Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
ah yes the funy computer forum, obviously the best place to post this

i originally thought of myself as just another dumb idiot cis male but in the last two years and especially the last two months i've been noticing that i might actually be trans and a lot of that cis thought might just be repression from the environment and my upbringing (my family was fairly conservative and even as recently as 2015 i had to deal with a family member calling a trans person "transvestite" as an insult and deadnaming them intentionally)

it's kind of like running "gender defrag.exe" complete with "gently caress realized another repressed memory, starting over" and it will probably take about as long as the real one before i really know what the hell is going on in my dumb idiot brain

e: also i'm asexual. it feels weird to consider that under 'queer' though, but i guess that'll feel more normal eventually since i only really realized that a week ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Raere posted:

You don't have a dumb idiot brain because you're questioning yourself. Every person questions their identity as some point, most people just don't want to say so out loud.

oh the dumb idiot part isn't because of gender/sex poo poo, it's just a default feature

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Peeny Cheez posted:

Not A-shaming here, but have you considered that your lack of interest in and/or drive for sex might be a repressive reflex to being in a body you don't feel comfortable in? Again, no shaming or denialism, but if you're not comfortable in your own skin you're not going to be comfortable in anyone else's.
this is definitely a thought that recently crossed my mind, but i've noticed that even typical depictions of the act are offputting. so while it might change, for now at least, that's how it seems to be.

quote:

And I can completely understand the family angle--my family wasn't particularly conservative or religious, but the day-to-day casual poo poo and my dad trying to beat his sexuality out of me kept me from being completely me for a long time.
it sucks for me because i still live in my hometown. most of my family is within 10 or 15 miles. i've mostly gone dark or n/c with some of them for other reasons, though.

quote:

At any rate, you've made a big step here and you should be proud of yourself. Reflect, explore and when poo poo gets bad--it almost certainly will--just try to remember that who you are and how you feel is not a matter of consensus. If you're not hurting anyone, then gently caress all and sundry.

If you have a local LGBTQ center, definitely check it out. There are people there who can help you through the rough spots and teach you how to get the next generation through their rough spots.
i've been questioning this short of poo poo for years, but only in recent time have i actually seriously thought about any of it. and when i do, i feel like i'm still finding excuses. "i waited this long", or "what if i realize that isn't the case at all", and so on. poo poo that everyone tells me they've gone through, too.

i probably won't go to any center, at least not yet. it's a lot easier to talk about this poo poo online.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
structured queery language

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i imagine the reason we see a lot more queer folks in the tech space is just because it's much easier for queer folks to meet up on the internet. it's much harder for thousands of people to all show up at some building in some city than it is for us to just gather online, and of course our networks spread out much further than the ones we have in-person.

there's probably also an aspect that people who are involved with or using tech are also more aware of queerness in general. i didn't even know what transgender stuff was (or gay/les/bi/etc.) until some time on the internet, just because the place i grew up in and the family i grew up around made sure that sort of thing was otherwise totally quashed

unscientific anecdotal guesses of course

e: also the anonymous apsect of it. i can come out as trans and talk about my gender poo poo here without having to worry about my idiot conservative boss freaking out like he did when someone had the audacity to color their hair

e 2: it is very, very strange how easily "come out as trans" managed to get written there after literally months and probably years of very carefully evading ever directly mentioning it

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 7, 2017

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i tend to give people the benefit of the doubt re misgendering when i see it happen the first time. if they do it after being corrected or told then i just assume they're being an rear end in a top hat. but most of that is just because i used to be someone like this:

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's easy to forget that a huge chunk of the population doesn't really know anything about transpeople.

unfortunately most of the us education system barely even handles hetero sex ed beyond "lol don't". things like orientation and gender identity are so foreign to most people that the sheer concept that someone could be different than what it might look like is mind-boggling. and of course half the adults in the us generally would prefer anybody like us vanish off the face off the planet

i've been working on replacing using "he" for default with "they" and i still slip up every now and then because it's deprogramming 25 years of that

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
could you just say "starting next time i'm going to be doing roll calling, if your name/pronoun is different from your legal one please send me an email at sagebrush@whatever.edu"? that way they could contact you without being outed.

alternatively you could ask everyone to write down their student id and name/pronouns and hand in those sheets

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
how do people make a decision about gender bullshit, anyway

i went from "haha i'm trans :downs:" to "i don't know poo poo and i think i'm full of it :saddowns:" again today and just like. gently caress, how do people decide this. i'm not really dysphoric other than hating facial hair and my awful body, i think about it sometimes but it's not like it's a huge issue to me

it seems so easy for everyone else. just saying "i feel kind of trans" feels like a huge loving copout what do you even do past that

(obvious answer: therapy)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i don't mean this in a hostile way or anything but, what exactly do you think dysphoria is...

but yeah as other posters said seek therapy, it's super helpful. it's a person who knows all the weird dumb ways your brain fucks with you and has seen tons of these patterns before

that's the thing: i don't entirely know. i follow a lot of trans folks in various places and when they talk about being dysphoric it sounds like anything from upsetting to like, panic-attack inducing at points. and in my case i just feel mildly irritated. the kind of mild irritation you get when you hit every red light in a row.

i think i was just in a bad place last night. i feel better today. i'm doing what i can w/ therapy but the last therapist i tried seeing was not a pleasant experience so i'm working up the mental strength to try finding another one.

Progressive JPEG posted:

is "bro" gendered? what about "bra"?

i also use "yall"

use bra when you're in the company of your best buds because bras are supposed to be supportive

:suicide:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

one thing to consider in general is that if you have had something suppressed for long enough whether through somewhat consciously doing so or as a result of depression or something, it may feel like you only feel it a little now. But actually investigating it or lifting depression or w/e can lead to you realizing you really feel that quite a bit.

the key is really that if it really was a big issue after all it will hit you at some point on its own seemingly out of nowhere when you aren't prepared for it. While finding it now is about as prepared as you can be and also means that you'll probably be doing something about it to help asap, so it never gets the chance to build up worse.

that's the situation i'm in, yeah.

reddit, but someone linked me to a post on asktransgender asking if cis folks ever thought about their gender, or what it would be like to be different, and the response was usually "as a cis person, i don't think about it at all".

i've been having to realize that the feelings i'm experiencing (self-loathing, dysphoria, Gender Feels™, etc) aren't normal, i've just internalized them to the point i thought they were. see also "what do you think dysphoria is", above

a friend of mine is getting their facial hair lasered off in the near future and i'm considering doing it myself. i've thought about it before but always had "well, what if i actually want it at some point" doubts, but i'm beginning to realize i'm never actually going to have those doubts and i should just loving do it already

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Changed my pronouns in my Twitter bio a week or so ago and someone finally noticed and asked me about it.

So then I proceeded to write what was originally a short "well, uh" response and then that just sort of spiraled into a big "here's all my thoughts about my gender bullshit, and also i'm trans i guess" public coming-out post.

People were supportive but it doesn't feel like the accomplishment people made it out to be. I just wrote words. :confuoot:

cis autodrag posted:

big ol post about everything, goddamn
this was a good read, thanks. are bananas and potassium poo poo really that bad for trans women? i don't want to accidentally put my partner (or my future self???) in the hospital from a banana/strawberry smoothie

also w/r/t gender markers, is there a good resource on name changes and that sort of poo poo on a state-by-state basis? my partner's in a weird position where she was born overseas so the "notice of birth" or w/e is a complicating factor. she'd originally paid some cash to an in-town lawyer to help sort everything out, and then it turned out that after a ton of years he was actually a big fraud and vanished :downs:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

cis autodrag posted:

Yes. Spironolactone is a potassium sparing diuretic. That means your kidneys are working double time but not passing potassium very quickly. This results in potassium buildup in the kidneys if you take in too much too quickly and can lead to renal failure. The biggest risks are salt substitutes and bananas because of their relatively high amount of potassium, but you should really be minimizing intake as much as possible. Also upping your sodium intake because you are losing a lot of it because, again, it's a diuretic.

None of that applies if you've had your testes removed (not on Spiro anymore), or are using a different testosterone blocker (which you won't be in the US because the fda doesn't allow it).

Also note that estrogen ups your risk of blood clots and nicotine makes it worse so if either of you smoke, now is a really good time to knock that poo poo off.

alright. hopefully some chunks in a fruit smoothie won't be a huge issue.

i don't have any immediate plans for hrt right now, so i'm not really worried about it myself.

it's funny in a way, after i wrote that big long mess i feel a lot better. i just don't know why it took this long.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

cis autodrag posted:

Our dumb brains work in mysterious ways.

you can say that again :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

UberJew posted:

i didn't recognize dysphoria as dysphoria until i had come out to myself as trans, because my hatred of my own image was 'because im fat and ugly' or w/e

it wasn't until after i started taking steps to transition that i realized how much body and facial hair made me miserable, before that i would like keep a long beard just b/c it was easier to not touch it or think about it

so basically i don't think there IS an easy way to tell, especially because whether you have dysphoria or not and if so what you have dysphoria about is so different between people

i don't have any genital dysphoria, but for lots of people that is the biggest thing

this is pretty much my experience, then once i admitted it to myself i promptly buried it and haven't spoken of it again since. oops. i'm bad at this.

like everyone else said, talk to a therapist. try several if you don't think the one you found is working out.

also, the ""fun"" part of dysphoria/trans-feelings is trying to figure out what they mean before you entirely understand it. like at least if you punch a wall you go "that hurt and was dumb, i shouldn't do that" but if you feel just vaguely uncomfortable you don't really have anything to compare it to. surely some people hate their facial hair, right? and there's enough gender change media out there that other people probably think like this but that doesn't mean anything, etc. denial can be pretty stron

in the end, you're really the only person that knows yourself. other people can help you figure it out though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
never worry about not seeing your friends by never having any in the first place :unsmith:

i'm still trying to convince my useless depressed brain to do something of value. i need to get into the habit of shaving regularly instead of just every week or two because seeing myself without facial hair feels good, it's just impossible to work up the motivation to do it regularly. also trying to figure out therapy and psychologist bullshit but not exactly eager to find out that any appointment is going to be months away

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i just assume that someone identifying as a "trap" is the same kind of person who identifies as an apache attack helicopter: an rear end in a top hat that is not serious and also almost certainly not worth associating with, ever

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Well, I’ve literally always hated looking in the mirror, but I chalked it up to depression and being fat. But maybe the depression is a thing...

gently caress, this is heavy.

this is basically exactly how i've been feeling for the last few years.

then i noticed i felt better when i took certain steps to change my outer appearance. it's nothing major: staying cleanly shaven as much as i can, long hair, using those goofy hair scrunchies. and then i started to put two and two together, and here i am.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m going to dip my toes in and change my hairstyle to minimize my massive widows peak and grow it out nicely. See how it feels. Shaving is such a pain in the rear end either way that I’m considering laser hair removal no matter what happens.

i need to look into that poo poo too, at some point.

that and maybe braiding my hair. it's long enough to do that now, i think

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it works out because when you see one of those trans-exclusive jerks you can say "bi bi" and walk away :haw:

(i hope this joke isn't panned too heavily)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So I'm wearing my hair a bit differently now, to cover more of my forehead without being straight up bangs. I also looked up some voice feminization coaching videos on youtube, and tried them out a little.

And my mom commented that I seemed happier the past few days. And I liked how my voice sounded using the coaching. I just wish my hair didn't grow at like 2 inches a year.

:unsmith:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
two friends of mine independently said that i have been 'presenting differently' since what could weakly be called my coming-out post, despite me mostly not... feeling like i'm doing anything different?

i haven't made much progress at all in anything, and still have no idea if or when i will. :effort:

i had a boss like that that would regularly tell us all to turn off our emotions and just work, and then proceed to get real mad and yell at us a bunch over relatively minor things, i'm sure the two aren't related at all :allears:

this is pretty much how the boss of this place operates. feelings are overrated, just be a cog.

it sucks.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i gave my boss a bit of slack on this cuz he was just kinda forced into the management position because the company didn't want to hire an actual manager and instead just made one of the devs do it, so all his management knowledge came from his experience in the soviet military :v:

when he wasn't being forced to poorly manage everyone he was a pretty smart and cool guy with a lot of stories, and he used to tell us fun soviet military slogans like "an idle soldier is a criminal" :allears:

e: he'd also talk about the soviet version of winnie the pooh sometimes because everyone liked hearing him say "vinnie poo" and nobody but me would get that he's talking about the soviet one, and once I mentioned Hedgehog in the Fog and he was like "how the hell do you know what that is" and was real surprised :3:

unfortunately the owner here was an owner previously and has his own military experience, so it isn't something i can really afford him slack on.

quote:

cis autodrag words

i assume that if you know someone asking them one-on-one "what would you prefer i call you" wouldn't be too terribly taboo, would it?

e: im good at bbcode

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 31, 2018

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
probably also worth mentioning that it's not just eating less but eating better as well. see a doc, get checked out, make sure you're getting all the right poo poo your body needs.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
my partner had a dream last night just before waking up where I apparently appeared with even longer hair and a more feminine appearance and I asked her (in the dream) if I should just go out to the living room and tell everyone I'm a girl

i know it's just some silly dream, but it felt... good? to hear.

some day. :unsmith:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what game is it?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
friend of mine came out to their parents a few days ago, and said their parents responded "better than expected" by "only" making casual misgendering jokes instead of being full-bore awful.

and then a day or two later they actually became fully awful about everything, including demanding to know why she didn't come out sooner, or how she could do this to them, etc etc etc.

my only advice was :sever:, but just. christ. why do parents always gotta be terrible

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

i have some cousins who were raised hyper hyper fundamentalist christian and two of them are queer -- one is gay and the other is non-binary. when the first of them came out their mom cried for weeks about "what did i do wrong" and dad refused to talk to them at all. but over time the parents got woke and backed way off from the fundamentalism and accepted their kids' reality and now the whole family participates in pride events and stuff :unsmith:

yeah i'm hoping that for this person they come around but i'm seeing a lot of symptoms of narc parents and that situation never ends well.

meanwhile every since privately coming out and putting more thought to gender bullshit i'm starting to really get a feel for what dysphoria is like and goddamn it sucks;
the best way to put is before i really thought about it i was gloriously oblivious to the problem and now that i have a good idea of what it is it's starting to really bother me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a lot of people i'm close with have narcissistic parents, including myself, so :sever: is usually the only good option when dealing with family

i keep reminding the people close to me that family isn't who raised you or who birthed you, it's who you're close to and who you care about the most

it helps sometimes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

cis autodrag posted:

testosterone

speaking of, i wonder if my levels are still hosed up

it's always been kind of weird to hear people who had t levels of like 800+ before hrt, or slowly getting it down to 350 or so after a year or two

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL, MALES (ADULT), IA

Reference range: 250-827

You: 182
it was < 125 three years ago. i'm not actually on any meds, just. yeah.

it was apparently bad enough that when i saw an endo proper they straight up asked me if i'd had some sort of injury (none that i know of other than posting in yospos)

i'm actually supposed to be on T proper, but even 3 years ago i was having some trans questions and just... didnt ever take it, welp.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you want to quote anything i said (did i even say anything of consequence here? i forgot) feel free to quote me and if you do i'm glad i could help you out in some way.

e: gently caress, new page. sorry

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i would never come out to family, but i've had many years to decide that before i started to really think about the gender stuff.

besides, the last thing i need is for my mother to have yet another reason to show up unannounced and unwelcome at my workplace. toxic family is hosed up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i know a few poly people. my partner is one of them and she's nice.

poly people seem to show up a lot in the circles i'm in.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Improbable Lobster posted:

the nb person (is there a shorter way to say that) i'm talking to has never heard of the trailer park boys, what the gently caress
i hear "enby" a lot

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there's always the twitter knockoff "mastodon" which has been gaining popularity as a decentralized social media net. my exposure is limited but it's full of queer people. since anybody can host their own instance of it there's also a bunch of queer-oriented ones.

if you don't like the fundamental way twitter works though mastodon won't be much better

cis autodrag posted:

your new avatar is pretty good :shittydog:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
im gonna own this queer poster by giving them a cute dog as an avatar. :owned:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm just reminded of the anti-steroid commercials that showed a bunch of sports balls shrivelling up

steroids and the culture around them is weird

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

this legit sounds like something off an as-seen-on-tv ad

congrats on filling your asspirations

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

cis autodrag posted:

Fast. But the vicodin locks you up for a while so I haven't gone yet.

Basically you've got a 10 minute shot clock on a poop sesh so blood flow isn't cut off from the booty.

gamefaqs infinite turbo and super dunk code

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
one of my friends just started the whole hrt thing and it's really good seeing how excited they are

it was cool to hear that the stuff i wrote about my own gender bullshit helped them too

i just wish i wasn't somewhat jealous about it, since i'm still dealing w/ my own gender thought bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
this surgery sounds like a real pain in the rear end