal setup is tricking out one of his mandatory sword blades with critical chance boosting stuff so you can press the art button over and over and over again as it auto refills on a critical.

There is a skill that lets you cancel arts into arts, you should beeline that.

Thank you!