Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

There's no great option here; everything is bad

An Alabama team that hasn't looked great and got pushed around by Auburn
An Ohio State that lost by 31 to Iowa, and also got manhandled by Oklahoma
A Wisconsin team that lost by a touchdown to that Ohio State team
A USC team that got blown out by Notre Dame and lost to Wazzu, with no real significant wins against anyone but Stanford

UCF is a good option and way more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Let this be a lesson, if you're a blue blood program you shouldn't schedule anyone with a pulse. Why Michigan started the Notre Dame series back up with a 9 game conference schedule instead of just pounding on an FCS team is beyond me

Bama scheduled Florida State, Clemson scheduled Auburn, Georgia scheduled Notre Dame and Oklahoma scheduled Ohio State.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Teddybear posted:

What exactly happened in that Syracuse-Clemson game, anyway? The fact that there's a real chance that the National Champion's only loss was to a team that got shredded by Boston College is mind boggling. And I say this as a BC fan.

Bryant went out with a head injury and Clemson really just didn't look like they came to play.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bama gets the most favorable game location out of anyone :-/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Josh Jackson intercepted the Big Ten’s playoff bid

They were losing before he left the game. They just straight up got their rear end kicked

They lost by three points and it was 17-14 at the half. In the sense that it's embarrassing to even play Syracuse tight if you're a top program they got their rear end kicked, but they still came close to stealing that game and probably could have done it with their starting QB.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

The group of 5 should just start their own playoff

UCF-Toledo and Boise-FAU would be fun as hell

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I’m just happy that those two games on NYD probably will be decent games. Has there been a good semifinal game other than OSU-Bama in ‘14?

Clemson-Oklahoma was okay for a while. Oregon-Florida State was extremely funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yates posted:

Basically you have the four least likeable teams in the nation backed by the four worst fan bases playing for the title. Wonderful.

Is there an alternate Michigan-A&M-ND-Florida State playoff?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

Most SA representatives from their uniformly awful fanbases are just fine.

Scionix posted:

HAHAHAHAHH ROLL TIDE BABY KISS THE RINGZ GONNA LOSE BY THIRTY TO CLEMSON BITCH AJ MCARRON SHOULD BE STARTING BITCH WOOOOOO

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All I remember is someone bought Von Dozier an avatar that said like "ANOTHER LOSS FOR NOOOOOOOOTRE DAME"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

is this the first time in like forever that army made a bowl?

E: oh whoops they went last year too

They're gonna win the CIC Trophy next week for the first time in 21 years or something

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

There cannot possibly be a Big Ten fanbase that’s still excited about a trip to Tampa, can we swap that out for a new bowl game already?

Minnesota has enough Hold Steady fans that would relish the chance to see Ybor City

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

What's with the skiing panda?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Mark Dantonio?

They're made for each other.

Mark Dantonio has won the conference multiple times as well as a Rose Bowl. I thought Michigan fans only cared about those two things and beating OSU?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I checked the replies on that tweet and deeply regret it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's almost like rape culture is horrifyingly ubiquitous across the country and especially in athletic programs!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Lewan was never punished at all and they didn’t expel Gibbons until after he had used up his eligibility

Also all the MSU guys got kicked off the team (don’t know if they got expelled) and the coach involved was fired.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Louis CK played for Oklahoma?

That was in private with forced witnesses!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/938192169810227202

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Now I am fired up about the Outback Bowl

Similarly, I am suddenly mad about the snub

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

I believe a lot of Mormons go on 2-year missions after high school so there's a gap between ending high school and getting into college

This is part of why BYU is usually good

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hed posted:

Reading all this poo poo about hiring OCs and hearing you talk guys about views makes me realize I can't articulate the diff between an Air Raid and "Baylor style offense".
Is there any place that I can study up? Maybe even with pictures?

The rookie thread?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I want nothing more than an election edition of Finebaum

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Harbaugh sliding down the chimney of his next great kicker's home

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He also loves milk!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This appears to be the Bowl GDT:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843832&perpage=40

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

Gendo's real issue with Killdawg was schematic fit and with poo poo like pink jerseys on injured players.

LOPHERS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/943964622419316743

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

I have a feeling the Bahamas bowl will get neutered by the NCAA after this exposure and we all missed the greatest one-off bowl ever.

But there have been three of them?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

HEART OF DALLAS BOWL

Utah vs. West Virginia

Dec. 26, 2017 | 1:20 p.m. ET on ESPN

Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas

Merry Christmas, no bowls today, next bowl is Tuesday.

That looks more exciting than I expected. I think last year it was Army vs North Texas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kittenmittons posted:

I think I'm more disappointed that Gus Johnson is not calling Denzel Ward's last game than I am about Ohio State not making the playoff.

Did you hear Gus last night? He sounds drat near suicidal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I kind of feel bad for Young Drew Magary, which is a first for USC quarterbacks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

also, justin jackson is a goddamn legend if he played for any other big ten school he'd be a big deal

He is very good and the whole conference being loaded in the backfield didn’t help him

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stanford band is corny but also lol
https://twitter.com/jnovak6795/status/946589430051110913

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

It's hard to know how to feel because they are objectively very unfunny but also they make they absolute worst people angry

They’re the Satanic Temple of marching bands

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s time to start the discussion: is the 2017 Big Ten the greatest conference in college football history?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm eager to see whether or not Saban puts in Tua if Clemson bottles up Jalen Hurts. I bet he won't.

They've had a very, very good bowl season, but keep in mind that every Big Ten team is bumped up in quality over its opponents because Ohio State did not make the playoff.

Even dropping the joke about being the best I don’t think that’s entirely true. The bowl committees have done a pretty good job finding even matchups. Penn State was ranked like two spots ahead of Washington, USC was a really hot team again, MSU and Wazzu were fairly evenly matched on paper if Wazzu had been at full strength. Even in the smaller bowls it’s not like Purdue, Northwestern or Iowa were heavy favorites.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress we go from the georgia win to watching bama score.

A field goal no less

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That Cotton Bowl was excellent compared to any BCS game that featured a Big East team post-2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Clemson had a bad night, and that game might go differently if they played again next week.

Our systems are designed to dole out fleeting moments of recognition to teams who have more of an almost-arbitrarily apportioned number of points awarded to whoever happens to get luckiest within a basically random time frame.

Within a blip on the cosmic scale we will all be gone from here and no one that remembers our existence will remain. The only universal constant is that A&M is rear end.

my dude

• Locked thread