Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

FlocksOfMice posted:

I listened to like one minute of this and it's one of the most ontologically terrifying things I've ever seen, unironically. Memetically humanity seeks to speciate, doesn't it? it's this why I can't understand Star Citizen? I'm no longer of the kind which has the organs to make sense of it
It's incredibly, strangely alien. I don't think it's humanity speciating, though. It's just a weird insular subculture. For like, mainstream culture, you could pick any group on Earth and I don't think it would be alien like this. My closest common cultural ancestors to, say, Amazonian hunter-gatherers probably date to tens of thousands of years ago, their culture and their material context is probably as far from mine as is possible to be on this planet, but they're still just regular people you have some fundamental shared understanding with. Weird subcultures can get way stranger though. I think this stuff is partly also doing it on purpose as some sort of artistic thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough it feels like the AAA industry has caught up to the Star Citizen development model where you shove in literally everything regardless of whether it works or how much it breaks flow.

You mean like how it feels like crafting is crammed into every game now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What Star Citizen could have that I think could work is ships that require multiple players to operate, and each person has an important task, with missions that take advantage of those important tasks. Everyone has to work together and communicate otherwise the ship explodes. What Star Citizen has instead is everyone on a ship just kinda clips through the ship and falls through space or a planet and then dies. You can't even actually do anything on the ships anyways, they are just for transporting players around.

Star Wars Galaxies had my idea as a gameplay loop, so i'm not mentioning anything original, just to be clear.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What Star Citizen could have that I think could work is ships that require multiple players to operate, and each person has an important task, with missions that take advantage of those important tasks. Everyone has to work together and communicate otherwise the ship explodes. What Star Citizen has instead is everyone on a ship just kinda clips through the ship and falls through space or a planet and then dies. You can't even actually do anything on the ships anyways, they are just for transporting players around.

Star Wars Galaxies had my idea as a gameplay loop, so i'm not mentioning anything original, just to be clear.

and you can only have 1 captain

the kinds of people that spend lots of money on SC are the personality that they HAVE to be captain of the ship or else why bother?

especially when they spent all that money, they would sooner sit on their empty ship watching people have fun outside from the secure confines of their cockpit.... so very similar to how they live their IRL

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough it feels like the AAA industry has caught up to the Star Citizen development model where you shove in literally everything regardless of whether it works or how much it breaks flow.

I thought you were going to say AAA games finally caught up to SC how much money they demand after you already bought the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Time_pants posted:

I thought you were going to say AAA games finally caught up to SC how much money they demand after you already bought the game.

Also that.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Biplane posted:

Star Trek Bridge Crew already exists, and is actually fun.

Starship Simulator is coming out soon aand looks like the peak of these kind of games.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Unlike other game developers who make simple systems but add much variety via those simple systems in a relatively short time CIG are going for more capable complex systems where future expansion is unlimited. Other games do not have nearly the amount of possible attachments Star Citizen and Squadron 42 have planned, indeed very often even with their limited capabilities games often ship with glaring issues like poke-thru and misaligned geometry. There is always a trade-off, you can have development time quality and variety but for each you have to weigh the cost benefit, variety takes time, quality takes time - even more so when you don't want to accept the standard game design limits. As Chris said at the last CitizenCon, they plan to keep improving and adding features and capability for the next decade and beyond, so there is little point in going for sheer volume just to amuse people for a while. They have to plan for the future capabilities to come, not just an 'off the shelf' game engine solution.

Anyone and everyone who follows this project knows that it has never been a project about a 'summer release' and grab as much cash as you can for 6 months while the company switches to a new cash grab product. They are building and expanding the game engine while they build a live release, no-one else does that and there are good reasons why no-one else does that. The reason it seems so odd to some people is precisely because they are used to short term approaches to game development by other game developers who use existing game engine technology. CIG are solving problems and limitations that are just accepted as reality or insurmountable by the standard game developers, they push the limits in just about every single feature they include, often-times far beyond what many even thought possible. Too often the criticisms come from those who spend little to no time actually researching how games are normally made, how things are fudged, faked and quick-fixes are adopted to cut down on development costs and ship games quicker to market. CIG are a victim of their own success, they make the virtually miraculous look simple to the uninformed.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

I wonder if Pisscat understands that he'll be dead long before Star Citizen is "finished".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

I wonder if Pisscat understands that he'll be dead long before Star Citizen is "finished".

I think he wrote at least one screed about exactly this and how it is all worth it for future generations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Is the game out yet, think it’s been a year since I last asked?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Anyone and everyone who follows this project knows that it has never been a project about a 'summer release' and grab as much cash as you can for 6 months
LOL

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tnuctip posted:

Take a wild guess.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tnuctip posted:

yes, and they somehow managed to make good on all the promises and everything that people dreamed up. star citizen is everything anyone could ever want and i live in the 'verse exclusively from now on.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

will all the spaceships be romanceable at launch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Buce posted:

will all the spaceships be romanceable at launch?

Only the really, really expensive ones.

Love ain't cheap!