Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What is Alchemist Code?

Alchemist Code is a FFT ripoff turn-based tactical game with a gacha by Gumi. The gameplay is serviceable with good art and a battery hungry 3d aesthetic but actual Final Fantasy Tactics is on mobile now. If you’ve already beaten it or just want another TTS game, it certainly fills that niche.

Gacha games are inherently poo poo but this game has a decently generous one. In JP, 5* characters are 10% chance and 4* are 20%. Also at an unspecified later date (several months or less?), you’ll be able to farm characters shards from hard missions, each mission limited to 3 per day. This is important because characters can be improved with their own shards, many characters are fine out of the box, others need a second or third copy and whale characters need seven copies total.

It also has a story which is more than some games I guess. There are some interesting themes regarding the legacy of war and violence and how it perpetuates itself in hatred except the writing and translation are pretty bad. I hope you like huzzah and Sasuke-like’s. I haven’t actually skipped anything but Dias sure as hell tempts me and I wouldn’t blame anyone for skipping it.

Last point, this game is very grindy. You gotta farm shards, equipment, zeni (money), items to level all of those and more. So just keep that in mind. I’d recommend doing the gem-based daily quests just to keep those rolling in but otherwise you don’t really have to be playing a ton of every day.

Gear? Stars? Equipment? What is all this poo poo?

Hey remember when I said there’s a lot of stuff to farm? Well, here it is.

Levels: Pretty self-explanatory, these are also for the character itself and unrelated to the job. Doing missions and stuff gives you xp but the best way to level is to use a consumable item, apples. There are event missions that drop these or tickets to summon them from various places.

Stars: They work as a rarity rating but it’s pretty easy to evolve low star characters up to 4 and 5. Evolving up a higher rarity doesn’t give higher stats or bonuses or anything but it does unlock another 5 limit breaks and raise the character’s max level. Some characters max out at 4 stars, they probably aren’t worth investing into.

Job: Jobs are where characters differentiate themselves. Each character can have up to 3 jobs, with the first always being unlocked. The second job requires 5 limit breaks, 25 shards and the 3rd job needs 15 limit breaks, an additional 125 shards. You equip equipment to level up jobs which also unlocks abilities at various job levels. Job levels outside of your current job don’t matter much but you can equip the basic abilities and passives of one job to any other job, letting you do a bit of customization.

Once you hit job level 11, you can fill out the equipment again and master the job. Doing this gives you some permanent stat boosts that apply to the base character for every job but it’s probably not something to shoot for unless you have nothing else to do.

Equipment: This isn’t like normal RPG equipment, they’re more like permanent stat boosts to a character. They can’t be removed or switched and exist just to give stats and raise job level. Adding equipment and raising job level is the best way to increase a character’s stats. A lot of the lower tier ones are available in shops for zeni. The higher level stuff usually needs to be farmed with many items taking 60 or 80 pieces.

You can enhance equipment but you lose the enhancement if you raise the job level so only enhance job level 11 equipment.

Gear: Gear is more like regular equipment. Characters can equip up to 3 gear, one accessory, one armor and one weapon but gear slots only unlock with limit breaks. Gear can also be enhanced and evolved, you need to disassemble gear to get shards to evolve it but atm this is pretty whale-bait-ish. Gear is pretty rare, the best way to get it is from the gear gacha but that costs gems. Some events give out gear but it’s not super critical, don’t stress about getting it.

Limit break: You can limit break using character shards which can be farmed from hard mode missions or by rolling a duplicate from the gacha. 5 star dupes gives 25 shards, 4 star gives 20 and so on. Every 5 limit breaks gives you something, the first five unlock the second job, the next 5 unlock a gear slot then 3rd job and 3rd gear slot. Filling all of them does something which I forget right now. Oh and the cost of limit breaking goes up by five shards every 5 breaks. The first star only costs 25 shards for the second job which is one 5* dupe, the second star costs 50 and the third, 75.

Rerolling and gem strategy
There’s a huge guide on this right here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uDFSwnhH7OkObkv8qNGsdHJfs4MWv00TiWK_PHw9zuQ/edit

TL;DR: It’s not worth doing a lot of rerolling or even rerolling at all. The story is pretty easy to complete with a few ranged units and rerolling takes forever in this game. Plus all the best characters will become farmable eventually. If you’re f2p or dolphin, just do the first step of the 3 step rare and gear summons, this comes out to 800 gems. Save for 2nd or 3rd step of limited banners.

New player tips:
Invest in the story characters and your strongest ones but not every character.

Buy out the stuff in the beginner shop, it only sticks around for the first 7 days and refreshes every day.

Some ranged characters can kill enemies outside of the activation range, make use of this.

Doing story missions and completing the milestones is the best way to level up but keep in mind AP (energy) maxes out at 1k.

Dias is terrible.

You can set a defense team in the arena, make sure you do this unless you want to lose a lot of ranks.

You can solo multiplay if you want and have a strong enough unit, it’s a great way to get materials since even hosting it’s only half the price of a normal mission plus it’s always available.

Check the shops for equipment you need, usually it's easier to farm the zeni to buy than the equipment.

This OP is already long so ask questions in thread if you got them. I’m by no means an expert since the game only came out a couple of weeks ago but I’ll do what I can. Huzzah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I've been using chihaya for better element variety but the AI is so goddamn bad, she will only attack if she's depleted her mana

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, it's painful to watch your dudes in arena sometimes. Usually I just skip it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm doing this thing as SaxophoneSA if anyone wants to look me up. I'm running Vettel as a lead at the moment.

So far I'm really enjoying the game.

I will say, unless you're just brainlessly trying to get through easy missions or doing the basic/intermediate missions either play on manual, or make a party of your strongest ranged with "use skills" turned off. I run a 2 melee 2 ranged party and frequently turn it on auto on harder levels, but then kind of babysit it and turn it back to manual if I need to intervene, or pull Dias' dumb, paper rear end out of a fire.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Started playing yesterday. Pulled a Magnus at start, just did second step and pulled another Magnus and Elizabeth. Do I want gun Magnus or rocket Magnus?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

CubeTheory posted:

Started playing yesterday. Pulled a Magnus at start, just did second step and pulled another Magnus and Elizabeth. Do I want gun Magnus or rocket Magnus?

Get Rocket. Learn bombshell. Tilt your head back slightly and laugh. Congratulations, you've just trivialized an enormous amount of content.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I'm ChamberSA in game so send me an add.

Got this yesterday, liking the fact it didnt take 50 rerolls to get some decent characters. I pulled Lucian and Rahu which are apparently pretty good so i'm happy. Dont have Rahu in my current party though as she doesnt really have the abilities yet that make her so powerful late game so current story squad is Lucian, Almira and Megistos (two average ranged guys as ranged seems to clear up in story) and the protagonist.

Only 5* i pulled was zahar but he's apparently pretty terrible so might not bother leveling him much.

Using this tier list as it's apparently the most up to date and seems to have all the current characters (plus a few asian exclusives), but it's chinese so i'm not sure if their version's characters differ in terms of stats or not?

It seems comparable to other tier lists i've seen though. Bottom row are top support picks.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 4, 2017

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Debating if i roll all three steps on this banner. I don't know how good the melda or whatever her name is but the other 3 featured units are good and I could use a second yomi

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Knowlue posted:

Debating if i roll all three steps on this banner. I don't know how good the melda or whatever her name is but the other 3 featured units are good and I could use a second yomi

I think we're about to get a collab banner on the 7th with brave frontier, so you might want to at least hold off until that drops since you have 10 days to decide to pull on the current one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I could use another Yomi to make mine a ninja, but at least I have a Lucien.

I have Yomi up as my mercenary.
My Friend ID is: HZB2SUA2

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Saxophone posted:

Get Rocket. Learn bombshell. Tilt your head back slightly and laugh. Congratulations, you've just trivialized an enormous amount of content.

Yeah, Bombshell seems pretty good. 2 days into this game, I just hit level 40 and ran out of stamina for the first time. What is the player level cap?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
This is pretty fun so far. I have Caris up as my merc, friend ID is 1A2TX05D.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

One thing to note is that with the exception of a few units (two examples are in the current banner) and colab units (Brave Frontier is one example), EVERY OTHER UNIT WILL EVENTUALLY BE FARMABLE.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Game is good and there's a lot of potential. For regular gatcha players, the first 10 summons for a new banner is 500 gems and the game gives you 60 gems a day just for completing your dailys so you can easily summon every new round just by normally playing the game. The rates are also pretty good for a gatch especially considering it's Gumi running the show.

One of the things the OP didn't touch much on is that this game has actual multiplayer. You can see players move and play in real time (unlike in 'multiplayer' modes from other gatcha games) and we're suppose to be getting multiplayer PVP as well which I'm looking forward to if it's not automated. There also seems to be a lot of potential with combos and the like while at the same time, remaining pretty easy to pick up and drop down.

Friend ID is BFH3VBBO if anybody needs an extra Caris

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Just Chamber posted:

I'm ChamberSA in game so send me an add.

Got this yesterday, liking the fact it didnt take 50 rerolls to get some decent characters. I pulled Lucian and Rahu which are apparently pretty good so i'm happy. Dont have Rahu in my current party though as she doesnt really have the abilities yet that make her so powerful late game so current story squad is Lucian, Almira and Megistos (two average ranged guys as ranged seems to clear up in story) and the protagonist.

Only 5* i pulled was zahar but he's apparently pretty terrible so might not bother leveling him much.

Using this tier list as it's apparently the most up to date and seems to have all the current characters (plus a few asian exclusives), but it's chinese so i'm not sure if their version's characters differ in terms of stats or not?

It seems comparable to other tier lists i've seen though. Bottom row are top support picks.

Keep in mind that when people are talking about how terrible/useless certain characters are, they are talking about where those characters end up in the Japanese rankings 6+ months down the road. Any 5* at this point will make your life easier, as they haven't been surpassed by the available content yet.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Game is good and there's a lot of potential. For regular gatcha players, the first 10 summons for a new banner is 500 gems and the game gives you 60 gems a day just for completing your dailys so you can easily summon every new round just by normally playing the game. The rates are also pretty good for a gatch especially considering it's Gumi running the show.

One of the things the OP didn't touch much on is that this game has actual multiplayer. You can see players move and play in real time (unlike in 'multiplayer' modes from other gatcha games) and we're suppose to be getting multiplayer PVP as well which I'm looking forward to if it's not automated. There also seems to be a lot of potential with combos and the like while at the same time, remaining pretty easy to pick up and drop down.

Friend ID is BFH3VBBO if anybody needs an extra Caris

Yeah, people should also know that you can long press on arena opponents to see their team and then long press on units to see how much of a whale they are their stats. There aren't many characters yet but you can try to structure your team to beat theirs by using counter elements or moving a strong melee to be across from a weak ranged character or something.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

overseer07 posted:

Keep in mind that when people are talking about how terrible/useless certain characters are, they are talking about where those characters end up in the Japanese rankings 6+ months down the road. Any 5* at this point will make your life easier, as they haven't been surpassed by the available content yet.

Hmm good to know.

Do the coins become important and more scarce later on? At the moment I'm just hiring the level 70 or whatever mercs at 12000 a pop to auto each story level asap. Seeing as I have like 2 Mil it isn't really making a dent.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Just Chamber posted:

Hmm good to know.

Do the coins become important and more scarce later on? At the moment I'm just hiring the level 70 or whatever mercs at 12000 a pop to auto each story level asap. Seeing as I have like 2 Mil it isn't really making a dent.

Yeah, gold can become scarce once you start leveling equipment and gears. I had 8 million this weekend and took myself down to 14k gold in less than an hour.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
If you're just starting, there's zero reason to blow money on mercs for the story anyways. You'll quickly become strong enough that the enemies do 1 damage if you're doing the daily quests.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

Hmm good to know.

2 million isn't much. Raising an ability to level 20 costs 800k or something, basically everything costs zeni. You should farm it whenever you have the chance, gold rush or whatever shows up in the event missions every few days but you can only do 3 a day. On weekends, doing all the daily missions gives you a bunch of AP and special keys to unlock an event mission. You can run it an unlimited time but only for 30 minutes and then you gotta spend another key.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The game seems to think my username has a swearword so I'm in as IamXtan : MGYATNOR

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Cheers for the coin advice. Just pulled Lofia from a challenge ticket summon, she seems pretty strong

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

We get Chloé from beating the last stage of the event right? Struggling to beat even with a Magnus rocketman as a Merc

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You get Chloe from completing the event card thing on the main screen. Don't remember if the last one is beating the Hard event quest though, you can always use gems to resurrect if it is.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've been enjoying this game and the not ludicrous rates for good units. I have Rahu and chronomancy+heals from the priest job is super broken.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

You get Chloe from finishing all the Challenges (the thing that pops up over the friends button). I never beat the hard quest event solo, so I'm pretty sure that's not part of it. I think that's just for her weapon.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

ZombieApostate posted:

You get Chloe from finishing all the Challenges (the thing that pops up over the friends button). I never beat the hard quest event solo, so I'm pretty sure that's not part of it. I think that's just for her weapon.

Correct. She's the reward for finishing challenge card 4. The event is completely unrelated to getting Chloe.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Maintenance is in an hour and a half so spend your ap.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Spend? I'm still at like 900/75

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Managed to get Selena twice on the 500 pull so yay? Sitting on 3000 gems now, not sure what to spend them on though

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

The only positives I got from the 500 step was 2 extra almiras.

e: step 2 got selena.

Knowlue fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 7, 2017

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Looking to start. What banner should I be pulling from for rerolling?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Turn based tactics :dance:

On your phone :negative:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh man.

1st pull on the collab banner: Selena

1st pull on the other banner:. Meilikka

1st pull on weapons banner:. Pure unfiltered garbage.

Still though, I'll take it.

1300 gems and I basically have what I wanted minus maybe Anastasia.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I got a rahu which is cool. Apparently chronomancers are the big first meta.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

How good is Selena? Is it worth pulling third step to get her second job? In terms of water units, I have an Elizabeth and Lamia although I only run elizabeth right now

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

loving rip.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Got Selena on my first and only 5-step pull for Brave Frontier

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 8, 2017

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Zotix posted:

Looking to start. What banner should I be pulling from for rerolling?

Selena is time limited but you honestly don't need to kill yourself rerolling.

Just Chamber posted:

Managed to get Selena twice on the 500 pull so yay? Sitting on 3000 gems now, not sure what to spend them on though

Pull the first round of the equipment one and save the rest unless you're looking to whale out for Selena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Kegslayer posted:

Selena is time limited but you honestly don't need to kill yourself rerolling.

Pull the first round of the equipment one and save the rest unless you're looking to whale out for Selena.

Yea not going to bother much with her, she doesnt look that great compared to a lot of the other characters I have.

Is it me or is there no way to preview the level of the enemies you're about to face when going into a stage? If there is I cant see it.

• Locked thread