Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I went on a big ten bar crawl yesterday and wound up hanging out and doing shots with Tim motherfucking Dwight, the world is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ohio State has more good wins than Bama and also it’d be super funny if a team that got boat raced by Iowa made the playoff

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Emron posted:

It's going to be a question of how much weight the committee places on getting beat by a combined 50 points in 2 losses, which I don't really think they'll put too much on that. They already said last week that Bama and OSU were basically even, so I think OSU is in.

They have said in the past they care about wins much more than losses but they’re also not all that consistent about anything.

This would be the perfect year to pretend that the G5 actually has a chance but alas

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

GobiasIndustries posted:

6 team playoff: each P5 champion, one wild card, and the highest ranked G5 school :shrug:

who is honestly clamoring for one of the Pac-12 teams? I don’t really see the impetus to expand when we can’t even find a fourth team that anyone is all that excited about getting in.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 3, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don’t think Alabama has any business getting in but it owns a lot that Iowa beat the piss out of Ohio State and kept them out of the playoff

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Josh Jackson intercepted the Big Ten’s playoff bid

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bryant went out with a head injury and Clemson really just didn't look like they came to play.

They were losing before he left the game. They just straight up got their rear end kicked

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

They lost by three points and it was 17-14 at the half. In the sense that it's embarrassing to even play Syracuse tight if you're a top program they got their rear end kicked, but they still came close to stealing that game and probably could have done it with their starting QB.

Eh, I don’t think it was as close as the score. Syracuse was moving the ball basically at will, Clemson’s scoring was all turnovers or a handful of big run plays.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Oklahoma should pay someone to monitor Baker 24/7 because winning a Heisman, getting a playoff spot and having a few weeks off seems like a recipe for personal life disaster.

:rolleyes:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

This is why the Big 10 was dumb for moving to 9 conference games instead of 8 + FCS. Ohio State is playing Western Illinois instead of Iowa and in the playoff this year.

amazingly they occasionally had to play Iowa before they added the extra conference game too

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It was Von Dozier and he was hilarious. Scionix is just awful.

Nah he sucked

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FizFashizzle posted:

Just wait until UNC is good again bitches

I'll make you pine for the days of big herm and shooter mcgavin

Shooter unironically thought joe jurevicius was a future hall of famer, he ruled and I miss him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hornibrook v Turnover Chain

I'll take the Chain

It’s also Miami’s lovely QB against Wisconsin’s defense though. Game is gonna have like 12 combined points

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Maybe we’ll finally win a goddamn bowl again. But still gross. The over/under is gonna be like 24

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think I might actually be on a flight during that game, which is probably for the best

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
At least it wasn’t Louisville in the pinstripe like a lot of people were projecting. I love Josey Jewell but watching him try to chase Lamar Jackson would have been so sad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

no way i would go to San Diego, but i might go to the fuckin' music city bowl

San Diego is rad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

a bowl game in a baseball stadium with artificial turf being sponsored by a lawnmower maker is peak bowl season and i will brook no insult of it

An indoor stadium with the grossest turf in the world, no less.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Michigan getting a better bowl game than MSU is really dumb, but at least it's also a worse opponent and a much less interesting game

There cannot possibly be a Big Ten fanbase that’s still excited about a trip to Tampa, can we swap that out for a new bowl game already?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Minnesota has enough Hold Steady fans that would relish the chance to see Ybor City

I’ve been once and no one in the group I went with got any of my Hold Steady references :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

Memphis sells beer at the Liberty Bowl but it's an off-campus stadium.

It tends to be more common at the off campus stadiums, especially the ones that are shared with a NFL team (miss you, metrodome). I think the revenue potential there is such that it’s probaby going to be really widespread soon. Iowa has talked about doing it off and on for like a decade now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Have they always had different prizes for winners/losers? I thought everyone got the same gift bag for making the bowl.

It’s the same, “losers” just means those bowls have the shittiest gift package

Iowa State and Memphis are going to be extremely high on the list of schools with a high percentage of players who will be stoked about a bass pro shop shopping spree, I think you’re underrating that one

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PostNouveau posted:

$350 at Bass Pro Shops can get you a gun, which can get you a PS4 PRO, Amazon Echo or whatever.

The value of the bass pro shops shopping spree is extremely context dependent. West or East Coast school? Probably pretty disappointing. Midwest or Southern school? There’s gonna be a whole bunch of dudes who are all about buying poo poo to kill forest creatures with.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Navy is Under Armor, but agreed. They do some really good work. The shine has faded from the game in the national spotlight, but for them it means a lot.

This is the most interesting the game has been in like 20 years since Army is finally competitive again.

Thank you im dumb as heck

Also fun fact that the sixth largest pyramid in the world is a giant loving bass pro shop.

ISU should be in the liberty bowl every year that’s gotta be like a trip to Mecca for their fans

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 4, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is literally the last thing Kinnick, University Heights, Iowa City or the State of Iowa needs, honestly.

Strongly disagree and also gently caress university heights

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Worse than Butch or Mac?

Those both made sense on paper and aren’t even the worst recent hires by either school. The Herm thing is baffling on every level

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Honestly they should just move the stadium 3 miles West out past the 218 off ramp.

They can’t move it now, there’s too much history there and they’ve sunk a ton of money into renovations, with more on the way. My dad used to work with the hospital and says there were apparently plans at one point to expand the hospital to where Kinnick is now but that was before the big renovation so obviously it got scrapped.

Remember when they built it it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The city has grown around it and that hospital exploded in size well after the stadium was built. That’s why I have zero patience for the morons in the neighborhood who whine about drunk people and noise. That stadium was there way before they were, they should have known what they were getting into.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you see it was unfair because it was very rainy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tactlessbastard posted:

Harbaugh got a dui? When?

When he was coaching USD

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

a neat cape posted:

I would just like to let you know that Desmond King owns and I love him

he rules the nfl is very dumb for not drafting him earlier

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mayfield is going to win with a historic landslide but I’m pleasantly surprised Love is there over Barkley and especially that Jackson made it. Jackson was as good or better this year as he was last and it felt like no one talked about him at all once it became clear the team wasn’t that great.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

I dont know if this is a better story or the dude who said Baker Mayfield was his intermural QB and then he convinced him to try out for the real team.

Pretty sure the story was that Lincoln Riley was his intramural QB, and that seems pretty believable given the timeline

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Excited for Josh Allen to somehow still be a first rounder while everyone tells Jackson to move to WR

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

It's more serious, because the rapist ultimately got expelled, and everyone involved with trying to cover things up got fired. Because ultimately, that's how things are supposed to work.

Lewan was never punished at all and they didn’t expel Gibbons until after he had used up his eligibility

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

the worst Heisman winner of all time somehow had the best fashion sense of all time

oh word gino torretta has weird pants too?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

http://mgoblog.com/content/sympathy-devil

Of course it was because the literal child he was playing against wasn’t Winning With Dignity lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
surely the school of joe mixon won’t handle this in the worst possible way

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Proteus Jones posted:

It's going to be interesting on how they deal with it.

I mean I get the Innocent Until Proven Guilty Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I think it's a really important part of our system of justice

This is the standard of proof for determining whether or not he receives criminal punishment, it doesn’t also need to be the standard for determining if he should face a suspension from the football team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Governor Kirby forced him out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have turned on games and saw USC thinking ISU was playing. Don’t care, even if ISU is ripping them off, they’re way better than the late 90s/00s uniforms were.

At least bring back the old logo.

No lie I will occassionally see billboards for USC and get briefly confused about why ISU is advertising in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

I have a friend that gets confused what day of the week it is when he sees Iowa playing and thinks it's the Steelers.

Well yeah that’s literally a direct ripoff, and they acknowledge it so it’s a little different, I think. Hayden intentionally took their uniforms because he was trying to help players feel like winners and that was a really successful sports franchise with the same colors. He asked the Steelers for permission before he did it too.

They changed so they were a less direct ripoff in the mid and late 90s with some really awful rebook uniforms but Kirk is from Pittsburgh and switched them back as soon as he took the job.

• Locked thread