Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

it's interesting that even in LF, "human being" and "friend of the family" were used a lot "ironically." the online pushback against using slurs is a pretty recent phenomenon

Another forum I used more frequently swung from "if you use either of these words you will be banned on sight, they are unacceptable" to "what, are you triggered? you SJW" in like the span of a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

warez posted:

Another forum I used more frequently swung from "if you use either of these words you will be banned on sight, they are unacceptable" to "what, are you triggered? you SJW" in like the span of a couple of years.

Yeah, GBS got pretty bad for a while there.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

warez posted:

Could this be, the gameFAQs spinoff, “luelinks?”

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

speaking of which, is it true that ShitRedditSays was started by goons? they're not very active anymore, but for a while they were the face of internet "SJWs"

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Threads like this are happening fairly frequently now. The effect of the overall aging of SA cannot be overstated. Rose colored glasses syndrome is prevalent partly due to the inescapable fact that remembering the past means we were YOUNGER and for the most part that's a better time for all of us.

As time goes on, calls for a definitive work about SA will only increase. For the fortunate few here for a truly long time I do not think what you experienced can ever be documented.

IMO, and I am practical above all else, what can be done first is an introduction to the history of SA.

Example: (That I could do, just an example) Write a blurb about Texarrakis, a few paragraphs describing it, then link it.

Someone else: Write a blurb about say, Martin Random, where it got picked up outside SA, fallout, etc. Then link his main thread.

Someone else [ and I'm personally interested in this ] What the hell is FYAD? I try to read it now but it's just empty quotes all the way down. The OP is pretty broad and may therefore be intimidating. Someone please write up FYAD for me.

Write up a particular era, or event , then link to what you can. This would be a curated list, like an index of informative short stories, THEN YOU LINK IT ON SA's Front Page.

I'd love to start but I don't have a laptop and have to job hunt first of the year.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spinster posted:

I'd love to start but I don't have a laptop and have to job hunt first of the year.
Can we just crowdfund to get you a drat laptop? It's not like you won't contribute.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Heath posted:

never heard of it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Part of me wonders if goons’ stinging oversensitivity to being considered in any kind of serious or god forbid academic light is a holdover from that latent nerd instinct to protect what you love through ten layers of irony and anyone who disturbs it is threatening. Any time someone in GBS makes even a vaguely serious look at what SA “is” you get a score of posters responding with drive-by dismissals and anyone who engages with it gets a “nobody cares” from a bunch of people who clearly do care a lot

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

speaking of which, is it true that ShitRedditSays was started by goons? they're not very active anymore, but for a while they were the face of internet "SJWs"

Supposedly that was the GBS 1.0 crew and LF who got driven off the forums.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Heath posted:

Part of me wonders if goons’ stinging oversensitivity to being considered in any kind of serious or god forbid academic light is a holdover from that latent nerd instinct to protect what you love through ten layers of irony and anyone who disturbs it is threatening. Any time someone in GBS makes even a vaguely serious look at what SA “is” you get a score of posters responding with drive-by dismissals and anyone who engages with it gets a “nobody cares” from a bunch of people who clearly do care a lot
If you haven't learned to forge ahead, ignore the weirdos, and give a poo poo then what are you even still doing here?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
My lunch break is over but also there is really neat interesting stuff still happening at SA. Getting pedos off Reddit wasnt that long ago, and i was reading the Goldmine a couple months ago ----That GBS thread where you reenact historical scenes with household objects-------

That's a good as anything I've ever seen here and it's recent.

Some stuff can't be repeated, you all learned MS paint for the first time, for example.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

it's interesting that even in LF, "human being" and "friend of the family" were used a lot "ironically." the online pushback against using slurs is a pretty recent phenomenon

I've noticed this too, and it's fascinating how it went from being kinda seen as "funny" to absolutely not acceptable in what feels like 2 years.

Anyway I joined SA a while after I read the "I built a flamethrower out of PVC pipes" thread, the SA forums were incredibly edgy and exiting at that time.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
poo poo what happened to goon island?

Guys want to build a fort?

No joke I don’t have a security clearance but I did rocket club in 3rd grade. We could go nuclear in a few months.

I have diplomatic relations with at least a few countries. We’d get a UN seat in no time

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 26, 2017

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Rodney posted:

I've noticed this too, and it's fascinating how it went from being kinda seen as "funny" to absolutely not acceptable in what feels like 2 years.

Anyway I joined SA a while after I read the "I built a flamethrower out of PVC pipes" thread, the SA forums were incredibly edgy and exiting at that time.

When, and link? (Reregs make dates incorrect sometimes)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pawn 17 posted:

Supposedly that was the GBS 1.0 crew and LF who got driven off the forums.

I don't know one way or the other personally but that makes some sense to me. Although I strongly suspect it was much more GBS 1.0 than it was LF as LF had been dead a long time already when GBS 1.0 was at its "peak".

Heath posted:

I mean that isn't exactly new either. In that weird gap between Chanology and Occupy Wall Street (which was deep with both Goons and Chanology vets) there was a shitload of very experimental thinkpieces in GBS and D&D that tried to take this forum seriously and organize it into something. Everything from crowdsourcing solutions for the Middle East to creating a (literal) Goon Island was explored. At the time those threads always got a shitload of low-effort flack as well and their existence on the board was never uncontroversial.

I remember one ill-fated venture circa 2006ish called "All of US" which was a GBS launched offsite that was supposed to enable the entire Internet to crowdsource solutions to the political and economic problems in the US at the time. It never went anywhere and I forget what finally killed it but for a minute there was an obnoxious amount of attempts to recruit for it permeating the forums.

Conversely I remember a Goon effort from 2008 called "Plurality of Anecdote" which was an offsite that would took submissions from Americans describing their healthcare experiences and contrasted them with submissions from countries that had socialized healthcare. That website turned out to be pretty influential both here and in the broader internet and punched well above its weight in terms of impact on the national discourse around healthcare. So not all Goon offsite efforts have been episodes of regret.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 26, 2017

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vladivostok is looking mighty fine. It’s Russian San Fran

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Heath posted:

I'm thinking abuot the gameFAQs spinoff luelinks "ETI" myself.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
No seriously Siberia has no infrastructure. You miserable laborer want work right?

How’s the Ruble doing? Whatever moonmoney Russia uses

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Spinster posted:

When, and link? (Reregs make dates incorrect sometimes)

Appearantly I joined 2 years after I read that, but I found this after a short google search:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=0971bfbc583e32dd6761ca585990b0b5&threadid=1107178&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Don't have archives so dunno if it's the right one.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

To me, SA offered was a nexus for incredibly talented posters and their original art & text content in a manner that can no longer be replicated. The internet has aged. Growth of social media & fractionation of communities have all but ensured that a critical mass of divergent aesthetic, political, etc views & perceptions that breed the creativity and validation required for the sort of content we produced doesn't really happen again.

The beginning of social media and fractionation of communities (that came with reduced central moderation & standards, S/W technology to spin off new communities) have allowed for larger communities to break up as niche communities coalesce and grow. The growth of subreddits is direct example of this. Here, I've noticed how megathreads have grown in number and essentially broke off into the PYF subforum. In physical terms, the system has more states available to it which will be filled while entropy increases and the ability of the system to produce meaningful work decreases.

I doubt anyone signs onto SA today without acknowledging it for the anachronism it is. We're clingers-on, held together in our anticipation of each new echo of the community and content that once was.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I am really surprised at the longevity of the forums, which was a big factor in my paying :10bux:

I was a pretty avid poster on the Consumption Junction forums and contributor to its front page back in it's heyday of the early 2000's and after it got ran into the ground by lovely business practices, I never really wanted to start browsing on another forum until a few years back. CJ and SA didn't ever cross paths so I didn't even know what SA was until stumbling across a Johnston Checks In article and even then avoided the forums so I missed all the craziness of the early days, but CJ was not without its doxxing and mixing irl with your forums identity with tragic results.

So in a way, after dealing with the wild west of pre-web 2.0, sometimes the nature of the forums now seems better, I dunno.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay. So on goon island we’ll need internet. Laying some cable if you will. We’ll have to contract it out. I hear bechelt is a good firm.

Obviously a runaway with a plane that can land on water.

No animie but I’m thinking an Asian aesthetic

A “no rules, just right” sort of vibe

How much is Easter island? Who owns it. I want to annex it

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 26, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If there was a Behind the Music for websites they'd talk about the day I registered the way they talk about the day Kurt Cobain met Courtney Love.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

quote:

its really amazing how the actions of goons and mods are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe.

proposal: i am going to make an environmentally sustainable yoga retreat in hawaii

reality: a y2k survivalist paid goons a "food stipend" to help me clearcut a rainforest, dig a road by hand, torture and mutilate animals to death on camera, and bathe in/drink from an improperly filtered kiddy pool that wild hogs poo poo and pissed in

proposal: i am going to make a fun zipline for kids at camp

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine that kills children, entirely by accident

proposal: a fad diet thread in the exercise forum

reality: a mentally ill man resembling a melted candle, the pied piper of ham joints, told people that eating nothing but eggs and bacon and lard in paint buckets (they were literally buying and eating buckets full of lard in the name of good health) would not only make them lose weight, but was so healthy it would cure heart disease and cancer. an enormous fat powerlifter who cant run for 20 seconds probated and banned anyone who challenged this wisdom until it lead to a man barely in his 20s being prescribed statins.

proposal: a thread about animal husbandry in the pet forum

reality: a moderator unrepentantly killed animals with ac/dc hadoukens and probated people who asked questions

proposal: a forum for "responsible drug users" and "harm reduction"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think of the things that is extraordinarily hard for younger posters to appreciate is the heady sense of experimentation that the Internet represented to us all in the early days- there really isn't anything quite like it at present. The barriers to participating in online communities where pretty damned high in those days and as a result the general public had little interest in online culture (the Internet was largely thought of as more of a tool for businesses and the idea of considering it a source of cultural development was laughably insane). So early on there was this massive desire in online communities to experiment with how far you could spread a funny video or shocking/bizarre image online. The ultimate achievement though was to bring online culture into "meatspace".

Perhaps the very first truly viral video was something a few Goons cooked up in GBS called "All your Base Are Belong to Us". I can remember both how proud we were of that video and how united the community was in the experiment to spread that video out as far as possible on the Internet. The first time I happened across it while browsing Newgrounds for lovely flash games it felt like this amazing loving thrill.

There was this in the early days idea that the creativity that was so abundant on the Internet could be used to transform human culture into something better- something more open and free and creative and hilarious. If we could just find a way to bridge that gap and bring the awesomeness of the Internet out to the body politic it would change the world in wonderful and unpredictable ways. Probably the peak of the enthusiasm behind this idea was the early protests during Chanology:

This idea seemed to have a bunch of validity at the time and there were former CIA agents writing detailed analysis of Anonymous and how online culture would change the world. However while these tactics had proven effective against a (wounded but still international and very dangerous) authoritarian cult they ran face first into cold hard reality with the failure of Occupy Wall Street. Many of what are now in hindsight were the obvious downfalls of OWS were ideas that had developed and been tested (or so we thought) during Chanology.

OWS was kind of the end of that era of enthusiasm and was shortly followed by social media emerging and not only getting everybody and their racist Uncle online- but political actors with state resources found a way to weaponize those racist Uncles and created the world we live in today. At present many of us who were part of those early days look on the modern Internet with a mix of......I don't know. I think part of the reason I made this thread is to kind of explore how we oldtimers feel about SA and the Internet now that we are all more mature and have had a few years to reflect on things.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

I think of the things that is extraordinarily hard for younger posters to appreciate is the heady sense of experimentation that the Internet represented to us all in the early days- there really isn't anything quite like it at present. The barriers to participating in online communities where pretty damned high in those days and as a result the general public had little interest in online culture (the Internet was largely thought of as more of a tool for businesses and the idea of considering it a source of cultural development was laughably insane). So early on there was this massive desire in online communities to experiment with how far you could spread a funny video or shocking/bizarre image online. The ultimate achievement though was to bring online culture into "meatspace".

Perhaps the very first truly viral video was something a few Goons cooked up in GBS called "All your Base Are Belong to Us". I can remember both how proud we were of that video and how united the community was in the experiment to spread that video out as far as possible on the Internet. The first time I happened across it while browsing Newgrounds for lovely flash games it felt like this amazing loving thrill.

There was this in the early days idea that the creativity that was so abundant on the Internet could be used to transform human culture into something better- something more open and free and creative and hilarious. If we could just find a way to bridge that gap and bring the awesomeness of the Internet out to the body politic it would change the world in wonderful and unpredictable ways. Probably the peak of the enthusiasm behind this idea was the early protests during Chanology:

This idea seemed to have a bunch of validity at the time and there were former CIA agents writing detailed analysis of Anonymous and how online culture would change the world. However while these tactics had proven effective against a (wounded but still international and very dangerous) authoritarian cult they ran face first into cold hard reality with the failure of Occupy Wall Street. Many of what are now in hindsight were the obvious downfalls of OWS were ideas that had developed and been tested (or so we thought) during Chanology.

OWS was kind of the end of that era of enthusiasm and was shortly followed by social media emerging and not only getting everybody and their racist Uncle online- but political actors with state resources found a way to weaponize those racist Uncles and created the world we live in today. At present many of us who were part of those early days look on the modern Internet with a mix of......I don't know. I think part of the reason I made this thread is to kind of explore how we oldtimers feel about SA and the Internet now that we are all more mature and have had a few years to reflect on things.

I don't think you can understate the 'innocence' of everything back then. There was so little consequence between your online behaviour and the real world that you could do anything, and there was so much derisiveness about the internet and what it would become that it was still entirely frivolous. Nobody had online lives, and nobody cared what was happening online. The internet that mattered was still the realm of science fiction when we would wear VR helmets and walk around in the Matrix. There was a grand cluelessness to the internet and what its limits. The internet was the wild west, where opportunities were endless if you somehow made it across the desert. It was still a wilderness full of kooks, freaks, voyeurs, bandits, and wannabe messiahs and you could laugh in real time as some weird cult set up camp in a valley, lost their fortune panning for gold on a bum-claim, or a group of green settlers got axed by natives not so nearly sanguine about strangers in their midst. And all of it was understood to be missed by the annals of history, the attention of the newspapers and the coast. It would be swallowed up by the wild and be half remembered and retold at a campfire watched by vagrants.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 26, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah it's more than a little pretentious to say, but the Internet pre-2006 really did have more of a "Wild West" vibe. It helped a lot that videos were hard to do because of slower internet connections and the lack of standardized encoding. Until the 1-2 punch of Facebook and YouTube in 2006, it was still prevalent wisdom to avoid sharing real life details about yourself online and treat the internet as this shadow-realm, instead of the funhouse mirror of your real-world existence it became.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay you guys want to meet up? I don’t bite

Public place! Lots of witness! No catfish!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it's more than a little pretentious to say, but the Internet pre-2006 really did have more of a "Wild West" vibe. It helped a lot that videos were hard to do because of slower internet connections and the lack of standardized encoding. Until the 1-2 punch of Facebook and YouTube in 2006, it was still prevalent wisdom to avoid sharing real life details about yourself online and treat the internet as this shadow-realm, instead of the funhouse mirror of your real-world existence it became.

you called it man. i remember in 2005, it was not normal for teenagers to go online every day. that was something weird kids did. then youtube launched (pre google acquisition!) and facebook opened up to high schoolers and middle schoolers instead of just college students. suddenly by 2007, every single teenager was online every day.

its weird that no one acknowledges how important this shift was, it's kinda industrial revolution level significant imho

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
~trigger warnings in gbs posts~

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

the black husserl posted:

you called it man. i remember in 2005, it was not normal for teenagers to go online every day. that was something weird kids did. then youtube launched (pre google acquisition!) and facebook opened up to high schoolers and middle schoolers instead of just college students. suddenly by 2007, every single teenager was online every day.

its weird that no one acknowledges how important this shift was, it's kinda industrial revolution level significant imho

AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc also helped bring more and more younger people online before that, but YouTube and Facebook definitely put that trend into overdrive.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc also helped bring more and more younger people online before that, but YouTube and Facebook definitely put that trend into overdrive.
Yeah there were loads of kids online, but drat-near everything was a pseudonym and if there were loads of pictures of you being shared it was because you or someone close to you put in a lot of effort.

YouTube standardized video almost overnight, and Facebook made it "ok" to put your pictures next to your actual name so you could network with everyone you've ever known ever. It was a massive paradigm shift within the span of a year. It's no coincidence TIME magazine named "You" the Person of the Year 2006 (a fact I still put on my resume).

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

the black husserl posted:

I think part of this is because only just now is there any appreciable mass of individuals (mostly the older end of Millennials) capable of appreciating how big a deal that is. Generation X is frankly too old to appreciate what that shift entails, and a 25 year old does not have meaningful memories of what teenage life was like before everyone was online. Personally I am in that weird spot where I was both an early adopter of the Internet (been online since '92) and still grew up chasing fireflies and playing pickup games of kickball with the neighborhood kids. I can remember what it was like to be a kind when cell phones were so expensive they were more like expensive (brain cooking) jewelry than practical tools. I think perhaps 10 years from now the switch we are discussing here will probably be recognized enough that it has a popular name, but at just this moment there really just are not a great deal of people with both the perspective and the maturity to even be aware of how significant every teenager becoming an Internet addict was.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Google and big data aggregate sites like Wikis also were a big influence on it too. As search engines died off and became better optimized, the internet became less of a crapshoot for information. Instead of having to go to DarrenBuu1984's DBZ Page on Geocities for info, there was now a reliable, consistent and findable source for information. It was less personslity driven and it wouldn't vanish because of some obscure internet feud. You also didn't need to parse through a webring or 100s of useless results. The internet was becoming reliable and more useable and more people got drawn in. And then our phones became computers.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

guidoanselmi posted:

I doubt anyone signs onto SA today without acknowledging it for the anachronism it is. We're clingers-on, held together in our anticipation of each new echo of the community and content that once was.

Honestly there's no anticipation on my part.

In my mind the "internet" is dead. I get no joy from any of the current communities (reddit, imgur, youtube, ect), which are basically corporate friendly wastelands that people can comment on. The utopic ideal of this new frontier turned out to be laughably inaccurate as the whole thing was monetized and turned into Neuromancer cyber-space, where the only anarchic factions are literal criminals who have tech skills wildly beyond the grasp of the average civilian. The rest of us are stuck in a shopping mall where we endlessly preen ourselves in front of social media mirrors while corporate psychologists hover over our shoulders to see what products we like the best.

i don't come to SA to see a resurgence; I come here to hang with like-minded people while we drink beers and watch the whole thing die. eventually the collapse of net neutrality will kill communities like this--places where people just enjoy chatting with each other and that don't support native advertising--and your average people's options will be limited to going to corporate-sanctioned reddit (part of the $10 p/month package for web discussion sites) or logging off entirely.

And so I'm just enjoying it while it lasts

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do yourself a favor and drop off of Facebook. Don’t use it, don’t look at it, don’t like a post, delete the app and the bookmark from your computer. Your life will improve substantially.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Do yourself a favor and drop off of Facebook. Don’t use it, don’t look at it, don’t like a post, delete the app and the bookmark from your computer. Your life will improve substantially.

A few years ago I culled my Facebook and stopped all updates except from my closest friends because I literally have no other way to communicate with them, and I can confirm it was a real improvement

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I joined in 2004 after getting my first job and having some spare funds sitting around to finally :10bux: up for The Comedy and Humor forum. I was after the time of DPPH and BTB so I never got down on that.

After lurking for a while, I veered straight into FYAD where things made sense for whatever reason, then sank my postcount into the negatives by tens of thousands having a good time. Some day I want to search my full post history so I can laugh at what a sadsack/nerd/ridiculous kid I was.

Great memories:

- Fecal Lasagna, and the :scax: emoticon
- Scary-rear end Tandy threads by 50 Foot Ant who I'll always remember as Brock Sampson IRL
- E/N being in GBS. People would just directly post their poor life decisions and whine about things RIGHT HERE IN GBS.
- Microwave's mom wasis really hot.
- Speaking of Microwave, Choose Your Own Adventure threads; "Go Left" was like half the replies.
- GBSFM owned
- SAtv
- Playing any game with any goon squad.
- EVE lol
- Now I play Destiny with goons and it's pretty sweet.
- CSPAM turned out to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
It's kind of ironic that SA in a sense became a better model for the internet because it took a pessimist view. It assumed that left to their own devices in a consequence free environment, people will act like idiots. SA made us accountable for stupid poo poo we did and there was a consequence for it. Reddit struggles with its hardcore Trump contingent cannibalizing it, Twitter can't figure out how to handle rape threats, and Facebook is trying to lockdown fake news - all because they assumed that if you just got rid of the rules, it would all work out.

• Locked thread