Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Problem description: Video files on my external HDD from a long time ago (2007) are no longer playing the full video. Windows explorer claims they are the same filesize they always have been, ranging from 120-140 mbs. The files are in .mpg format. The video only playsback about 4-6 minutes of video, most of the beginning of the video and the rest are cut out. It's like someone edited them because there are no signs of corruption or anything in any of the videos.

As far as I can tell only one specific folder of videos was affected.

Attempted fixes: I tried converting one of the videos to a different file format using VLC (from .mpg to .mp4) and it seemed to restore some of the video, but not all of it (the new file playbacked about 25+ minutes of the original 31). The filesize also decreased from 140 mb to 85mb.

Recent changes: These files have not been touched since they were transferred back in 2007. I've looked at some of the videos since then, and they were the original length. I can't remember when the last time I accessed them and can verify they were the original length, but it's definitely been at least a year or two.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

System specs: Intel i5-4590, GeForce GTX 970 4GB, 8 GB RAM. The external hard drive where the files were kept is a 2TB Seagate Desktop Drive Model SRD0SD0

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

It's possible the HD is damaged.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zogo posted:

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

It's possible the HD is damaged.
I got (multiple) cautions :ohdear:

What do. Time to replace the drives?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

I got (multiple) cautions :ohdear:

What do. Time to replace the drives?

Yea, caution isn't good. I'd backup any important data on those drives and replace them.

Those video files on the 2TB drive may be irrecoverable. I'd try copying them to another drive and playing them from there though to be sure.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thank you for your help Zogo.

One more question though:

One of the drives listed as 'caution', the D drive, is my Windows 10 'System Reserved' partition is located. Windows 10 is installed on the C drive (SSD) which isn't listed as caution. Is that safe to ignore? Why would a partition be under caution but not the original drive?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Thank you for your help Zogo.

One more question though:

One of the drives listed as 'caution', the D drive, is my Windows 10 'System Reserved' partition is located. Windows 10 is installed on the C drive (SSD) which isn't listed as caution. Is that safe to ignore? Why would a partition be under caution but not the original drive?

In CDI click on the D: E: button at the top and post the screenshot of what it displays.

If the partition fails then the OS might not load properly.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zogo posted:

In CDI click on the D: E: button at the top and post the screenshot of what it displays.

If the partition fails then the OS might not load properly.

edit:
E: used to be my only hard drive and still has Windows installed on there, even though I boot from C: now. Could that be confusing the program?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

edit:
E: used to be my only hard drive and still has Windows installed on there, even though I boot from C: now. Could that be confusing the program?

No, that wouldn't confuse CDI. That drive has been turned on/off a high number of times for its age. It's also failing so if you have important data on it make sure it's backed up.

• Locked thread