Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Even though I know in my heart that they're poor adaptations of the book and unnecessarily long, over-complicated, poorly paced, crappy-cgi filled, underdeveloped cash grabs I still love all the Hobbit movies just as much as I love the Lord of the Rings.

I also think Troma movies are great. They don't really make me laugh but I just really like watching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Lordshmee posted:

Mine is: The Postman. I guess it hit me right before cynicism destroyed my belief in American idealism. Plus the line, “I was at the battle of Georgetown, I watched the White House burn to the ground!” is badass.

this is the first one to make me recoil in horror from the screen. you should really get checked to see if you've been infected with some kind of brain parasite.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Waterworld

I just really liked the concept

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

not like a dbz fight scene payoff but i think walking into an eternity of being husband to horny sexy ladysatan and new king of hell (whatever that is since satan isnt who we picture it as) is provocative

My impression was that he simply got an audience with the devil, which is what Frank Langella explained in the beginning of the movie (if I remember correctly). My bigger gripe was that the payoff of what we actually see on screen is pretty weak. Lena Olin is inconsequential, Frank Langella doesn't really accost Depp or do anything sinister enough to really stand out as the antagonist, and the ending was rushed as hell after Langella tries to summon the devil and fails. Depp pretty much shrugs and walks away, decides to go back to check out the bookstore and randomly finds the other page. You can have the climax of your movie be in the denouement (e.g. The Usual Suspects), but there has to be a build up all the way to the credits. Depp just seems mildly interested with the last page and wanders on over to the burnt down building to see what's up. There was no apprehension or wild fascination that the character should have had at that point given what had happened and was happening.

Like I said, I still really enjoy the movie as a mood piece or something to put on in the background, it's just really sedate and doesn't ever spike into awful or great.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I feel like there's a little bit of difference between liking a movie because it is crazy and stupid and liking a movie in earnest.

Like, I enjoy Super Mario Bros because it's crazy and awful and watching it with friends to laugh at it is a great time, but I wouldn't say I think it's a good movie. Scott Pilgrim is a movie I genuinely enjoyed, thought was good, and have seen a bunch of times. Both are movies vaguely related to videogames that I like, but it's kinda different.

I'm not sure I'm actually ashamed about liking any movie, though. Well, maybe Mean Girls a little bit, I thought that was a fun movie but it is pretty girly.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

My impression was that he simply got an audience with the devil, which is what Frank Langella explained in the beginning
uh you realize the devil is a character in the movie right? depps character already had more than an audience with her. whether happenstance or fate or devil magic that delivers the last page to him he understands what it is. in langellas final scene he expressed his desire for it and unlike langellas character the devil wants or requires no incantation from him but opens the gate herself for him as he walks onward. another victim of female lust for depps dick

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I always really liked the last samurai. I'd usually watch it while slowly getting obliterated on a worknight alone in the basement, and I liked the theme of a disturbed alcoholic finding some sort of peace and redemption in life, even if it was another white guy to the rescue type movie. Although I managed to quit drinking and haven't watched it since.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I always really liked the last samurai. I'd usually watch it while slowly getting obliterated on a worknight alone in the basement, and I liked the theme of a disturbed alcoholic finding some sort of peace and redemption in life, even if it was another white guy to the rescue type movie. Although I managed to quit drinking and haven't watched it since.

drat, I had forgotten about it, I thought The Last Samurai was entertaining as hell, white savior trope be damned

Ken Watanabe is awesome

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Memoirs of an Invisible Man: it had Chevy Chase, got bad reviews, one of the few John Carpenter films without his name attached to the title, and it's not bad to watch on a sunday afternoon with nothing else to do

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
captain america: the first avenger
i like it. kiss my butt

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Mission To Mars

it's such dogshit. I've watched it like 30 times.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Secular Humanist posted:

Mission To Mars

i knew you had a thing for gary sinise

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Percelus posted:

i knew you had a thing for gary sinise

hes so good in apollo 13 its really satisfying when the oxygen tanks blow cause thats what those assholes get for kicking gary off their spaceship

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
first iron man movie was fun

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Secular Humanist posted:

Mission To Mars

That movie is a great example of how weird the rating system is. Several people die in horrific ways, but since there's no blood and the violence is caused by storms it's PG. One guy gets torn apart by a vortex and someone else gets a rock to the face.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Little Nicky.

can I wash my winky in your kitchen sinky?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Buckaroo Banzai is a fantastic movie and there is no reason to be ashamed of liking it.

I don’t know if the Robin Williams/Shelly Duvall Popeye movie is reviled but I remember it bombing commercially. I still like it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the guinea pig series.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
BASEketball

I don't have your loving ball!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

revenge of the nerds, it was the first time i saw bush and will always have a place in my heart.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I still regard The Waterboy as the last good Adam Sandler film.

Also Return of Swamp Thing is a cinematic masterpiece of constant monster-wrestling.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

wide stance posted:

Clifford.

A grown man playing a child with no make up or prosthetic is pretty funny in and of an of itself.

Hell yeah.

I probably should feel ashamed for liking these:

-Hot Rod
-Just Friends
-The Sitter
-Hellraiser II
-Flash Gordon
-He-Man
-Beastmaster
-Beastmaster II
-Willow
-Highlander 2 (loving HILARIOUS)
-Hot Tub Time Machine
-Superman III

There are more, but these are off the top of my head. There are other movies that I like that people will tell me I should feel ashamed for, but I won't. I probably love The Room too much, but I love that I notice new unintentionally funny moments in it every time I watch it.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Warlock: The Armageddon
The Faculty

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Manos: The Hands of Fate

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bitter fly posted:

Warlock: The Armageddon

Oh poo poo, Warlock had a sequel?!? Amazing!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Secular Humanist posted:

Mission To Mars

I liked Mission to Mars, but I think I've seen Red Planet a few more times.

14% on rotten tomatoes
Directed by a guy that had only made commercials and hasn't directed a feature film since.
Val Kilmer, Carrie Anne Moss, and Tom Sizermore.

Yeah I'd watch it again too. :blush:

This movie's loving hilarious. I've watched it with guy friends, girl friends, family members. They've all loved it.

"Hello, Joyce?"

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 8, 2017

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

this isn't technically the theme of the thread but it's a kind of shame, i'm ashamed of how often I watch Carpenter's The Thing

dozens of times just last month, almost every night this week

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

facebook jihad posted:

I watched Sandler’s That’s My Boy on cable about a year ago and found it funny in how dumb it was. Like I didn’t hate it, and I don’t think I liked it. But I definitely enjoyed my time watching it.

Is that what Adam Sandler is going for? Making movies that people can watch to marvel at how stupid they are?

in funny people adam sandler makes fun of seth rogan for making self-depreciating jokes. "man how you ever going to get laid talking like that?"

That is actually what adam sandler believes. All of his movies since anger management have him as either rich or cool, usually with a hot wife/girlfriend

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I still cannot comprehend why didn't people like John Carter. Everything was fine with it IMO.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Cool World

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Former DILF posted:

this isn't technically the theme of the thread but it's a kind of shame, i'm ashamed of how often I watch Carpenter's The Thing

dozens of times just last month, almost every night this week

i love that movie but god drat

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mental Hospitality posted:

This movie's loving hilarious. I've watched it with guy friends, girl friends, family members. They've all loved it.

"Hello, Joyce?"

It loving rules. My little brother and I both love it because of the interplay between the brothers. Rogue Wave also does the soundtrack. It's no Lake Michigan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlOl9LOUQ0g), but it's still pretty good.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I tried showing this to my gf recently because she'd never seen it and I had totally forgot that one of the main plot points is a butt-cringingly embarrassing sex scene between a cartoon lady and a real actor.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

abigserve posted:

in funny people adam sandler makes fun of seth rogan for making self-depreciating jokes. "man how you ever going to get laid talking like that?"

That is actually what adam sandler believes. All of his movies since anger management have him as either rich or cool, usually with a hot wife/girlfriend

his comedy album was endearing, the one with the sketch where he plays a goat, but now its obvious that he's just high functioning developmentally disabled

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenHeart posted:

I still regard The Waterboy as the last good Adam Sandler film.

At least you aren't the guy who said Little loving Nicky

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I tried showing this to my gf recently because she'd never seen it and I had totally forgot that one of the main plot points is a butt-cringingly embarrassing sex scene between a cartoon lady and a real actor.
The whole premise is Brad Pitt is a detective whose only responsibility is making sure that irl people don't gently caress cartoons and it's insanely bad/good

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

A Knight's Tale

it's so loving goofy and dumb as hell to watch medieval peasants chanting along to We Will Rock You and a bunch of nobles at a banquet dancing to David Bowie, but everyone outside of the lead actress puts on a really good performance and seems to be having such a great time.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Quote-Unquote posted:

A Knight's Tale

it's so loving goofy and dumb as hell to watch medieval peasants chanting along to We Will Rock You and a bunch of nobles at a banquet dancing to David Bowie, but everyone outside of the lead actress puts on a really good performance and seems to be having such a great time.

You're absolutely right, and everything you mentioned above that makes it goofy also makes it loving awesome. It's so sad that The Order, the next movie the director made (with mostly the same cast), was such a shitshow.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Rad

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0091817/

If you've seen Turbo Kid, the Dad cameo in that movie is played by the bmx kid from Rad. Guess I'll link Turbo Kid too.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3672742/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

Definitely not good movies, but p fun in that bad kinda way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Turbo kid is excellent

• Locked thread