Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm having some trouble picking up my LP of Anachronox, so I'm doing another short LP in the interim.

Dead Secret is a 2016 game of VR exploration and murder mystery by Robot Invader.

Set in 1965, you are Patricia Gable, an ambitious young reporter who has broken into an isolated farm house. The home owner has been found dead, but you are convinced he was murdered. It's up to you to work out who murdered him and find the proof! But, you might not be alone in here...

Dead Secret was made as a VR game, so its mouse controls are kind of terrible and the whole thing feels like you're trying to carefully traverse a room on rollerskates. Its sparse amounts of music are silly. It's kind of goofy overall. And it really holds your hand for solving puzzles. However, at its core is a fun murder mystery, so let's get our story!

The only voice acting in the game is that of the main character, Patricia, by an actress with the incredible name of Michelle G. Schroeder-Lowrey. Unfortunately, she appears to have recorded her lines from inside a filled laundry hamper. I always enjoy sticking my voice where it doesn't belong, so I'll be narrating the various documents we find during the trip.

There are five different endings to this game, or more accurately, three fail states and two endings. I'll cover them all in the playthrough. It's a fairly short game, taking about two hours to complete.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, Dead Secret was released back when everyone did their best to beat everyone at releasing VR titles as early as possible so that they'd remain visible on Steam longer.

I heard it was quite good but I never got around to play it. I'll follow this for sure.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
That was surprisingly tense! And your voice complements the atmosphere nicely.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this kind of reading out the in-game notes I can get behind.

It's kind of funny how we've wound up in the house of a 1960s weeaboo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

As we explore more of the second floor, things take a turn.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Nice of them to provide an in-story reason for the civilian reporter with only one working arm to hang around a place suddenly established as dangerous at least; a matter of personal principle. And for a relatively simple game interface they make it surprisingly tense and interesting. Good choice reading out the documents, keeps the LP from being too quiet and considering how much of the story seems to be through the documents it helps to have a voice to them.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
This has been on my steam wishlist for a long time time, this is one way to cross it off, haha.

Really neat game and as always your narration really adds to it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This is pretty good so far. I also like the narration of the articles, helps that your voice is extremely pleasant.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Well, seems like we have a pretty good lead on Woodcutter's identity now. I fully expect to be hit by a surprise twist next episode.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Huh! I missed that this game was fully released. I last saw it when it was just a demo.

The music is actually pretty alright! And your narration is a treat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They're really juggling all these plot threads around, but I suppose when they're advanced through documents they're fairly easy to run in parallel.

Anyway, something in this reminds me of an old song....

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
So glad they left so much plot just lying around the house for someone to find.

The bad guy who chased you had some nice eyebrows.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Exploration continues into the kitchen and bathroom.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I hate mirrors.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

.mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

inscrutable horse posted:

.mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN

:golfclap:

Now i would like to make a request to davidspackage to make a video with Max' awkward film noir prose.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

As said, the game has multiple endings, and one of them is... simply leaving. Just repeatedly clicking the front door to leave. You can do this right at the start of the game if you want. (the audio in that 'ending' is text-to-speech, I'm being snarky)

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I still hate mirrors, but have come to realise I hate toy monkeys even more. Also, I am not quite fond of dark cellars.

It's surprising how effective this little game is! Almost as surprising as how fast our protagonist is jumping to conclusions. What the hell, Patricia, I though you wanted to be a journalist!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ok I really don't understand how that escape makes you safe at all.

The tension in this is pretty good though.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I'm really enjoying this. The music and the sound design for this game are fantastic. Everything from the door noises to the sound of the dryer, really good.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
What exactly was the purpose of Josie's secret room in the fourth video?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is really interesting. I appreciate that you haven't decided to meaninglessly narrate every little thing you're doing like so often done in these sorts of LP's. I appreciate Mr. Spackage's narration as well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

This is really interesting. I appreciate that you haven't decided to meaninglessly narrate every little thing you're doing like so often done in these sorts of LP's. I appreciate Mr. Spackage's narration as well.

That's a good point!

Also I'm a touch surprised that the chemistry puzzle resolved with us holding the chemical containers over a flame. I mean that was probably just hand waving but I anticipated finding a vial or grid or something to burn samples on. Nice that we got to skip a step.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
What is the spoiler policy for this lp? I have a guess as to who the murderer is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NiftyBottle posted:

What is the spoiler policy for this lp? I have a guess as to who the murderer is.

theres like 2 eps left dude. just hold your horses.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

OutofSight posted:

What exactly was the purpose of Josie's secret room in the fourth video?

Narratively or functionally? Narratively it's to freak the player out with a long black corridor where you know there's going to be a jump scare but there isn't.

Functionally it's so she can spy on him and try to figure out if he's her dad or not. The fact that he knows about it but doesn't seems to know (or care) that she's spying on him is a little weird though.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's a good point!

Also I'm a touch surprised that the chemistry puzzle resolved with us holding the chemical containers over a flame. I mean that was probably just hand waving but I anticipated finding a vial or grid or something to burn samples on. Nice that we got to skip a step.

I'm presuming you didn't actually dump the entire container on the flame, but handling unknown chemicals bare handed is pretty stupid too.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

NiftyBottle posted:

I'm fine with speculation, if you could just spoiler it for courtesy.

By the way, you can't climb onto the bed in Josie's secret room and take a closer look at the photos there. I tried. It feels weird that they don't let you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Dreadwroth posted:

I'm presuming you didn't actually dump the entire container on the flame, but handling unknown chemicals bare handed is pretty stupid too.

Yeah! No wonder our protagonist is be-slinged.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Narratively or functionally? Narratively it's to freak the player out with a long black corridor where you know there's going to be a jump scare but there isn't.

Functionally it's so she can spy on him and try to figure out if he's her dad or not. The fact that he knows about it but doesn't seems to know (or care) that she's spying on him is a little weird though.

Thanks.
I meant functionally, of course. With the bed and candle arrangement it looks ...odd. More like a secret love nest than an observation room.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's funny, the first thought I had with seeing the candles lit up there was 'isn't that a massive fire hazard?'

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

My first few thoughts were "how the hell were they lit up? how are they not melted? MY IMMERSION" but I'm glad nobody else had that problem.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

My first few thoughts were "how the hell were they lit up? how are they not melted? MY IMMERSION" but I'm glad nobody else had that problem.

I thought about bringing that up but didn't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Out of the basement, our heroine stumbles upon the secret project.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Interesting that the killer spared the protagonist when they obviously had no problem killing someone else, I wonder if that’s just “can’t kill off the main character” plotting or if there’s some specific reason they spared our reporter and not the other person. I suppose sticking the reporter in a makeshift cell might indicate a desire to kill her later though.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I have some theories...
Anyway, that last chapter from the fantastic novel is genuinely unnerving. Unless Bobby tried out some experimental writing, there was something very wrong with Josie.

Do you really have to hide in the eldritch device, that ascends human consciousness or are there alternate escape routes?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

No, I thought of that, I just didn't bring it up because now knowing the ending of the game I can sort of explain it, and I'm avoiding in thread spoilers for Mr. Spackage's sake.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Spoilered for those who haven't seen the video yet: Was that Wellington's corpse we saw there at the end? It had glasses and a bow tie on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose at this point it just comes down to opportunity. Who had the chance to kill?

...watch it be his grad student assistant, who we never even suspected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Spoilered for those who haven't seen the video yet: Was that Wellington's corpse we saw there at the end? It had glasses and a bow tie on.

_____yes___

• Locked thread