Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What's up ground floor, who's hype for the beta?

Gonna renew my psplus for it. Even thought I dont care about the games it gives me soooooooo yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Excited to renew my PS+ subscription and play the """""""beta""""""" in a week

:same: I got it for 40 on sale black Friday. Was going to wait for a game I cared about. But beta is it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Usually they have better rates for the good stuff though? At least different rates. When farming I def used the app and find what I should break/if I should kill or capture. It was always capture like 80% of the time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Capturing looked real easy in World. In the video the guy put on gilliemantle and walked right up to the sleeping monster and set a trap inside it's hitbox and it just went off before it woke.

Don't know if it will be that way in the final version

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Counterpoint. I see your sword axe and Raise you an axe sword.

Switch Axe is love.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Except you pretty much never use the Axe mode, so it's more of a sword sword.

I use Axe mode a bunch, for its reach, better mobility and its infinite stamina draining combo. You can always transition into sword midcombo so you have the advantages of reach and movement are huge when getting into position or for faster monsters while sacrificing 1 or 2 hits of axe over sword.

Also I pop the sword blastie blast often because I really like axe mode too and am not afraid to burst into it. Which is nice

Of course this was all before World so who knows how the combos have changed up. Also with actual numbers popping up I might change my style depending on the strength of hits I'm seeing real time.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 6, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mailer posted:

Every SA conversation ever:
"Just use sword mode"
"But what about <extremely specific situation>?"

I know I won't get my wish on this but it'd be nice if they just got rid of phials altogether. Make every SA Power and every CB Impact.

Literally not. We just had the opposite conversation.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which: have they said what (if anything) is replacing styles?

They incorporated things from them into the base moves of weapons. Most if not all have an air launching move now. Finishers exist for certain weapons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Triarii posted:

Longsword and sword + shield have aerial-style attacks, but I think that's it - though the environments have a ton more stuff to jump off of, so everyone will have greater access to midair attacks.

Longsword also has an adept-ish move (dodge a hit and then counterattack to raise your meter up a level) but it looks a lot trickier to pull off because you have to combo into it from another attack.

Huh. I could have sworn I saw a lot more doing jumps. Maybe the fast cut trailers have confused me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Triarii posted:

Well, one of the new environmental features are slopes that you can jump off of when you're sliding down them. Some of the attacks you can do from those jumps are pretty flashy.

https://i.imgur.com/khCln1w.gifv

Maybe tha ts what I was seeing. The dual blades jump was a slope jump too I see.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I've been seconding dual blades for enemies that switch axe is too slow for. And World looks like it will keep that trend. Looks great.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Terrific Accident posted:

I love switch axe but I've always wondered why it wasn't a more fluid weapon with more moves that transitioned between axe and sword mode. Just have sword mode build through axe mode hits and possibly have something like an overheat mechanic if you hit maximum bar, or optimal range would be a green area in the center of the bar so you'd be rewarded for building to a certain point and then doing combos that rotated between axe and sword mode.

Your reward is doing a status effect blast in a dino's face. Are people not using that because it switches you to axe mode? Always be blasting.

I play like 50-50 each mode and status blast a lot so I'm always switching back and forth. The fact that theres now an incentive meter to stay in sword mode longer before doing the blast makes me think other people aren't playing like the goon hivemind decided switchaxe should be played.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is the demo live?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How do I make this demo preload?

Also is this 'digital deluxe edition' really just an armor and an emote? :roflolmao:

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 8, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm thinking of preorders where it autopreloads.

I want 2 levels of automatic giving me monster hunter.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My stupid wife has her stupid birthday so I planned a stupid day trip this stupid weekend and I'll have stupid sex instead of playing this not stupid demo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Baby. I'm gonna skin you for parts and wear you like a hat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

FBS posted:

I'm browsing through the last MH thread post-E3 trailer and it's hilarious. This game has come a long way since that first trailer and those initial reactions are precious.

sweet!

Did you drink everytime someone unironically complained about casuals?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Still on my dumb birthday date with my dumb wife. Glad you guys are having fun. Sounds like there's some. New things to learn but game is good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dual blades have always been great about elemental and status effect because you hit so many times. And then keep hitting.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I too am looking forward to trying guns I bounced off of before

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is there a reason to prefer lbg over hbg? Also how is the ammo crafting time tax

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Does this run 1080 60 on pro? Might jump on the 350 pro deals if so.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tomie knows me posted:

No, the framerate option on a pro gets you stable 30, vs slight drops on the regular.

Lol. Ok. Less expensive to buy it a second time on pc later for better graphics.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I got carted real fast trying to lbg the expert quest. :catstare: they are easier and fun to use. By I am not used to the style at all.

I beat it first try without fainting once with my main SA of course.

Bow is a surprise for me it's super fun. If a little simple

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 11, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How long is the lifespan on these games typically, as far as finding multiplayer games goes? I figure the answer might be "nobody knows" since it's the first game on this generation of consoles, but I'm just curious. It still feels fun as hell solo but it kinda seems like a Souls game where loving around with other random people can breathe new life into things.

However I've put hundred of hours into the last few games never going online. And it was awesome.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Everything is fun. Without fighting camera I'm finding some weapons feel really simple. Of course after a while I will be intuitively doing upcut strikes or side stuff based on the split second situation.

Unless it's dual blades. Then I will buttonmash because I have no idea which combo does more damage.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Couldn't beat the expert with bow. Ran out a time. Felt like I was kicking it constantly. Maybe I'm missing something.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I killed him in 16ish with switch axe first try. Then played with a bunch of weapons and all the guns and ran out of time with the bow. He was limping. Went back to switch axe and beat him in 12.

Don't know if switch axe is just that good. Or if it's just that it was my main for always.

I noticed the demo default me to it. They just wanna show of that phial injection finisher.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Were you using coatings fully, and keeping within critical distance?

I was using coatings. But I doubt I was at the right distance. Close range did the most damage and I was using that after I ran out of the other two.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 11, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thanks for the writeup! I noticed the charge shits just happening but wasn't sure it was the dash. I'll have to watch a how to video before the game proper. Those numbers sound huge and awesome. On the other hand. Switch Axe sword doin like 33 a hit while infinitely comboing....so still gonna main that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hunting horn has always been great but drat. They improved is so much. You can learn all you buffs for a weapon and just have them. Sweeet

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Turns out I suck with all weapons. Hurray.
Insect glaive is way too complex for me. Is sword and shield the most simple weapon?

Hammer is probably the simplest. Just hit poo poo

SnS is all about using a bunch of items. So simple weapon to access a more complex system.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Switch Axe goes from real good. To insane when you learn it. Sword or axe mode are a 100 viable weapon by themselves. When you git gud it's just incredible. It's damage output in the demo is crazy

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Prel posted:

Great sword is deceptive because it is mechanically simple but very timing intensive. Almost all of your damage comes from getting off charge attacks, which lock you down a lot. I found this to actually make it a great weapon for really learning fights though; you're forced to start recognizing patterns and identifying openings where you can get big damage in.

e: also, GS is metal af, so there's that

I remember the first MH demo I played I tried the great sword and got my rear end kicked and it put me off the series for a bit. It's a terrible first try weapon. Probably why the demo defaults to switch axe :getin:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is the bug upgrade unfucked? I liked ig before but I couldn't keep it leveled and the bug upgrades broke my brain

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

It does take some work to get different weapons as you get further in, but I suspect it will be easier to try new things in world because you can now un-craft things for a refund of the resources used to craft them. In theory this means you'll be able to make the barroth hammer, decide you hate it and dismantle it to make the barroth lance with those materials, or whatever.

In practice this won't be perfect because weapons are crafted from trees, but it should help. Previously you also had to make different armor sets for gunner vs blademaster armor, and that system has gratefully been removed, so you can switch to a bowgun after simply making the bowgun instead of having to make a gun and entire armor set.

I'm glad you can on break down that precious fire elemental weapon and turn it into something else.

It's such a huge quality of life paradigm shift in this game it's awesome.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 11, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Whats transmog?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

It's where you make armor look like some other armor for cosmetic reasons.

Like you can wear Made-up-drake armor because it's best for your build, but transmogrify it to look like Fictional-bird armor, because that looks cooler.

If you play Nioh, it's the same as Refashioning.

That's awesome. I did play Nioh and now I'm super excited for fashionhunts

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Souls-style games actually ruined it for me a bit. In between the world demo and the last time I played monster hunter (~10 years), I put extensive time into every souls game, bloodborne, and nioh; and the inability to change the direction of a combo between swings as well as the length of time after a swing before you can do anything again drove me insane in the demo. It is not easy to get used to and it felt like starting the series for the first time all over again. There's comparisons to be made between dark souls and monster hunter but in practice I don't think they are similar at all.

That's different between all the weapons. Can interest you in some dual swords?

Both series have what I call "deliberate" combat. Dark Souls is more twitch based. MH is waiting for big openings and dropping a combo. You can play more twitch based and cancel out of things, but you need specific weapons for that. Dual swords/ Sword and Shield/I think Insect Glaive, but I didn't play with that this demo.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Impermanent posted:

idk I'd argue that the stat levelling in Souls is pretty meaningless. It's definitely primarily skill + finding a moveset you like. But I get what you're saying otherwise. Sounds like I'll like it!

Its meaningful. But each individual level doesn't feel like it. If you go back to a starting area in a Souls you will be godly, its just such an incremental advance you don't get to feel better going from 50 strength to 51.

In MHW I'm interested to see how it works. It was a meaningful progression before to complete a armor set, but now with the new perks/no threshold, I wonder how it will feel to make even one piece.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 13, 2017