Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Oldstench posted:

The Ninth Gate

Yeah, this is mine. It's not awful, it's just uninspired, has a lot of lazy acting/directing, and has a particularly weak payoff. But I love the atmosphere and just, like, riding around with Johnny Depp on his casual little adventure. It's like a double-length Rick Steves episode with a B-horror plot thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

not like a dbz fight scene payoff but i think walking into an eternity of being husband to horny sexy ladysatan and new king of hell (whatever that is since satan isnt who we picture it as) is provocative

My impression was that he simply got an audience with the devil, which is what Frank Langella explained in the beginning of the movie (if I remember correctly). My bigger gripe was that the payoff of what we actually see on screen is pretty weak. Lena Olin is inconsequential, Frank Langella doesn't really accost Depp or do anything sinister enough to really stand out as the antagonist, and the ending was rushed as hell after Langella tries to summon the devil and fails. Depp pretty much shrugs and walks away, decides to go back to check out the bookstore and randomly finds the other page. You can have the climax of your movie be in the denouement (e.g. The Usual Suspects), but there has to be a build up all the way to the credits. Depp just seems mildly interested with the last page and wanders on over to the burnt down building to see what's up. There was no apprehension or wild fascination that the character should have had at that point given what had happened and was happening.

Like I said, I still really enjoy the movie as a mood piece or something to put on in the background, it's just really sedate and doesn't ever spike into awful or great.

• Locked thread