Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
Hello I'm friend. I'm going to clarify and say I can reach my thigh, its more down to that I can't bend over like a pretzel and do my own butt and my thighs are too sensitive for injections. Butt, hip, thigh and arm are all fine provided you put it into an area of fat.

Shifty Pony posted:

apparently injecting with the draw needle is routine for diabetes, but that's a SQ injection of only 0.2-1ml using a 30ga needle. giving the vial a wipe and letting it dry before drawing is all it takes.

blew my mind when my wife was practicing her diabetes teaching spiel on me.

oh my god no no no, injecting with a drawing needle is pure misery because you blunt the needle and drawing needles tend to have a much muuuch thicker diameter which translates into a lot of very nasty bad pain because it takes longer to clot and causes more disruption to the adipose tissue and often means you risk striking muscle -- or worse, that it runs off and leaks which is more waste.

you should also be mindful of voids in your syringes (ie, does the rubber part fill the hub to push the contents of the hub into the needle or not? That loss is not insignificant and adds up over time).

depending on the quality of what you're working with (eg, if you're doing 'bathtub' stuff) you should be super mindful of whether or not a filter is recommended because this also creates voids.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

i keep forgetting you have an account now :v:

ye, there's just no alert system so if someone quotes me I often don't know unless someone tells me. i'm very spoiled by modern websites sadly.

Gnossiennes posted:

I did subq test shots for a couple years when I started transitioning. at least for test, it doesn't really matter if you do subq or im (although the packaging says im only). actual subdermal is probably not ideal tho.

that said, I stopped doing injections due to a combo of a) gradually increasing self-injection phobia, and b) injection site lumps from a reaction to the cyprionate ester and not rotating location enough on a diff ester. the lumps kinda fed the phobia.

if you do subq, rotate your sites, and not just sides, but also like, upper/lower abdomen, flank, butt, etc.

yes, 100% rotate your sites but also like, learn to love your lumps too. i always think to myself "well while i have a lump that probably means its working" and i've come to check with my hand to ask myself mentally "have I had an injection recently?" and i can judge how long ago it was based on the soreness of the lump and its a good way combined with my general mood and mental state to judge if my dose was too high or too low recently. i get that freeballing is discouraged when you're doing injections but my metabolism is all over the place due to anemia and seratonin regulation problems.

one thing i've learned is if your estrogen levels are high enough your body just stops making testosterone if you've spent long enough on anti-androgens like spiro over the years (i was on spriro for like 11 years and on a pretty high dose by accident??). i'm still due a blood-test soonish to verify that its still working though so don't take what i say as gospel or anything.

that said i am very happy to feel my basic romantacism is coming back though i'm very surprised by how its changed. something in my brain is like "no, we're an adult, we're supposed to be verse because that's what adults do" and the other part of me is like "haha oh no he is sooo tall haha we are soooo short teehee". some how i'm transitioning very well (about the only time i don't pass is when someone sees my legal documents and asks if i've brought someone elses passport) yet i still have unresolved bottom anxiety. what even is the human experience at this point?

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Gnossiennes posted:

they're scar tissue lumps that haven't completely dissipated after over three years since switching to using test gel instead. so if they're lumps that aren't going away, no amount of loving them is going to make them stop being really painful to inject into, unfortunately!

That's absolutely fair. I feel very fortunate and very lucky in that my lumps tend to go down in the time of around two weeks or so, so if I circulate them by around four inches or so, I end up with two lumps -- one big and one small and they're just things that go away eventually if I just let them.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

would you call them your lovely lady lumps

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Ciaphas posted:

i keep looking in the mirror and trying to catch a glimpse of her, but all i see is a gross, balding almost-middle-aged man trying to look different out of some twisted loving perversion

i miss her

Your eyes and the networks which wall you off from reality and truth lie to you. She is there, but she is not in the mirror: She stands with your feet, feeling her knuckles white and her throat hurt with the wincing ache of dysphoria. You are one and the same, even if every network in your body is screaming at you. That scream is the sound of disconcordant notes: the clash of the notes of your truest self grating against what remains against.

Think of music and sound. Of overtones, undertones, and resonant frequencies. Think of how octaves and ranges are constructed.

You are music and identity is a song: shaped of a person and right now two differing songs are contrasting one another. Think of the factors in sound, how the 5:4 major third shares the fourth and 5th overtone or how 3:2 perfect fifths share the 2nd and third and others. Now think of the harmonic series. When the notes do not sympathize or resonate, there is a harsh metallic interference.

The fact you hear the interference pattern is proof that you exist against the shell you were forced to create.

The interference will become louder before the resonance settles and you begin to harmonize. Do not be unsettled or frightened by it, simply because it makes you aware of things you previously were not: It is a hill and you can climb and overcome it. The clash is proof that there are now two songs forming. That what you are doing is working.

The perversion is fear, or concern that the interference is some sort of monster. You are no more a monster than a baby bird is while still emerging from its shell: It is not capable of flight yet, but if it doesn't leave the egg, it never will be.

It took me twenty years to learn this lesson and because of it, I am now living rather than just alive:

You are her. You are made to fly. The sky is less without you. You will survive

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 31, 2022

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

yeah my depression brain gives me the same sort of "well i tried, failed, that's that. i'm a coward, a failure, that's the end" brain pattern all the time and it's complete bullshit. that was one try, and emails are free. you can write an email any time, and the support group will be none the wiser about the earlier attempt. you can write one right now, in fact. you can write one right now and kick the goddamn rear end of your supposed "coward" self with nothing but an email.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
Genderpearls is also very popular among zoomers.

If you don't get that one, you're Old Now™

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Zamujasa posted:

is that the good ending version of the "in minecraft" meme

Yessum.

Improbable Lobster posted:

forgot to post this here

THINGS I WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME MANY YEARS AGO THAT I WILL SAY BUT I MUST ALSO SAY I AM NOT A DOCTOR SO PLEASE DO YOUR OWN READING:

Even if you are NOT self-medding and you have a VERY GOOD DOCTOR who SEEMS TO BE DOING IT PROPERLY, you should know what is happening in your own body.

Doctors are human and they make mistakes. Being your own failsafe is incredibly valuable, and may save your own life.

HRT is not something to take lightly. It is a process involving steroid hormones and almost every medication which influences your endocrine system will have knock-on-effects on the rest of your body that you need to keep a close eye on.

With that in mind, know that spironolactone is also sold as aldactone: Its primary purpose is as a heart medication, designed to reduce swelling in the heart, kidneys and organs, remove salt without making you lose potassium and lower blood pressure.

I say again: It is a heart medication: You are a person with a healthy cardiovascular system taking a medication designed to alter the behavior of your cardiovascular system. Antiandrogen is a side-effect of the medication for most patients. For you, the medication's primary effects *are* the side-effects.

Be very careful with spironolactone in the long run, and don't go over 100mg daily if you can help it. Spironolactone isn't really meant to be used as a long-term anti-androgen and has a lot of effects on the body that risk affecting your ability to properly metabolize iron which is why a huge number of transgirls are anaemic, even after they come off the meds.

Likewise, spironolactone monotherapy is actually kind of dangerous and cause problems with your bones.

For this reason, make absolutely sure you are getting regular blood tests which evaluate your iron, calcium and magnesium levels especially and go easy on anything containing potassium since your kidneys can't filter it out anywhere near as effectively now: Spironolactone or aldactone is a heart medicine, primarily depending on its use as a CYP2C8 and CYP3A4/5 enzyme inhibitor and a diuretic:

FOR THIS REASON, **ALWAYS** double check to see if any other medications (over the counter or otherwise) you might be given in future mess with that transport chain as there are horror stories of doctors not checking this (including mine, which I am still suffering the consequences for now having discontinued spironolactone nearly two years ago now!) and then people with ADHD who are given armodafinil, modafinil and sometimes adderall having a really bad time with kidney problems. Thanks, doc!

Likewise, drink LOTS of water, or you may run into problems with energy levels (brainfog, sleepiness). This goes double if you enjoy alcohol, because spironolactone and alcohol are not friends. It is very tempting to say "haha it makes me a cheap night out, I get drunk fast", but you're also y'know, kinda damaging your liver because the two aren't friends.

Assuming you're transfemme with estrogenic goals, you should aim eventually to achieve monotherapy (estrogen without spiro, where the estrogen levels themselves signal your body to stop metabolizing testosterone based on fancy metabolism curves that some special communities online will share with you if you ask nicely) with subcutaneous estradiol variants (with ethanate being the most ideal typically) and then potentially following up later with progesterone. Importantly, progesterone taken orally metabolizes at 1/10th the strength as uh, other methods which most forms of it are designed for, so please do your own research on that front.

I will also add a second disclaimer that

1: Please take your health very seriously
2: Although doctors obviously know a lot, they are humans just like us and their training and reading has limits on special cases like ours so please keep this in mind. Most of the patients of endocrinologists are cispeople, and all of the medications presented are with cisbodies in mind, so there is a component of uncharted territory here and the doctors are winging it based on the success stories they've seen more than they are either comfortable or liable to admit to you.
3: I'm sure someone in this thread will "um, ackchually" and then go on a big rant about how spironolactone is "fine, actually": I am a single person and I am representing a single experience.
4: I am just a goon on the internet saying things. Do your own reading.

Many transwomen basically end up learning big chunks of endocrinology because doctors do make mistakes and those mistakes have consequences. They're not doctors, but being able to correct an honest mistake, or make well informed inquiries based on blood tests or symptoms is very important.

I'm sorry if this stuff is scary but its super important and can save you a lot of heartache.

Godspeed, don't let this scare you and good luck with your journey.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 6, 2023

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

quiggy posted:

realtalk spiro users please drink more water than you think you need to. yes, every day. yes, it sucks.

Yes, at LEAST 50% more, because the odds are good you were unknowingly dehydrated already BEFORE starting spironolactone.

Ensure your diet contains enough electrolytes: Sodium, calcium, chloride, phosphate, and magnesium
Keep your potassium levels as low as you dare (bananas are essentially banned)

A fun side-effect is its also an acne medication which can be very helpful, and it will also make your skin cause less secondary caustic scattering, since skin is translucent, but not transparent and has roughness so light shines through and gradually gets lost as it goes deeper. Think the same optical property you see when you see candle light shine through wax, and the colour changes, or if you've ever tried to look at a picture on a phone through a really thin slice of meat for whatever bizzare reason.

Very helpful if you're getting laser treatments!
Very very bad if you're out in the sun as you'll burn to a crisp:
Wear sun screen, even if you think you don't need it

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 6, 2023

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

yeah, i already make sure to drink a whole lot and made sure to up how much water i drink too

also i would probably die if i had to do injections regularly, i simply can't

Fair on the needle front, though you'd be surprised what you can get used to if you have to.

I remember for me, the injections seemed scary at first, but they're honestly easy if they're subcutaneous because they're genuinely hard to get wrong and estradiol is a really tiny molecule usually in a very thin suspension so its laughably easy to do with even the 0.08's which you don't even feel. The bit I hate most is prepping the injection, out of fear I'll drop the vial or something like that.

In terms of "I simply can't", intravenous injection or deep muscle injection on the other hand are very scary.

I've got access to neofollin as a backup in ampules for use with filter needles (always use filter needles if you go anywhere near ampules, ever) but its my hope to never need to use it.

thank you for the advice Expo70. i'm trans-non-binary and not hoping to look "femme" so to speak, but i am on estro as well and will keep your advice in mind.

You're welcome.

I know a lot of enby folk who suppressed their identities for many terrible and painful years by trying to reduce themselves to a binary, even while transitioning.

I get a tremendously warm and happy feeling every time I see someone not feel the need to do that, and deeply I'm happy for you.

Repression of the genuine self is not something any human being living or dead should ever have had to do on any level, and it is my deepest wish that one day even the idea itself will so baffle and confuse school children when read of it in the history books written about our time.

That they look back on our era with confusion, and think we are barbaric and stupid in their own blissful ignorance of the difficulties and fears of our era.

I think the very best thing any of us can hope for us that the difficulties of our lives are are so solved, that they become alien to those who come after us.

I think eventually, perhaps as soon as some distant constellation in the twilight years of us here and now, that day will come.

I hope we all live long enough to see that day.

All in all, you do you, wonderful you.

Good luck.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
Friendly reminder: I am not a doctor. Do your own reading.

goblin week posted:

oh yeah a Czech Person I Know is all in on that injectable estradiol but i feel like that's a half-solution considering it's valerate so i'd have to stab myself every 4-5 days. not going to do this poo poo unless i can do at least two weeks. guy style. testosterone undecanoate is a once every two months thing and i am super jealous.

i probably wouldn't inject myself with anything someone cooked at home unless it's like, heroin.

sporadically

The scary bit is not the needle and the stabbing, but the vial and taking very VERY good care of it and its contents.

So for anybody in our audience who might be doing either of these two things:

One thing to be mindful of is if you get bruises not just lumps, there might be pyrogens which are the gibs of bacteria. If there's any bleeding 2 days after the injection and you're not a little bleeder, stop immediately.

If a vial is cloudy, it could be bacteria but it might also be the wrong balance of solvent to suspension.

You can test for this, but its a bit sus:

There's a rule that if you don't trust something in a needle and you're doing injections in an emergency situation and there's no massive time concern, do a small injection into fat and see if it wells up over an hour or so and if it doesn't, only then do IV.

Also no-brainer: DON'T EVER IV estradial. You want it in fat or muscle where it can sit distributing over time and you don't want the suspension/solvent mix gumming you your veins like an idiot.

You should also be cycling not only the position of needles, but the depth of the needle.

If you have any reason to mistrust it, assume bacteria and don't use it.

Pyrogens can trigger long term problems caused by white blood cell response if its persistent enough which range from damaging the stuff in your ears which lets you perform balance to giving you a chronic fatigue condition.

that's why my husband had to switch to gel, he was getting more anxiety over time, not less.

same thing happened to me over a decade or so with my flu shots and such slowly getting worse and worse lol

T tends to be in a thicker more viscous suspension fluid, and the body tends to react a bit more viscerally to it.

In terms of shots, you can actually alleviate the fear by administering eachother's shots since there's no pain on the other end of the action and instead you get thanked by a grateful human being you care about, and thus you don't amplify it with pavlovian response.

I take turns doing it with my partner, and I've essentially completely lost my fear of needles as a result.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 7, 2023

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

i think you just get off on stabbing people more than you fear the needle

ssshhhhhh don't tell them that

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

OldAlias posted:

expo said smth about potassium and bananas being a no go for spiro users but this isn’t strictly true. spiro affects transfemmes very differently and the only way you can tell if it’s gonna be a problem (aside from side effects) is doing your blood work. potassium is in so many things to a similar degree as bananas, like avocados and potatos &c that all this is going to do is make you feel worried about everything for no good reason

the only thing I’d make sure to avoid for sure tho is ‘low sodium soy sauce’ as it’s a huge amount of two different kinds of potassium and can be dangerous

This is why I'm not a doctor, folks. Do your reading and get your goddamn bloodwork done

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

quiggy posted:

i mean the most important thing with spiro is make sure you're getting regular bloodwork done and listening to whatever your doctors tell you

That and breakcore. Sewersvlt is essential listening for the 2020's trans experience.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

hbag posted:

isnt sewerslvt a pedophile that mutilates cats

wait what fr?

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

hbag posted:

nvm it appears i was wrong about that and just got it in my head from reading some poo poo online
she has said some racist poo poo in the past though (that shes now apologised for) plus getting the name "sewerslvt" from junko furuta kinda rubs me the wrong way

gurocore is all about chasing that feeling of "the rub" and finding what else that's unrelated also makes you feel that way

like a lot of art, its all about chasing the sensation of catharsis while forgoing the act of catharsis to level up your ability to understand what you're actually feeling so you can eventually deal with your inner bullshit and have an outlet until you finally do

unfortunately that means its also kinda disturbing sometimes or horrifying but that's kind of the point

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

hbag posted:

yeeeeah but using someone who was raped, tortured and buried in a barrel of cement to base your moniker off is pretty hosed up

hosed up is a feeling. gotta explore all the feelings i guess

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

A Secret 3rd Thing posted:

You do not, in fact, have to do that

I don't and you don't, but some people feel the need to and I don't fully understand why but I do enjoy the weird beats.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Ciaphas posted:

just got an email from HR at work confirming from our insurer's mouth that, retroactive to 5/1/2023, "Male to female breast augmentation is covered under the gender affirming standard approach."

i'm about to explode from the sheer weight of excitement and serendipity, here

Oh that's awesome, congratulations!!

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

quiggy posted:

i did want it at one point but had A Bad Experience so i just never followed through again

some places will do a local with lidocaine/norepinephrine mixture if you ask really nicely but it costs extra and they often need a special technician to do it

if not, you can buy it thru medical suppliers and if you have a friend who knows doctorythings or a nurse you can ask them to do it. a lot of medical students are also happy to do it if you know any and you can pay them.

you put pockets around the essential nerves of the face following a diagram of the pathways of sensing and you put pillows of it around, then massage it against the skin and its own porousness will spread between fat cells and surround the nerves. its very good and not very difficult to do and kind of hard to gently caress up, but you do need a very fine needle (0.08) and you need to be comfortable putting a sharp thing into your own face or letting someone else do it. it'll sting but noway even near as much as electro does

remember it needs to be around 15% norepinephrine to control the swelling and so that the nerves don't panic over the inconsistency of the ion-channels changing and then self-regulate so the pain comes back suddenly all at once during the procedure: it'll make sure lidocaine does its job fully for its full duration

the effective duration is roughly between 35 minutes and 40 minutes with the falloff starting around 25 minutes in. my advice is do the electrolysis in the most sensitive areas first (top lip). fairly often, a person has one side of their face be significantly more sensitive than the other, and its usually the same side as their dominant eye, so start on that side too.

the practitioner should be zapping 10 in a row, and then doing the plucks. doing it in bursts like this is much much faster, and it means if feeling has come back, you know by the first zap in that area.

the feeling coming back begins around the mouth, and slowly moves along the neck, and finally the jawline, though where differs from person to person. when you've got the pattern down, its significantly easier.

word of advice too: don't bring music, because you need to communicate with the practitioner, and don't close your eyes as you should focus on a point in the room. look up the breathing techniques often used by pregnant women, as they do genuinely help with pain management toward the end though if you can get the local you'll be fine for most of it honestly and you don't feel much.

if you can get the local topped up during the procedure, you can literally do the entire face in a single sitting without needing to phase different areas and you can get the entire complete set of procedures done in around 12 sessions. this is legitimately how i think all electrolysis should sincerely be done and i think it should be considered a surgical procedure given it is in many cases literally also a life-saving procedure for dealing with pain management. the fact local isn't standard is frankly barbaric and proof that we basically live in the dark ages if i'm honest.

if you've ever seen memes about slovenia being full of femboys/transwomen, its because in the capital Ljubljana, there's a medical tourism business and its very common for people to pay a cosmetic surgeon to give them the lidocaine shot then immediately get in the car and be driven to an electrolysis place around the corner and get a complete face done. its often cheaper to travel to the country, get that done four or five times, then fly back than it is to even do it once domestically in some countries.

*Friendly reminder: I am not a doctor

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 22, 2023

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

quiggy posted:

yeah, potassium chloride :vd:

e: making it clear for the snype that i do not advocate for the deaths of transphobes. usually.

only when extremely angry, i would think.

sort of like stubbing your toe and cussing, but you feel it in your soul instead of your foot

which may actually be where the soul is, assuming such a thing exists

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff