Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Someone posted this in the November thread, but I didn't want to keep chatting there.

Low level staffers are where a lot of the work gets done. Yeah, Flynn personally did a lot of things, but for every Flynn there are a dozen Papadopolouses. Also I wouldn't want anyone involved with this at all ever working for the government again, and one way to make sure of that is to charge them even if they only end up with probation or something minor.

Low level guys are also the ones who do scheduling and handle incriminating details like paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Handsome Ralph posted:

I remember when Rosenstein announced it, and my immediate reaction was relief combined with a dose of, "There it is."

When I had to explain to people who aren't complete weirdos that know who former directors of the FBI are, I just said "Remember Game of Thrones? Pretend this guy just showed up again to lead the investigation."

That's actually pretty good.

Vasudus posted:

Reading thread titles is for suckers.

I expect brain drain in the rural areas to largely lead to total economic collapse. We're already seeing bits and pieces of this - large foreign companies passing up on building plants in the south due to an uneducated workforce, doctors having to be bribed an incredible amount to service rural areas, employers unable to find qualified workers that don't have drug problems. It can be turned around still but it's sure as gently caress not even starting until 2020 at the absolute earliest, assuming that whatever democrat gets control of the executive even gives a poo poo AND can pass it through congress.

I agree, that's part of how we get there.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
On the first day of Christmas, Bob Mueller sent to me:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

Low level guys are also the ones who do scheduling and handle incriminating details like paperwork.

Precisely. Flynn, Trump, Manafort, Jr., Kush, etc. sure as gently caress aren't out there booking their personal flights or setting up accommodations, meetings, etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
goddamnit thread split again

close november CE thread imo

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I honestly think weed is going to make this a huge problem. I was talking to my dad about this (I'm from Texas) and I asked him how mny of my high school friends returned home from college. The answer is none. A lot don't even live in the same state. Why would you return to a state where smoking weed gets you jail time when you can live where its legal?

The rural drain to cities has always been a thing but its now happening at a rate that results in negative rural growth. The kids that are 8 years old right now are going to grow up watching media of adults legaling buying weed in stores while their friends get caught selling weed and go to a juvenile center.

You're right, but like everything already listed, those are all symptoms of a larger problem. The problem is that there's little to no incentive to stay in the middle parts of the country; and before someone comes screaming in to throw a specific example I'm talking about a large scale, generation-wide case. There's less industry coming in, more industry drying up, less economic opportunity, less educational opportunity, etc. On a generational scale all of these things lead to migration by themselves, but when they're all happening it's going to get real serious real soon.

edit: you could also replace "middle part of the country" with "anything outside a reasonable driving distance from a major metro area" and my point still stands, to preemptively defend against "what about places like Madison!?"

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 1, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

reposting for new thread

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

From the prior thread:

CommieGIR posted:

Mueller is setting it up to be 'easy' on Flynn in exchange for the Plea Deal. That's why its a good indicator Flynn is talking, otherwise Mueller would've ratcheted up the pressure.

I meant the content of the statements he admitted were false. Those convos are something Pence floundered on, hard, in interviews around that time. After Flynn was fired Pence claimed he lied to him, that "it's news to me" claim.

It's entirely possible Mueller has plans to start heading for Pence, but there are other WH inhabitants he would likely be going through first, so that he can make sure he can catch Pence in a lie.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No I hope he takes down Pence next so there's nobody for Republicans to fall back on when Trump gets impeached.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Djdnfbakdbjxdbaj

https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/936627327236235266

Fjsodkavdka IT MAY BE HAPPENING

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Because all of these men getting called out for sexual misconduct is a product of liberals destroying our man-ciety, you see.

Man if that's the plea deal I can't wait to see what Flynn coughed up, Jesus

"Mid-Atlantic Bank & Trust, safe deposit box #1488. The piss tape is in there."

Hypothetically, if true, what crime did Donnie commit if he did this?

BigDave fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 1, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Can your area support a 4 year university? No? Congrats, your slowly going to die.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

psydude posted:

No I hope he takes down Pence next so there's nobody for Republicans to fall back on when Trump gets impeached.

That would be nice but they'd cuddle up with anyone he picked.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Oh my loving god, if true.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Was just coming here to post this.

MUELLER FOUND THE WARP WHISTLE!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I feel like absolute rear end as I'm down with whatever bug is going around, but goddamn Robert Muller, you know how to brighten someone's day.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I updated the tweet with video: https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/936627327236235266

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/936628630515474433

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Called this one.
https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/936628252214530048

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Goddamnit, what a time to be on the eve of leaving the US for two weeks. Hope I can still get back in from Dulles before Trump orders the borders and airports shut down while he orders the MAGA Militia to go after his rivals.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Yep. They told Flynn, either he can go to jail, or both him and his son can go to jail. That wasn't a hard call.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I am lucky I am working remote because this all-day erection would not be workplace appropriate

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

goddamnit thread split again

close november CE thread imo

You're right, but like everything already listed, those are all symptoms of a larger problem. The problem is that there's little to no incentive to stay in the middle parts of the country; and before someone comes screaming in to throw a specific example I'm talking about a large scale, generation-wide case. There's less industry coming in, more industry drying up, less economic opportunity, less educational opportunity, etc. On a generational scale all of these things lead to migration by themselves, but when they're all happening it's going to get real serious real soon.

edit: you could also replace "middle part of the country" with "anything outside a reasonable driving distance from a major metro area" and my point still stands, to preemptively defend against "what about places like Madison!?"

The big sleeper in all of this automation talk is how big ag is going to absolutely and brutally destroy every single blue collar ag job aside from a few people to get the machines working when they gently caress up. Its really loving easy to automate farm equipment in a flat field. My cousin is taking over the farm and ranch that his dad and his dad's brother run together and its cyperpunk as hell. They used to employ two field hands to do manual like check on water levels and look for holes in fences. My cousin pulls up to the gate, gets out, and launches a drone.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am lucky I am working remote because this all-day erection would not be workplace appropriate

ye

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The big sleeper in all of this automation talk is how big ag is going to absolutely and brutally destroy every single blue collar ag job aside from a few people to get the machines working when they gently caress up. Its really loving easy to automate farm equipment in a flat field. My cousin is taking over the farm and ranch that his dad and his dad's brother run together and its cyperpunk as hell. They used to employ two field hands to do manual like check on water levels and look for holes in fences. My cousin pulls up to the gate, gets out, and launches a drone.

There's a bunch of expensive unskilled manual labor out there that redhat America 'prides' itself on and its going to get automated to gently caress and back before burger flippers are. I'm looking at you, oil field workers.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/936630463841619968

This is a good day

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lmbo that's some light hearted news. Surprised that dude hasn't been given a job with Trump

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Lmbo that's some light hearted news. Surprised that dude hasn't been given a job with Trump

He'll be the next Drug Czar.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
He makes the best deals, other than your President (me)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why do they want "The Carter V"? It's not even the good one.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
drat, dude had a loving enigma machine?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's a bunch of expensive unskilled manual labor out there that redhat America 'prides' itself on and its going to get automated to gently caress and back before burger flippers are. I'm looking at you, oil field workers.

Oil field won't be automated for a while. You are not going to have machines capable enough to load triple stacks of pipe without human intervention. Tool pushers are as automated as they will be for a while. Still need excavators to clear the area, lay swamp mats etc. Trucking will be the first major casualty

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ABC seems to be a bit out front of everyone else. The official statement is that Flynn was told to contact Russia DURING THE TRANSITION, not quite the election.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/936633643967053825

ABC is saying it was when Trump was a candidate, a timeframe difference that could matter a lot.

Flynn: https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/936635077219508224

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the official cultural name of this scandal now? Stupid Watergate?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It doesn't matter if it's during the transition or the election, because the transition stuff is pointing to Trump directing Flynn to talk to the Russians and influence a UN vote against Israeli settlements, which happened while Obama was still very much president. So uh...that's a thing. We might get our first ever Logan Act conviction since 1789.

edit: also that's probably treason in the practical sense but not the literal

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i love that we are where we are because of Flynn protecting his large adult son

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So where's Glenn Greenwald to tell us this is just the Democrats trying to make things up?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

It doesn't matter if it's during the transition or the election, because the transition stuff is pointing to Trump directing Flynn to talk to the Russians and influence a UN vote against Israeli settlements, which happened while Obama was still very much president. So uh...that's a thing. We might get our first ever Logan Act conviction since 1789.

edit: also that's probably treason in the practical sense but not the literal

So, Trump tells Flynn to negotiate with Moscow about a UN Israeli vote, and this violated the Logan Act because we consider Russia to be in dispute with the United States?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

What's the official cultural name of this scandal now? Stupid Watergate?
Yeah. They earned that and I want to see it in a text book some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is this it?

• Locked thread