Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The definitive Jurassic Park movie ranking is in order of release. The Lost World and JP3 weren't bad movies at all. But Jurassic World was barely even a movie. Though I do have a soft spot for Blue. And the dinosaurs looked fine.

Hopefully I've managed to piss off mostly everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Darko posted:

Depends on if you like wry straight laced satire/self parody or not (to be fair, most people weren't expecting that going in since the first movie was far more earnest in embracing its material).

JP3 was terrible though, and I actually prefer JW to it. JP3 has horrible pacing, attempts to be as earnest as the first film instead of being a film about sequels/films as TLW and JW attempted to do, and failed harder due to having weaker material to be "earnest" about. Also the direction was even weaker than JW which is worse coming off some of the great Spielberg scenes and shots in TLW as opposed to following up a more pedestrian movie like JP3.

Whatever else you can say about it, the direction for JP3 was absolutely not weaker than JW. That's crazy talk.

I don't think it's a great movie, but it's decent. Joe Johnston is a far, far better director than Colin Trevorrow.

e: And you can say JW was a film about sequels as much as you want but that doesn't make it good. I'll take earnest over meta any day.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 5, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still irrationally mad at the lack of dino feathers and will presently be going on a hunger strike until the issue is resolved to my satisfaction.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This teaser trailer shows him in a senate hearing or something which I guess will pretty much be all he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JvrgSPFbDs

Note also that the teaser leans really really heavily on the "Hey check out how many practical effects we're using this time!" message

If so that's a criminal underuse of Goldblum. He's the only Jeff Goldblum we have, we need to use him as much as we can while we still can.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The ending of The Lost World, with Malcolm asleep on the couch with his girlfriend while his daughter watches John Hammond speak on TV about how precious the now-undisturbed ecosystem on Isla Sorna is, seems to be a pretty big endorsement of the idea that the dinosaurs aren't all bad, and even if this view isn't imparted to Malcolm textually, it seems appropriate that his view might have changed a bit.

Especially because the script, which doesn't have the whole T. rex in San Diego portion, has a different final scene (which I only found out about just now because I was trying to look up what Hammond says), and it's pretty explicit that Malcolm's view has changed:

quote:

EXT. CEMETERY - DAY

Snow falls in a gray midwinter sky. In a cemetery, a group of
fifty MOURNERS is grouped around a gravesite next to a coffin
that is festooned with cascades of flowers. On a table, there
is an array of framed photographs --

-- of JOHN HAMMOND. A MINISTER reads from the Bible while the
Mourners wipe away tears. IAN MALCOLM stands a respectful
distance from the group, KELLY right beside him. Malcolm's
face is blank, tired, his sunburn out of place with the white
winter setting around him.

At gravesite, a Young Woman turns, looking back over her
shoulder. About sixteen, she's lovely, with long blonde hair
and an honest, open face. She notices Malcolm, recognizes
him.

She nudges a Young Man next to her, about thirteen years old.
The Young Man turns and breaks into a smile just as welcoming.

As the ceremony breaks up, they walk over to him.

MALCOLM
Hello, Lex. Tim.

LEX stands on her tiptoes and kisses Malcolm on the cheek.
TIM extends a hand and Malcolm shakes it.

MALCOLM (cont'd)
This is Kelly. My daughter.

They nod their hellos.

LEX
I'm glad you came, Dr. Malcolm

MALCOLM
I'm sorry about your grandfather.

TIM
Thank you.

LEX
We were going to call you, in a few
days. Tim and I have been thinking,
and we've decided we want people to
know about the island. About what we
all saw.

TIM
We think it's something our
grandfather would want us to do.

MALCOLM
(pause)
Why?

LEX
Because it's true.

Malcolm looks at her for a long moment.

MALCOLM
I know, Lex. But even if we're the
only ones who ever know, it'll still
be true. You see, I've decided
that if the world found out about
what your grandfather created, it
wouldn't be around for very long.

LEX
But -- it was real. You can't let
people go on saying it's not.

MALCOLM
That's the thing about reality.

He looks down at Kelly.

MALCOLM (cont'd)
Even when people stop believing in
it, it doesn't go away.

Kelly smiles and takes his hand, her slender fingers
interlocking with his.

EXT. JUNGLE - DAY

Back on Isla Sorna, we float over the deserted worker village,
moving lightly, as in a dream.

MALCOLM (V.O.)
Do you feel the cold wind blowing on
your face? That's real.

We sweep low, landing on the roof the helicopter took off
from, the nest below now careful rebuilt with straw and
scrap, a dozen unblemished eggs in the middle of it.

MALCOLM (V.O.)
Do you see the four of us, standing
here together, alive? That's real.

A PTERANODON land gently on the nest. Ever so carefully, it
positions itself over the eggs, lowers itself to roosting
position, and folds its giant wings around its body.

MALCOLM (V.O.)
And maybe that's still that matters.

The animal raises its head, opens its beak, and SQUAWKS
approvingly up at the heavens.

FADE OUT

Malcolm's whole point in the first movie is that these things are dangerous wild animals and they can't be controlled by man. And maybe they shouldn't have been brought back in the first place, but they're alive now, and they're real. They're a part of nature now, not exhibits in a theme park.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
That's why I laughed at the complaint that it was unrealistic for there to be a new park after the San Diego incident.

Dinosaurs actually exist now, there's too much money in it for the people trying to profit off of them to be impeded by the law in any meaningful way.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Top Gun posted:

In TLW book and movie it was explained that the animals survived because the herbivores were eating a heavy lysine diet and the carnivores would eat the herbivores and would get the amino acid through digestion. However almost all of these animals except the Rex in Fallen Kingdom were created long after the events of the original films so it’s possible they just dropped the lysine contingency altogether.

Which never made much sense because no animal is capable of synthesizing lysine on its own and the only possible way to get it is through diet.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

bobjr posted:

Clearly they're setting up a Blue and Chris Pratt buddy cop trilogy, which I'd be behind.

At this point I almost think saying "gently caress it" and just doing this with someone like Lord and Miller is the only way to make this franchise worthwhile going forward.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Timby posted:

I'm convinced that the original plan for the Indominus Rex "twist," back when it was called Diabolus Rex, was that it had human DNA because Wu decided humans were the biggest monsters of all.

There's absolutely no way this wasn't in an earlier script. Hell, they should have left it in.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Top Gun posted:

No it’s correct. On Isla Nublar the animals were fed lysine in their diet. The idea being if InGen stopped giving them their prepared food they would die off because they wouldn’t be able to get lysine from any other source on the island. However what they found out on Isla Sorna was the herbivores were eating plants that were lysine rich.

No, the dinosaurs are described as having been genetically engineered to be incapable of producing lysine on their own. That makes no sense, because you don't have to genetically engineer an animal to be incapable of producing lysine; that's just the way animals are.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean, in the case of an artificially created animal wouldn't you still have to make sure it does or does not do X thing when designing it?

Look, I don't want to harp on this too much, but this is an obvious case of Crichton just making a scientific goof. It doesn't actually matter, I was just pointing it out as a sort of interesting science fact. But it obviously has nothing to do with the InGen scientists not genetically engineering the dinosaurs into being miraculous lysine-producing animals, and for some bizarre reason describing it in a way that sounds nothing like that but exactly like they engineered them to be artificially deficient in some way.

There's also the fact that the lysine contingency was specifically meant to prevent the spread of dinosaurs in the outside world, which even the shortsighted InGen scientists would have known would not work since, as stated before, exogenous sources of lysine are abundant in nature. The InGen scientists are arrogant and operate with a severe case of tunnel vision, but they don't lack basic scientific literacy. No matter how you try to explain the fact that the dinosaurs don't produce lysine, the contingency still doesn't make sense.

But again, Crichton just made a goof. If I had to guess I'd say he mixed up the meanings of essential amino acids and non-essential amino acids. Non-essential (that is, nutritionally non-essential) amino acids are produced in the body and if your body doesn't produce enough for whatever reason and you don't adequately compensate through diet you'll eventually die. So I'm pretty sure that's what he was going for.

Disclaimer: I'm not a nutritional scientist any more than Crichton is so I may have gotten something wrong.

• Locked thread