Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

it's xenforo so ban for forum-less or forum-css

boo this joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jabor posted:

also there's the gay oil wrestling shower murder scene

ender's game is full of homoeroticism. the narration waxes on about how beautiful the (naked) boys are, but barely bothers to describe the one token girl, and alai and ender's relationship is treated pseudo-romantically

nothing inherently wrong with that, but combined with osc's stated views on gay people (and uh, the fact that he also wrote songmaster) it has some implications

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
plot-critical naked preteen wrestlefight

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hmm, osc’s public hatred of Star Trek must be some “not a pedophile” virtue signalling

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
enders game might be a fun read when your ten or twelve but i read it in my twenties and thought it was tepid garbage

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

OCAU migrated from some ancient vbulletin to xenforo and tbh xen looks worse and seems less featureful

yeah but zenforum has gradients on the buttons and mouseover js

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do we really need two threads about wizards

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pram posted:

do we really need two threads about wizards

i vote yes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

~Coxy posted:

OCAU migrated from some ancient vbulletin to xenforo and tbh xen looks worse and seems less featureful

every new forum looks like rear end somehow. discourse is the worst offender

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
new forum goon project. I’ll start the wiki

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Actually a forum goon goon forum project doesn't need a wiki but a forum goon goon forum forum, goon.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'll write it in six months, in erlang, for free!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

uh, unless you use an even more esoteric language on that vm i dont think thats possible

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
the elixir-based forums are real and strong

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
write the forums in anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i'll write it in six months, in erlang, for free!

in fact it’s already mostly production ready you just can’t see/use it yet

pram
Jun 10, 2001
elixir titan was the best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

in fact it’s already mostly production ready you just can’t see/use it yet

the 50% that's done is 100% production ready, god, how hard is that to understand?

but, uh, i have personal reasons for abandoning the project now

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
write the forums in perl

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

RISCy Business posted:

write the forums in perl

pretty sure a large amount of crap here already is, unless zdr has manged to prune some of it out

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if it were something I could replace my full time job with I think it'd be cool to write a greenfield implementation of these forums.

but it isn't so....

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just googling for forums chat and :lol: 20 Popular Forums Web Designers Shouldn’t Miss is a steaming mountain of garbage.

I'm highly tempted to prototype something but it most likely would revolve around realtime content. I'm not a fan of static content but it's also not Slack which encourages more throwaway conversations. It's easy to see that bikeshedding would be a major issue in development.

Also, this is amazing: how to create a forum from scratch.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
ive said it before and ill never shut up: citadel

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Goes great with my server running Linux from Scratch!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

That wouldn't be a bad idea for a screencast/tutorial if the language and author were competent.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not bad. at least its using foreign keys and not telling you to put it all in mongo or redis

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

maybe post anchor tags work out of the box with xenforo so i don't have to do this

$(document).undelegate('td.postbody a', 'click');

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

RISCy Business posted:

write the forums in perl

just use slashcode

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

akadajet posted:

if it were something I could replace my full time job with I think it'd be cool to write a greenfield implementation of these forums.

but it isn't so....

the first 10% of writing forums is fun. then you discover that there's a million features that you need that all boil down to completely straightforward and tedious crud operations, and either you slog endlessly through that or you try to come up with a clever abstraction that makes it so that you don't have to manually implement all these things and spend the next year huffing your own farts rather than writing forums

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

akadajet posted:

maybe post anchor tags work out of the box with xenforo so i don't have to do this

$(document).undelegate('td.postbody a', 'click');

isn't this a browser problem?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

isn't this a browser problem?

it's a problem with the browser because legacy code is broken. it's a problem with the forums because they need to fix their ancient jquery "scroll to post" code that's now failing.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plorkyeran posted:

the first 10% of writing forums is fun. then you discover that there's a million features that you need that all boil down to completely straightforward and tedious crud operations, and either you slog endlessly through that or you try to come up with a clever abstraction that makes it so that you don't have to manually implement all these things and spend the next year huffing your own farts rather than writing forums

yep. what you need is a phased forums transition plan.

first, create a front end on top of the existing forum.
then create a caching layer database that does write-through replication of database transactions.
slowly implement more and more of the forum features such that fewer ops rely on the old forums.
crawl the old forum to pull all content into the caching layer.
turn off the write-back, run entirely off of new database.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Post a sample of the database and structure and label it all as best you can and have goons write the ETL scripts targeting xenforo all on github and it would be done in weeks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

emoji posted:

Post a sample of the database and structure and label it all as best you can

lol

bitfields. bitfields as far as the eye can see

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

emoji posted:

Post a sample of the database and structure and label it all as best you can and have goons write the ETL scripts targeting xenforo all on github and it would be done in weeks.

i'll start the wiki

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Well all you need is status for platinum, archives, and no ads. Throw everything else out which I guess would be forums cancer and forum specific hellbans all that garbage

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wouldn't probation/ban/permaban also be statuses?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dont forget the text fields for the copyright year and timezone that fucks everything up if it's broken or missing, or whatever it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

osc is loving weird. speaker for the dead and onwards had basically nothing to do with enders game. enders shadow and whatever the hell is going on over there, now with a completely different author, was p deece

• Locked thread