Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I've thought a lot about my own journey to SA.

One thing I've noticed in our modern internet is everyone has their bubbles. Back in the day there weren't as many communities, and people seemed to follow a "path".

Mine was from Newgrounds to Gamefaqs to deeper into gamefaqs (LUE BABY) to gamefaqs offsites to here.

But some people didn't stop here. They were too hosed up for the anime subforum, so they created their own site - 4chan. And some of them were too hosed up for 4chan, and they split off to places like 8chan.

I look back, and I see branching paths there. I went off to college and got an actual social circle and started banging (very nice).

Other kids stayed antisocial and just got meaner and meaner.

Anyways, SA used to be super harsh - someone in the confessions thread mentioned being afraid to post, and I was the same way. Then I got busy with college. Then life.

And after the election I decided to come back, fearful - would edgy lolbertarian filled D&D have gone full Trump? Only to find out that apparently now we're all feeling the Bern and racism is a probatable offense. I was pleasantly suprised, and proceeded to rack up a slew of probations as I went through a compressed adolescence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Nude posted:

Same except I didn't really go deep in gamefaqs. I also got here a lot later than you but it's kind of interesting we followed the same path.

i wonder if cjayc is a goon

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i kind of like being this invisible force behind large chunk of the internet.

i've been hanging out, shitposting and swapping 'nyms for, gosh, 18 years on the net.

sometimes i wish i had some lasting relationships. sometimes i've met people in multiple personas and made friends multiple times. but i've seen too many people get doxed or harassed and it's made me paranoid.

it sucks because you're never truly interacting. yeah i can shitpost and lol, but sometimes i want to keep itreal and share a personal ancedote or fact about my (awesome) city and don't because anonymity.

this split personality thing is a drag and i'm too cheap to make multiple accounts here so i mostly seriouspost on reddit which goes... poorly

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I didn't actually know there were :filez: here when I regged, and they closed that part shortly afterI came. Honestly, I never had an issue finding stuff even pre-Bittorrent and have never had a need to join some super secret filez group

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

I ate so many downvotes on Reddit by simply posting like I do here.

I got banned from legal advice for telling a young woman (18+) whose mom was beating her to research stand your ground laws in her state :shrug:

Well technically they suspended me for “advocating murder” and banned me for sealioning them via modmail.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What do these things mean

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The gently caress are you talking about you maniac

He’d use ((parentheses)) but explicitly saying it would get a probe so he uses dog whistles like “cabal”

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I’m pretty new but after some lurking I hope to be an Fyad superstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Spinster posted:

Go to FYAD, they will LOVE you.

I’m new maybe when I’ve been here a long time

• Locked thread