Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

I kinda am too but it was worth surprising my parents for Christmas. They worry about me, go figure

You can always go back.....ROAD TRIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
But first I need to borrow Rhynos new Jeep

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pretty tired of hauling off house/shop/remodeling/farm trash in my limited free time, so I just signed a contract on a 2 yard dumpster with weekly pickup, for $80/month.

Those piles of junk the PO left in the woods are on borrowed time (seriously who does this? Putting on a new roof?....hell just dump the old shingles and felt back there, right beside the walking path).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

But first I need to borrow Rhynos new Jeep

That's what the Bug is for! What better way to put it through it's paces than a road trip across the country?

Hang out back at the Hostel till winter is over then head up to Colorado or wherever else you're gonna go.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's what the Bug is for! What better way to put it through it's paces than a road trip across the country?

Yeah but i dont want to burn the Bug down

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cool. Just make sure they are actually Florida cars first, lots of people drive down their garbage and then try to sell them off here. Do all the VIN checks yadda yadda.

That Boxster I bought near Daytona had a salvage title. Sold it back to the friend who parked it for me for a couple weeks, and when he tried to register it, the inspector didn't notice the salvage branding and gave it a clean title. I wonder if it was a rare error or if the DMV is lax all over.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Pretty tired of hauling off house/shop/remodeling/farm trash in my limited free time, so I just signed a contract on a 2 yard dumpster with weekly pickup, for $80/month.

Those piles of junk the PO left in the woods are on borrowed time (seriously who does this? Putting on a new roof?....hell just dump the old shingles and felt back there, right beside the walking path).

Dumpster contracts are some of the worst. Advanced disposal just asked me to sign a 5 year auto renewing contract with no price or service guarantee. Previous company was 3 year auto renew but advanced disposal bought them out and promptly raised my rate. Its $42 for monthly pickup of a 3 yard dumpster, which I thought was fair given that I live in the middle of nowhere. But that 5 year auto renewing contract will just sit on my desk, not signing that.

Also the P.O. of my place did the same poo poo but had the courtesy to bury it. Or let the weeds grow so tall we couldn’t see it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

We'll see how this shakes out. I live a very long way out in the county - honestly I was afraid it would be more.

I didn't discuss any larger cans with a monthly rate (their next size up is a 4yd), cause the life cycle of a house fly from egg to adult is about nine days, and I live in SC :v: .

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, having someone else pick it up is awesome. Didn’t mean to detract from that. Prior to the dumpster we pitched it all into the livestock trailer and I took it to the landfill, that was $28 and 2 hours time to empty it, and the trailer was essentially unusable.

Semi related to the fly bit we started feeding a mineral to our animals with an insect growth regulator in it. I think its nutrebeef summer. There is a horse version too. It stops the flys from maturing and greatly cut down on the numbers this year.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

We just came back from Christmas with my girlfriend's family in Germany, and we flew with SWISS back from Stuttgart over Zürich to Copenhagen.

I have never felt so pampered in economy class before. Such a pleasant crew, a very nice complimentary cheese sandwich and our choice of drinks (soda, juice, even red wine).

And the chocolate, oh god the chocolate. Probably the best milk chocolate I've ever had, with an absolutely perfect snap and gorgeous taste. Just outstanding.

In loving economy class, man.

I fly to Zürich occasionally for work, mostly with SWISS, and I absolutely agree. Top notch airline and by God can they make a chocolate.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

angryrobots posted:

Your hiring a skid steer loader to get rid of all that poo poo right?

Good skid steer and a skip bin can make a dump look manicured in a few hours

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Semi related to the fly bit we started feeding a mineral to our animals with an insect growth regulator in it. I think its nutrebeef summer. There is a horse version too. It stops the flys from maturing and greatly cut down on the numbers this year.

I did not know about that - wife is looking into supplements now, may be able to get a discount through work. Thanks!

Ferremit posted:

Your hiring a skid steer loader to get rid of all that poo poo right?

Good skid steer and a skip bin can make a dump look manicured in a few hours

Yeah I have a tractor with a loader and grappler. A lot of the junk is overgrown with scrub trees, between that and available time it's a long term project.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
ok, dumbest question ever. Those window stickers you see in the back windows of trucks, are they on the inside or outside?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Amazon rant.

I still work for them, but only when they send me "reserved" shifts (anything else, you have to sit on your phone for hours tapping "refresh", then hope you're quick enough to beat the hundreds of other people trying to grab the same shift). Had a 4 hour shift yesterday. It was promised as $72 plus tips.

I had 8 stops. All to wealthy houses. My payout was $87 total. Amazon admits they're using tips to make up part of our hourly wage now ($18), but they're using a hell of a lot more now. A couple of months ago, that would have been $110+. Did a 2 hour today with the same number of stops, base pay is $36. I'm betting I'll only see $50 total (the default tip is $5 or 10%, whichever is greater... most people leave it on the default). Meanwhile the restaurant delivery company I also work for... 9 deliveries tonight in 4 hours, $106. That's pure delivery fees + tips, I don't get an hourly wage with them unless I drop below $9/hr for the day in fees+tips (very rare).

Probably gonna call it quits entirely with Amazon after I get rent paid for January. They usually send my reserved shifts for the following week on Friday morning around 9:30 (if I get any at all), and I set my schedule with the restaurant delivery company after 10am on Friday (I schedule the restaurant company around my Amazon shifts, usually).

rdb posted:

Dumpster contracts are some of the worst. Advanced disposal just asked me to sign a 5 year auto renewing contract with no price or service guarantee. Previous company was 3 year auto renew but advanced disposal bought them out and promptly raised my rate. Its $42 for monthly pickup of a 3 yard dumpster, which I thought was fair given that I live in the middle of nowhere. But that 5 year auto renewing contract will just sit on my desk, not signing that.

Also the P.O. of my place did the same poo poo but had the courtesy to bury it. Or let the weeds grow so tall we couldn’t see it.

That's about as bad as the poo poo CSC Serviceworks (and other companies that provide laundry equipment for multifamily housing) does. Usually a 3 or 5 year auto renewing contract, no notice before renewal, have to break the lease on a specific date or week before auto-renew, MASSIVE fee to break the contract, and good luck ever getting the equipment upgraded. The property owner is supposed to get a cut of the money, but often doesn't (according to a friend who used to own a small apartment property).

I'm trying to figure out how my apartment complex managed to get new equipment. Somehow the new poo poo is still constantly breaking (all Speedqueen too!), but it's mostly the card readers breaking, or whatever communication they use going offline (which takes out everything) (though I've seen one washer broken down, full of water, once already.. the washers are <2 months old). I guess maybe CSC got tired of the coin boxes being constantly being broken into; they only take credit cards now (at least it's not the prepaid card bullshit a lot of properties try to pull). They did cut it down to 6 washers and dryers from 10... and there's still no loving hot water. One of the new washers got hurt by a broken hose (was spraying on the back for several days.. no heat in the laundry room, 2 windows broken out, doors always open, below freezing temps overnight for a few nights, etc), it's been showing an error for 3 weeks, and the card reader display is just flickering.

At least the property management was a bit smarter with dumpster service. It's contracted to the city itself. The property across the street contracts it to Waste Corp of America, who thinks it's fine and dandy to collect trash at 3am, which is usually when I'm falling asleep. :fuckoff:

ilkhan posted:

ok, dumbest question ever. Those window stickers you see in the back windows of trucks, are they on the inside or outside?

What kind of stickers? Dealer price stickers are almost always on the inside. Anything else is usually on the outside.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What kind of stickers? Dealer price stickers are almost always on the inside. Anything else is usually on the outside.
I think he means the american flag crap that takes up the whole rear window.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

We just came back from Christmas with my girlfriend's family in Germany, and we flew with SWISS back from Stuttgart over Zürich to Copenhagen.

I have never felt so pampered in economy class before. Such a pleasant crew, a very nice complimentary cheese sandwich and our choice of drinks (soda, juice, even red wine).

And the chocolate, oh god the chocolate. Probably the best milk chocolate I've ever had, with an absolutely perfect snap and gorgeous taste. Just outstanding.

In loving economy class, man.

Meanwhile, in America, you're lucky you actually have a seat in steerage economy, and First Class doesn't even exist any more for domestic flights. And they make you pay to bring your luggage with you. And any snacks or drinks.

Ah, man, ReelBigLizard's "Network Traffic" story thread got archived.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Amazon rant.

I still work for them, but only when they send me "reserved" shifts (anything else, you have to sit on your phone for hours tapping "refresh", then hope you're quick enough to beat the hundreds of other people trying to grab the same shift). Had a 4 hour shift yesterday. It was promised as $72 plus tips.

I had 8 stops. All to wealthy houses. My payout was $87 total. Amazon admits they're using tips to make up part of our hourly wage now ($18), but they're using a hell of a lot more now. A couple of months ago, that would have been $110+. Did a 2 hour today with the same number of stops, base pay is $36. I'm betting I'll only see $50 total (the default tip is $5 or 10%, whichever is greater... most people leave it on the default). Meanwhile the restaurant delivery company I also work for... 9 deliveries tonight in 4 hours, $106. That's pure delivery fees + tips, I don't get an hourly wage with them unless I drop below $9/hr for the day in fees+tips (very rare).

Probably gonna call it quits entirely with Amazon after I get rent paid for January. They usually send my reserved shifts for the following week on Friday morning around 9:30 (if I get any at all), and I set my schedule with the restaurant delivery company after 10am on Friday (I schedule the restaurant company around my Amazon shifts, usually).

That's about as bad as the poo poo CSC Serviceworks (and other companies that provide laundry equipment for multifamily housing) does. Usually a 3 or 5 year auto renewing contract, no notice before renewal, have to break the lease on a specific date or week before auto-renew, MASSIVE fee to break the contract, and good luck ever getting the equipment upgraded. The property owner is supposed to get a cut of the money, but often doesn't (according to a friend who used to own a small apartment property).

I'm trying to figure out how my apartment complex managed to get new equipment. Somehow the new poo poo is still constantly breaking (all Speedqueen too!), but it's mostly the card readers breaking, or whatever communication they use going offline (which takes out everything) (though I've seen one washer broken down, full of water, once already.. the washers are <2 months old). I guess maybe CSC got tired of the coin boxes being constantly being broken into; they only take credit cards now (at least it's not the prepaid card bullshit a lot of properties try to pull). They did cut it down to 6 washers and dryers from 10... and there's still no loving hot water. One of the new washers got hurt by a broken hose (was spraying on the back for several days.. no heat in the laundry room, 2 windows broken out, doors always open, below freezing temps overnight for a few nights, etc), it's been showing an error for 3 weeks, and the card reader display is just flickering.

At least the property management was a bit smarter with dumpster service. It's contracted to the city itself. The property across the street contracts it to Waste Corp of America, who thinks it's fine and dandy to collect trash at 3am, which is usually when I'm falling asleep. :fuckoff:

This is the Libertarian Dream of "free market" and "competition". :thumbsup:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of the best reasons for owning a house is having your own washer and dryer right there to use at your leisure. Going to laundromats sucks donkey balls.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

One of the best reasons for owning a house is having your own washer and dryer right there to use at your leisure. Going to laundromats sucks donkey balls.

and a garage and driveway.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I can't wait to be able to buy some property and build my own house.

gently caress renting
gently caress landlords
gently caress their lovely $10 handymen.
gently caress not being able just fix things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've had a W&D in all but one of the apartments I've lived in.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Close, but the best part imho was choosing which washer and dryer to put there. We got nice appliances and it's paid off in spades since then. I don't like to cheap out on many things but appliances that just work and work well are A++++ worth it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress renting
gently caress landlords

Then you will just be bitching about the POs $10 Handymen who did illegal fixes on things that could potentially cause CO leaks and other interesting safety hazards like no railings on stairs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Saw Spiderman: Homecoming last night. Gotta say, I expected it to suck but was pleasantly surprised. Sure, a little vanilla in some spots especially when dealing with teen issues, but that was totally by design. Funnier and a better movie in general than I expected. Michael Keaton was an excellent villain. Marisa Tomei is still cute as hell, especially since shes well in her 50s and is a great new take on Aunt May.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

slidebite posted:

Saw Spiderman: Homecoming last night. Gotta say, I expected it to suck but was pleasantly surprised. Sure, a little vanilla in some spots especially when dealing with teen issues, but that was totally by design. Funnier and a better movie in general than I expected. Michael Keaton was an excellent villain. Marisa Tomei is still cute as hell, especially since shes well in her 50s and is a great new take on Aunt May.

Yes. And MK is always a great villain. Or batman.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress renting
gently caress landlords

hahaha

house ownership just means other things to piss you off.

I own a house and I am now on day 4 of decorating. I am so loving sick of painting, sanding and dust. I don't think i'm going to finish the final coat until tommorrow.
I left all my paint in the shed for too long by accident and it froze and i had to buy more.
My roof leaks and the cold+wet weather this week has made it worse. Everytime I want to use the back door I have to move 2 buckets and get dripped on. Roofer can't come for 4 weeks. Its going to cost me £1k :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Wick 2 = not even half as good as the first one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Same with Kingsman golden circle.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tomarse posted:

house ownership just means other things to piss you off.

:same:

You just have more expensive problems to fix, and you're in charge of solving them. Still, owning is nice for the same reason, you're in charge of poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Larrymer posted:

:same:

You just have more expensive problems to fix, and you're in charge of solving them. Still, owning is nice for the same reason, you're in charge of poo poo.

I've probably said it before, but homes are absolutely living beings of their own. They are made up of a whole bunch of subsystems that you never think about, but if one of them fails, the whole thing goes to poo poo until you fix it. Furnace, air conditioning, water heater, pipes, drains, roof, basement, sump pump, smoke alarms, appliances, plus wear and tear on literally everything else... it's good to be in charge of poo poo, but man... there's always more poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

Same with Kingsman golden circle.

Haven't seen either John Wick yet, but yeah, Golden Circle is nowhere near as good as the first. It's still entertaining enough to be worth a watch. Maybe not a rewatch, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Haven't seen either John Wick yet, but yeah, Golden Circle is nowhere near as good as the first. It's still entertaining enough to be worth a watch. Maybe not a rewatch, though.

I've seen John Wick 3 or 4 times. I highly doubt I will ever watch the sequel again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's practically a law that the second movie is always worst than the first.

The third movies are usually wildcards.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's still a big gap in that sequel quality. Guardians Vol 2 isn't as good as the original, but it's still fun as gently caress and we rewatch it regularly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Back to the Future 2 is awesome.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

T2

Rhyno posted:

Back to the Future 2 is awesome.
Are you high right now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

T2

Are you high right now?

Possibly. Cafe 80's still rules.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BTTF2 is good

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've never watched the original Terminator but love T2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

and a garage and driveway.

I have a driveway and carport :(

Still better than parking on the drat street.

KakerMix posted:

Close, but the best part imho was choosing which washer and dryer to put there. We got nice appliances and it's paid off in spades since then. I don't like to cheap out on many things but appliances that just work and work well are A++++ worth it.

Yep, Speed Queen FTW in this house

Seminal Flu posted:

I've probably said it before, but homes are absolutely living beings of their own. They are made up of a whole bunch of subsystems that you never think about, but if one of them fails, the whole thing goes to poo poo until you fix it. Furnace, air conditioning, water heater, pipes, drains, roof, basement, sump pump, smoke alarms, appliances, plus wear and tear on literally everything else... it's good to be in charge of poo poo, but man... there's always more poo poo.

Agreed, but at least as a home owner you're in control of the situation and not dependent on an idiot landlord to get poo poo done. We have friends that rent and some of the stories are loving ridiculous.

• Locked thread