Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

YOU WILL ALL BURN IN HELL

CURB YOUR DOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was just reminded of this children's book because of something I read on the forums and now I need to track down a copy.

I don't even remember if it was good or not I just remember the cover.

(I believe this is the original:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That was a lot of money back then, confirm/deny?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I haven't read this one so I don't know if it's wonderful and it probably isn't weird, but I thought the title was pretty wonderful.

Dicks - Biographies of great men elevated to statuehood

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Horace posted:

Here's a very wonderful book. It's so big (each page is A3 size) it comes in its own plastic case with carry handle.

Inside are 800 pages of aerial photography, covering every last inch of England.

When it came out, in 2001, aerial photography on this scale was still quite novel, and it was exciting sitting around with people looking up various personal and public landmarks.

The scale varies depending on whether the area is built up or just fields. There are a lot of pages of fields.

Google Earth was released around the same time as this book, instantly rendering it obsolete as anything other than a coffee table book for people with very strong coffee tables. Not that it was ever intended as anything else.

You can pick up a copy for next to nothing from the usual used book places, and although it's obviously useless compared to Google Maps, I'd still recommend it if you have the space. It's just so nice to get lost in. Plus what if your internet goes out and you need to know what the roofs of Cleckheaton looked like 20 years ago?

How does it handle areas that they can't publish an actual photograph of?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Air force bases and nuclear submarine pens?

(Although you specified England and not UK so I doubt the latter applies.)

Yeah plus certain other installations of that ilk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought an older (1910s I think) big-rear end history book once just for the really exquisite colour plates of art (colours are like 40000 times more vibrant than I've ever seen in a more recent book or, of course, via a display of any sort) but I kind of regret it because I'm never going to hang them up on the walls because the book is in decent nick.

I look at them every few years and contemplate the 10€ I could've saved.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The big flea market down the road has some café tables near the door and there's always one or two professional or would-be professional buyers sitting there behind metre-high stacks of records, comics, and/or books, armed with a twelve-pack of Ronsonol and depression.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Just in time for Christmas, here are some goofy spooky Halloween type books I've been meaning to post here:

The axe murder book is the only Scholastic book I own.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Never met a book I didn't want to read.

I've read plenty of books I wish I hadn't read.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I'm glad I read that so I can freely talk poo poo to Randroids.

This is like my reasoning for drinking IPAs and sour ales.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I haven't read this book, don't know if it's any good, have never even heard of it before, but I think we can all agree on the fact that "The Dead Cleans Their Trousers" is the best title for a crime novel ever:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nessa posted:

Oh yeah, it’s crazy hard to get published, even now. Competition is fierce.

I think it’s good for people to be able to compile their memoirs or family histories to give to family, or for authors to be able to print, package and sell their own books. It’s especially good for stuff like comics, which I want us to do more of.

There's also actual publishers nowadays who wouldn't exist if places to knock out cheap books didn't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Westlake's Bank Shot was published in Finnish with a much more apt title "Ottakaa pankki kiinni!" ("Catch that Bank!")

He's one of my favourite authors.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone post the Gospel Blimp TIA.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I assumed you were talking about the comic, but when I was scanning that I noticed an ad for a book with the same title:

I had no idea this existed! I just ordered a cheap copy.

Anyway, I'll be posting the comic in the magazine thread in a few minutes.

Jemus. But it makes sense. There's no Satanic story weird enough that it hasn't been published as a book foremost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen the actual cover before:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

That's, uh, one interpretation of what Hobbit feet look like

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

whats the gist of this one lol

Ur parents' diary.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait, there's a loving tonttu cult :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My dad had two or three Däniken books and I read them as a kid and was all :monocle: but then my dad told me he was a complete fraud and I'd never been more disappointed in my life :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

He lost a lot of credibility when he published a book saying he found a secret cave in Ecuador full of alien stuff. A reporter tracked down his guide and said guide revealed that expedition never happened.

...or did it? :tinfoil:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Well where am I supposed to toss my cigar-ends?!

Hide them in your wife's rear end when you're eating her rear end.

(Don't do this!)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Got some new ones

This is a 2nd ed of this particular princeton press printing from '45:

First ed signed, been looking for this for a while:

Neal Stephenson's signature looks like Armas Paskiainen:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-Pad posted:

A random old paperback I found that I haven't read yet. I've said my whole life I would be a space janitor if it meant I could go live in space so a book about one is perfect for me:

I'm sure I got Planetfall (the game) for free on gog.com but now I can't even find it on the site. It's still in my GOG library though :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the nude person being tongue-lassoed by an Aliexpress decanter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

I would like to know more about the Terrible Sand Pit Tragedy

It wasn't nice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This isn't weird and I haven't read it but I was browsing a publisher's website and ran across this, and the sheer matter-of-factness of it made me smile:

"Jesse the Middle Ages Dog"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought the guy only knew Portuguese, but used a French phrasebook for Portuguese-speakers first, and then translated the French phrases with a French-English dictionary? At least that's how I remember from Readers' Digest back in the 80s.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have the Complete Works of Robert Louis Stevenson in one volume and last year I found out it's missing like... two pieces he published :( It's got all the novels and poems and short stories, though... I THINK :tinfoil:

(Oddly enough I can't find a picture of the exact edition I have on-line but it's red and has very thin pages so there.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tac Dibar posted:

Man, what I wouldn’t I give to have this in audiobook form as read by Stephen Fry, for example. The dialogues could be between him and Rowan Atkinson, or someone else who could read it with a straight face.

Gilbert Gottfried and Brian BlessedBobcat Goldthwait.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Don't you loving try" said Anttila of his shadow. (I have no idea where this got blurry, looks fine in my phone gallery, sorry.)

I gave him the wounds and the ointments, said Alafree when he hit with a booze bottle. (Southern Ostrobothnia)

A drunkard makes careful use of the road. (Southern Karelia)

This lesson wouldn't be lost on others, said the bell-ringer when he was drunk and beaten by the wife. (Finland Proper)

No matter how drunk one gets, it's never the same as being sober. (Newland)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 21, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Happy 100th Birthday to one of the greats:

Hbd to a real one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nishi koichi posted:

found this odd booklet in a little free library the other day:

no shorties allowed:

there are RULES, young man

joe must have been reading this one

trap her against the sofa

MAOR

LIEK

THE

FART

OF

PISSING

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snagging is when a tree trunk catches your riverboat and you drown.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Blimp attack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzk3XZQMI88

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There was a rather successful series of soft-cover books published by Werner Söderström from the 1930s to the 40s. It's name was literally "Ten-mark novels", so the price printed on the cover also served as a logo. But printing a thick novel costs more than printing a normal-length novel. The solution:

(As far as I know this is the only double-double-ten-mark novel in the series.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I just picked up this paperback from 1943:

Is it... a guide?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gonna do some "jack-rolling" while sober, so sue me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have steered clear of reading anything written by self-described "hackers" ever since I was browsing the Jargon File like twenty years ago and came upon

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/appendixb.html