Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Testikles posted:

Google and big data aggregate sites like Wikis also were a big influence on it too. As search engines died off and became better optimized, the internet became less of a crapshoot for information. Instead of having to go to DarrenBuu1984's DBZ Page on Geocities for info, there was now a reliable, consistent and findable source for information. It was less personslity driven and it wouldn't vanish because of some obscure internet feud. You also didn't need to parse through a webring or 100s of useless results. The internet was becoming reliable and more useable and more people got drawn in. And then our phones became computers.

From a few pages back but I think a good analogy to this would be long distance driving in America both pre and post national highway system. Before we had the interstate there were tons of small towns with local flavor that survived on the fact that there'd be regular travelers passing through. Once we got the interstate those communities withered and died on the vine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Anyone post about the goon who made a thread saying it was time to bring back the bull moose party? I wanna say this was like six years ago, hope and change were not panning out, a lot of people were getting displeased, but it wasn't insane mirror world yet, and some goon posted a thread in gbs.

The way I remember it, it went NUTS. tons of people posting, and it was all extremely "gently caress yeah let's do this thing" or extremely "this is dumb." The guy basically spelled out what would essentially be the Bernie platform, but it evaporated when the thread died(?). There was an irc and it was totally illegible because of how fast people were talking. I don't remember exactly how the thread died, maybe they got shouted down, maybe the whole thing was too "goon project" to live

I'm still catching up on this thread and it seems like this was passed over. The guy you're thinking about is Brian Boyko

I'd go into more detail but the goldmined thread is really everything you need.

• Locked thread