Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I hope the branding changes include making this the official F1 song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97jfl21c4Ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

gret posted:

If anybody wants to read a more in depth article about the design of the new logo:

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formula-1-unveils-new-identity-wieden-kennedy-london/

e:

delete this crap

Cool concept of what watching F1 through Robocop's HUD in 1990 would look like

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The one on the right is a better logo and a much better font

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Liberty are actually being really sensible and saying things like 'you can't expect everything to change overnight because we bought into a sport that has a lot of catching up to do, but we're putting in the investment to make that happen'. Remember Bernie literally had no marketing department for a multi billion dollar business.

Having a coherent brand identity does actually matter when you're trying to sell something to sponsors and new fans, and some of the stuff they've done is actually quite clever if you ignore the marketingese and design document bollocks.

Having a simple big block of a logo lets it sit beside all the different corporate sponsors' logos without distracting from them while still making everything seem up to date and unified. The old logo is cool but it's definitely getting on a bit in a sport that sells itself on being cutting edge. The new one is kinda boring but that's actually by design.

They've deliberately gone for a primary typeface that looks distinctive and modern and works across devices.
The secondary fonts will be mainly for posters and signage and the like and are good contemporary takes on retro styles, though I'm not personally a fan of the aesthetic of F1 Turbo.

Yes I'm taking my new red text seriously

Counterpoint: It's a poo poo logo. Just go to Twitter or Facebook and check out how it looks like a blurry red blotch at the small size next to their posts. The number 1 rule of logo design is make it distinct at any size.

Also maybe F1 under Bernie could have used extra salespeople but don't get silly, F1's branding was fine. He clearly employed designers, F1 has a pretty good website, it's not like Bernie was uploading updates with Dreamweaver. The TV graphics are also among the best in sports broadcasting.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wicka posted:

I’ve been seeing the new logo in my Twitter feed a lot today and I can confirm that it’s good.

Wicka likes the logo so I can confirm that it's bad

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

The Williams family are well-off but definitely not billionaires. Claire was always the better choice as the son wasn't really into it until he came back and took something up that he enjoyed doing.

Frank also went out of his way to not just hand the reins to Claire and had her working in the marketing/PR department for a while to see if she's up to the task and to prove to those around the team that she's actually a worthy successor and it wasn't just a very clear and dry case of nepotism for someone who may not even be capable of the task.

At some point when you're operating a racing team you have to realize that all the money that a driver brings in is not worth it when the on track performance is not there. You are losing far more in the long term by having a poo poo yet rich driver vs a good/great one in that car instead. See: Maldonado, Pastor. (who would be a massive step up from Stroll)

It's amazing. Trump has made George Bush look like a saint and now Stroll is making Maldonado look like one, too.

The billionaires thing was about the Stroll family, you GP2 brain.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

I wonder what her opinion on the new logo is?

Lady Di told me that Lewis is now the best FI driver in history. She also can't wait to see her Brexit dream come true. She thinks Theresa May is an amazing leader but that she should be tougher in the negotiations and not let the perfidious eurocrats boss her around so much

poty
Jun 21, 2008

He sure got "it", if by it you mean the slowest non-setup lap in this screen

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Schlesische posted:

Rinoe

Americans have magical new ways of saying a bunch of car manufacturers. With some, like Hyundai, they're probably more correct. With a bunch of other ones, they're probably not.

Gren-ohh

poty fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 28, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

tuo posted:

The thing is: when AUDI motorsport chief yelled "Timo, schieb in raus" (Timo (Scheider), push him off) into the mic, it was what most non-Mercedes fans felt watching the race. The way Mercedes drove to get Wehrlein to champion was disgusting (in this scene, Wehrlein was just given another spot from another Mercedes driver that then started to block Timo Scheider). To the point, that Ex-Mercedes-Motorsport-Chief Norbert Haug - who is a drat cool guy, super defensive when it comes to Mercedes to not come across as a hurt bitch because Wolf threw him out...he's just supercool - even started to question the motives of Mercedes. That DTM season was disgusting imo. The Audi sport chief who instructed Timo Scheider to kick Wehrlein off got a live-long probation from DTM pit-lane (allthough he appeared again this year) and of course was relieved of his position at AUDI DTM Motorsports operation.

I am a loving big BMW fan, but if some other team wins fair and square, it's all good, and I even had tears in my eyes this year applauding Rene Rast for winning the DTM for AUDI in an Audi (and I hate AUDI and Audis), but the way Wehrlein won simply wasn't impressive imo. Mercedes had an awesome car that year, a very good driver with Wehrlein, and then decided it is appropriate to make the seven other Mercedes drivers Wehrlein's bitch after about two or three races (of ten).

gently caress that poo poo!

Wow, who could have predicted this kind of unethical behaviour in a German racing series full of Germans

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Nico Rosberg is now managing Kubica, which should tell you everything you need to know about what a bad driver Kubica is

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Congratulations to Felipe Massa in this very special day for him

poty
Jun 21, 2008

GramCracker posted:

On the contrary the Brits should pay people to design normal teeth for them

British people have naturally beautiful teeth. The dentist lobby can keep spreading their hate as long as they want, we won't give in to the fake teeth craze.

Jealousy of Britain will make you an even uglier person, please learn to love yourself and your medically enhanced frankenteeth

poty fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 2, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

White and yellow does look pretty bad

Yeah...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

I am glad to be alongside my avatar-sake Andrew Benson in doubting the Kube can make a return to F1. I fully expect to remain un-toxxed when Williams make their decision to appoint Di-Resta to the seat.

Benson is a huge Nico Rosberg fan and therefore has a conflict of interest regarding Kubica. This article stinks of mindgames

poty
Jun 21, 2008

keevo posted:

I don't understand that hashtag.

He's obviously a big fan of F1 thread superstar gret

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Dubs posted:

McLarenstore has been 70% off since black Friday and they still can't sell anything out.

I bought a hat though.

You know this was never a thing outside of like one tweet right.

Actually they sold out of the team T-shirt I wanted to buy :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McLaren-Honda-2017-Performance-Shirt/dp/B06Y45P4TP

I thought it would go even lower than 70% off after Christmas

poty
Jun 21, 2008

GramCracker posted:

Real talk how the gently caress are you both retired at those ages

When you take into account how much tax money we're going to save after Brexit, I think me and the rest of the British posters will be able to retire within the next 5 years

poty
Jun 21, 2008

GramCracker posted:

The packing slip doesn't even have her name on it - it's for someone in South Hampton and we are in the USA. Lmbo.

Give me my Lewis polo back motherfucker

poty
Jun 21, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Who out there is both available and genuinely fast? Because I think at least Renault would have given Kubica a seat if he still seemed like a top 10 driver so I suspect he falls more into the Di Resta/Kvyat tier of experienced drivers hanging out on the fringe of F1. I sort of don't know who Williams signs that they don't have to buy out from some other team.

Jolyon "the Flash" Palmer

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The best series of superhero films ever made is the Raimi Spider-Man films, even the third one.

1 and 3 are good but forgettable but Spidey 2 is just fantastic from beginning to end

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

You may think that, but I have to warn you that she’s accompanied by Jizza Phwoarbyn, Gladimhere Putitin, Knickerless Virgin*, and Boris Johnson.

*this one took me a while to get, not because I don’t know who Nicola Sturgeon is, but because I expected better wordplay

For sure they could all take some mentoring from Marghimthere Snatcher and Libid(o) Cumheron

poty fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 16, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The British sports personality of the year gets awarded tonight. Our Lewis is nominated but given the BBC's awful bias against him I fully expect he'll get voter-frauded out of the contest.

I heard the BBC management is hell-bent on giving the award to Rosberg so they're having Andrew Benson look through his genealogy for British ancestors as we speak

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Theophany posted:

Lol it's ok he has the taxpayer jet.

Considering the unicorn-soft Brexit we're negotiating, the jet money would have ended up in the pockets of some German farmer of genetically-modified chickens fed with nuclear waste, who would then export them into the meals of our schoolchildren. I'd rather have Our Lewis keep the money.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Of course this thread bought the fake news about Our Froomey hook, line and sinker. It's me, I'm the guy who takes EU lab results, from Spain of all places, at face value.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Knowing Spain's doping history I'm guessing they just forgot that they had set the machine to invert the results so it would only raise an alert if no drugs were found

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Given that his whole thing is how much he is loved by the fans it is an actual PR blow for his brand whenever sports personality rolls around because it exposes him as someone no one really gives two shits about. He’s been nominated loads of times and only won it in a year when there were no other sporting achievements - John Surtees beat Bobby Charlton for his award, Lewis couldn’t beat Jonathan Rea.

It goes to show you how much damage the negative coverage from the BBC and the rest of the "British" media has done. Every forum I visit where F1 is covered from a neutral and fair perspective is full of Lewis fans but sadly the general public doesn't have access to the truth.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wicka posted:

Merry Christmas from my cat, whose owner can't afford speech bubbles. gently caress Ferrari, or something.

His owner can obviously afford an expensive iphone with portrait mode, more fake news from Ferrari fan #1 wicka

poty fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 23, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Merry Christmas from the Moral SPOTY 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Phwoar, what a song, not to mention those hot British bimbos in the video. And their girlfriends are not too shabby either!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

pik_d posted:

Good lad and WDC/MWDC Lewis Hamilton has realized the error of his words,
all on his own:

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/945718243511144448

Edit: Oh there's more?

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/945718655949602823

OK just stop

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/945718744680206336

Phwoar, what an apology from the World Equality Champion 2018. Meanwhile Vettel has yet to post anything supporting the LGBTQ community and their cause. I guess he doesn’t consider it an important issue.

poty fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 28, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

While Our Lewis is advancing the cause of justice and equality for all, Their Sebastian was complaining that he wanted to see more titties when they took away his grid girls once.

If Carmen Jorda wants any credibility in the FIA Women's Commission she should lead the charge to disqualify Vettel and Ferrari on grounds of sexism and misogyny

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

This has to go in the new season OP

I'm not the OP but I agree, I hope that the Rosberg fans involved in this post "go" in the new season

poty
Jun 21, 2008

As Lewis rapidly grows stronger and smarter, I want to wish all of his friends, supporters, enemies, haters, and even the very dishonest Fake News Media, a Happy and Healthy New Year. 2018 will be a great year for Britain!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

It’s actually pretty cool that someone who is basically 95% Bernie Ecclestone is leading the world.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

It's actually really bugging me cause I know I've seen him before. Who is the blue suit guy?!?!

Muhammad Ali

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Jokes aside, I don’t know anyone on that picture other than Massa and Lewis

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Churchill just sweeped most categories at the Golden Globes and is probably the best film of all time. It would have won all categories but the EU journalists voted against it. I have a couple of theories about why but I hate to bring up politics and history in the F1 thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Theophany posted:

100w incandescents are. Given how cheap and powerful LED bulbs have become I honestly don't know why the hell people still even buy lovely incandescent bulbs, especially when they are basically the same colour temperature, save a load of money on electricity and are easily brighter than the most common 60w.

There was a literally bum rush to stock up on 100w bulbs when the EU banned their sale. Like, people literally queued up to pay inflated prices for an outdated piece of technology that will irrefutably end up costing them more over the long run. And David Cameron thought it was smart to let these retards have a say on the future of this country. Jesus wept.

Angela Merkel has a kill switch for all the LED bulbs exported into Britain, that's why the EU banned the other kinds.

She already disabled a couple of them in my apartment after I made some posts saying that Rosberg didn't deserve to win the WDC

poty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 8, 2018

• Locked thread