Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Jesus, some of this game is painful to watch. "Emotionally hard" is a good way to put it. Definitely not the depth I'd expect for the series that has "killing mecha-hitler" as its defining moment. Although, surely they could wait until after reattaching your head before asking you waht snazzy piece of gear you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's interesting how on the contraption screen, the names of the first-tier ability for each one are in German whereas all the others are English. I think the implication is that while the Nazis developed the basic device, Set's improved them and added all these cool extra abilities.

Also did I miss something or did you deliberately not mouse-over the one called "Terror-Billy"?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

OAquinas posted:

That's the one I described, where the horror at seeing Nazi-murder made flesh in BJ--back from the dead--causes them to pause for a moment before they can properly react.

Holy crap this is the best powerup.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, uh, this is not the turn I expected this game to take. And for a second there, I thought that BJ was about to aim the cannon for a direct hit on the ausmerzer...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AradoBalanga posted:

One thing I find interesting about this section is that Hitler is using the older Luger model (aka, what TNO called the 1946 pistol) despite the much more modernized one that B.J. wields being available. It's jarring that with all the advanced technology at his disposal, Hitler instead chooses to use a gun that is almost 20 years out of date. Maybe it's the only model he can reliably wield given his current physical state, I guess?

I wouldn't say it's unusual, this is just the Nazi version of the boss being a cranky old man and refusing to give up his 10-year-old laptop/smartphone because "it works just fine" and he's got it set up just the way he likes it, so why can't you make it just work with email and why do I have to enter a password anyway, my nephew doesn't have to type in a password when he uses his microsoft

There's some poor bastard somewhere who keeps getting angry telegrams from the brass asking why his munitions factory is always operating below efficiency standards and missing shipment deadlines, because they don't understand why he has to sporadically shut half the plant down and retool the production line to produce a handful of bullets and magazines for a weapon everyone stopped using twenty years ago.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You know, I am a bit disappointed with how the "terror-billy" powerup/ability works. Why should it slow down time? What it should do instead is have all affected NPCs freeze in horror for a short duration - I was expecting a bunch of terrified "mein gott" soundbites, but instead we just get a little bullet time.

Anyway, I am so glad about the change of tone. Although poor Sigrun is still having a bad time, and I hope she doesn't (get pissed off enough to) turn traitor again.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kadorhal posted:

Although I do agree that it's wasted potential, in that it's described as enemies freezing in horror at the sight of Terror-Billy coming back from actual death but depicted as nothing of the sort. Not enough games have enemies show actual, proper terror at the protagonist's ability to go through huge swathes of them without breaking a sweat.
Exactly. Both our idea and what the game does are exactly the same thing in terms of game mechanics - when the player is spotted, the enemy NPC slows/stops for a moment before resuming normal behaviour. Why the devs missed this opportunity is beyond me, given all the other crazy stuff that happens in this game.

Does anyone else think that the non-stomping-hitler scene was also an indication to the player that old uncle adolf's no longer more than a fgurehead? That is to say that things have moved on and the real problem is now the many other people under him who are actually running the reich. That said, I still hope there is a redux of the mecha-hitler chaingun duel from Wolf3D.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seeing that sequence again really makes me feel sorry for Sigrun, she literally saved everyone's lives and is getting poo poo for it. I erally hope she's not in the room when we put a bullet through Frau Engel's head, that would be the last thing she needs to deal with.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I guess I'm also looking forward to Bombate getting his comeuppance. This is once again not this sort of thing I was expecting to be thinking about in the "shoot nazi robots with laser guns" game, but I am definitely not complaining about this turn of events.

Also thinking about the introduction to the party scene, having blazcowicz walk into the room you are standing in with guns drawn and then intentionally surprising him doesn't seem like the safest thing to do.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I didn't play the previous game but did Wyatt always talk like that or has the LSD somehow made him start using those stereotypical hippy phrases?
It's interesting seeing how Wyatt and Fergus cope with the trauma they've been through. Fergus has his robot arm doing crazy stuff presumably guided by subconscious self-loathing, and well, Wyatt is just tripping balls to escape reality and the responsibility that's been dropped on him. Although it's ironic because up until he got on the drugs he has shown a few flashes of the ability to lead that everyone was hoping for of him.

The only thing is, Fergus' situation seems to be resolving itself through a series of hilarious sitcom-like events, whereas I can see Wyatt's inevitable intervention being pretty heavy. I hope it doesn't bring the second half of the game down too much, because the first half is so goddamn melodramatic that I feel like the second part really needs to be as over the top as it can just to balance things out.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think what pisses me off about the robot enemies is that they really don't move like you or anyone else. It's like you're playing call of duty, but they're playing quake.

Is it just me or is the Wyatt diesel grenade launcher thing much better at taking out clumps of squishy enemies rather than single armoured targets?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Man, the SMG just doesn't seem to keep up with the other weapons. Sure it can take out a few unarmoured targets before its clip runs out, but even in that department a single well placed shot from the diesel gun would have it outclassed. On the other hand, the shotguns in this game :black101:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The machine gun has armour piercing as an upgrade, right? I'd be interested to see how quickly two of those shred an armoured soldier.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, didn't Grace respond to Fergus trading insults with her in a similar way? And speaking of Fergus, did I miss an update or are we yet to see what Wyatt gets up to at the party?

And I don't blame you for getting lost on the Ausmerzer, everywhere does look pretty samey. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't put up signs and lines on the walls/floor to indicate how to get around the ship - would have made sense from the point of view of the crew as well as gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I guess they included the line about needing to be up close, but I was half expecting to be able to throw the axe from offscreen and then walk on with a "Hi, I'm Terror-Billy Blazkowicz".

Two things are bugging me, but perhaps they come up in the postgame: who has the Ausmerzer now, and did Fergus manage to smooth things over with Maria?

• Locked thread