Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

My Instagram is blowin' up 24/7.
This is me:

I live in a 1986 Dodge B250 Van. When I tell people about this lifestyle, I usually get one of two reactions; The most common of which is best summed up here:

quote:

You kids are probably saying to yourself, "Now, I'm gonna go out, and I'm gonna get the world by the tail and wrap it around and put it in my pocket!" Well, I'm here to tell you that you're probably gonna find out, as you go out there, that you're not gonna amount to jack squat!" You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river!
-Matt Foley

Nobody has ever been rude to me, but people just tend to think that i'm down on my luck. I've had people offer to buy me groceries, help me find casual work, or even for me to crash on their couch. On the one hand, it's comforting to know that if I really was in trouble there would be so many people willing to help me out. But I don't need help. I don't live in a van because I'm out of options, it's because I choose to. But it's always a little awkward when people think that I've screwed my life up.

Alternately, you've got the hipster mentality. Vice declared that living in a van is the new American dream, and many popular vandwelling instagrams try to showcase this lifestyle a freedom from all responsibilities.

"You could spend your youth grinding away at your job, paying rent and hating your life, or you could just say gently caress it and move into a van."

because I don't pay rent, many people assume that I live for virtually nothing, and that I simply spend my time driving around doing whatever I like, whenever I like. People often tell me that they've dreamed of doing the same thing, or generally make me the subject of envy for having seemingly unlimited freedom.

None of these are very accurate.

I have two sources of income. I run a couple of semi-successful websites and earn advertising revenue off of them. This is really my 'day to day' job, as I work on it with a fairly regular schedule and it provides me with my base-income.

Aside from that, i'm also an industrial automation technician. I work in the oil industry setting up and maintaining all of the computers and sensors that automate industrial systems. Realistically, this is more of a 'career' than the websites. It pays very well, and the job will be around for a long time. But with oil price being quite low, I only end up working a 4 to 5 week shift every 3 to 4 months.

These jobs go very well with my lifestyle as one requires travel, and the other can be done from anywhere I have an internet connection.

Here's the van itself. It's not exactly glamorous, and the work I put in is certainly not professional-grade. This was a passenger van I purchased for $500. Whipping it into mechanical shape cost me about $1750 in parts and several weeks of labor. Camperizing it was done over the course of a couple months and cost about $2000.

Here is what the van looks like during the day:

The Desk

The top drawer contains all of my cooking stuff. The bottom drawer contains my solar batteries, various tools, hygiene products, and other things I need to keep on hand. The table top on the left side lifts up to reveal a self-built cooler that keeps ice frozen for 4 to 5 days. On top, you can see some books, my LTE router, and a ridiculous 1980s stereo system I just couldn't bear to get rid of.

With just a single burger, I always prefer to cook outside when possible.

The office view on a nice day

Clean clothes (duffel) and laundry (blue bag) generally go under the bed, but get shoved into the front seat while it's in 'desk mode'

And here is what it looks like at night:

I wish I had a better photo of the bed with the internal lights on, but i'll I've got is this photo when I was doing some work on the wiring. Generally the natural light is much softer and cozier. The bed is about 5 inches shorter than a queen mattress, but 6 inches wider. I'm 6'2", so I usually sleep diagonally if I want to stretch out. The mattress was custom cut from a medium-density foam with a memory foam topper glued on. it's divided into four chunks so it can make a flat bed, or two seats with backrests.

This catalytic propane heater keeps me toasty, and sips fuel.

The Best Parts of Living in a Van:
I'm able to take trips to wherever I want. I don't have to spend much time packing or preparing. I just turn the key and drive off. This has lead me to be a lot more impulsive, but I've spent a lot of time doing things that I otherwise would have missed out on.

It also makes my trips a lot more comfortable. After 7 months on the road, the van definitely feels like my home. I can be in an entirely different city visiting friends. When I return to my van for the night, I get the same feeling that you have walking into your home after being away for a while.

The end result is that I can do things that would otherwise be outside of my comfort zone. For example, driving out to the west coast to camp in the forest and go surfing every day would be fun, but after a while you'll start to miss your own bed. With the van, I can head out and do these things for weeks at a time. Instead of feeling like a separate vacation to your everyday life, it just feels like a layer of icing over my usual day-to-day.

The Hardest Parts of Living in a Van:
The biggest problem I'm facing right now is humidity. With the heater running, a lot of condensation accumulates on the windows, the roof, and under my mattress. I have to flip the bed every day and dry it off, and make a conscious effort to let things air out and dry, and to wipe everything down with a rag.

Keeping it clean can also be a challenge. It only takes a matter of minutes from the van to go from spotless to a disaster, so I've got to do a complete clean after each of my daily activities.

before cooking, I have to put everything away, pull out all the food, make the meal, eat, then completely clean everything immediately. Any mess takes up counterpace that I need. things like dirty dishes or laundry can make the van smell bad in a hurry. You learn to have these little "reorganization" routines before each part of your day. Waking up, working, cooking, socializing, etc. Everything requires re-arranging if I want the van to feel comfortable.

Another challenge is cost. Living in a van will definitely save on rent, but these savings are all eliminated by additional expenses. A large V8 from the 80s costs a LOT more than your typical commuter car for gas. Then of course there is maintenance expenses, and an increased cost in food. I can't buy in bulk. I've got to buy my meals for a few days at a time, and sometimes less for things that spoil quickly.

One of the biggest adjustments was making GBS threads and showering. When I'm on the road, this means that waking up and going to the gym/pool has to be a part of my daily routine. I do have a bit of a home-base set up where I park in the yard of a large house. Here, I have access to the kitchen and bathroom, but I still have to get out of my van and walk into the house. When you need to take a leak at 2am and it's raining out, this isn't as fun. There is always the temptation to spend a casual day watching Netflix without getting out of bed, but then you've got to deal with feeling unclean.

Thinking about getting a van of your own? Want to know any specifics about my lifestyle? Just want to tell me that I'm nuts? Fire away:

Safety Meetings fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
Why a van as opposed to something like an RV? Just cost reasons?

Do you worry about people breaking into it, since you have your computer and other valuables in it?

How much food can you keep on hand at one time?

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Do you have a home security system installed (a gun)?

Are you afraid of bears?

Savage Bliss fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 28, 2017

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Living in the Bay Area, going rent free is the difference between fabulous wealth and abject poverty. I've been seriously considering this option for years. Probably won't ever be able to make the jump. I have too many family members I couldn't conceal it from. Probably not a great way to go, dating-wise either. Cool to see someone is making it work.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
How much a year do you spend on candy and masking tape?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Seriously if your going to live this lifestyle why not an rv?

That van looks cramped and uncomfortable.

A little truck and 2500-3000lb ultralight would give more room and probably cheaper gas. You'd have a kitchen and bathroom.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
More conspicuous. That's probably not exactly legal in most places in BC.

Also, less hipster cred.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why a van with windows? I'd think itd be safer without all that glass.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
What safety measures do you have to avoid dying from a gas leak in your sleep? Propane is heavier than air, so if the heater/tank for it aren't lower than your head with a path or escape down there pooled gas could vent through, you're at risk. Same with dry ice and CO2 if you use that in your cooler, instead of just regular ice.

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

quote:

Why a van as opposed to something like an RV? Just cost reasons?

quote:

Seriously if your going to live this lifestyle why not an rv?
That van looks cramped and uncomfortable.
A little truck and 2500-3000lb ultralight would give more room and probably cheaper gas. You'd have a kitchen and bathroom.

Like Ante said, being inconspicuous is definitely an advantage of the van. Before I owned this vehicle I had a Toyota Tacoma, so I definitely considered the trailer / camper route. But the campers were too small and the trailers took up to much space, which really limited my parking options. I wouldn't be able to haul up logging roads to find my own camping space, and when I went to a commercial camp ground i'd be forced into one of the RV spots which are little more than glorified parking lots for twice the price. Meanwhile, the van can go wherever I want it to, and it's the best compromise between size and space.

also hipster cred. My Instagram is blowin' up 24/7.

quote:

Do you worry about people breaking into it, since you have your computer and other valuables in it?
How much food can you keep on hand at one time?

I do actually worry about break-ins from time to time. If i'm leaving the van in a sketchy area I take my camera, computer monitor, and a few other valuables and stash them in the under-bed storage area so it's fairly hidden. My laptop usually comes with in in my backpack. But this is not a major concern most of the time.

My cooler has about twice the space of a mini fridge. I usually do a grocery shop once every 4 days. If i'm going camping for a longer period of time, I have a separate cooler I lug with me and pack a lot more dry food.

quote:

Living in the Bay Area, going rent free is the difference between fabulous wealth and abject poverty. I've been seriously considering this option for years. Probably won't ever be able to make the jump. I have too many family members I couldn't conceal it from. Probably not a great way to go, dating-wise either. Cool to see someone is making it work.

If keeping it secret is the only thing stopping you, my gut says that your family might be understanding than you think. I justified it to my parents just by saying that I like to travel. But I think "this is the most expensive city and i'll have to live off ramen noodles" is a much more understandable reason.

as for dating, it's a mixed bag. My current girlfriend loves the idea, and she's spent months at a time with me in the van. On the flip side, this is always an awkward conversation:

:shlick: : My place or yours?
:downs: I'll be driving my place to pick you up.

quote:

What safety measures do you have to avoid dying from a gas leak in your sleep? Propane is heavier than air, so if the heater/tank for it aren't lower than your head with a path or escape down there pooled gas could vent through, you're at risk. Same with dry ice and CO2 if you use that in your cooler, instead of just regular ice.

When the heater was installed I leak-checked the fittings with a bottle of snoop, and both the tank and the quick-connect fitting for it are located outside of the van. I have a carbon monoxide detector installed, and a GasClip MCG-IR LEL/O2/CO monitor clipped to the wall. I wouldn't recommend this exact setup to anyone else, but I already had the gas monitor for work.

quote:

Why a van with windows? I'd think itd be safer without all that glass.

The windows are an insulation problem, but I love having them when driving. Trying to parallel park a 17 foot van with no windows on the back sucks. Also: no blind spots!

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
RVing is considered one of the most wasteful and environmentally harmful activities somebody could carry out. I've noticed a lot of people that work in Oil & Gas, like yourself, find a keen interest in travelling western Canada in their gas guzzling vehicles. Most of these people are blissfully unaware, or espouse denialism, about the impending catastrophe of climate change.

Do you receive criticism for your lifestyle? Or do people confuse the free-spirited nature of seemingly modest van life, with the reality that it's just an indulgent hobby for semi-wealthy people.

Do you sometimes feel at odds that your lifestyle is built around enjoying nature, but your job and obsession with travelling is destroying that very thing you love.

In other words, how do you live with yourself? The answer is... In a van! haha!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
What region do you work in? Have near constantly drilling, Frack jobs and pulling units around here. Many time I see a computer crew , oxy has payed for a large double wide trailer for them to live in.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Alan Bennet, an English play writer and author wrote about a lady living in a van in his garden.

I doubt anything you can write can be entertaining as his take on vehicular accommodation.

A film was produced- The Lady In The Van.

It is a very funny, heartwarming film. I recommend you watch it.

Alan Bennet has produced and written all I need to know about living in a van.

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

Minge Binge posted:

RVing is considered one of the most wasteful and environmentally harmful activities somebody could carry out. I've noticed a lot of people that work in Oil & Gas, like yourself, find a keen interest in travelling western Canada in their gas guzzling vehicles. Most of these people are blissfully unaware, or espouse denialism, about the impending catastrophe of climate change.

Do you receive criticism for your lifestyle? Or do people confuse the free-spirited nature of seemingly modest van life, with the reality that it's just an indulgent hobby for semi-wealthy people.

Do you sometimes feel at odds that your lifestyle is built around enjoying nature, but your job and obsession with travelling is destroying that very thing you love.

I wish I was blissfully unaware of your posting.

quote:

What region do you work in? Have near constantly drilling, Frack jobs and pulling units around here. Many time I see a computer crew , oxy has payed for a large double wide trailer for them to live in.

I hope that one day i'll be an office schmuck. I've only been in this job for 4 years so I'm a field tech. I work all over the place. My last job was in Fort St John with Crew Energy, before that I was at Cenovus Christina Lake.

quote:

A film was produced- The Lady In The Van.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out... as soon as my cellular data resets.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Safety Meetings posted:

i guess it's easier to make a dumb quip than face the fact that you're loving over the world

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Slime posted:

i guess it's easier to make a dumb quip than face the fact that you're loving over the world

You're dumb as hell

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Slime posted:

People want natural gas for heat/electricity and oil for fuel/plastics.

Tragedy of the commons.

However if it does not come from one location, demand WILL be met from elsewhere.

The emissions will happen either way.
So from that perspective why not make money? Instead of letting some other guy make money?

If you want to do something good for the world, convince people to stop buying so much proverbial poo poo.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 30, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Question for the OP:

Did you kit out the van yourself?

Anything to else look for into doing this?
(Like you said humidity seems to be my number one concern doing something like this, and not having room to store your food/drink.)

How hard is it finding parts for your van?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Minge Binge posted:

Well, Tesla did just unveil their electric semi truck. If they can make that work, then someone could just as easily produce an electric RV.

The hard part would be making it reasonably affordable, what with the massive battery it would need.

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

Senor P. posted:

Question for the OP:

Did you kit out the van yourself?

Anything to else look for into doing this?
(Like you said humidity seems to be my number one concern doing something like this, and not having room to store your food/drink.)

How hard is it finding parts for your van?

Yep, it was a passenger van when I bought it. Humidity can be addressed by installing vapor barrier throughout the van (which is a pain) and by installing a roof vent / fan. But that requires chopping a hole in your roof, and also creates it's own set of insulation issues. Pretty much any issue is solvable, but the solution usually creates two or three more. If you're going to kit a van out yourself, it's more a matter of being aware of what your most important needs are, then solving those first. Some people to save money on a heater and just use 5 blankets. Others cut their fuel cost by getting a smaller van, and sacrifice amenities like being able to cook indoors.

I'd say the biggest issue you're run into is where to store all of your belongings. This is solvable, but requires a lot of planning. Before I built the van I gathered all of the things i'd need and laid them out based on how often i'd want to access them. Then I built everything around that.

For example, the top kitchen drawer is exactly the right size to store my butane stove, cutlery and dishes, flippers, and some pens / hand soap / generic things you need to use multiple times per day. On the other hand, i've got storage under the bed for things like extra jackets and clothes, tools, jumper cables, etc. I need everything in there, but I don't need it every day. so when I have to shuffle my blankets around to get at it, it's not such a big deal.

On the flip side, my girlfriend bought a van that was professionally camperized in the 80s. In some ways, it's a lot better because it wasn't built by somebody with approximately 40 minutes of construction experience. But we wind up storing poo poo in weird places because there is nowhere else for it to go. For example, we keep baking sheets and cutting boards in the bottom of her closet below all of her hung-up clothes. All of the cupboards are too small to fit them.

As for parts, I have no problems finding parts for it. Chrysler was almost bankrupt in the 80s, so to save costs they used as many generic parts available. When I changed my valve cover gaskets, I got ones made for a 1999 Dodge Truck. My windshield wiper motor is from a 1980 Plymouth sedan. If I had to get the motor swapped out, there is a long list of cars made between 1969 and 2000 that had a nearly identical engine to mine. I've changed a LOT of parts, and I've always found a local store that either has one in stock, or a pick-n-pull that has something sitting in their yard.

Even though the Dodge vans are the easiest to find parts for, this is pretty much true of any other American van. On the other hand, my mechanic likes to tell me that most of the parts in a VW Westfalia are made from "unobtanium."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does the fuzz ever hassle you this is important because if you sleep in your car, suddenly "you're a vagrant" or "what are you some kind of pervert" or "you need to stay 1000 feet away from that school".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Goon musician Satellite High brings you an appropriate track.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Minge Binge posted:

Honestly when you take into account he isn't heating/cooling a large house or apt that he isn't in most of them time, is there really that much of a 'net carbon' difference from a normie? I get the argument that a lot of these hippie 'live a simple life and save gaia' mantras are complete garbage, but I didn't really hear him espousing that kind of thing- he mostly just likes the mobility and freedom

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Safety Meetings posted:

You, I like!

So van living for a year or two is something I have considered. Like you, I have some opportunities to make 'good money' with my skills over a 3-4 month period, particularly in the Pacific NW. I'm a bit of a country boy and was raised learning some of those hard skills, so the adaptive part of this lifestyle doesn't make me scared. What does concern me is catastrophe. Outside of like, being injured, how do you feel about a worst-case-scenario out there on the road? Do you have people who could wire you money/be of any support if your van goes down and you are essentially homeless? I assume the oil money is that good that I think I know the answer. I guess I can see the sequence of events necessary for me in order to get into this lifestyle but I still fear its a pipe dream unless you are of some socioeconomic status.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
Compared to your girlfriend's van, how's noise and thermal insulation? It's hers much better than yours, or more or less the same?

Also, have you ever considered switching for anything more modern?

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
I follow all of the big hipster vanlife IG accounts, what’s yours?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
If you had an electric van you could maybe attach 5 100 watt solar panels to the roof and a small wind generator. It probably take awhile to charge up but that hippie poster will lay off.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Wind generators need too much height to be practical. They are also noisy as hell, and completely contradictory the stealth aspect.

Solar is great, but the amount needed to heat/cool with electricity is difficult to fit unless you blow a ton of money on lithium batteries and hydronic heat. My van has exactly one 100w panel that basically acts as an oversized trickle charger, and a large (416ah @ 12v) flooded lead acid battery bank connected to the alternator, and it works fine for weekend trips stationary and longer trips driving. But even a 200w space heater uses 25% of my battery in a night.

Electric heat would help with the OP's condensation though, as unvented propane burning is what is creating a shitload of moisture (beyond breathing).

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Wind generators need too much height to be practical. They are also noisy as hell, and completely contradictory the stealth aspect.

Solar is great, but the amount needed to heat/cool with electricity is difficult to fit unless you blow a ton of money on lithium batteries and hydronic heat. My van has exactly one 100w panel that basically acts as an oversized trickle charger, and a large (416ah @ 12v) flooded lead acid battery bank connected to the alternator, and it works fine for weekend trips stationary and longer trips driving. But even a 200w space heater uses 25% of my battery in a night.

Electric heat would help with the OP's condensation though, as unvented propane burning is what is creating a shitload of moisture (beyond breathing).

25% a night doesn't sound bad at all. Does it allow you to be comfortably warm at night?
With a panel that size, how long does it take on average to fully charge your battery?
How much did your setup cost you?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Super86 posted:

25% a night doesn't sound bad at all. Does it allow you to be comfortably warm at night?
With a panel that size, how long does it take on average to fully charge your battery?
How much did your setup cost you?

Keep in mind that you shouldn't take lead acid batteries (even deep cycle ones) below 50% capacity or they will be permanently damaged. The shallower the discharge, the longer they last.

When I used it, 200w resistance heat did not do much at 20°F, but everything had been sitting at that temp. If you parked a warm van after driving it would probably keep it nice long enough to get to sleep easily. Fortunately I had an electric heating pad and lots of blankets.

A 1000w heater (on an extension cord from an external source) was able to keep the van quite comfy though similar weather indefinitely, but you'd need a whole other level of battery/solar infrastructure to sustain that.

The 100w panel charges at 2 to 3 amps since it is not tiltable and just lying flat on top of my van (would be more like 5 to 5.5 if it could be aimed exactly at the sun) so filling a 416 amp-hour battery bank takes a very long time. A 25% discharge would consume 104 amp-hours, so charging at 2.5 amps would take... 41.6 hours of sunlight.

Fortunately the alternator can provide 20-40amps of charging, depending on the state of charge of the battery (it's easier to charge a battery the more empty it is).

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Keep in mind that you shouldn't take lead acid batteries (even deep cycle ones) below 50% capacity or they will be permanently damaged. The shallower the discharge, the longer they last.

When I used it, 200w resistance heat did not do much at 20°F, but everything had been sitting at that temp. If you parked a warm van after driving it would probably keep it nice long enough to get to sleep easily. Fortunately I had an electric heating pad and lots of blankets.

A 1000w heater (on an extension cord from an external source) was able to keep the van quite comfy though similar weather indefinitely, but you'd need a whole other level of battery/solar infrastructure to sustain that.

The 100w panel charges at 2 to 3 amps since it is not tiltable and just lying flat on top of my van (would be more like 5 to 5.5 if it could be aimed exactly at the sun) so filling a 416 amp-hour battery bank takes a very long time. A 25% discharge would consume 104 amp-hours, so charging at 2.5 amps would take... 41.6 hours of sunlight.

Fortunately the alternator can provide 20-40amps of charging, depending on the state of charge of the battery (it's easier to charge a battery the more empty it is).

What's the approximate cost of that setup?

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Kudos man. I respect the fact that you chose to do this and you're not messing around for a couple weeks just trying to be mobile.

I have been planning to live in my car for a couple of years now (it's been dependent on my dog passing away, which is a horrible-sounding caveat but she's 17 and blind and just KEEPS ON TICKIN!, so it keeps getting pushed back) but I keep buying more and more things, repacking my car, and then going for a short trip and then changing everything out for more efficiency and buying better stuff, and I still feel like I'm forgetting something. I put roof racks on my car for just being able to tie things to, and then I keep looking at roof boxes and should I get a tow-thingee so I can cart around just a "little more". etc.

I actually like to camp and I can afford campgrounds with no power/water and intermittent stays at motels for charging up, so I don't sleep in my car, (but I can, I'm really short and I can sleep across the back seats easily if I rearrange the cargo).

What things did you only upgrade/remember after some time that I have probably forgotten?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Super86 posted:

What's the approximate cost of that setup?

With the batteries, under $1000 all set up.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

Minge Binge posted:

Jesus Christ just end it already.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

faarcyde posted:

Jesus Christ just end it already.

I totally agree with you and I am still laughing but what in the seven hells makes ANYONE think that living in a van and driving around could possibly be more anti-nature than a house? And in principle, I have no problems with people wanting to live in a house! It's comfortable and warm and safe and awesome and perpetual.

I have a house. I use poo poo-loads of water and "natural" gas and electricity which is most likely created by burning coal or something. I'm sure that heating a 20 cubic foot van is just like heating my three-story house. :downs:

I waste a ton of food that I buy at the grocery store and it goes bad before I can use it, because MEH I didn't make a dish that needed cucumbers or green onions within 3 days and they got all slimy and gross. My fancy-rear end local organic bread goes bad in about 4 hours. I leave lights on that shouldn't be on because I'm a fallible human being. I take a shower for 30 minutes because it's 20 degrees here and the shower feels awesome. I water my lawn so my HOA doesn't charge me more money for being a gross home-owner with a lovely lawn.

What kind of silly person thinks that living in a car or RV of any kind could possibly be worse than having an entire house. I'm pretty sure that is a very world-wise "just-got-to-college" 18 year-old.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Ah poo poo, really? I have to jump-start my POS car all the time in the winter.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

then your battery is dead and you should replace it

especially since the temp at which a lead acid battery will freeze and split the case and spill electrolyte everywhere is higher and higher the more discharged it is

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
I assume there are batteries without all these drawbacks, just they're more expensive. Am I right?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

You just go to Advanced Auto/AutoZone and buy the 2nd tier up from the shittiest battery. Unless you live in the loving tundra or something. You should be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Do you ever find it hard to do laundry or keep the van clean? Imagine it can get pretty stinky after not too long. As for showering, I'm guessing you use any local gym?

Otherwise, you got my respect Van goon. I've had dreams about selling everything and living out of car/van but wasn't sure if I could handle the uncertainty of where I could park/sleep and eat.

• Locked thread