Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
I've lurked the forums off and on for almost 15 years but a lot of these developments were lost on me (I've never really stuck around/posted long enough to become part of the community). The SAclopedia is handy but kind of limited in its current form. A wiki-style thing would be ideal but :effort: (and also it might just devolve into something horrible like Encyclopedia Dramatica). Reading stuff like this is interesting as hell to me though if anyone is willing to put in the time/effort :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

it's interesting that even in LF, "human being" and "friend of the family" were used a lot "ironically." the online pushback against using slurs is a pretty recent phenomenon

Another forum I used more frequently swung from "if you use either of these words you will be banned on sight, they are unacceptable" to "what, are you triggered? you SJW" in like the span of a couple of years.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Heath posted:

Could this be, the gameFAQs spinoff, “luelinks?”

never heard of it

warez
Mar 13, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

One thing I would be really interested in hearing is how younger posters experience both SA and the Internet. Like how exactly does someone in their mid teens or mid 20's view this website? Whats it like hanging out with the Internet version of old curmudgeons? The idea of Internet oldsters still feels wild to me because outside of like obscure Usenet groups there really were no old people on the Internet during my own formative years. So I find the idea of a young person experiencing a long established multi-generation online community is really interesting to me because it is so outside of my own experiences. When I was coming up people like me (early adopters who were interested in dealing with the drudgery of managing a community) were basically the closest thing to mature (lol) adults in online communities. An effort post from a younger poster about their experiences would be a wonderful addition to this thread IMO.

I made this account with my dad’s debit card (and permission) when I was 12 and have lurked off and on through the years (I’m 26 now). This forum just seemed really insular and unforgiving, which scared me away from ever engaging with it (maybe a good thing because at that age I would have been even more clueless/annoying than I am now).

Maybe sounds embarrassing but nowadays “did you ever frequent SA” is something like a litmus test for when I meet new nerd friends to see how steeped they were in internet culture around the early ‘00s.

• Locked thread