Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

You can also call it "Grand Chelem" if you're French or a pretentious twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Autosport said that was a "livery concept". I'm sure by the time the actual 2018 car is launched, Sauber has decided that this livery has too much color.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dudley posted:

There was a rumour Kubica was going to get the reserve slot as well.
Bobby K is "in talks for support role": https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-in-talks-for-williams-support-role-for-2018-995381/

I guess he's hoping they'll plonk him into the car when Sirotkin inevitably flops.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Bring back tobacco sponsorship

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The 555 BAR from 1999 looked amazing and the Lucky Strike one was also nice, but of course FIA decided that we can't have anything cool so we ended up with the zipper livery instead.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

mrfart posted:

Why didn't anybody tell me Ron dennis ex wife made children books?
Did anybody read them? There have to be some hidden cries for help in there.
I'm going to assume Ron divorced her because she used too much color in those books.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That looks pretty nice (and also does a good job hiding the halo, I didn't even notice it at first glance), shame they'll probably replace it with something boring.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to seeing how McLaren have hosed up this year's livery. The easy option that a lot of people would probably like would be "the same bloody thing Nando had on his IndyCar last year" but that's probably not dynamic enough or whatever.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Holy poo poo Marcus Ericsson is entering his 4th season as an F1 driver. Has there ever been a more anonymous driver?
I think there was some bloke named Will Stevens at one point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/965964826257383438

All black (well, with a couple of yellow swishy lines) on the sides.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Someone apparently leaked pictures of the new Toro Rosso, so Toro Rosso decided to post one themselves:

https://twitter.com/ToroRosso/status/966347715004248065

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/966619055682674688

It's silver!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Ferrari sold their tradition to a fag manufacturer. When was the last car a proper Ferrari red instead of Marlboro scarlet?
2007, they switched from Marlboro red to rosso corsa from Monaco onward. The last full season in proper Ferrari red was 1996, I think.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Nobody cares about these people, just like nobody cares about Ferrari fans in general

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

You are entering a world of pain.
Isn't that just reading the Worst Thread in general?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't like the mini shark fin, all the cars would look better without it. Sure it's better than a full-sized shark fin, but that's not saying much.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Just refer to them as "the hard tyre" and "the soft tyre" regardless which have shown up.
That would make sense, and as such it has no place in Formula One.

Where did the image of the graphics come from, anyway? It looks like a mockup by some dude on Reddit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The blue on the wings is apparently supposed to be a throwback to some of the old McLaren Can-Am cars:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

This happened.
I don't know which is more offensive, the Peugeot engine or Philippe Alliot.

Fun fact: The 1994 Hungarian GP is the most recent Grand Prix weekend without any Finnish drivers participating in any of the sessions! (Mika Häkkinen had a race ban for his part in the startline pileup in Germany, JJ Lehto had been sacked by Benetton and hadn't returned to Sauber yet, and Mika Salo wouldn't debut until Japan) :finland:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

When was the last time we had a season with no Brazilians?
1969, I think.

edit: Fittipaldi debuted in 1970, so that seems about right

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

loving Red Bull. Yeah, let's make a special livery everybody likes, but then revert to the exact same boring poo poo we've had for the past 13 years because people are used to it! What is the point of having an aesthetically pleasing car?

Red Bull posted:

"We launched the Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14 last week in our special edition 'Disruption' livery, but the 'DisruptoBull' was always intended as a one-off," said Red Bull.

"This will be our third season using the matte design - though the underlying scheme can be traced all the way back to 2005 and our rookie season in Formula 1 when the RB1 raced with a livery that has made its mark.

"We're still a relatively young team in F1 terms - but over the last 13 seasons our distinctive blue, yellow and red scheme has achieved a level of recognition of which we're proud."
:effort:

DoctorGonzo posted:

Autosport snarky live timing is loving awful
it's cool and good, OP

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Remember when Sato overtook Alonso in Canada
Anthony Davidson in the other Super Aguri could've been on the podium in that race, but had to pit for repairs after hitting a groundhog.

Not to take anything away from Sato, of course. That was great :japan:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'd be fine with Kimi or Bottas winning the WDC :finland:

Nando is the moral champion though

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Halo14 posted:

Juuust driiiiive
How did SkyF1 end up choosing that loving awful song anyway? Did they figure that since they were poo poo in general*, they might as well pick the shittiest music imaginable for their opening?

Also, do they still have Lewis going NICO HIT ME :qq: in the intro? That was the best part.

*still a million times better than MTV3's F1 coverage in Finland :negative:

ilmucche posted:

I support eurobeat blasting a la initial d anytime someone gets into drs range
I approve of this

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

With Liberty trying to turn formula one into something stupid like nascar they could use this song in the intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAl9cchQac
F1 was already stupid, Liberty is just turning it into a different kind of stupid

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sean Bratches is a probable lizard person who speaks a marketing drone dialect of Ronspeak, but if Liberty manage to give us a half-decent streaming platform (preferably one that works in Finland with or without a VPN) I'll excuse all the dumb poo poo they've ever said.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Liberty is rear end and were gonna get WWE intros every race, highlights reels every 10 laps and in race music. RIP F1.
hopefully

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

please be available in Finland please be available in Finland please

(it obviously won't be, MTV3 isn't going to have any of that poo poo)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it does say the archive service will be available "near-globally", presumably the expensive pro service with the live streaming will not be available in countries like the UK where Sky just paid 69 billion dollars for F1 TV rights
Yeah, I'd really like the pro service though because I'd like to watch F1 legally but refuse to pay a single cent to MTV3.

Oh well, if it's anything like the WWE Network, it'll at least be really easy to circumvent the region block.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

no finland, sorry OP
That says "nearly two dozen markets, including these countries" though, so I'm not giving up hope yet. If I was a suit at Liberty, I'd try to make a deal that makes the service available in Finland with English commentary, with MTV3 retaining the exclusive rights for coverage in Finnish (and maybe getting a cut of the subscription profits, which kinda contradicts my "gently caress MTV3" stance but whatever) for the remainder of the existing contract so they can still price-gouge the more casual viewers. Many of the hardcore fans have already voted with their wallets, so MTV3 isn't getting their money anyway at this point.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

NordVPN is really good.

• Locked thread