Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I recently acquired a 1981 Datsun 510 (I know, it's not a "real" Datsun 510) with a couple of friends.
It is now resting comfortably in my gravel driveway as I don't have a garage, paved driveway, or lift.

Current plan: Get it back into running shape, then engine/trans swap (we're not finalized on what yet, but we're leaning towards a BEAMS)

She's a beaut. Previous owner was still daily driving it (205,000 miles young) until they gave a little love tap to a deer:

At some point we'll have to remount the seat.

Interior is in surprisingly good shape:

One rust damaged and one deer damaged fender removal later:

I don't know how there isn't more rust on this. That must be my Michigan native talking:

It is so a real Datsun 510, it says so right on the badge:

Not pictured: Everything lower than the valve cover absolutely coated in oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm really excited to see what else is in this bondo-and-fiberglass menagerie.

I haven't seen a False Dime in years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My parents had one of these, an '80 I believe, so I have a soft spot for them, even if they're not the "real" deal.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm really excited to see what else is in this bondo-and-fiberglass menagerie.

I haven't seen a False Dime in years.

I'm finding out exactly how uncommon they are looking for parts and information on them.
Thankfully we're bondo-and-fiberglass free....for now.

Here are the other occupants of my driveway:
1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible

2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4.7L

2008 BMW 335i

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I dig your woodsy neighborhood.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How has the BMW been for you? I wanted to get one back when i was shopping for a car but was turned off by all the issues that were reported with them.

Also congrats on the Z, will be watching this thread.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How has the BMW been for you? I wanted to get one back when i was shopping for a car but was turned off by all the issues that were reported with them.

Extended warranty. It's lightly modded but I'll let nadmonk explain because I can't remember what has aside from a flash and some piping.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's been pretty good to me (for expected BMW reliability). The HPFP had already been replaced when I got it.
They replaced it again in the process of hunting down a cylinder misfire (and two of the ignition coils), but I honestly think the spark plugs were just in need of replacement.
That was all covered under warranty, so no complaints here. And beyond that, I stay on top of maintenance.

Since that was sorted out, the only other issue was the vacuum lines for the bypass valves and turbos (@116,000 miles), because German car manufactures can't seem to make synthetic materials with longevity.

I haven't had the issues some have reported with the injectors (I think those were limited to a manufacturing run) or oil leaks at the turbo.

Right now I'm running a Procede Stage 1 OTS tune on it with dual cone intakes and an VR Speed charge pipe.
I haven't had it on a dyno, but people running the same set up have reported 400-420 hp at the crank.

And I absolutely love that thing, it is a blast to drive. Ideally I'd like to throw on a Cobb turbo-back exhaust and larger intercooler. I do think I am at the upper limit of what the low pressure fuel pump can handle when at WOT, so anything more and I'll probably want to upgrade that.

Which I am clearly facilitating by embarking on a project car. And thanks, I'm excited about the Datsun.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Do you have any of the diagnostic tools for the BMW. I can't stress how useful they have been for me, saving lots of time and trouble.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Sgt Fox posted:

Do you have any of the diagnostic tools for the BMW. I can't stress how useful they have been for me, saving lots of time and trouble.

Right now all I have an OpenFlash tablet to pull ECU codes, changing the mappings, etc, but not the full suite of BMW diag tools.
What would you recommend?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

I got some goodies for the Datsun this weekend: hood, fender, grill, 2 door mirrors, bumper gap filler.
And I only had to drive 130 miles to find them.

The pine needles are to protect the parts during transit.

The grill roughly mocked up where it needs to be:

Top view showing how far we have to bring the radiator support out:

Drivers side radiator support damage:

Compared to passenger side:

Everything below the valve cover is caked with at least 2 decades of leaked oil and dirt. You can see some of the block's original color showing through.

One of the less caked on places:

Driver's side of the engine block after some manual scraping:

The Simple Green didn't really seem to touch it, I think I'll have to wait for the steam cleaner to really get that taken care of.

Other miscellaneous automotive things done today:
Replaced thermostat in the Saab.
Flushed the power steering fluid in the BMW again.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

You need to get some of the Zep brand Purple Power cleaner. It's like simple green on steroids. Fair warning - use gloves while using it or it will turn your skin into slime.

It does a fantastic job of cleaning, though. Spray it on, let it soak, give it a scrub with a soft bristle brush if you're feeling motivated, and rinse it off.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

nadmonk posted:

Right now all I have an OpenFlash tablet to pull ECU codes, changing the mappings, etc, but not the full suite of BMW diag tools.
What would you recommend?

If you want to go the official BMW route, you can get a VM of the BMW tools and a bimmergeeks cable. I found the tools slow and very much in german, so I don't use them aside from coding.

The one I personally like is the Foxwell NT510 (http://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html) in BMW flavour. It has just as much available as INPA, and has lifetime updates as well. ECS tuning rebrands it as the Schauwaben. Live data, injector coding, allows you to manipulate individual module functions, like drive the headlights from one position to the other or play a test tone in each speaker etc.

Other people seem to like Carly for Android. You would need a cable and the software. Personally I preferred the cable for coding and the Foxwell for troubleshooting. Simpler to just plug in a handheld.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have a stack of those HRC stickers in my desk...

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Sgt Fox posted:

If you want to go the official BMW route, you can get a VM of the BMW tools and a bimmergeeks cable. I found the tools slow and very much in german, so I don't use them aside from coding.

The one I personally like is the Foxwell NT510 (http://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html) in BMW flavour. It has just as much available as INPA, and has lifetime updates as well. ECS tuning rebrands it as the Schauwaben. Live data, injector coding, allows you to manipulate individual module functions, like drive the headlights from one position to the other or play a test tone in each speaker etc.

Other people seem to like Carly for Android. You would need a cable and the software. Personally I preferred the cable for coding and the Foxwell for troubleshooting. Simpler to just plug in a handheld.

Thanks, I'll have to check out the Foxwell. The OpenFlash tablet already lets me mess with all of the ECU tuning, read the DME, etc. But I don't believe I can mess with CIP/PROGMAN, so if I want to add bluetooth, code new injectors (OpenFlash did have that on their roadmap, but as of 4 years ago, nothing) I'd need the BMW tools.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Do you know which part sucks? The Saab 9-3 heater control rod aka The Saab Toilet Paper Holder.
Prone to breaking frequently and only $20+ a pop:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why is it a two piece shaft like that, so you can install it?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

I'm guessing. Honestly, it's just as easy to take the controls out, put the shaft in place in place, then join the controls with the other end, which wouldn't require that spring loaded two piece design.
In the SAAB 900, then actually had that as a small metal shaft with universal joints on either end. Unfotunately, the ends are different, otherwise I'd just use that.
I'm guessing this part was just a whole lot cheaper than the old style

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

nadmonk posted:

I'm guessing. Honestly, it's just as easy to take the controls out, put the shaft in place in place, then join the controls with the other end, which wouldn't require that spring loaded two piece design.
In the SAAB 900, then actually had that as a small metal shaft with universal joints on either end. Unfotunately, the ends are different, otherwise I'd just use that.
I'm guessing this part was just a whole lot cheaper than the old style

Guessing this is post GM buyout?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like how your driveway is just leaves dirt and pine needles. It looks hungry for some bolts nuts and washers.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Poisonlizard posted:

Guessing this is post GM buyout?

That 9-3 was the very first post buy-out model. It was mostly still Saab, but little things sneaking in here and there (like crappy transmission mounts).

Actually, I just donated that car today (too loud on long trips, developed a vibration during acceleration/deceleration, leaked through the top, steering system leak).

And replaced it with a....

2005 Saab 9-3

This one is in much better shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

StormDrain posted:

I like how your driveway is just leaves dirt and pine needles. It looks hungry for some bolts nuts and washers.

So many bolts and washer lost to this driveway. Archaeologists in the future will be able to rebuild a car from what I've lost in that mulch.

• Locked thread