Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I just got this one in the mail after it was recommended in another thread (the lol at Trump thread?) as a good post-apocalyptic novel. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

Nevil Shute is a pretty good writer, If you like that I'd recommend "No Highway" and "A town like Alice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Choco1980 posted:

I totally had that Dune kids book when I was super little. That or my brother got it from the school library or something. It's weird, for a hot second Dune was on the Star Wars train of marketing sci fi to kids as a cash cow. Then like, the movie actually came out and people started watching it and um, well that hot second ended.

They really tried:
https://www.pinterest.com/bctoyscollectib/dune-toys-collectibles-by-ljn-1984/

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'd like to think that the jacket designer deliberately chose a font with a K that looks a lot like an H.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I can only hope that this takes place in the same universe and "The Big Bus".

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Found in a thrift store in Vancouver, there were about 20 but this had the most racist cover. I kind of regret not buying them but I have nowhere to store more books.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
You can use an eraser to get rid of left over lable goo but not on older books with foxed covers I suspect.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I picked this up years ago in a second hand book store in Hong Kong. I find that places that people retire to are great for finding weird old books, because no relative is going to schlep grandads musty old books home, they just donate them.
Anyway, the former Bond girl teaches us the basics of self defense by stylishy beating up a succession of overly handy toughs.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

My charity shop find this weekend, It's a 3rd edition from 1930. When I saw it in the basket beneath a Tom Clancy I made a noise that caused a nearby child to back away from me. How it ended up in Beijing is a mystery.
If you want to read it, and you do, it's online here: https://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/carp/index.html

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Droogie posted:

I have, I think for a year or so, said to myself that I'm going to post here, but I'm a terminal lurker.

Been going through our books lately and we definitely have a collection of oddball books because they're odd and wonderful.

Here are a few of mine.

A 1970's book for children that I'm sure sealed the fate of turtles under a certain size being barred from sale except to educators:

Random thrift find, from the 50's

A fun and scary thrift find, a list of organizations and publications deemed subversive to the US government from 1951

A 1950 booklet-

A tiny little booklet that is little more than 'bible scholar chick tracting' without the illustrations, But I love the cover and the size, it's about 5"x3"

This absolute banger from 1964 I found while I was still in a LEO job. Far more compassionate than current standards, even if the language is of the era.

And here is my unusual rabbit hole- terrible books about Indigenous Americans.

I am indigenous and have an extremely fraught relationship with it, I may have written a little about it in PMF, and if I haven't already I should post some of it. It's messy, it's mentally taxing.

But I love, love love, terrible books about southwest Native Americans because it's writing about who I am and who I grew up knowing and being. It's important for me to collect these things that are utterly cringe-inducing.

This is a 60's reprint of a 50's boy scout merit badge book on "Indian Lore"

This is a personal favorite of mine- a booklet originally copyrighted in 1949, this one is from the late 50s.

My grandparents didn't even get the ability to vote in reality without massive roadblocks until 1965. Think about that when looking at these-

I recently learned about- and was horrified by, a book published in 1922 that my great grandmother contributed to, but it's in regards to my own cultural identity, and I'm not going to make others consider unless people are interested in that and this survivor of a thread.

Feels good to finally post here.

These are all awesome (and terrible). I have a fascination with weird old racist books like this, thanks for posting them. (Indian Lore is still a merit badge btw, probably still awful. Boy Scouts USA is infested with hokey fake Indigenous stuff)

yaffle fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man you'd never guess R. Crumb had a fetish, would you?

A fetish? A? He's got them all AFAIK.